• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are the elderly not respected enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
In many cultures the elderly are highly respected, In the UK its frequently the opposite as this thread clearly demonstrates.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
In many cultures the elderly are highly respected, In the UK its frequently the opposite as this thread clearly demonstrates.

And the elderly are respected. Politicians (specifically Labour) give pensioners pretty much all they want. How often do you see a pensioner (who is alive) being arrested/going to court/going to jail?

But why can't I be respected the same? You know equality and all... Oh, wait sorry. It's one rule for kids/teenagers and another for the elderly isn't it... There was a pensioner on my Metro the other day who hadn't paid for his Gold Card which is £12 for a year. The CSA checked and told him he needed to pay the guy's response was 'Yeah, I know.' The CSA walked away and proceeded to penalty fare a teenager who hadn't bought a ticket (they said they couldn't afford it). What's the difference between the two cases? Only difference I can see is is that one is a pensioner, the other was a chavvy teenager. Neither had paid for a ticket, and the pensioner even admitted he knew he had to get one...

I also bet during the student protests a few years back the pensioners were complaining saying 'Look at those bloody kids wrecking the streets.' Same for the Riots in 2011, although that's different.

Last edited:

34D

Established Member

Maybe because they're so expensive to keep! Bus passes, healthcare, state pension. And for what? To prolong the inevitable.

The amount of my thirty something friends who say "I wish they'd pop off" in respect of their elderly parents is staggering.

I do not wish to be a burden on my family whenI become that age

meridian2

Because in the UK we're much more single-minded. Look at the amount of opposition there is to the royal family for instance.
People say 'they (the elderly) cost us money'. Hasn't it ever occurred to people that it costs them more money than it does you? No, because Number One is more important.

However, this thread they broke the law, and this thread demonstrates society's attitude to criminals, not to the elderly in general.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If we want to go deep into history, we could look into the full implications of the Vagabonds and Beggars Act 1495, then the establishment of almshouses. The original matter of pensions as basically understood today goes back some 106 years, to the Old Age Pensions Act 1908. After World War II, the Labour party in its period of Government brought Acts into force such as the National Insurance Act 1948.

So the matter of pension provision that has been mentioned somewhat overmuch on this thread is not, as some of our younger members assume, something that the current State Pension recipients receive now that people of current employable age pay contributions for, giving the impression that the current recipients are given without paying any contributions during their working life. It is 66 years since the contributions to State Pensions have been a matter of course, which most certainly covers the vast number of those currently receiving the State Pension.

As I said earlier, the financial means of both my wife (72) and I (69) are those that the supplementary private pension contributions that both of us began to pay into at early ages in addition to those company pension schemes, coupled to the receipt of the State Pension, provide us with a standard of living that both of us had the sense to see when we were both in the early days of our working lives.

The phrase best suited to this is...Personal Responsibility.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Maybe because they're so expensive to keep! Bus passes, healthcare, state pension. And for what? To prolong the inevitable.

The amount of my thirty something friends who say "I wish they'd pop off" in respect of their elderly parents is staggering.

I'm assuming this is a joke post ?

I've been working since I was 16 and 3 months, permanently employed and never made an unemployment claim in my life, I paid National Insurance for the entire period I was working and, naturally, Income tax which I still pay on my Railway pension, so I think I've paid my share towards a bit of healthcare and my state pension in a few years time, unless they change the age again before I get there of course

I won't add an honest comment on your 'To prolong the inevitable', if that is a serious comment then I think you're already a burden on your family, hopefully you just have a very unusual sense of humour exemplified by your post

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I don't think the elderly are disrespected in our society, but I do think there is an increasing generation gap, which will only get larger and more resentful as the pension age is increased, non-essential services get cut, more privileges revoked et cetera. There's going to be a lot of major shifts. I won't be around to see them, thankfully!

I volunteer with the elderly, and have met a few who fret they simply exist for the sake of existing; that they are a burden. There's a lot that needs to be done to help guide people who are unsure of what to do, or indeed, what they can do.

Sorry for the meandering in this post - I've been awake for nearly two days.

[youtube]dKw5BUvUd9o[/youtube]

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

I can't really say what I want to say on a public forum, so I'll restrict myself to the following.

It's the cycle of life. Babies and children need a lot of looking after, which is often provided by a parent or parents, along with government funding by way of financial payments, education, pre and post maternity support, and dozens of other things.

