• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any updates regarding the return of on-board catering and reopening of lounges at stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Why not the full range? Is it uneconomical to stock the full range or is it somehow felt that by only stocking limited items people will be put off from travelling - which seems to be the main aim of the government and rail companies at the moment? I can't imagine many people will be put off by a limited trolley service. Or is it because if you stock loads of items people have an excuse to not wear their muzzle mask for a long time?

Probably because fewer people travelling means lower sales. This has implications for date code control on short dated product, e.g. sandwiches, cakes etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Because people won't be using it as much as they once were, due to less demand. So less stock to inevitably waste.

Probably because fewer people travelling means lower sales. This has implications for date code control on short dated product, e.g. sandwiches, cakes etc.

I just wondered if there was a reason specific to the rail industry - I've noticed this reduced range in other places such as Greggs - my local Greggs only seems to sell about 5-10 hot items at the moment.

Journeyman

Established Member
I just wondered if there was a reason specific to the rail industry - I've noticed this reduced range in other places such as Greggs - my local Greggs only seems to sell about 5-10 hot items at the moment.

A lot of it is down to having to maintain physical distancing in kitchens.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Butts

Veteran Member
Restaurants are applying distancing, with tables spaced out etc. Trains aren't in the same way, at least not long term.

Other than a quick sip of water should this be necessary (though I don't get the modern obsession with this - we never used to carry water in the 80s and 90s like people obsessively do now), if we are going for masks rather than distancing on trains, it will also be necessary to prohibit eating and drinking otherwise it will be ineffective. Therefore providing catering is a non-starter.

What about Aeroplanes then ?

I had free crisps and water on a BA Flight weeks ago between London and Glasgow ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What about Aeroplanes then ?

I had free crisps and water on a BA Flight weeks ago between London and Glasgow ?
And some train companies are bringing back catering or have already done so.

duncanp

Established Member
it will also be necessary to prohibit eating and drinking otherwise it will be ineffective.

Are you serious?

So on a long distance train from London to Edinburgh, or like the one I boarded at Derby today that was going all the way to Penzance, people shouldn't have anything to eat or drink, just to satisfy the neuroses of a few coronaphobes.

Of course there is a risk if someone removes a mask to eat or drink, but that risk must be small or neglible, especially if there is reasonable social distancing aboard the train. This is comparable to the situation in restaurants and pubs since they re-opened.

If you have to remove a mask to eat or drink on a train, it is a good idea to take a few precautions such as having a paper hankie to hand to catch any coughs or sneezes, somewhere to put the hankie afterwards and some hand sanitiser if possible. (Remember "catch it", "kill it", bin it")

Banning eating or drinking on long distance trains will drive people away from the railways, and be almost impossible to enforce anyway.

trebor79

Established Member
Banning eating or drinking on long distance trains will drive people away from the railways, and be almost impossible to enforce anyway.
And force them into crowded motorway service stations rather than a relatively quiet train. Great idea.

island

Veteran Member
The human body can use large quantities of water - the advice is up to two litres a day
The study that this incomplete quotation is taken from did indeed say that you should take in two litres of water per day. The next following sentence was “Most of this will come from your food.”

a couple more than that are good and a few more litres are mostly harmless, especially with exercise. That would mean drinking (non-alcoholic drinks) consistently throughout the day.
I do not believe this represents current medical or scientific advice.

FQTV

It was a picture on Twitter, i cant recall the OG poster. Was a picture of trolley and big placard showing limited range. Maybe its in the works.

It was on the platform. They’ve been running a static trolley at Newcastle Central for the last few days. There’s nothing on board.

0DA5E386-BD21-4119-AAA9-E736BA756D9B.jpeg

2CCE11CF-A2FC-4A64-9059-A612B4A7627B.jpeg

Pictures of the static platform trolley originally posted by Twitter user @CAnsleyCXD

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Do they hand out anything Free to 1st Class Passengers from these contraptions ?
I was wondering that, I just looked at their website and it advises people to bring their own snack and that Booze is not allowed on board, so it seems you can not take a can or two of beer or small bottles of wine. :frown:

WindsorJoe

They will not be handing out any items free for first class. There calling it “off board catering “ LNER will be having a few on board hosts operating trolleys on and around LNER managed stations. Selling a limited selection off the trolley menu. So York, Newcastle etc , but not at stations such as Kings Cross and others they do not manage.

takno

Established Member
They will not be handing out any items free for first class. There calling it “off board catering “ LNER will be having a few on board hosts operating trolleys on and around LNER managed stations. Selling a limited selection off the trolley menu. So York, Newcastle etc , but not at stations such as Kings Cross and others they do not manage.
King's cross does at least have Waitrose and pret open, while York only has the Smith's, so might benefit from the trolley

Weirdly the best catered station I've seen recently is Bowes Park

westv

Established Member
No hopping on hoard until there's Hop on Board on board. :D

Bantamzen

Established Member
Meanwhile, as Jet2 restart their flights I noticed this as I was looking for some future flights:

Will food and drinks be served and will menus be available?

