• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are our railways haunted? (ghost stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.

berob91

I have been fascinated with this thread. Some very good stories! I myself have had a very brief encounter with a ghost but not railway related. I'm also a professional photographer and have to say some of the images that have come up on here are rather bewildering.

I found this clip a while ago, there was a better quality video but that has been removed. What do you think? I'm keeping an open mind about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtEMgHP6X7E&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
The chair moving is amusing, but that video is scary because...?

Sorry. It takes a hell of a lot to scare me. I've sat through two Saw films without flinching - first time. The girls here even insist on having me around because they get scared...

umontu

The chair moving is amusing, but that video is scary because...?

Sorry. It takes a hell of a lot to scare me. I've sat through two Saw films without flinching - first time. The girls here even insist on having me around because they get scared...

Most horror films lack in horror. I remember watching the Ring 2 and nearly being thrown out of the room by my female friends due to predicting every twist and turn the plot took... :D Was a pathetic film quite frankly. The same with the Final Destination series. They're so predictable and all the accidents of fate look so staged!

Anyhoo, back to trains and 'ghosts'. Quite frankly never had an experience though Miley tunnel near me is meant to be haunted by a young woman and little children.

berob91

Does anyone have or know of any railway ghost stories from Somerset or the South West?

Also, I hear on the Severn Valley line that theres a part which apparently on a dark cold night you can hear a steam train. Anyone else heard that story?

Yew

Established Member
Most horror films lack in horror. I remember watching the Ring 2 and nearly being thrown out of the room by my female friends due to predicting every twist and turn the plot took... :D Was a pathetic film quite frankly. The same with the Final Destination series. They're so predictable and all the accidents of fate look so staged!

Anyhoo, back to trains and 'ghosts'. Quite frankly never had an experience though Miley tunnel near me is meant to be haunted by a young woman and little children.

Final destination, reminds me of my RE lessons. last lesson before christmas one year. "We have three choices, a film about a journey (final destination) a Film about a religious man (the bulletproof monk) or a film about a prophet (the life of brian)"

HST Power

Established Member
Final destination, reminds me of my RE lessons. last lesson before christmas one year. "We have three choices, a film about a journey (final destination) a Film about a religious man (the bulletproof monk) or a film about a prophet (the life of brian)"

I wish my RE lessons had been like that!

Bittern

Established Member
Also, I hear on the Severn Valley line that theres a part which apparently on a dark cold night you can hear a steam train. Anyone else heard that story?
It might be the section between Kidderminster and Bridgenorth. Apparently, if you go on a weekend, you hear some steam trains! Scary! :o

Bittern

Established Member
Or during the steam gala towards the end of September (they usually run through the night)
Oooh, sounds like quite an experience. I might just have to go and, erm, investigate. I'll take my camera to try and catch any, um, proof! Yes, that's what I'll do.

AndyJB

It might be the section between Kidderminster and Bridgenorth. Apparently, if you go on a weekend, you hear some steam trains! Scary! :o

In all fairness the SVR used to go a lot further than the current heritage railway does - the track on the section from Bridgnorth to Buildwas, for example, is long gone.

It had a few branch lines connected too (Stourport-on-Severn, Tenbury Wells, Cleobury Mortimer) so it could perhaps be one of numerous trackless sections that this refers to.

kennethw

an overseas one regarding the Central Railway of Peru. A nasty smash occurred on Chaupichaca viaduct, when an out of control loco, sliding downhill on greasy rails, smashed into a crane renewing a span. The force of the collision was so great, that engine, crane and some 200 men fell to their deaths. Legend had it that the tunnel was haunted by the spirits of the dead and the dead engineer would walk the tracks climbing aboard locomotives in search of old aquaintences to tell them where his remains were
(source Fawcett Railways of the Andes)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not quite a railway or a ghost but one man claims to see an orb following the path upwards/downwards of the West Cliff Railway in Hastings (read in Haunted Hastings book).

Bittern

Established Member
I find the story of "Western Princess" appearing on a train the same time it was being scrapped as very interesting.

berob91

http://http://www.abrail.co.uk/Images/Addiscombe%20May%209th%20%201989%20Philip%20Stuart.jpgDoes anybody know where the mysterious 'Bridge 173' is?

Set in the West Country. Mentioned in W.B.Herberts book 'Railway Ghosts & Phantoms' Chapter 51.

Also, Chapter 32 'The Ghostly Caretaker' is supposedly in the West Country.