At the other end of life, people also require support, which, like with children, is usually a mixture of government funding and family. I don't see caring for elderly and ill relatives as a burden at all. It is a return on the money and love that was given to me and my wife when we were young and incapable of fending for ourselves. To take the argument of prolonging the inevitable further, why bother helping anyone, we all die in the end, and think of all of the money we could save by not trying to extend the life of anyone who is sick with a progressive and life shortening condition. Why stop at pensioners, let's just withdraw healthcare for everyone, after all, the planet is over populated and the situation is just as unsustainable as the welfare state.

I think that your friends may not be too serious when they make their comments. Anyone who has lost a parent as my wife has, will know only too well the grief and regret that ensues. I hope so, anyway, otherwise there isn't much hope for the future if compassion and respect disappears completely.

Bill Stanier

Well, we may be old but we can at least use our wonderfully rich language correctly!

I do hope all your rather unpleasant sounding friends are not typical. That's an appalling attitude to have!

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Respect doesn't come automatically with age - it has to be earnt! I have respect for a lot of people, but I don't use age discrimination to work out who deserves respect. I think this post sums up a lot.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

I can only assume you're WUMming.

Greenback said:
It's the cycle of life.

It is, but I think this is actually where a lot of the resentment comes from.

The "baby boomer" generation have been incredibly privileged throughout their life, starting with free higher education and excellent final salary pensions right through to free bus passes and free TV licences.

Instead of accepting that these are privileges, all we hear is bleating about how everything is "unfair" and how there's "no respect for our elders". The free bus pass, introduced barely a decade ago, is seen as a right that they have "earned". Every time the Government suggests that wealthy pensioners ought to pay towards their own social care there's an outcry about how it's a "disgrace". SYPTE are asking old people to pay something towards the cost of the train services they want to use and the "freedom ride" protesters think they're Rosa Parks, bravely fighting injustice where they see it.

These privileges are now being paid for, in full, by today's working age adults.

If today's working age adults thought that there was the slightest chance of getting the same privileges, there wouldn't be an issue. But we know there isn't. A woman of my generation will now be retiring at least seven years later than someone who was born in 1945. Our pension contributions are higher than they were for the "baby boomers", we'll be paying contributions for potentially ten years more than the "baby boomers" and the pension we receive will be lower- "career average" rather than final salary. My household income is in the top 20% in the country yet buying a house in the town I live is only a pipe dream.

We're in a situation where today's working age adults are paying through the nose for privileges they will never see, for people who seem inherently ungrateful for the benefits they have received and are continuing to receive.

Respect is earned. You don't earn respect by throwing your toys out of the pram like a spoiled toddler when you don't get your own way. You don't earn respect by treating every privilege as a God-given right. The "freedom ride" protestors are doing exactly that.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
does anyone actually know what period the baby boom covers? I used to think that I was in the range (1960) but ISTR that it finished earlier

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It is, but I think this is actually where a lot of the resentment comes from.

The "baby boomer" generation have been incredibly privileged throughout their life, starting with free higher education and excellent final salary pensions right through to free bus passes and free TV licences.

I can't argue with that.

Instead of accepting that these are privileges, all we hear is bleating about how everything is "unfair" and how there's "no respect for our elders". The free bus pass, introduced barely a decade ago, is seen as a right that they have "earned". Every time the Government suggests that wealthy pensioners ought to pay towards their own social care there's an outcry about how it's a "disgrace". SYPTE are asking old people to pay something towards the cost of the train services they want to use and the "freedom ride" protesters think they're Rosa Parks, bravely fighting injustice where they see it.

I don't believe that the majority of elderly people, and they are a variety of ages, not just the baby boomers, think in that way. There are a vociferous minority in South Yorkshire who are attracting publicity, but they are not representative of the views of everyone.

What I object to is the notion that old people cost too much, that they should be dead and we that they are a burden on society.

These privileges are now being paid for, in full, by today's working age adults.

Indeed they are, and not just by those in their 20's and 30's either.

If today's working age adults thought that there was the slightest chance of getting the same privileges, there wouldn't be an issue. But we know there isn't. A woman of my generation will now be retiring at least seven years later than someone who was born in 1945. Our pension contributions are higher than they were for the "baby boomers", we'll be paying contributions for potentially ten years more than the "baby boomers" and the pension we receive will be lower- "career average" rather than final salary. My household income is in the top 20% in the country yet buying a house in the town I live is only a pipe dream.