Good news – all the usual tasty treats in our in-flight menu will still be available. You’ll be able to choose onboard or you can keep things more contact free by pre-paying for your in-flight food before you take off. You can add meals to your booking here. Our pre-order champagne is still available too.

So if airlines can do it in much more confined areas, surely LNER & other TOCs can figure it out?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, and if XC can do it, so can LNER.

I think LNER will bring catering back soon though.

Essexman

Established Member
I travelled with GWR from Newton Abbot to Paddington last Thursday and they had an unadvertised 'trial' catering service from Exeter.

It was a trolley with limited items in the end First Class coach - which meant that this whole coach was out of us for passengers to sit. Same in the rear portion. The lady serving said this is a temporary arrangement as they will obviously need the seats. We agreed that it would have been far easier had they kept buffets. It was only used by a few people but of course there weren't many on the train.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, and if XC can do it, so can LNER.

I think LNER will bring catering back soon though.

Has the other "biggie" Avanti West Coast reintroduced theirs ?

With regard to XC Catering does it include the normal free 1st Class provisions ?

p.d87

Has the other "biggie" Avanti West Coast reintroduced theirs ?

With regard to XC Catering does it include the normal free 1st Class provisions ?

Avanti do not have an at seat service in 1st class for now. Complimentary snacks plus hot drinks/water can be obtained from the shop for 1st class ticket holders. Shops are also currently being restocked to a higher level due to increased demand however no sandwiches or hot food included for the time being.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I don't see how it's possible to permit first class at seat meals with the masks mandated.

Until this goes, I don't think it will be possible, and sadly Hancock said this morning that won't be until a vaccine.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
The pendolino shops never closed. They've been open throughout with a reduced range of products

How come may I ask (?) because Boris made a speech before the whole of the UK lockdown, stating that "We will stop all non-essential contact".

However, it seems here like Avanti didn't want to lose or upset its customers which you can't complain.

Jayden99

How come may I ask (?) because Boris made a speech before the whole of the UK lockdown, stating that "We will stop all non-essential contact".

However, it seems here like Avanti didn't want to lose or upset its customers which you can't complain.
Easy to fit the screens to the shops on a Pendo, and since you take everything off shelves and the staff member doesn't have to handle them (except coffee IIRC) there isn't much chance of physical contact to pass anything on. Why it's different on the Voyagers I'm not sure.

p.d87

They remained open to provide basics like tea/coffee/water and snacks for keyworkers travelling who may not have been able to get anything before getting on. The shops were never announced onboard as being open. Markings on the shop floor laid to enable the 2m distance and staff given instructions on how to operate safely. If they did close at the start it was briefly and then quickly reopened.

p.d87

Easy to fit the screens to the shops on a Pendo, and since you take everything off shelves and the staff member doesn't have to handle them (except coffee IIRC) there isn't much chance of physical contact to pass anything on. Why it's different on the Voyagers I'm not sure.
Voyager layout does not allow 2m due to the size and minimal distance between staff and customers as the shops are much smaller. You're literally face to face with the staff at the Voyager shops

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
They remained open to provide basics like tea/coffee/water and snacks for keyworkers travelling who may not have been able to get anything before getting on. The shops were never announced onboard as being open. Markings on the shop floor laid to enable the 2m distance and staff given instructions on how to operate safely. If they did close at the start it was briefly and then quickly reopened.

Very organised then - I like it :)!

FQTV

I don't see how it's possible to permit first class at seat meals with the masks mandated.

Until this goes, I don't think it will be possible, and sadly Hancock said this morning that won't be until a vaccine.

If parts of First Class were to be designated ‘Restaurant’, perhaps with a knife and fork annotation in the timetable, I can see a way around things.

Butts

Veteran Member

Hate to be boring but surely what's good for a plane is good for a train - with far more space in 1st Class than in an aircraft cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.