• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail - London Overground - Trainee Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saracen_83

I was wondering the same thing, I got through to stage 1, failed on Gb (passed to national not enhanced) so was wondering if it 6months from application deadline of Nov 2017 or from when I sat the tests in jan 18 for me to apply again??

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Interesting, I’ve not heard anything back at all, wondering if it’s because I live about an hour away. Thought it was worth a shot
That probably was not it, I live an hour away easy.

RedAurora

That's it then. Everyone who hadn't heard back since Nov 17 just got binned off today and then the cheeky you-know-whats have gone and re-advertised the same job. Only this time we can't apply for it because it won't be 6 months until May.

Barry K

Kinda makes you think that we've had a lucky escape. I thought Arriva London buses were bad, but this just takes the biscuit

RedAurora

Oh and by the way, thankyou very much to all the trolls who insisted that, "No news is good news!"

Had many of us holding our breaths for months and for what? Nothing!

GreenSignal

Oh and by the way, thankyou very much to all the trolls who insisted that, "No news is good news!"

Had many of us holding our breaths for months and for what? Nothing!

They would only be trolls if they knew the outcome, something tells me they didn't.
The fact that people from the November applications were being invited to assessments as late as February, I highly doubt it was completely misjudged by those that tried to keep the failures positive.

Teddyward

I was wondering the same thing, I got through to stage 1, failed on Gb (passed to national not enhanced) so was wondering if it 6months from application deadline of Nov 2017 or from when I sat the tests in jan 18 for me to apply again??
6 months from test fail mate unfortunately.

baz962

Established Member

six months will be from test date matt

greatkingrat

Established Member
That's it then. Everyone who hadn't heard back since Nov 17 just got binned off today and then the cheeky you-know-whats have gone and re-advertised the same job. Only this time we can't apply for it because it won't be 6 months until May.

If you weren't invited to the assessment stage then you are free to apply for this vacancy again or any other company immediately. It is only if you actually sit the tests and fail that the six month rule applies. Simply not being shortlisted is not considered a fail.

RedAurora

If you weren't invited to the assessment stage then you are free to apply for this vacancy again or any other company immediately. It is only if you actually sit the tests and fail that the six month rule applies. Simply not being shortlisted is not considered a fail.
Oh nice! ....I guess. If I keep knocking on the door then perhaps one day someone will *profanity* answer! Here we go again!

Barry K

Lucky escape?
In what sense? I'm sure the successful applicants would disagree.

In the respect of if they bin all remaining un-assessed candidates on the same day they re-advertise, then it implies that they're not reading all applications. If a person is unsuitable, then they would be unsuitable from the beginning, right?

Ghostgeeza

Tha
In the respect of if they bin all remaining un-assessed candidates on the same day they re-advertise, then it implies that they're not reading all applications. If a person is unsuitable, then they would be unsuitable from the beginning, right?

Thats a good point u know

theking

How do you know they were un-assessed?

You have to get 90% or over on their application scoring system to be even considered for stage one OPC tests.

If you got a rejection your application wasn't what they were looking for or simply not good enough regardless if you have existing passes or not.

Teddyward

I hope they advertise again sometime after August so I can have another crack at that blasted VSE.

zambo01

They definitely assess the applications and CVs.

When I went for my DMI a few weeks ago, they had printed copies of both in their file on me.

And from what I remember, the application form is pretty basic, so I imagine they are mainly assessing your CV during the paper sift stage. If you didn’t get through the sift, have a good look at your CV and see if it needs updating or amending (or ask someone else to have a look at it?).

Don’t take this as a negative. Use it as a positive to improve where you can and come back stronger the next time around!

Kwikz

Anyone know what the rosters are like at new cross? Earliest and latest times. Night work? Patterns? Certain links for specific work (i.e all late /night turns)

Rmh123

Anyone know what the rosters are like at new cross? Earliest and latest times. Night work? Patterns? Certain links for specific work (i.e all late /night turns)
I'd be intrested to know aswell are you starting at new cross

slidingdoors

You have to get 90% or over on their application scoring system to be even considered for stage one OPC tests.

If you got a rejection your application wasn't what they were looking for or simply not good enough regardless if you have existing passes or not.
I never got binned as such, never heard anything either way. Not sure if anyone else was the same. I reapplied yesterday but presumably it will be the same result. Be nice to get a 'no' to confirm your application has been looked at at least.

Rmh123

It back further in this thread...... page 8
Cheers matt711 what day of the week do the Rotas start do you know is it a Sunday or Monday only asking as my current job the Rotas start our working week on a Sunday

Barry K

My point is that it's just far too convenient that these applications - which they have had for some considerable time now - were found to be not good enough just in time for them to be ready for a whole new raft of applications. If you didn't reach the 90% at the beginning, then you aren't going to suddenly reach it at the end with an un-modified application. The timing smells bad, and they make it seem like they ditched the remaining applications to make room for the new ones.

You're honestly not a little bit suspicious?

goblinuser

Can anyone help me tailor my cv to apply for this? I haven't worked in rail before and I'm not sure how to go about it when I don't have previous experience in the industry. Thanks in advance.

JO

Hi All, yes travel time is within 1hr for all locations.

Please does anyone have advice on how to answer the situational judgement questions and the behavioural questions in the application, its pretty frustrating that I never seem to pass this stage.

Mike Tyson

Hi All, yes travel time is within 1hr for all locations.

Please does anyone have advice on how to answer the situational judgement questions and the behavioural questions in the application, its pretty frustrating that I never seem to pass this stage.

These questions are really designed to show your own perception on certain situations.

Being a train driver is all about safety and following rules and regulations. So when answering these questions you should always consider this first.

For example one question might be if a manager says there are some VIP customers on board, ignore your safety checks at the start of the day and take them out for a ride...

Do you
A say yes boss
B say yes but do your checks
C say no I need to do checks but not do them anyway
D say you still need to complete your checks and you will be ready in 20 mins

I will personally say D. Other people may disagree. But put yourself in position of a driver and out safety above all else.

JO

Wow thanks sooo much for replying. Yes you are right, its just that I have passed the assessments for another TOC but would like to work closer to home. I have applied 6 times to London Overground. I have never had replies as to whether I got the role or not until they became Arriva. I just cant seem to pass these initial questions to a role I feel very well suited for.

Mike Tyson

Wow thanks sooo much for replying. Yes you are right, its just that I have passed the assessments for another TOC but would like to work closer to home. I have applied 6 times to London Overground. I have never had replies as to whether I got the role or not until they became Arriva. I just cant seem to pass these initial questions to a role I feel very well suited for.
I would advise catering your CV/ cover letter to the role of train driver and make it relevant to the company you are applying for.

Showing them that you have done some research about the company before submitting application might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.