What this means, effectively, is that the aspirations and expectations have to change for all generations, including the free rail fares protesters. There is nothing to be gained by a generational war. We can't blame the older generation for believing they would be looked after, that is what the governments told them, and by the time reality hit home (for some in their 80's now it never did) that pensions as structured were becoming unsustainable, it was too late to do much about it.

To be frank, the whingeing of younger workers about what a rough deal they have is likely to come across as little better than the fares protestors in terms of self entitlement, especially as only a few generations ago the young had to face being slaughtered in wars on a mass scale, poverty, disease and starvation. Comparing generation to generation is ultimately pointless, and I wish both sides would just accept that things are the way they are, fair or not.

We're in a situation where today's working age adults are paying through the nose for privileges they will never see, for people who seem inherently ungrateful for the benefits they have received and are continuing to receive.

That's about it, yes. And while I agree that someone aged 20 now will have it worse than someone who is aged 60 at the moment, and I can't see thing improving much in the future, we'd all better get used to it. It may be true that reform of the system has been undertaken too late, did not go far enough or both, but the bottom line is we either have a civilised society where the old, young and vulnerable are looked after by those who are none of those things, or we abandon such principles and head towards the abyss.

Respect is earned. You don't earn respect by throwing your toys out of the pram like a spoiled toddler when you don't get your own way. You don't earn respect by treating every privilege as a God-given right. The "freedom ride" protestors are doing exactly that.

I agree. Their protests were misplaced in regard to free train travel.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What I object to is the notion that old people cost too much, that they should be dead and we that they are a burden on society.

Definitely, the idea of anyone sitting down and believing that they are a "burden" is heartbreaking. The idea that anyone thinks someone else is a "burden" is disgusting.

Some services are burdensome, but that's not the same thing at all.

Comparing generation to generation is ultimately pointless, and I wish both sides would just accept that things are the way they are, fair or not.

I don't think there's much chance of that. These protestors are whingeing about how "they've paid tax all their life" and that they "deserve" a free bus pass because the free bus pass was a "promise" from the Government.

For many pensioners, they'd retired before the free bus pass was even invented, so to now protest it as a "right" is utterly ridiculous.

For my part, I accept that things are unlikely to change. My works pension scheme has a huge deficit, and at some point someone is going to have to pay for that. It'll probably be me. I don't blame people who are taking the pensions they're entitled to.

What I do object to is the "poor me" attitude we see so often from baby boomers who didn't "fight in a war", despite what they claim. A bit of gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Definitely, the idea of anyone sitting down and believing that they are a "burden" is heartbreaking. The idea that anyone thinks someone else is a "burden" is disgusting.

Some services are burdensome, but that's not the same thing at all.

Absolutely.

I don't think there's much chance of that. These protestors are whingeing about how "they've paid tax all their life" and that they "deserve" a free bus pass because the free bus pass was a "promise" from the Government.

For many pensioners, they'd retired before the free bus pass was even invented, so to now protest it as a "right" is utterly ridiculous.

Agreed. As we can see, they haven't done their cause or older people any service by their actions, although I respect their right to peaceful protest.

For my part, I accept that things are unlikely to change. My works pension scheme has a huge deficit, and at some point someone is going to have to pay for that. It'll probably be me. I don't blame people who are taking the pensions they're entitled to.

Sadly, I suspect you are right, unless there is a massive change in the world economic system away from the capitalist dogma, but that's another discussion for another time!

What I do object to is the "poor me" attitude we see so often from baby boomers who didn't "fight in a war", despite what they claim. A bit of gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

The baby boomers that I know, and there are a few of them, no more express a poor me attitude than do the younger people I know say that their parents and other seniors should pop off sooner rather than later!

Obviously extremes exist on both sides of the debate, and as usual they seem to feed off each other to the point where the real point of discussion becomes lost.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
It doesn't half get on my wick when old people say that us youngsters have no respect for them! Most young people are willing to do things like hold doors open and help them off buses and trains. Respect is earned not given! With the respect they give us it's no wonder why kids screw them over these days!

That said, I have never had a go at an old person or aired my views or whatever you may want to accuse me of.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
You could say the same thing about the elderly not having enough respect for young people.

