• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Appearing on Game Shows etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Following on from the mention that one of us has applied to take part in the new Crystal Maze show, has anyone here appeared in any other shows in the past - or even in the future?

I know a couple of people who appeared in "Pointless" quite recently. They got to the final, but didn't actually win the jackpot, but I've seen their trophy. I'm sure that if I put my mind to it, I could also think of others who've been on shows in the past as well.

As a follow on, if you've appeared and won a trophy, where do you keep it? Do you follow some Oscar winners and keep it in your toilet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Someone at my old workplace was on The Chase. They didn't do well though.

Howardh

Established Member
I was in trials to get in the Bury "It's A Knockout" squad - and it's as well I failed as they went on to win in Europe as "Jeux Sans Frontieres" in Portugal. And it's on youtube with Portugeuse commentary!

Bury's Proudest Moment. Winning the cup-final 6 - 0? Pah. We won our Joker in front of a billion TV viewers. And so did Ely in '73 final (again, available on youtube!!) with a tiny bit of cheating from the GB judge....

Established Member
I did consider applying for Tipping Point last year, but I decided against it at the time. I might go for it this year though.

EM2

Established Member
I know two people who have been on Countdown. Both got quite soundly thrashed, and one of them was my maths teacher!
And three friends went on Only Connect but were knocked out on a tie-breaker.

Crossover

Established Member
Not been on any myself but a friend was on an episode of The Chase that was broadcast late last year. Also some teachers from my old school were on Eggheads (and did quite well from what I recall)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My bookshop was featured in 'Wycliffe and the Cycle of Death', a pilot for the ensuing TV series in the 1990s. The bookshop owner gets murdered, but I only got an 'extra' part.

Domh245

Established Member
My bookshop was featured in 'Wycliffe and the Cycle of Death', a pilot for the ensuing TV series in the 1990s. The bookshop owner gets murdered, but I only got an 'extra' part.

Credited as Body 1?

Bevan Price

Established Member
I would probably "freeze" with studio fright if I was on live TV. At home, I often beat many of the contestants at the Countdown numbers game, but I am less good at the words games - and there is a big difference between being at home, or being under time pressure in a studio.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Applied and failed countless times for who wants to be a milianair.

Have a couple of friends o facebook who have applied for come dine with me.

I once met someone during a lengthy train trip who had won Popmaster on radio 2.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Someone at my old workplace was on The Chase. They didn't do well though.

One of the "Chasers" is a regular at one of the pub quizzes I attend. His TV persona is "The Beast". My ex appeared on Pointless and won one of the biggest jackpots ever awarded on the show after luckily guessing the name of an MP. A colleague of mine was a team member for Manchester on University Challenge back in the 1990s. I have never appeared on a TV quiz though.

A Challenge

Established Member
One of the "Chasers" is a regular at one of the pub quizzes I attend. His TV persona is "The Beast". My ex appeared on Pointless and won one of the biggest jackpots ever awarded on the show after luckily guessing the name of an MP. A colleague of mine was a team member for Manchester on University Challenge back in the 1990s. I have never appeared on a TV quiz though.
Does anybody but The Beast ever win?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
One of the "Chasers" is a regular at one of the pub quizzes I attend. His TV persona is "The Beast".

Ah, where is he now? The reason I ask is that he used to live in Newport, and took part in several pub quizzes there as well.

Surprisingly, he didn't always win the local ones! They were mostly team quizzes, so I think that he just took part as a team member, rather than for himself.

Thanks for the answers .... keep them coming!

No-one's said where they keep their trophies (if there are any!), yet, either!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

He isn't there every week, and it is a team quiz. But he doesn't win every week. In fact, I've not been for a few weeks either but my parents won the last 2 (Not this week, as my dad and I were at The Etihad).

Ah, where is he now? The reason I ask is that he used to live in Newport, and took part in several pub quizzes there as well.

