• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Rail North DOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

muz379

Established Member
Why haven't the RMT gone down the work to rule route. They would win over more support from the general public and hit the company just as hard.

I am not personally convinced that a work to rule would win over more support . Work to rule would lead to the kind of short notice alteration and cancellation that we saw in the weeks following the may timetable change when there was no RDW agreement for drivers and widespread performance issues caused in part by crew and units being displaced at an exceptional rate at certain strategic locations .

For example , if there was a work to rule and the guard for the last train from Manchester to another big city was taken ill , involved in a disruptive incident elsewhere there might not be anyone spare to cover that last train , the shift managers would not have the flexibility to ask someone else if they wanted extra hours to cover it . And of course if the booked guard is running late because of another disruptive incident they would then refuse to work the train if it took them over their finish time for the day . That kind of late notice alteration and cancellation is the sort that causes massive customer frustration because they cannot plan for it . And in the event of a last train cancellation could spend hours waiting for replacement transport to be provided seeing as that replacement transport is being sourced at late notice .

It would artificially inflate the number of trains cancelled because of non availability of a conductor which could be capitalised on by the company to say we want to be able to run these trains .

Work to rule definitely would not raise the profile of the dispute as much as strike action does either , nor would it cause as much revenue loss to the company because the tickets will already have been purchased for the late notice cancelled trains . Whereas on a Saturday much of the revenue that is taken is that of leisure travellers so walk up revenue will be hit substantially . I appreciate people will point out that the government are providing financial assistance as per the terms of the franchise . But the company still has to go to the effort to correctly substantiate claims . And secondly the government could come under increasing pressure for being seen to bail out a failing franchise who are seemingly doing very little to resolve the dispute .

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

woodmally

I am not personally convinced that a work to rule would win over more support . Work to rule would lead to the kind of short notice alteration and cancellation that we saw in the weeks following the may timetable change when there was no RDW agreement for drivers and widespread performance issues caused in part by crew and units being displaced at an exceptional rate at certain strategic locations .

For example , if there was a work to rule and the guard for the last train from Manchester to another big city was taken ill , involved in a disruptive incident elsewhere there might not be anyone spare to cover that last train , the shift managers would not have the flexibility to ask someone else if they wanted extra hours to cover it . And of course if the booked guard is running late because of another disruptive incident they would then refuse to work the train if it took them over their finish time for the day . That kind of late notice alteration and cancellation is the sort that causes massive customer frustration because they cannot plan for it . And in the event of a last train cancellation could spend hours waiting for replacement transport to be provided seeing as that replacement transport is being sourced at late notice .

It would artificially inflate the number of trains cancelled because of non availability of a conductor which could be capitalised on by the company to say we want to be able to run these trains .

Work to rule definitely would not raise the profile of the dispute as much as strike action does either , nor would it cause as much revenue loss to the company because the tickets will already have been purchased for the late notice cancelled trains . Whereas on a Saturday much of the revenue that is taken is that of leisure travellers so walk up revenue will be hit substantially . I appreciate people will point out that the government are providing financial assistance as per the terms of the franchise . But the company still has to go to the effort to correctly substantiate claims . And secondly the government could come under increasing pressure for being seen to bail out a failing franchise who are seemingly doing very little to resolve the dispute .
I oppose the strike action and support DOO however if we could keep the guards and end this dispute I'd be all for it I just want my fellow commuters to be able to get from a to b. Now the strikes haven't worked and I cannot see how they will. We are now in deadlock neither the RMT or Northern are losing out substantially. The RMT members can recoup lost earnings on Saturday by working Sunday. They will not be able to afford continuous strike action everyday till its resolved which is the only way strike action will bring this to ahead. However work to rule seems perfect. Its disruption on a massive scale if I read your assessment correctly and Northern wont be able to criticise the RMT publicly for following the rules and the public will squarely all attack Northern. It will also mean no loss of earnings. I cannot see how that could not be a perfect risk free tactic by the RMT.

