• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antisocial behaviour on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM352

Not only on pavements but on mixed used paths like canal towpaths. Whizz past like they are trying to set a new world record and get annoyed if they have to slow down due to the path being "busy"
Where I live, the more expensive bikes with owners in lycra have no bell to warn you on mixed path trails.

Back to the trains, in response to the noise folks, is tempting to play traction motor sounds on repeat, or classical music like the flight of the bumblebee.

An idea that wont be allowed in the UK is have a "Singapore on the rails day" where for one day only Sjngapore authorities can visit UK and use their domestic punishment on such people!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Falcon1200

Established Member
Definitely people barging on to trains before people get off is a real bugbear of mine.

Anyone trying to barge past me to get on while I am getting off may well find themselves being barged back.

Another thing that illustrates the same sort of attitude to others is cycling on pavements.

Not only on pavements but on mixed used paths like canal towpaths.

It was only a matter of time before cyclists got dragged into this discussion! We are not all so selfish however, I do not cycle on pavements and on mixed use paths, slow down and use my bell when passing people, no matter how little regard for others they themselves have.....

londonbridge

Established Member
@trainophile not just bikes but e scooters as well.

@Skimpot flyer age seems to be irrelevant, I was threatened with violence and called a c u next Tuesday by an old boy of at least sixty when I challenged him for pushing in the bus queue.

ChilternTurbo

I was reading various reports of the last Cross Country HST service and it reminded me why I tend to avoid services that are likely to be packed out by enthusiasts because of annoying and anti-social behaviour. Am I being unfair?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I was reading various reports of the last Cross Country HST service and it reminded me why I tend to avoid services that are likely to be packed out by enthusiasts because of annoying and anti-social behaviour. Am I being unfair?

It's not new - that was the case in the 1960s, the annual B.R. advertised excursions on August Bank Holiday to the Derby Works Open Day (originally intended aa a garden produce display, I think) were pretty wild. But, oddly, the similar ones to Crewe Works at the beginning of August were much more genteel, everyone remained seated.

Travelmonkey

I have to commend those who step up and question those whom are rude last train into London I took 4 ladies in front of us doing their makeup on the table in a party mood, definitely wish I'd had my headphones on that trip to tune them out, ultimately people are gonna people it's a hazard of public transit.

BJames

Established Member
I have to commend those who step up and question those whom are rude last train into London I took 4 ladies in front of us doing their makeup on the table in a party mood, definitely wish I'd had my headphones on that trip to tune them out, ultimately people are gonna people it's a hazard of public transit.
Sadly these days I think it's a picking your battles type situation. I tend to just turn my music up in my headphones but I am not against saying something if I think it's safe to do so after a quick visual read of the situation. I probably need to get some better noise cancelling headphones as at the moment I have the 3rd gen Airpods but they don't have a noise cancelling feature as such.

blackfive460

Another thing that illustrates the same sort of attitude to others is cycling on pavements. Everyone seems to do it these days, and not with any sense of caution either, they whizz past nearly taking your arm off.
Not a problem where I live. Cyclists can't ride on the pavements due to parked cars blocking it...

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Many moons ago when I was commuting there was a group of kids playing music quite loudly through a phone

Nobody did anything until a woman stood up - walked to the seats they were sitting in and started to sing (very well) an operatic song.

That stopped them!
Was that some years back on a bus in East London? I know an opera singer who did just that, bursting out into full 'can belto' mode. The noisy kids didn't know what had hit them, and afterwards kept as quiet as mice.

alex397

Established Member
While I only travel on trains on the continent about 3 or 4 times a year, this is not something I’ve really witnessed there. Is it more of an issue in Britain? That’s my impression anyway.

I remember in Germany a businesswoman was tapping away very quietly on her laptop. After a few minutes she asked me if it was too loud or not! I’m sure there is antisocial behaviour in other countries but it just doesn’t seem as prevalent.

I don’t mind noise too much - natural noise of people having a conversation and kids playing - that doesn’t bother me at all. But that awful tinny noise of speakerphones is INCREDIBLY grating, and I can’t understand why so many people don’t get that. Its certainly not just younger people, but seems common amongst the ‘boomer’ generation too.

It’s very difficult to intervene too. And I’m not sure it’s always a good idea. I have asked people to turn things down before, but haven’t for a long time since the last person looked like they wanted to beat me up, and goodness knows what the young tracksuited lad may have been carrying! Best not to get involved in most cases.

NeilCr

Was that some years back on a bus in East London? I know an opera singer who did just that, bursting out into full 'can belto' mode. The noisy kids didn't know what had hit them, and afterwards kept as quiet as mice.

