• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail - London Overground - Trainee Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RedAurora

Hey guys, first tome commenting and new to this whole thread.

I applied for this role, didn’t add in a cover letter or additional information so I wasn’t hoping for a reply but I got a email on a Sunday afternoon weirdly.

I’m on my way to my assessment day now. So best off luck to anyone who’s done their assessments already, hopefully it won’t be as bad as I think it is lol .

Well, I think this post debunks all recruitment theories.

Barry K

TBH, if I had made that post, I certainly wouldn't have mentioned the things I didn't do, it only stirs up feelings of "Well, why did I bother", and other negative reactions.....

GreenSignal

TBH, if I had made that post, I certainly wouldn't have mentioned the things I didn't do, it only stirs up feelings of "Well, why did I bother", and other negative reactions.....

Call me cynical but I'm inclined not to believe the original post from this person.
If they failed to submit a covering letter and any additional information I highly doubt that ARL would have given it a glance let alone a look.

RedAurora

Call me cynical but I'm inclined not to believe the original post from this person.
If they failed to submit a covering letter and any additional information I highly doubt that ARL would have given it a glance let alone a look.
Could be a troll, yes. But what if it's true?

Let's say it is true. Then that could mean a number of things.

Possible reasons why he got called for assessment:

- They meant to place him in the 'email a no pile' but accidentally put him into the 'email yes for assement pile'.
- The people reading applications are not being thorough.
- He knows someone and the application was just a formality.
- A computer (not a person) checks the applications for key words or something.
- Cover letter, Additional info isn't that important (maybe if you put something good in there it can sway them but if the application itself is already great then it doesn't matter.
- ???

Last edited:

GreenSignal

Could be a troll, yes. But what if it's true?

Let's say it is true. Then that could mean a number of things.

Possible reasons why he got called for assessment:

- The people reading applications are not being thorough.
- He knows someone and the application was just a courtesy.
- A computer (not a person) checks the applications for key words or something.
- ???

If it was down to the computer, it would have struggled to select key words when lack of any information of substance was submitted.

If the application was just a courtesy it wouldn't be much of a leg up as if you don't have the minerals to pass the tests, it would have been all done in vain.

Saracen_83

There was a SJT at the end of the application..... one could presume that the basis of the sifting and therefore the invite for this person to be based along this?????

However I would hope that if this was the case, then this would be picked up at interview and grilled

baz962

Established Member
If it was down to the computer, it would have struggled to select key words when lack of any information of substance was submitted.

If the application was just a courtesy it wouldn't be much of a leg up as if you don't have the minerals to pass the tests, it would have been all done in vain.

Have to disagree on one point i dont think not putting a letter etc and getting a leg up would mean you dont have the minerals to pass the tests.

RedAurora

They don't care it's pretty much Ip dip do
Lol! I'm not suggesting that it was random. I'm just saying that maybe what we thought they were looking for isn't actually what they are looking for. Or it was a mistake. Or there was aome favouritism here.

There was a SJT at the end of the application..... one could presume that the basis of the sifting and therefore the invite for this person to be based along this?????
Perhaps. It could well be that they just care about a handful of things. Maybe they just want to see how you do on the questionnaire. How far you live. And if your work history is all in order.

GreenSignal

Have to disagree on one point i dont think not putting a letter etc and getting a leg up would mean you dont have the minerals to pass the tests.

Think you must have misread my comment.
I didn't suggest the person didn't have the ability to pass the tests, I was highlighting that getting special treatment is a waste of time if you don't pass the tests.
It's not like certain jobs where you can get in with a wink wink nudge nudge, the tests are independent (OPC) so even with a friend pushing your name through, the OPC won't be so accommdating if said person fails the tests.

baz962

Established Member
Think you must have misread my comment.
I didn't suggest the person didn't have the ability to pass the tests, I was highlighting that getting special treatment is a waste of time if you don't pass the tests.
It's not like certain jobs where you can get in with a wink wink nudge nudge, the tests are independent (OPC) so even with a friend pushing your name through, the OPC won't be so accommdating if said person fails the tests.

Yes sorry mis read it, seperate point tho are the test's independant I know the opc are but I have seen on other thread's here that they are sometimes done (rarely) or have been in the past by toc's themselves, unless I mis read that too. Also although they would need to pass the test's it still wouldn't hurt to get a head start on first sift. Since passing the psychometric's myself for gtr but failing at the last stage the dmi I have not got past first sift for arriva wales, east midland's for depot driver, and swt, and have heard nowt back for arriva london.

Pukapies123

Just got an email invite to a stage 1 assessment on 5th January. I applied on 7th November, so they are still working through the applications...

Saracen_83

Have asked before but I genuinly can’t find it, what’s the shift pattern like as a driver????

greatkingrat

Established Member
Thanks for that, sample shift pattern was looking for if possible???

Depends on the depot and link. There isn't a simple repeating pattern but generally get a long weekend of at least five days every four weeks, with 26 Sundays rostered a year.

Bromley boy

Established Member
So if you go in on a rest day you get flat , but eight hours regardless of how many you do.

Where I am (not ARL) Sundays are inside, this just means the pay for Sunday is the same as any other day (plus a book on fee of £45 in our case for RDW). I’m sure ARL will be the same.

We have a minimum shift length of 5:30 (8 hours at ARL), even if you only cover one 45 minute trip.

If the duty is longer, you get paid your hourly rate for everything above 5:30.

Saracen_83

Depends on the depot and link. There isn't a simple repeating pattern but generally get a long weekend of at least five days every four weeks, with 26 Sundays rostered a year.

Ah ok was just hoping to see someone’s!!! Are other drivers happy to swap or do people stick to their rota?? Ie swap earlies for lates etc.

baz962

Established Member
Where I am (not ARL) Sundays are inside, this just means the pay for Sunday is the same as any other day (plus a book on fee of £45 in our case for RDW). I’m sure ARL will be the same.

We have a minimum shift length of 5:30 (8 hours at ARL), even if you only cover one 45 minute trip.

If the duty is longer, you get paid your hourly rate for everything above 5:30.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.