muz379

Established Member
I oppose the strike action and support DOO however if we could keep the guards and end this dispute I'd be all for it I just want my fellow commuters to be able to get from a to b. Now the strikes haven't worked and I cannot see how they will. We are now in deadlock neither the RMT or Northern are losing out substantially. The RMT members can recoup lost earnings on Saturday by working Sunday. They will not be able to afford continuous strike action everyday till its resolved which is the only way strike action will bring this to ahead. However work to rule seems perfect. Its disruption on a massive scale if I read your assessment correctly and Northern wont be able to criticise the RMT publicly for following the rules and the public will squarely all attack Northern. It will also mean no loss of earnings. I cannot see how that could not be a perfect risk free tactic by the RMT.

"Now the strikes haven't worked and I cannot see how they will"
By what measure ? the strikes got the company round the table after months of refusing to talk , the saturday strikes are leading to a massively reduced provision of Saturday services and got the company to ACAS . Yes both sets of talks broke down , but it was certainly a move in the right direction .

"The RMT members can recoup lost earnings on Saturday by working Sunday"
Not necessarily true . In the larger depots they might have close to 100 people supposed to be rostered for work on any given strike day but even the biggest depots dont have anywhere near that number of sunday jobs . Some people dont work sundays at all , not everyone will be able to recoup lost earnings .

"However work to rule seems perfect. Its disruption on a massive scale if I read your assessment correctly and Northern wont be able to criticise the RMT publicly for following the rules and the public will squarely all attack Northern"
If you just want yourself and fellow commuters to get from A to B why would you argue for something that would cause massive unpredictable disruption to that ?
Without knowing the details of reliance on overtime in all locations it is impossible to know or say what level of disruption would be . But logically it stands to reason that the type of disruption would be short notice alteration and cancellation . What is worse from a commuter point of view . Knowing 2 weeks in advance that your journey to work is going to be disrupted or turning up to the station in the morning and finding out that because of a guard going sick or being late that your service to work is not going to be running ? Work to rule would not necessarily cause as much disruption as a strike . But it would be of a much more sporadic and at such shorter notice .

The company might not be able to openly criticist the RMT for a work to rule , however increasing the numbers of short notice cancellations could give rise to the argument that these are precisely the types of trains we would want to run under DOO .

Killingworth

Established Member
Why haven't the RMT gone down the work to rule route. They would win over more support from the general public and hit the company just as hard.

Having been involved in another industry where staff voted for a work to rule and ban on overtime I can see pros and cons of this!

For starters it very quickly identified many areas that had been dependent on overtime, much of which hadn't even been claimed. Bad management practices that had been allowed to build up over many years. In some areas management held the goodwill of their teams and they worked hard to serve all customers without much impact - and later the lessons learned enabled the overtime bill to be reduced. In a critical handful of places management lost that goodwill and services suffered very badly. They effectively won the union's battle!

The work to rule had differing levels of effect dependent on areas within the entire business. We discovered a lot of rules that were no longer needed, having been introduced decades ago to counter a problem unlikely to ever occur again, and largely ignored - like having to seal particular items with sealing wax! The subsequent clean up was beneficial and would have made a future work to rule a lot less effective.

In the rail industry a rigid work to rule and ban on overtime would make it very hard to predict services. As a passenger I'd rather know I won't have a train every Saturday than to wonder if this or that train will run, and reach it's destination if it does. And if it doesn't the train and crew will be in the wrong positions to work the next services.

I rather imagine the public would be anything but won over by this sort of action!

woodmally

Having been involved in another industry where staff voted for a work to rule and ban on overtime I can see pros and cons of this!

For starters it very quickly identified many areas that had been dependent on overtime, much of which hadn't even been claimed. Bad management practices that had been allowed to build up over many years. In some areas management held the goodwill of their teams and they worked hard to serve all customers without much impact - and later the lessons learned enabled the overtime bill to be reduced. In a critical handful of places management lost that goodwill and services suffered very badly. They effectively won the union's battle!

