• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are the SW Valleys EVER going to get BRAND NEW trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
I know the class 150 carriages are 20m long. I suppose you may be able to lengthen the platforms however that may be impossible at certain stations, Bridgend's platform 0 being an example since you would have to demolish the old footbridge which is protected and and the booking office.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
But PEP series EMUs have 20m body shells.

I know that but what I'm saying is basically just because the platforms can take 4x20m trains at the moment does not automatically mean they can take 4x23m trains :roll:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I know that but what I'm saying is basically just because the platforms can take 4x20m trains at the moment does not automatically mean they can take 4x23m trains :roll:
But where's the relevance? Nobody else has mentioned 23 metre vehicles being used on the Valley Lines...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm pretty sure they're 20m. The mid-80s generation of BREL units (If I recall correctly that's 150,210,317-322,325,455,456) are also 20m despite being based on the mk3 bodyshell. You can tell that PEP-based centre-cars at least have the same (or at least pretty close) length due to the fact that the internal seating plan of the ex-508TS cars in the 455/7s matches that in the equivalent 'new' TS vehicles in the 455/8s and 9s.
Yes, you are entirely correct. :)

anthony263

Established Member
But where's the relevance? Nobody else has mentioned 23 metre vehicles being used on the Valley Lines...

Yes, you are entirely correct. :)

I am sure I read in a document that network rail were expecting 3 carriage emu's with 23m carriages for the Cardiff Valleys

anthony263

Established Member
I look forward to seeing the proposed timetables for the Cardiff Valley Lines after electrification. One idea is that Merthyr Tydfil - Cardiff Central will be cut from one hour to 45 minutes which looks to be possible with cuts in padding and some linespeed increases and non stop running via the city line between Radyr & Cardiff Central.

Journey times on the swanline services between Swansea & Cardiff will be cut by 7 minutes so Swansea - Cardiff would be done in 58-60 minutes rather than 65-66 minutes as is the case now unless trains also call at Pontyclun & Pencoed.

Hopefully emu's will be used on services between Cardiff & Bristol TM reducing journey times to 48 minutes rather than 52-55 minutes which would help to encourage more people to use the train especially with the tolls on the severn bridge
Sllightly off topic but week in week out on BBC one wales tonight at 22:35 is looking at the proposals for the proposals for a£1.5 billion metro linking the Cardiff Valleys with Swansea, Cardiff & Newport

Goatboy

Established Member
Hopefully emu's will be used on services between Cardiff & Bristol TM reducing journey times to 48 minutes rather than 52-55 minutes which would help to encourage more people to use the train especially with the tolls on the severn bridge

What? It already takes only 49 minutes with a stop at Filton Abbey Wood. Whilst I know that electrification is quite literally the second coming of the messiah to most, I hardly think a 1 minute improvement to journey time is going to pull people out of cars.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What? It already takes only 49 minutes with a stop at Filton Abbey Wood. Whilst I know that electrification is quite literally the second coming of the messiah to most, I hardly think a 1 minute improvement to journey time is going to pull people out of cars.

No it might not. But electrification will, research the sparks effect.

WelshZ

An interesting note it seems the Valley's 150 units are being repainted into the new ATW livery as I was on one yesterday on the way to Cardiff. Presumably the entire fleet is being done when the individual units go in for a fresh coat of paint?

pemma

Veteran Member
I am sure I read in a document that network rail were expecting 3 carriage emu's with 23m carriages for the Cardiff Valleys

WG business case for valleys electrification was done using cascaded 313/315's its on their website.

No platform lengthening schemes are proposed to take place in CP5 in Wales so it must be that the trains that will be used post-electrification will be shorter than the existing Valley Line platforms. Although, some additional platforms are proposed at stations including a new through platform Cardiff Central and new bay platforms at a Caerphilly, Pontypridd and Barry stations.

The proposed CP5 platform schemes (new platforms and lengthening existing ones) are included here:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...e plans/overarching cp5 enhancements plan.pdf

It's dated Jan 2013 and does include stations like Marsden and Slaithwaite so it is up-to-date.

Network Rail said:
Key assumption:

 The business case is centred on cost reductions from an electric fleet as well as growth in demand from customers. The rolling stock assumption from funders is that there will be cascade of 3 car class 313 trains or similar.
An interesting note it seems the Valley's 150 units are being repainted into the new ATW livery as I was on one yesterday on the way to Cardiff. Presumably the entire fleet is being done when the individual units go in for a fresh coat of paint?

The ATW franchise expires before the Valley Lines electrification work will be completed so that doesn't mean a lot apart from the 150s must be due a repaint.

Another factor to consider of course is that there is now proven ASDO technology that can lead to over length trains being used on some halts.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Another factor to consider of course is that there is now proven ASDO technology that can lead to over length trains being used on some halts.

I'm guessing the A stands for automatic? I've heard of SDO (selective door opening) before.

Gwenllian2001

What's all this fuss about platform length? All Valley Line services had six car DMUs running over them; pre sprinter days. It's only the City Line platforms that might need lengthening. Incidentally, there is no Platform '0' at Bridgend. I assume it refers to Platform 1A which is plenty long enough anyway. That used to accomodate much longer trains than use it at present.
I should clarify my previous post. Since the Aberdare and Maesteg lines were reopened the platforms have been extended to take four car sprinters. Those on the Maesteg line, for example, will take four car 158s comfortably. The platforms on the Vale of Glamorgan and Ebbw Vale lines were built with longer platforms from the outset as were Pontyclun; Llanharan and Pencoed on the GWML between Cardiff and Bridgend.

The platforms on the lines that remained open, following the sixties closures, were all used by six car DMUs. Some of them are longer than that, particularly on the Barry Line. As far as I'm aware this situation remains and some later additions, such as a couple of stations in the Rhondda Valley, have been lengthened in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.