• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Approaching ticket barrier with no ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
When meeting somebody at Chester me and my dad always used to buy platform tickets and they were 10p each. Just show it to the guy at the gates and he would let us in and let us out no problem. For the sake of 10p it's no big deal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All this discussion about this; but has it ever really been an issue? I have never, ever, been refused access or exit at any station, especially Birmingham New St, where an explanation that you have just been to see someone off has always sufficed. Even the staff there appreciate that out of the three possible ways to reach the 'paid' side of the station and that it is very, very rare for all three to be staffed.

D2022

Are you meant to know the code? Or is it for use by staff only?

It's technically staff only but a few of us got told it as we are regulars.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Since when has such an action been a right let alone a basic right?

Get real the world does not turn around you (or me for that matter), stop reading the tabloid papers and and ranting like tabloid paper reported trying to stir things up.

I don't read the papers, or watch the news. So I don't get what you say about sounding like them, although others may. As far as the world revolving around me, please, I don't think that at all.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You don't get treated like you're a terrorist though. That is unless the policy is to assume someone without a ticket is a terrorist (and therefore someone with one can't be). Totally flawed logic, based on an exaggeration about basic rights and how you're treated. Clue: you're not treated like a terrorist, or else you'd be stopped, searched and possibly arrested.

Yes, I can accept some gateline staff can be rude - but drop the terrorism/nanny state nonsense!

I can see how it might be a problem if you've entered a protected platform without a ticket and then get stopped coming back out. Can you imagine if you had to assume that everyone without a ticket was innocent until proven guilty? That's why there's the byelaw offence - and a risk you'd take by entering a station without a ticket, or having asked anyone for permission, or getting a platform ticket (or any other ticket).

We have security staff as well as ticket line staff, one of whom is a little nightmare, she
WILL make you turn out your bag and threaten to have to taken and arrested, as will the two other staff on her shift. I've been threatened with arrest by BTP for trespass and even endangerment to the railway, all because I go up the platforms.

As for nanny state, we live in one, most people realise that.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Where is it that staff make you open your bag? And how do they threaten to have you arrested? Nobody can arrest you for a laugh.

I think you're dreaming now.

AndyLandy

Established Member
All this discussion about this; but has it ever really been an issue? I have never, ever, been refused access or exit at any station, especially Birmingham New St, where an explanation that you have just been to see someone off has always sufficed. Even the staff there appreciate that out of the three possible ways to reach the 'paid' side of the station and that it is very, very rare for all three to be staffed.

I've been told explicitly by barrier staff at Southampton Central that I absolutely may not go on to the platforms unless I have a valid travel ticket. I was told that platform tickets had been withdrawn and that only passengers were permitted access. "Just like going airside at an airport" I was told. A friend of mine actually got into the habit of buying a cheap day return from Southampton to Millbrook just to see his wife off on to the train.

As things currently stand, Southampton Central seems to have got better again, I've happily been issued platform tickets on recent occasions, and most staff are happy to let me keep my used ticket, rather than forcing me to surrender it.

But it's certainly not the case that this never happens.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That isn't the issue in this thread though. The OP is already in the station, and is trying to exit, but does not have a ticket, because he has not travelled. If it were a Compulsory Ticket Area, it would be a slightly different issue, but Birmingham N St is not.

D2022

Where is it that staff make you open your bag? And how do they threaten to have you arrested? Nobody can arrest you for a laugh.

I think you're dreaming now.

That was Bath Spa, on the rear gate, as in the one that looks out over the river. I gone onto the station with a railway hi vis, bearing i dont work on the railway. i was informed that was impersonation of railway staff.

AndyLandy

Established Member
That isn't the issue in this thread though. The OP is already in the station, and is trying to exit, but does not have a ticket, because he has not travelled. If it were a Compulsory Ticket Area, it would be a slightly different issue, but Birmingham N St is not.

OK, I can see that a CTA station might be different to a non-CTA one, but your comment was "I have never, ever, been refused access or exit at any station" and whilst I'm sure that's true of you, I don't believe it's a fair representation of the whole state of affairs.

Still, it seems the folks at Soton Ctl have rethought that policy and it is now possible to obtain a platform ticket at the barriers, which I think is a highly reasonable approach.

Flamingo

Established Member
That was Bath Spa, on the rear gate, as in the one that looks out over the river. I gone onto the station with a railway hi vis, bearing i dont work on the railway. i was informed that was impersonation of railwwell, unless ay staff.

Well, unless you were on your way to a fancy-dress party, why were you impersonating a member of railway staff (as anybody wearing rail uniform in a railway station would be).

If it was issue kit, and it had not been issued to you, and it has an identifiable company logo on it, I would consider there would be a very good case for calling BTP to retrieve stolen property.

Lrd

Established Member
I'm a little concerned with the fact the 'D2022' knows a staff only code to get on to the platform, even when they have been refused access at the gateline for whatever reason.

Last edited:

D2022

I'm a little concerned with the fact the OP knows a staff only code to get on to the platform, even when they have been refused access at the gateline for whatever reason.

I'm not the op btw, I know the code as the staff gave me it when I used to commuter every day with a bike, as a simpler means to bring it down to the front of the station, plus makes it easier than annoying the staff to go out for a smoke during delays and such. There are many many people who know it, some are staff most are public

Eagle

Established Member
Well, unless you were on your way to a fancy-dress party, why were you impersonating a member of railway staff (as anybody wearing rail uniform in a railway station would be). If it was issue kit, and it had not been issued to you, and it has an identifiable company logo on it, I would consider there would be a very good case for calling BTP to retrieve stolen property.