The work to rule had differing levels of effect dependent on areas within the entire business. We discovered a lot of rules that were no longer needed, having been introduced decades ago to counter a problem unlikely to ever occur again, and largely ignored - like having to seal particular items with sealing wax! The subsequent clean up was beneficial and would have made a future work to rule a lot less effective.

In the rail industry a rigid work to rule and ban on overtime would make it very hard to predict services. As a passenger I'd rather know I won't have a train every Saturday than to wonder if this or that train will run, and reach it's destination if it does. And if it doesn't the train and crew will be in the wrong positions to work the next services.

I rather imagine the public would be anything but won over by this sort of action!
No I agree with you about the Saturdays. However this issue needs to be brought to ahead. No matter what I think of the strikes and RMT we cannot carry on in this limbo. The only real way to end this deadlock is to get oneside to backdown either the RMT or the government ( I say the government as Northern cannot back down due to the agreement with the DFT). The only way this can be brought to ahead is in two ways.

1) Continuous strike action every day till its sorted (RMT wont agree to this as the members cannot afford it).
2) Work to rule that causes maximum disruption.

Yes its very disruptive to me and fellow passengers but I would rather have that short term disruption and something done rather than strike every week till DOO gets implemented which is what we have at the moment. As currently I cannot see no end in sight.

Carlisle

Established Member
2) Work to rule that causes maximum disruption.
Isn’t there currently an overtime ban on Scotrail, that doesn’t appear to be having a huge effect,? So surely for that reason the RMT is unlikley to rush into deploying one on northern. As for a work to rule, history would suggest its a much more effective tactic for drivers to use than guards, as in practice, most trains would probably still be able to run albeit perhaps late with less revenue collected.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
The one thing that this thread has definitely told me is that a bunch of people on the internet believe they know my job better than I do.

I thought you were a driver. This thread is about the dispute between the RMT and Northern over the role of the guard, like with the Merseyrail dispute even if the RMT come to an agreement ASLEF might hamper the agreement between the TOC and the RMT.

furnessvale

Established Member
I think the public are savvy enough to know that a work to rule, in any industry, is a euphemism for being bloody awkward with the intention of screwing the job up.

The alternative explanation is that safety rules are being routinely broken.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The alternative explanation is that safety rules are being routinely broken.

It's not so much safety rules that are being broken (they pretty much aren't) but you can frustrate the system by sticking to rostering rules, turnaround times and general terms and conditions that are stretched or flexed to breaking. We work a system where a single minute incorrect can cause multiple services to be cancelled.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Timetable chaos plays very badly in the news and the question would be whose PR people could spin it better. After seeing a lot of what the RMT has put out for public consumption I'd imagine the government would easily spin it to their advantage. By a country mile. It would be a very high risk strategy.

Ianigsy

Ditto for another option, which would be to bring different depots out on different days over the course of a week (say Liverpool on Monday, Manchester on Tuesday, Leeds on Wednesday etc) as happened in one of the Royal Mail disputes a few years back - which could actually cause more inconvenience for the crews themselves if there isn't a unit for them to work back home at the end of a shift.

muz379

Established Member
Ditto for another option, which would be to bring different depots out on different days over the course of a week (say Liverpool on Monday, Manchester on Tuesday, Leeds on Wednesday etc) as happened in one of the Royal Mail disputes a few years back - which could actually cause more inconvenience for the crews themselves if there isn't a unit for them to work back home at the end of a shift.
This would probably lead to an unintended rest day working ban among guards . Lets use one of the examples you have just given

Liverpool out on Monday , Manchester out on Tuesday .

I would be willing to bet that if Liverpool went out on Monday , there would be no guards at Manchester making themselves available for Rest day working for fear they might be called in on RDW to cross cover Liverpool work that they sign and the way this could be perceived by their striking colleagues in other depots . There is plenty of overlap with a lot of routes having more than one depot sign it . Being honest I dont think having depots out individually like that would cause as much disruption especially with smaller depots like Liverpool . Maybe if you had the eastern and western depots out on different days there could be some disruption .