No

It was on a train coming into London. I don’t remember exactly which one but it would have been either from Lewisham or somewhere between Ramsgate and Victoria (I think it was quite close to London)

al78

Established Member
Anyone trying to barge past me to get on while I am getting off may well find themselves being barged back.

It was only a matter of time before cyclists got dragged into this discussion! We are not all so selfish however, I do not cycle on pavements and on mixed use paths, slow down and use my bell when passing people, no matter how little regard for others they themselves have.....
Yes very predictable. I cycle on shared use paths occasionally because they are the most convenient and avoid the busiest main roads and junctions (which are likely why at least some inexperienced cyclists ride on pavements even if they shouldn't i.e. the perceived danger from motor vehicles). I have a bell and am very careful around pedestrians as I live in a part of the country with what at times seems to have some of the slowest and most gormless people on the planet. Inconsiderate cycling is bad but I think sometimes pedestrians don't do themselves any favours by being totally unaware of their surroundings and/or buried in their phones. Being vulnerable does not absolve you of at least some responsibility for your own safety. Occasionally I can ring my bell multiple times and be completely ignored so I am forced to ride at 3 mph until I can safely overtake. Dog walkers can be the worst when they stop to have a conversation in the middle of a path junction completely blocking paths in every direction, as though they are doing some form of obstructive protest.

When it comes to traveling by train, I agree with the comments on here about excessive noise from devices which has got worse over recent years. I think the UK population has become more like America in its mindset i.e. very individualistic and thoughtless and maybe the social isolation in the pandemic has exacerbated this. I disagree age has much if anything to do with it. I know there is a trend to put people into generational categories and slap a label on them as if they are all a monotonic group, but gobby people on phones and people playing music/videos on devices as though they are in their home rather than in a public shared space stretches across the generations. Part of this is because people know they don't have to be thoughtful because there are no consequences, and being thoughtful takes more mental effort than being thoughtless.

robertehoward1-2x.jpg

ChrisC

Established Member
I don’t think the dreadful bad mannered behaviour of speaking loudly for long periods on a phone, with the speaker also at full volume, is predominately younger people. When travelling on public transport I find it‘s more often those between the ages of around 25 and 40 who do this. The younger people tend to send more texts rather than speak on the phone. With older people it’s usually just a short conversation regarding where they are and what time they will be home. It can be rather loud if they are slightly deaf, but their short calls often amuse me rather than annoy me. There does seem to be an increase in middle aged men who are obviously gaming with their device on very loud volume during journeys on public transport.

It can be bad on trains but I find it even worse in the more confined space on a bus where you can’t escape them. I hope people don’t see my comments as being racist but I do find a large proportion of the people who speak loudly on phones with speakers on full volume are not speaking English. There‘s no excuse really for not using a phone in the traditional more discreet way. However, there are an increasing number of people who get on a bus with their phone speaker at full volume and have a loud conversation for the whole of their journey. The other week I witnessed a man doing this for a whole journey of over 30 minutes. I think it’s just extreme bad manners.

Sadly, I wouldn’t intervene, because you really do not know how some of these people would react, or what they carrying. I am very tempted to keep a supply of very cheap earphones in my rucksack and hand them out to people!

Krokodil

Established Member
Not that it makes any difference, but phone man was not a teenager, he was in his mid-50s !
I find that teenagers travelling alone are usually all right. If they do play music they switch it off when asked. Groups are different of course. Middle-aged men on the other hand can be really stubborn and rude.

Not only have I had passengers barge past me at my local door to board the train before I've even released the rest of the trains doors I've had people physically push me off the train when they are trying to alight.
I end up hollering "stand back and let people off first". If they block my exit I have sharp elbows. I'll probably end up the subject of a thread on here at some point, just like that one moaning about staff at Crewe telling people to stand back.

Rolling your eyes is a ‘micro aggression’
In which case you can call me 'Genghis Khan'.

I do think it's a myth that everyone was polite to each other in the past.
I think that opportunity to annoy people was lacking in the past. Modern electronic devices are a bit more portable than a gramophone.

When I was a young man , police officers for example had to be quite tall and there used to be a height restriction and you knew that they wouldn't be a pushover. Now youngsters know you can't touch them , well and so called adults.
I witnessed a trespass incident a little while ago. BTP had already arrived but were reluctant to go near laddie who was trying to climb up the signal ladder. Some teenage girl was screeching "don't go near him, he'll jump, he's got ADHD" etc. Then the local force arrived. Two officers marched down, one grabbed hold of laddie and dragged him back up the platform, while the other shouted "GET BACK!" at the girl. No messing around.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I witnessed a trespass incident a little while ago. BTP had already arrived but were reluctant to go near laddie who was trying to climb up the signal ladder. Some teenage girl was screeching "don't go near him, he'll jump, he's got ADHD" etc. Then the local force arrived. Two officers marched down, one grabbed hold of laddie and dragged him back up the platform, while the other shouted "GET BACK!" at the girl. No messing around.
Was this in an electrified area?