I had an old lady rant at me a few months back for daring to use the bus! She was on about how its disgusting how you students move into their city and make the bus busy. I couldn't resist pointing out that I am not a student, I work, I pay tax, effectively fund her free travel though paying tax and pay for the bus journey myself too. She didn't have a clue how to reply someone actually standing up to the rubbish she was on about.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I guess that these generational gaps and all these misconceptions on both sides come about simply because how you grow up is really formative in what your standards are when it comes to living/morals/quality of life etc. The world now is very different from how it was in 1960, but that doesn't mean that attitudes always change with it.

The thing is, if you spent your whole life in a welfare state and (from the point of view of today's youth) being very privileged, it's a bit of a shock when it's all taken away. Combined with rose-tinted glasses about how things used to be, I can totally understand how older people might be more than a bit miffed when the younger generations complain at them and try to take away what they see as the bare minimum. When you've had something all your life it's a bit harsh when it's taken away from you, even if it's by someone who never had that. I mean, I doubt any of us would be happy moving to live a rural Chinese peasant lifestyle on the justification that many people in sub-Saharan Africa have it even worse. It's all relative, and your standards are set by what you're used to. Over your lifetime, though, they tend to be pretty solidified by the time you're around 20 for various reasons that aren't totally understood. Regardless of why it happens however, this is a well-known and extremely common phenomenon.

That all being said, there must be a way to communicate the fact to pensioners that it is not their God-given right to have all this stuff when the country is in trouble, especially when things will only become more expensive as the baby boomers get older, more infirm and generally more work to take care of. Whilst this will subside by around 2035, it's still a very long time to be spending far more on pensions than we can really afford. It's a very difficult balance to strike.

With regards to people respecting their elders though, I'm with those who say respect should be earned. I may have a little more automatic respect for those older than me when it comes to learning, but that's only because it's more likely that they'll know more than me/be more experienced. Unless someone's disabled or otherwise in need, though, there's no way I'm prioritising them over anyone else when it comes to something like holding doors open, going the extra mile to help etc: they get the same treatment as everyone else.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Could someone clarify why elderly people are automatically deserving of respect? That is what the question posed in the title suggests and I'm unclear why they should garner respect automatically when no other group appears to hold such a privilege?

does anyone actually know what period the baby boom covers? I used to think that I was in the range (1960) but ISTR that it finished earlier

I don't think there's ever been a fixed definition. From what I've read it appears that anyone born between 1945 and 1955 is definitely a Boomer but beyond that it gets a bit fuzzy. Some would consider it to run as late as the early 1960s (the US Census Bureau considers it to end in 1964 for instance) others would say the early 1950s.

ExRes

Established Member
I think this may be getting lost in translation a little, as a kid I was taught by my parents to respect my elders out of basic politeness and decency, I was also taught, as a male, to show respect to females as in offering my seat, opening doors etc, I was taught to show respect by not effing and blinding in public, to show respect to a police officer, to my work colleagues and managers

I see the modern world as almost devoid of any respect whatsoever, so why pick out pensioners as being 'privileged' ?

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I think this may be getting lost in translation a little, as a kid I was taught by my parents to respect my elders out of basic politeness and decency, I was also taught, as a male, to show respect to females as in offering my seat, opening doors etc, I was taught to show respect by not effing and blinding in public, to show respect to a police officer, to my work colleagues and managers

I see the modern world as almost devoid of any respect whatsoever, so why pick out pensioners as being 'privileged' ?

Because people have different standards of what's considered polite these days, and we tend to remember incidents when people go against what we like because they stand out a lot more. Lots of what was considered polite 50 years ago is now seen as sycophantic, patronising or just plain annoying. (I don't mean saying please and thank you - I mean stuff like offering your seat, insisting on holding open doors even if they don't really want it etc.)

But really, there's a difference between respecting someone in the way you should respect anyone, and respecting someone by going above and beyond for them. I don't see why most people should get the former, but older people should get the latter as well. I think most people in the OPs camp are thinking in the former way (i.e. should they get any respect at all?), and most people against are thinking in the latter way (i.e. why should they get more respect than anyone else?).

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Perhaps we should look across economic strata rather than generational ones? The working age poor and elderly poor have more in common than with the rich of any age. The elderly don't deserve these things as a matter of simply having avoided death for long enough but because they've contributed to society (for the most part). Those people who have retired helped pay for my education and other benefits children get, what we should be paying for them and for our own future is being skimmed off the top by the richest in society - perhaps our ire should be directed at them?