Surprisingly, he didn't always win the local ones! They were mostly team quizzes, so I think that he just took part as a team member, rather than for himself.

The quiz that The Beast is often at is in Skelmanthorpe near Denby Dale, which is where my parents are based.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
He isn't there every week, and it is a team quiz. But he doesn't win every week. In fact, I've not been for a few weeks either but my parents won the last 2 (Not this week, as my dad and I were at The Etihad).

The quiz that The Beast is often at is in Skelmanthorpe near Denby Dale, which is where my parents are based.

Ah, thanks.

He is a big bloke, though, isn't he? He does look big on the TV, but when you see him in the flesh as it were, he looks massive! He's a nice guy, though.

Sarnian

I sucked at Countdown so I didn't get a teapot, but I have the goodie bag that everyone gets with dictionary, pen, etc. I don't have a special place for that though :P

I framed my University Challenge nameplate and hung it on the wall.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My mum was on Brain of Britain on Radio 4 in about 1981. She won the first one she was on and got through to the semi finals which unfortunately she came 3rd in.
We listened to it in class at primary school as it was on in the day. I was very proud of her and still am :).
Last weekend I did my first ever pub quiz (us and our four neighbours), we came 7th out of 13. Not too bad for a first effort and I think we might do it again. It was fun actually.

I was on Fifteen to One in 2002. Got both my first-round questions wrong, and sat like a lemon while William G Stewart conducted the rest of the quiz.

johntea

Established Member
I've not been on a game show as such but I have been in the audience for the following :

Million Pound Drop LIVE. Managed to catch me and my mate right at the beginning of the show when they did a sweeping shot of the audience :D Every audience member basically had to hand over all belongings and have a quick body search before being allowed in to this one as apparently the million quid in the studio was real money!

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Glad I got to see this before they called it a day, I actually was in the first of the final two episodes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyWmCBC-gyY), by this time of course it was all 'celebrity' but was still great fun to be a part of, Chris Tarrant has a cracking sense of humour off camera! I think I may have given the wrong answer for Ask The Audience :oops:

The Cube. Probably one of my favourites this one, quite interesting seeing how everything is done behind the scenes without the TV magic added post recording! I watched this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbtKZLNlXs then the second contestant on this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5rJ_0GB9V0, you can just about see my shadow in parts as I'm sat directly behind the family and friends section that Schofield keeps going to for advice! The female contestant had a nailbiting climax, so much so you can see me literally jumping out of my seat at the end!

Deal Or No Deal. Absolute pain in the bum to visit the 'Dream Factory', as Bristol isn't exactly next door to Leeds and then they moved the studios a few years ago from quite close to Temple Meads to a 20 odd minute taxi ride out to some industrial estate! Saw two games again here and feature quite a lot in the audience shot, very surreal being so close to Noel Edmonds more than anything! I also went to see one of the final Deal Or No Deal 'On Tour' shows being filmed at the Blackpool Tower recently

I love the whole audience experience but with most being filmed in London and me living in Yorkshire sadly it is quite hard to attend a lot of them, I did see some rubbish pilot game show being filmed at MediaCityUK hosted by Steve Jones which should tell you everything about why it never ended up making it to TV!

miami

Established Member
My dad was on a quiz show about 15 years ago called "the syndicate". He lost fairly spectacularly - yet could hold his own in Merseyside quiz leagues.

I tend to be behind the camera (or holding it in extremes), but I was briefly in shot in the audience of top gear about 10 years ago.

TheEdge

Established Member
A friend was recently on Pointless, he and his missus didn't do too well.

Although a much younger version of me can be heard on an episode of Time Team.

AntoniC

I was on Fifteen To One back in 1989 or 1990.

I was second last to sit down during the second round after an epic grudge battle against another contestant (he made it through to the final but lost).

I got paid £50 cash in expenses for the day, which as I lived in London at the time , and the show was filmed in Wandsworth, made it a profitable day for me !.

Status
Not open for further replies.