• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail - London Overground - Trainee Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JO

Yes I will do that. I will have a look over my CV and cover letter and revise them. Many thanks for replying my posts. I will try one more time and hopefully be successful. Thanks MT

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turknaay

six months will be from test date matt
Hi, is that 6 months with the same TOC? Or a 6 month rule applies to all TOC's even though one has passed at national level and unfortunately not enhanced, therefore one can't apply anywhere for 6 months?

baz962

Established Member
Hi, is that 6 months with the same TOC? Or a 6 month rule applies to all TOC's even though one has passed at national level and unfortunately not enhanced, therefore one can't apply anywhere for 6 months?

As far as I'm aware, if it is the psychometric tests it's six months till you can try the tests again, if you want to try for enhanced. If you apply to a toc that takes a national standard pass, then you can straight away, if you passed to national.

GreenSignal

My point is that it's just far too convenient that these applications - which they have had for some considerable time now - were found to be not good enough just in time for them to be ready for a whole new raft of applications. If you didn't reach the 90% at the beginning, then you aren't going to suddenly reach it at the end with an un-modified application. The timing smells bad, and they make it seem like they ditched the remaining applications to make room for the new ones.

You're honestly not a little bit suspicious?

If I was a company looking to recruit employees, my focus would be on the candidates who met the criteria. Not the ones who failed during the initial stage.

Only thing suspicious is your inability to accept that on this occasion, you just wasn't good enough.

GreenSignal

Hi All, yes travel time is within 1hr for all locations.

Please does anyone have advice on how to answer the situational judgement questions and the behavioural questions in the application, its pretty frustrating that I never seem to pass this stage.

Answer them honestly.
If you have answered them honestly in the past and have yet to progress to the next stage, I suggest looking for a career elsewhere.
As harsh as the above sounds, the test is designed to highlight your suitability to the role, if you have been unsuccessful, you simply don't suit the role.

Lem

Well c’est la vie...wasn’t meant to be!! I’d like to think my application was rejected on my location as I’m over an hour away from the depots but mentioned I’m in the process of relocating...didn’t know if they would consider relocation :rolleyes:

Turknaay

As far as I'm aware, if it is the psychometric tests it's six months till you can try the tests again, if you want to try for enhanced. If you apply to a toc that takes a national standard pass, then you can straight away, if you passed to national.

Thanks bud, I do have a personal question is it possible to PM?

Nobby

Hi there

New member and first time post......

I have applied for this position as a career change from 25 years in a completely different industry. Does anyone think that, within reason, age is a factor or barrier to getting the job? (I'm in my 40's)

baz962

Established Member
Hi there

New member and first time post......

I have applied for this position as a career change from 25 years in a completely different industry. Does anyone think that, within reason, age is a factor or barrier to getting the job? (I'm in my 40's)

I start with these as a trainee driver in a couple of weeks, exactly one month before my 48th.

Nobby

I start with these as a trainee driver in a couple of weeks, exactly one month before my 48th.
Nice! Congratulations :D Can I ask, how long was the whole process from application to getting the job?

baz962

Established Member
I had already done the assessments with another toc. I applied november, about the 6th, my first assessment day (I had to go, but not to do test's) was start jan, interview end jan, medical end feb, start in two weeks. Some people that applied same time as me, started two week's ago.

Nobby

I had already done the assessments with another toc. I applied november, about the 6th, my first assessment day (I had to go, but not to do test's) was start jan, interview end jan, medical end feb, start in two weeks. Some people that applied same time as me, started two week's ago.
Sounds like they don't hang around.....good to know, thanks.

zambo01

I was on the same Day one as Baz (although he got to slide early as he had already completed the tests elsewhere!).
Application went in Nov 6th. Day one Jan 5th. Day two Feb 16th. Called me the following Monday (19th Feb) to confirm I had been successful and arrange DMI for Feb 23rd. Called me again the following Monday (Feb 26th) to advise I was successful in the Manager Interview also.

Currently awaiting a medical date (apparently the medical company have a bit of a backlog - they are based up north and were effected by the adverse weather!). Sent my references and vetting off almost immediately, just spoke to the referencing company this morning and they confirmed that they have received everything they need now - so will just be reviewing it and then responding to Arriva.

So far, the slowest part of the process was the initial paper sift, but I haven’t been given a formal offer yet - so that could slip a bit and become delayed for all I know!

I’m quite impressed with a Arriva so far, everything seems to move quite quickly and without any hiccups on their end!

zambo01

Bit of an update!

Had my final offer (paperwork should come today) after my references and vetting got back. Proposing for me to start April 16th - but still need to get my medical out of the way!

Looking forward to starting my new journey! Hopefully I’ll see one or two of you on the same course!

Mike Tyson

Bit of an update!

Had my final offer (paperwork should come today) after my references and vetting got back. Proposing for me to start April 16th - but still need to get my medical out of the way!

Looking forward to starting my new journey! Hopefully I’ll see one or two of you on the same course!
Well done mate, medical is straight forward, although I think the hearing test plays tricks on you sometimes. Lol. But it’s still ok.

Which depot have you applied for?

Nobby

Bit of an update!

Congratulations! I've applied for the current round of recruitment, and as the job is still being advertised, I'm not expecting to hear anything just yet. I'm confident I'll get called for assessment though.

zambo01

Well good luck with everything mate

Thanks!

There’s a chance I won’t make the April course tho, not sure I feel entirely comfortable in resigning from my current role without a guarantee (still have the medical to complete!), but I’m gonna speak to my boss tomorrow (who is very supportive) and see if we can work something out!

As an aside aswell, I’d advise anyone that gets beyond the assessments to not leave anything to chance. In my case, my current job’s HR team were awful and I decided to hound them to chase up my reference. Good thing I did, because after 10 days they couldn’t even confirm they had received a reference request for me!

THEN, the person at Arriva that was sending me through for a medical had gone off sick. I decided to contact the medical company myself and it transpired that a referral had never been made cuz this person was off sick!
It’s only through me making my own enquiries that it was picked up so soon and rectified! Be proactive (be polite and professional) and don’t leave anything to chance!

Daly131

Hi guys looking for a bit of help if you dont mind!! Has anyone here applied for the latest advertisement for trainee train driver new cross/wilsden??? I became aware of this position late last night and began applying when my computer decided to time out around the time i was going to submit!! I belive the vacancy was originally advertised until around 5 today?? Can anyone find the job post still online I cannont find it anymore on my phone.... any help appreciated thanks

Daly131

Hi guys looking for a bit of help if you dont mind!! Has anyone here applied for the latest advertisement for trainee train driver new cross/wilsden??? I became aware of this position late last night and began applying when my computer decided to time out around the time i was going to submit!! I belive the vacancy was originally advertised until around 5 today?? Can anyone find the job post still online I cannont find it anymore on my phone.... any help appreciated thanks
Sorry my girlfriend has found it and sent the application over.... must be something wrong with my phone too!!

Jz2307

I’ve got a VSE this week with arriva. Can anyone tell me a bit more about what itll be like on the day?

ThatGuy

Hi guys, I’ve read almost all of this thread. But can someone confirm what the medical consists of for this recent round of recruitment? Thanks

Lem

Congratulations! I've applied for the current round of recruitment, and as the job is still being advertised, I'm not expecting to hear anything just yet. I'm confident I'll get called for assessment though.

Don't be too confident. I already have a licence and didn't get anywhere lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.