Respect has to be earned. I've seen elderly people who do not deserve respect just as I've seen younger people who are incredibly polite and vice versa.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I guess that these generational gaps and all these misconceptions on both sides come about simply because how you grow up is really formative in what your standards are when it comes to living/morals/quality of life etc. The world now is very different from how it was in 1960, but that doesn't mean that attitudes always change with it.

Good point

The thing is, if you spent your whole life in a welfare state and (from the point of view of today's youth) being very privileged, it's a bit of a shock when it's all taken away. Combined with rose-tinted glasses about how things used to be, I can totally understand how older people might be more than a bit miffed when the younger generations complain at them and try to take away what they see as the bare minimum. When you've had something all your life it's a bit harsh when it's taken away from you, even if it's by someone who never had that. I mean, I doubt any of us would be happy moving to live a rural Chinese peasant lifestyle on the justification that many people in sub-Saharan Africa have it even worse. It's all relative, and your standards are set by what you're used to. Over your lifetime, though, they tend to be pretty solidified by the time you're around 20 for various reasons that aren't totally understood. Regardless of why it happens however, this is a well-known and extremely common phenomenon.

That all being said, there must be a way to communicate the fact to pensioners that it is not their God-given right to have all this stuff when the country is in trouble, especially when things will only become more expensive as the baby boomers get older, more infirm and generally more work to take care of. Whilst this will subside by around 2035, it's still a very long time to be spending far more on pensions than we can really afford. It's a very difficult balance to strike.

Older people expect to be looked after, because they were told they would be. Not all need to be supported, but then you have the arguments about those who spend all of their money get help, while those who are prudent, don't. Yet doesn't spending money rather than saving every last penny help the economy? And so the debate continues...

With regards to people respecting their elders though, I'm with those who say respect should be earned. I may have a little more automatic respect for those older than me when it comes to learning, but that's only because it's more likely that they'll know more than me/be more experienced. Unless someone's disabled or otherwise in need, though, there's no way I'm prioritising them over anyone else when it comes to something like holding doors open, going the extra mile to help etc: they get the same treatment as everyone else.

I remember when I was younger I though that respect needed to be earned rather than automatic. I have moderated my views as I have grown older, as I think that everyone has the right to be respected, regardless of age, gender or position, until their actions prove otherwise.

Accordingly, my respect for those who claim that free rail travel in S Yorks is a human right has all but disappeared, and I believe that the argument that this should be funded at the expense of other services is without merit.

Could someone clarify why elderly people are automatically deserving of respect? That is what the question posed in the title suggests and I'm unclear why they should garner respect automatically when no other group appears to hold such a privilege?

It used to be automatic that the elderly were respected more than other groups, but I think that was largely related to the sacrifices made in the two world wars. I suspect that centuries ago the few people that reached the age of sixty could well have been regarded as a burden, particularly if they were outside the ruling or prosperous classes.

Now that conflict and sacrifice are in the distant past for the majority of the population, I think that quite naturally there has been a dwindling of this in recent years.

I think it's true to say that there are greater numbers these days that have no respect for anyone or anything else, though I'm sure some will argue otherwise.

Because people have different standards of what's considered polite these days, and we tend to remember incidents when people go against what we like because they stand out a lot more. Lots of what was considered polite 50 years ago is now seen as sycophantic, patronising or just plain annoying. (I don't mean saying please and thank you - I mean stuff like offering your seat, insisting on holding open doors even if they don't really want it etc.)

This is true, and it goes alongside what I said above. The two are linked, as society has become less polite, I don't think it's a coincidence that those who don't respect others has increased. That doesn't mean I want to see a return to the formality of the 1950's, but I think the balance does need to be adjusted a little.

But really, there's a difference between respecting someone in the way you should respect anyone, and respecting someone by going above and beyond for them. I don't see why most people should get the former, but older people should get the latter as well. I think most people in the OPs camp are thinking in the former way (i.e. should they get any respect at all?), and most people against are thinking in the latter way (i.e. why should they get more respect than anyone else?).

Another good posts with some good points.

Perhaps we should look across economic strata rather than generational ones? The working age poor and elderly poor have more in common than with the rich of any age. The elderly don't deserve these things as a matter of simply having avoided death for long enough but because they've contributed to society (for the most part). Those people who have retired helped pay for my education and other benefits children get, what we should be paying for them and for our own future is being skimmed off the top by the richest in society - perhaps our ire should be directed at them?

I agree. Divide and conquer has always been a favourite tactic of the ruling elite!