Dave1987

On Moderation
I thought you were a driver. This thread is about the dispute between the RMT and Northern over the role of the guard, like with the Merseyrail dispute even if the RMT come to an agreement ASLEF might hamper the agreement between the TOC and the RMT.

I am. Yet you seem to think you know my job better than I do.

pemma

Veteran Member
I am. Yet you seem to think you know my job better than I do.

I can only presume you're referring to the fact I have previously said train drivers are better well paid than people in equivalent jobs outside the rail industry. The responses I've had to that fall in to 3 categories:
1. Those who agree, often either praising ASLEF for getting drivers high salaries or suggesting it relates to privitisation.
2. Those who disagree, often saying that comparisons can't be made between a train driver role and any other role - even though there are now independent pay bodies who have been set up to look at pay discrepancies have a way of scoring different jobs so can compare any role with any other role.
3. Those who start posting abuse and claim I'm jealous because I don't earn as much as train drivers.

Dave1987

On Moderation
I can only presume you're referring to the fact I have previously said train drivers are better well paid than people in equivalent jobs outside the rail industry. The responses I've had to that fall in to 3 categories:
1. Those who agree, often either praising ASLEF for getting drivers high salaries or suggesting it relates to privitisation.
2. Those who disagree, often saying that comparisons can't be made between a train driver role and any other role - even though there are now independent pay bodies who have been set up to look at pay discrepancies have a way of scoring different jobs so can compare any role with any other role.
3. Those who start posting abuse and claim I'm jealous because I don't earn as much as train drivers.

I’m actually talking about you and others making statements about operational stuff for which you have no experience of at all. FWIW I truly believe there should be a fully trained guard on every service on the mainline. Then again what do I know I just drive trains day in day out at all times of the day and night and see the very worst of the British public.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I’m actually talking about you and others making statements about operational stuff for which you have no experience of at all. FWIW I truly believe there should be a fully trained guard on every service on the mainline. Then again what do I know I just drive trains day in day out at all times of the day and night and see the very worst of the British public.

As I'm sure you will accept, it's also better sometimes for an 'outsider' to look at an issue without the 'blinkers' that come from doing any job repetitively for many years. There have been many times when I've been told that something can't be done (usually '......but we've always done it that way') and yet, with a bit of discussion or planning it can easily be amended and/or improved. That's why some firms bring in outside consultants who, despite no special skills in that industry, know full well that all tasks can be broken down in to their constituent parts, and analysed accordingly.

Muttley

Yep, and it's bringing in outsiders, with things like their computer programmes that can diagram "better" than people who have done them all their working lives, that left us with the May farce.

Carlisle

Established Member
Yep, and it's bringing in outsiders, with things like their computer programmes that can diagram "better" than people who have done them all their working lives, that left us with the May farce.
Wasn’t it mostly an unwillingness to face the consequences early enough of late completion of Blackpool and Bolton electrification schemes and delayed DMU cascades, all happening alongside ongoing ASLEF and RMT industrial action .

Last edited:

mde

The RMT have a valid point though. What happens when the train is DOO and there is a major incident/accident?
You could end up with a scenario like Peckham Rye I guess. That's not to say having a guard there would have prevented it, but, it could have helped with better management of the situation on the ground so to speak.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
That argument applies for all services (ones with and ones without guards.)

Why is it OK for Northern to operate a pair of 150/1s with the guard in the rear unit at all times but it not OK for Northern to operate a 2 car 195 with just a driver on board?

Why is it OK for a 3 car 323/4 car 319 to be dispatched at Alderley Edge or Cheadle Hulme without a dispatcher but not at Wilmslow or Stockport?

Why is it OK for a Northern guard to not walk through a train late at night meaning no visible staff presence but LNR have guards and additional security staff walking through trains late at night?

There's no consistency.

Hopefully I can answer a few of these for you

2 of the main reasons why we have to be in the rear set are accidental division and if the EBS (Emergency Bypass Switch) has been Isolated as the driver can look after one half and the Guard the other

The Dispatching question is actually an easy one Its pointless Staff just dispatching Pendolinos and not the other types of units that stop there so basically its simpler. As Pendolinos very rarely stop at Platform 1 at Wilmslow We are self dispatch.