Would absolutley love any information on either. I have looked into wether it is Bridge 173 of the S&DJR but failed to find a picture.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And whilst I remember, As well as taking a keen interest on Railway Ghosts & Phantoms I am writing a book on the West Somerset Mineral Railway (Only one book soley on the railway was ever written).
I was very happy after speaking to some family friends who live in the area of reports of steam locomotives still moving about and the re-enactment of a fatal crash. Now I will say that the West Somerset Railway (B&ER, GWR and BR(W)) does go past where the track bed is but only for about 1/4 of the line.
The storys are as follows which I took from the paranormal website after speaking to my friends.

Cries of the Wounded
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Mid twentieth century
Further Comments: A collision between two steam engines at the site in 1857 resulted in several people dead and seriously injured - locals have reported hearing the accident repeated at night, some even seeing the engine pass by.

Train Whistle
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: A train hasn't travelled here since the early part of the twentieth century, though this hasn't halted the reports of steam whistles and the traditional 'chuff' of an old engine.

Train and Trucks
Location: Watchet (Somerset) - Disused railway lines in the area
Further Comments: Even though the railway lines had been closed for many years, people were still reporting hearing and seeing phantom locomotives moving around the area. Disembodied laughter, thought to belong to children, also haunt the same area.

I was very pleased at finding something in black & white about the whole thing. If you go on the Heritage website for the Mineral Line there are orginal reports from local press etc of people who had been killed on the line. For example, a lad running onto the platform to catch his train but slipping and falling underneath the wagons....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And Finally...
Addiscombe%20May%209th%20%201989%20Philip%20Stuart.jpg

Now I have seen mentioned on here 'Addiscombe Carriage Shed'. Well, I have done re-search and went hunting for pictures of the shed to see what the atmosphere is like. When I went and zoomed in on this picture I noticed a very blurry grey figure stood literally above the grey box on the side of the line and immediatley to the left of the red pole. I have read that 'road no.4; is supposed to be haunted and that is the lane in which he is standing in.

Now it could of course be a real person but noting that the image is indeed in focus and that you wouln't get much detail, I beleive it's something else. Of course keeping an open mind.

Would love to hear your opinion

Last edited:

berob91

Seems my last post was deleted so i shall put all of what I said onto it again.:(

I have been reading W.B.Herberts Railway Ghosts & Phantoms. In chapter 51 and 52 there is this infamous Bridge 173. In chapter 52 it mentions that this bridge is in the West Country (where I live) and was wondering if anyone else knew anything about it?

Secondly, I did some re-search on Addiscombe Carriage Shed and looked for some images of it. I found one on the web taken from a train looking into the shed. Now if you look above the grey box beside the track and immediatly left of the red pole you will notice a grey figure. Odd that he is not focus and dosen't have a great deal od detail un-like the rest of the image. As a photographer I fail to see what it is.... Take a look for yourself.:D

http://www.abrail.co.uk/Images/Addiscombe%20May%209th%20%201989%20Philip%20Stuart.jpg

Thirdly and Finally. I am at current writing a book on the West Somerset Mineral Railway (Those that don't know it's not the one that goes to Minehead) which closed down over a hundred years ago. Now I won't go into details of the railway as my book will explain that but after doing research in the area I spoke to some close family friends who told me that the remenants of the railway are said to be haunted. Un-usually in the part that has very little remaining of the original line. The re-enactment of a crash there is said to repeat itself too. Here's the small details from Paranormal website:

Cries of the Wounded
Further Comments: A collision between two steam engines at the site in 1857 resulted in several people dead and seriously injured - locals have reported hearing the accident repeated at night, some even seeing the engine pass by.

Train Whistle
Further Comments: A train hasn't travelled here since the early part of the twentieth century, though this hasn't halted the reports of steam whistles and the traditional 'chuff' of an old engine.

Train and Trucks
Further Comments: Even though the railway lines had been closed for many years, people were still reporting hearing and seeing phantom locomotives moving around the area. Disembodied laughter, thought to belong to children, also haunt the same area.

In the Washford Watchet part of the line it does run alongside the GWR West Somerset line but accordingly no trains were run on that part when these events took place. The line dosen't often run into darker hours unless on a gala.