I'm a little concerned with the fact the OP knows a staff only code to get on to the platform, even when they have been refused access at the gateline for whatever reason.

And he wonders why he's being treated "like a terrorist"... :roll:

aptisman

All ticket office machines have the capability to issue platform tickets, except Virgin and East Coast machines where the facility is 'greyed' out.

Whether they will depends on local instructions.

Mr Spock

What I don't understand is why anybody would want to meet somebody on New Street platforms unless they needed help.

Those platforms can get very crowded when a train pulls in and where would you stand? each platform has 4 ways out - the overbridge to Navigation St., two sets of steps (one with an escalator) to the main bridge and a lift.

Seems far easier to meet at one of the barrier lines.

Flamingo

Established Member
I'm not the op btw, I know the code as the staff gave me it when I used to commuter every day with a bike, as a simpler means to bring it down to the front of the station, plus makes it easier than annoying the staff to go out for a smoke during delays and such. There are many many people who know it, some are staff most are public

They shouldn't have, and it is a serious breach of security for them to do so. Transec would be down on them like a ton of bricks if known.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Although arguably, the gate code has been given to you for your use by an authorised person so therefore you have permission to use the gate - the use of the gate is a breach of byelaw 9 (3) which states:

No person shall open a barrier or any other gate on the railway except where there is a notice indicating that it may be used by him or with permission from an authorised person.

TP

AndyLandy

Established Member
Although arguably, the gate code has been given to you for your use by an authorised person so therefore you have permission to use the gate - the use of the gate is a breach of byelaw 9 (3) which states:

TP

I think the question is more whether said authorised person was within their rights to give out the code in the first place.

Lampshade

Established Member
I believe that the ticket office at Leeds sells platform tickets.

When meeting somebody at Chester me and my dad always used to buy platform tickets and they were 10p each. Just show it to the guy at the gates and he would let us in and let us out no problem. For the sake of 10p it's no big deal

I can confirm platform tickets are available at both these stations.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I don't know about Lincoln Central though, went there last year during the Lincoln Vintage Vehicle Society Rally on a Sunday, asked at the ticket office about a platform ticket to which i was told to just ask the ticket barrier attendant..

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
I think the question is more whether said authorised person was within their rights to give out the code in the first place.

I see this, however according to the byelaw's definition of the term 'authorised person' is this:

(i) a person acting in the course of his duties who:
(a) is an employee or agent of an Operator, or
(b) any other person authorised by an Operator, or
(ii) any constable, acting in the execution of his duties upon or in
connection with the railway;

Although the person was going about his duties whilst he gave you the code for the gate, I seriously doubt that the act of giving you the code was a part of his duties. Are you able to identify the person who gave it to you? Does he still work for the company?

I would argue that, even-though everybody does it, it doesn't make it right. I would refrain from using the gate immediately.

Also of note is byelaw 9 (2) which says:

Where the entrance to or exit from any platform or station is via a manned or an automatic ticket barrier no person shall enter or leave the station, except with permission from an authorised person, without passing through the barrier in the correct manner.

Using the side gate is not passing through the barrier in the correct manner, so therefore arguably you have two possible offences to prosecute for, if/when it comes to such point.

TP

D2022

Well, unless you were on your way to a fancy-dress party, why were you impersonating a member of railway staff (as anybody wearing rail uniform in a railway station would be).

If it was issue kit, and it had not been issued to you, and it has an identifiable company logo on it, I would consider there would be a very good case for calling BTP to retrieve stolen property.

I was issued the HV by a TOC when I worked for them. Said TOC never asked for them back, therefore I kept them and since have acquired more through preservation.

I have checked the legality of the issue and I haven't breached any law or bye law as the HV is all names with defunct companies' logos. I Simply use them as a means to stay safe when cycling.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The side-gate may not be part of the "automatic ticket barrier" so byelaw 9 (2) may not apply. It would depend what the gate looked like
Ignore that, I misread the quote

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
I was issued the HV by a TOC when I worked for them. Said TOC never asked for them back, therefore I kept them and since have acquired more through preservation.

I have checked the legality of the issue and I haven't breached any law or bye law as the HV is all names with defunct companies' logos. I Simply use them as a means to stay safe when cycling.
Fair enough, but you may still be mistaken for rail staff, especially if using a controlled entrance. If station staff wish to involve BTP you may be in for a very interesting 30 minutes or so, legalities notwithstanding.

cambsy

On Moderation
I have gone up to Barrier staff at Bristol Temple Meads and asked if can go on platform and watch trains, just been allowed through, no questions asked, been good hour or two, no problems, not given ticket, i just ask straight out, do same if want take photos on my phone, if u ask staff they are normally fine.

D2022

Fair enough, but you may still be mistaken for rail staff, especially if using a controlled entrance. If station staff wish to involve BTP you may be in for a very interesting 30 minutes or so, legalities notwithstanding.

Oh definitely, I fully appreciate what your saying there, and BTP are usually cool about it so I've carried on doing it. I'm not trying to impersonate anyone so they leave me be usually. just one or two officers get there police on about it excuse the saying :lol:

Goatboy

Established Member
Why is it so important to meet those few seconds earlier?

Because for some of us, it just is.

I have been regularly meeting/saying goodbye from the platform for years. Every time I do it I simply politely ask the person at the gateline, who lets me through, and I return 10 minutes later and thank them again. I must have done it almost a hundred times over the last 5 years or so and not once - at any station, anywhere, have I met with anything other than polite and accomodating staff who are only too happy to let me through and back out again.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Does anyone know the best way to get on the platform at Leeds?

Do the barrier staff provide a platform ticket, or is it best to ask at the booking office?

You can buy a platform ticket at 20p only from ticket office, valid for 1 hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.