PedroHav

I had a guy talking exceptionally loud on his phone. I stared at him and he then said 'what the f***are looking at? Turn round or I'll come and sort you out'
However he continued and gave the guy on the other end good address.
So having his address I sent him a letter advising him that 'he should keep his voice down on public transport, not too be aggressive and not to give our personal details!'
I wonder what he thought when he got the letter ....

trebor79

Established Member
I had a guy talking exceptionally loud on his phone. I stared at him and he then said 'what the f***are looking at? Turn round or I'll come and sort you out'
However he continued and gave the guy on the other end good address.
So having his address I sent him a letter advising him that 'he should keep his voice down on public transport, not too be aggressive and not to give our personal details!'
I wonder what he thought when he got the letter ....
I'd have sent him one of these https://www.glitterretribution.co.uk/ :D

TheJester

Are rail staff given any guidance on this matter?
I was on TPE today and a chap had dance music blaring out on his phone. He had his ticket checked but the member of staff said nothing.

I had to intervene in the end but surely a word from the TPE staff would have been appropriate?

MidweekR

The experience of being around other people is becoming progressively less pleasant. It’s as if the shared sphere is receding and everyone is ensconced in their own personal sphere, oblivious to the fact they’re making life hell for other people with their e-noise.

Krokodil

Established Member
Nothing specifically on this sort of ASB. General guidance on any subject however is "don't put yourself at risk, the company won't thank you if you get thumped".

CFRAIL

I always pick my battles whilst working a service. We're often encouraged to walk away and submit a report. You never know what people are carrying and the abuse, threats and worse aren't worth it...

pinkmarie80

I have to say I’m guilty of a) using speakerphone and b) talking loudly if I do use the phone. I am very hard of hearing so I cannot hear the phone without some kind of amplification. However I use my AirPods wherever possible, although granted I can’t always tell how loudly I am talking. I’m also guilty of having my music on very loud with my AirPods (that’s not how I lost my hearing, incidentally, I’ve had poor hearing from birth)
That’s probably why I never hear anything that’s going on. I am autistic though- so I would rather be plugged into my music and I get quite upset without it.

jon81uk

I was on TPE today and a chap had dance music blaring out on his phone. He had his ticket checked but the member of staff said nothing.

I had to intervene in the end but surely a word from the TPE staff would have been appropriate?

Unless in a quiet coach I wouldn't expect staff to intervene.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unless in a quiet coach I wouldn't expect staff to intervene.

I would like them to intervene in every case - it is a Byelaw breach. If only they were as zealous at pursuing Court cases for people doing this as for evaded fares - the only TOC doing this is Merseyrail, and perhaps the others need to follow.

jon81uk

I would like them to intervene in every case - it is a Byelaw breach. If only they were as zealous at pursuing Court cases for people doing this as for evaded fares - the only TOC doing this is Merseyrail, and perhaps the others need to follow.
Comes back to what was said above though, the risk of harm if the person being asked does react badly is greater than the result by taking action. Most of the time revenue protection staff have extra training and can be accompanied by security or BTP when doing larger scale checks.

CFRAIL

And risk being assaulted, off track and the ensuing shortage of staff leads to cancellations?

Revilo

The problem, both on the railway and in retail for example, that not taking any action just emboldens the scrotes and makes more likely to behave even worse next time - they think they’re untouchable, and often they are. Furthermore, staff are scared to take any sort of hands on approach because the company will treat them as the wrong-doers, especially if the perpetrator complains of hurty feelings or discrimination. In seeking to avoid conflict, the effect is an unsafe public environment for everyone.

baz962

Established Member
The problem, both on the railway and in retail for example, that not taking any action just emboldens the scrotes and makes more likely to behave even worse next time - they think they’re untouchable, and often they are. Furthermore, staff are scared to take any sort of hands on approach because the company will treat them as the wrong-doers, especially if the perpetrator complains of hurty feelings or discrimination. In seeking to avoid conflict, the effect is an unsafe public environment for everyone.
Correction. They know they are untouchable really. Unless they are physically hurting someone , the companies don't really want you to put hands on. And that's not just on the railway and a lot of companies won't back you up and as many people point out on here and other threads they don't want you to hold up the train and cause a delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.