• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are the Virgin loco-hauled services still running, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuk

Hi all,

I'm hoping to be in the Birmingham area during the day today.

I live in Nuneaton and need to go visit Warwick first, via New Street but when I come back to New Street, I was wondering what my chances of are of seeing one of the loco-hauled trains, perhaps even taking a short trip, maybe to Wolves, Crewe, Coventry or Rugby?

I intend to buy a West Mids Day Ranger and was thinking about buying a short distance Virgin First Anytime ticket as a treat for BHM to WVH.

Just wondering if I've got any options with regards to any local-hauled trains locally - either using the WMDR or by purchasing a separate ticket.

Many thanks,

Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The class 90 only runs on fridays to preston via the trent valley so you won't see it in birmingham

dk1

Veteran Member
Apart from enthusiasts do many passengers use this service? I know some stops are set-down only so it can run early but the schedule is so slow & overtaken by later Pendo's en-route.

mr_moo

Only on Friday. The 'Pretendolino' as it's now nicknamed following its paint job to make it look like a pendolino, is essentially a spare set ready for use if needed. It's also being made available to charter operators. It's only sheduled run, presumably to keep it operational, is the aforementioned Fridays only service.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Only on Friday. The 'Pretendolino' as it's now nicknamed following its paint job to make it look like a pendolino, is essentially a spare set ready for use if needed. It's also being made available to charter operators. It's only sheduled run, presumably to keep it operational, is the aforementioned Fridays only service.

Errr? I have never heard anyone call it the "Pretendolino" and I don't see how the TOC's paint job and colour scheme makes it look like a Pendolino? If that is the case, why not call Virgin's Super Voyager's Pretendolino's as well since they are in the same colours?

AlexS

Established Member
Because they've even gone to the effort of putting a black strip on the DVT to make it appear similar to the leading vehicles of a 390?

I think Pretendolino is quite an apt nickname myself!

Established Member
WB64 is supposed to be back on Birmingham New Street - Euston corridor for 3 weeks from the 5th October to cover whilst the pendolino that hit a Container Door a while ago is repaired

WB65 is expected to be operating the Preston Relief during this brief period

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It's only sheduled run, presumably to keep it operational, is the aforementioned Fridays only service.

Virgin kept hold of a set after the Grayrigg accident wrote off 390033. Had the unit survived there would be no MK3 set running around. Therefore we can safely say it is not run on a Friday to keep it operational. Infact, at one point Virgin considered changing to a pair of 180s.

Bigjop

Errr? I have never heard anyone call it the "Pretendolino" and I don't see how the TOC's paint job and colour scheme makes it look like a Pendolino? If that is the case, why not call Virgin's Super Voyager's Pretendolino's as well since they are in the same colours?

Come on Geezertronic.It's a belting name and it has now stuck (in my mind at least).
It's a Pretendalino because it's covering Pendalino service.
Super Voyager is a different kettle of fish.

Peace.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.