Would love to hear what anybody has to say on these matters. Certainly on Bridge 173!

valenta

Seems my last post was deleted so i shall put all of what I said onto it again.:(

I have been reading W.B.Herberts Railway Ghosts & Phantoms. In chapter 51 and 52 there is this infamous Bridge 173. In chapter 52 it mentions that this bridge is in the West Country (where I live) and was wondering if anyone else knew anything about it?

Secondly, I did some re-search on Addiscombe Carriage Shed and looked for some images of it. I found one on the web taken from a train looking into the shed. Now if you look above the grey box beside the track and immediatly left of the red pole you will notice a grey figure. Odd that he is not focus and dosen't have a great deal od detail un-like the rest of the image. As a photographer I fail to see what it is.... Take a look for yourself.:D

http://www.abrail.co.uk/Images/Addiscombe%20May%209th%20%201989%20Philip%20Stuart.jpg

Thirdly and Finally. I am at current writing a book on the West Somerset Mineral Railway (Those that don't know it's not the one that goes to Minehead) which closed down over a hundred years ago. Now I won't go into details of the railway as my book will explain that but after doing research in the area I spoke to some close family friends who told me that the remenants of the railway are said to be haunted. Un-usually in the part that has very little remaining of the original line. The re-enactment of a crash there is said to repeat itself too. Here's the small details from Paranormal website:

Cries of the Wounded

Train Whistle

Train and Trucks

In the Washford Watchet part of the line it does run alongside the GWR West Somerset line but accordingly no trains were run on that part when these events took place. The line dosen't often run into darker hours unless on a gala.

Would love to hear what anybody has to say on these matters. Certainly on Bridge 173!

Some spooky stories there, personally I don't believe them. But they still frighten me!

Hides behind chair

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Train Whistle

I wonder if any of the residents of that area are familiar with the Clive Cussler novel "Deep Six" ( one of the Dirk Pitt series ) which describes in great detail exactly how to fake this kind of haunting - and it's surprisingly easy to do...??

berob91

I wonder if any of the residents of that area are familiar with the Clive Cussler novel "Deep Six" ( one of the Dirk Pitt series ) which describes in great detail exactly how to fake this kind of haunting - and it's surprisingly easy to do...??

I doubt it, I'm from the area and I doubt the people of Washford would bother. I mean I wanted to start a ghost legend on the WSR by dressing up in railway uniform and wondering the line with a oil lamp until I read about the Ghost at Dunster.

What I will say though is that the WSR runs alongside this part of the WSMR. I've walked down it after a train on the WSR has passed and still heard a whistle 15 minutes later. I don't know. But the people I know have claimed the whistle be heard at night time and during the early hours. But I'm not saying by any means that they heard it. It could of course be the WSR running a later train (not un-common during the gala periods)

Also, I beleive you were going to tell me some storys Peter...

12CSVT

Established Member
I doubt it, I'm from the area and I doubt the people of Washford would bother. I mean I wanted to start a ghost legend on the WSR by dressing up in railway uniform and wondering the line with a oil lamp until I read about the Ghost at Dunster.

What I will say though is that the WSR runs alongside this part of the WSMR. I've walked down it after a train on the WSR has passed and still heard a whistle 15 minutes later. I don't know. But the people I know have claimed the whistle be heard at night time and during the early hours. But I'm not saying by any means that they heard it. It could of course be the WSR running a later train (not un-common during the gala periods)

It is also probable that shunting could be taking place at Williton (a very short distance from Watchet) long after the last public trains have stopped running

berob91

It is also probable that shunting could be taking place at Williton (a very short distance from Watchet) long after the last public trains have stopped running

Definatley not. Williton isn't close enough for sound to travel that far beleive me. I'm often on the railway either photographing or visiting parts for research. Shunting goes on at Washford as they have a shunting yard (belonging to the S&DJR trust) but it's very very rare that locomotives run after dark and never in the early morning.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Yes, thank you for reminding me; I'd forgotten - it'll be on the other paranormal thread, though, as it's not railway related. I'll try and make time to do this tomorrow.

berob91

Thank you Peter. I look forward to it.

I strongly recommend 'Railway Ghosts & Phantoms' by W.B. Herbert. I struggled to put it down.

Any more books of Railway Ghosts? I have the J.A. Brooks one and am about to start it.

Also, any known railway ghost photographs? I had another look on the Addiscombe shed one I put up but it could be one of the workers...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Posted it a few minutes ago.:)

I have the J. A. Brooks book myself; I *think* that's the only railway specific ghost book I have so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.