Respect has to be earned. I've seen elderly people who do not deserve respect just as I've seen younger people who are incredibly polite and vice versa.

As I said above, I believe that respect should be given until it's proven that it isn't deserved, but I agree that this should apply equally across all generations.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've read the whole thread and am a bit confused by what some posters mean by 'respect'.

Of the meanings, I would show courtesy and consideration to someone else until they give me a reason not to, but I would not internally have respect for anyone unless they gave a me a reason to do so.

For me, respect is earned but courtesy is not

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
I've read the whole thread and am a bit confused by what some posters mean by 'respect'.

I'm not entirely sure what the whole thread is getting at to be honest.

In the thread linked to, we have two pensioners that broke the law, and have been subsequently charged. It's got nothing to do with respect as far as I can see.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not entirely sure what the whole thread is getting at to be honest.

In the thread linked to, we have two pensioners that broke the law, and have been subsequently charged. It's got nothing to do with respect as far as I can see.

That is my view which is why I have refrained from participating in this thread so far.

This thread branched off a discussion which has nothing to do with respect and I am not sure at all what the OP was getting at.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I read it as the OP seeing a lack of respect for older people in the other thread. Given the views in post 3, I think it is appropriate to have a discussion on attitudes towards old people.

cjp

The initial premise as others have said was flawed. Although in some societies with much lower life expectations old age may still warrant respect (for being old).

I think in the UK the position of older people has changed along with the changes that have occurred in British society.
In the past different generations might live together but now, with exceptions, that has changed.
In the past older people had respect or were venerated simply because they has survived, paid their dues and were educated enough to have knowledge and perhaps even wealth to pass on to the younger generation. They could look after the youngest generation whilst others worked.
In the past there were not so many old people but now life expectancy has increased and there are more old people who some perceive not to have contributed or not to have contributed enough.

The original state pension was paid from taxation of the younger workers and not funded as are private pension schemes. This has not changed. Now the younger generation perceive the older generation as being a drain especially as they see the goal posts being shifted so that they have to work longer.
The government have realised that demography is against the system as set up hence
  • the abolishment of the statutory retirement age – keep the old working longer so they do not claim a state pension
  • make the state pension payable at at a higher age level – postpone claims and some may even die before they can claim.
  • tweak the level of pension paid.

In the UK older people who need care and support are a drain but one that society has embraced as being being part of the Civilisation we have created.
Older people are also a large, if amorphous, voting block of which politicians (who generally seek to cling to power and wealth) have to be aware.

As an old chap I ask to be respected for my knowledge and abilities which,as they are not on display, cannot generally be awarded but what I do a expect to receive, like everyone else who is courteous, is courtesy.
I do not push and shove or use bad language so I do not expect to be on the receiving end of such. Unfortunately society’s standards are declining.
Peoples expectations are rising.
The UK produces less so can spend less.
Much of the world is no longer coloured pink.
Times change.
But common courtesy cost nothing to give and makes both the giver and receiver feel better.

And when we who are old, or anyone, are wrong then like everyone else we should be told so politely, firmly and courteously. To do this telling is a skill/manners that, sadly, not all possess. It is a skill that can be learned if someone or society values it enough to teach the skill rather than just teaching about a person's “so called rights”.

The old, like every age, should be treated with courtesy.

Last edited:

Bill Stanier

Perhaps 'respect' is not the right word. Old people live in failing bodies, and perhaps this isn't always appreciated by the young. I'm still able to do most of the stuff I always could, including flying aeroplanes and riding powerful motorbikes, but the process of physical decline is underway and I can see it's only going one way.

When you can no longer walk the mile or so to the shops and have to take the bus, that bus pass becomes a lot more vital than it would be for a younger person.

When you take several seconds standing in front of the destination board at your rail station so your not-too-good eyes can take in the info when a young person needs to merely glance at it as they pass, the young might be tempted to think 'doddering old coffin-dodger, holding everyone up'. Similarly when one's walking pace is reduced by arthritis etc.

I'm not there yet, but I see it in those a few years ahead of me and I feel it beginning to happen to me so can appreciate what it's like for them. That's why the young should have a bit of patience with the old and remember that inside that frail shuffling body is someone just like they were not too long ago!

With luck, one day we'll all be like that - and worse as the years take their toll physically and maybe mentally. Getting old isn't good, but it's better than the alternative!

Status
Not open for further replies.