Its not OK for a Guard not to walk through late night trains and staff are monitored however if a Guard does not feel safe and the fact that backup or security is a rarity and also the fact that morale is at an all time low a minority of Guards have given up caring or attempting to go that extra mile.

Dave1987

On Moderation
As I'm sure you will accept, it's also better sometimes for an 'outsider' to look at an issue without the 'blinkers' that come from doing any job repetitively for many years. There have been many times when I've been told that something can't be done (usually '......but we've always done it that way') and yet, with a bit of discussion or planning it can easily be amended and/or improved. That's why some firms bring in outside consultants who, despite no special skills in that industry, know full well that all tasks can be broken down in to their constituent parts, and analysed accordingly.

Yup and I’ve seen that go so disastrously wrong a couple of times the whole thing has been ditched within weeks because the outside ‘consultants’ had no experience of railway ops at all and basically turned into a massive waste of money.

geoffk

Established Member
Not sure if this has been raised already. Are the Northern managers/supervisors currently acting as guards on Saturdays getting extra pay and/or a day off in the week; are they volunteering or being "persuaded" to work (maybe reminded that a refusal to work could be taken into account when applying for promotion etc.)? If the answer to the above is no/not volunteering, then the adoption of Saturday as RMT's strike day of choice is all about wearing down Northern managers, who are probably sick of giving up their Saturdays by now, with Christmas coming, with nothing in return. Any comments?

scrapy

Established Member
Not sure if this has been raised already. Are the Northern managers/supervisors currently acting as guards on Saturdays getting extra pay and/or a day off in the week; are they volunteering or being "persuaded" to work (maybe reminded that a refusal to work could be taken into account when applying for promotion etc.)? If the answer to the above is no/not volunteering, then the adoption of Saturday as RMT's strike day of choice is all about wearing down Northern managers, who are probably sick of giving up their Saturdays by now, with Christmas coming, with nothing in return. Any comments?
Think it's all of the above. Some who don't have to volunteer both for the extra money and perceived promotion prospects. Some who have to work do so begrudgingly. Some refuse. What they get paid and what time in lieu they get will probably vary depending on the role they do, although I do know they get a generous payment on top of any overtime.

pemma

Veteran Member

Have you driven 195s or 331s on Northern routes at different times of the day? Some of what you've experienced will apply to Northern, some of what you've experienced won't. As you'll notice @ANorthernGuard gives a valid reason for one member of staff being in the front unit and another being in the rear unit, on another forum a vocal GWR driver claims it's a Northern only rule and the Northern rules regarding guards are a load of nonsense. (He's anti-DOO but of the opinion guards would provide a more visible staff presence if they weren't following 'nonsense rules'.)

2 of the main reasons why we have to be in the rear set are accidental division and if the EBS (Emergency Bypass Switch) has been Isolated as the driver can look after one half and the Guard the other

I'm aware there's valid reasons for having one member of staff per unit. However, the driver isn't a visible staff member so when the argument against a train running with just a driver on board is passengers want a visible staff presence, it kind of doesn't make sense when Northern don't always provide an AFC for a pair of non-corridor linked units.

The Dispatching question is actually an easy one Its pointless Staff just dispatching Pendolinos and not the other types of units that stop there so basically its simpler. As Pendolinos very rarely stop at Platform 1 at Wilmslow We are self dispatch.

The question is really when it's safe to self dispatch and when should there be a dispatcher. Even where there's agreements in place they only seem to be 'gentleman's agreements' and are ambiguous - take the ASLEF/Gatwick Express agreement which was for 10 cars maximum DOO - nothing about the length of the cars or the number of doors on the cars.

Muttley

Wasn’t it mostly an unwillingness to face the consequences early enough of late completion of Blackpool and Bolton electrification schemes and delayed DMU cascades, all happening alongside ongoing ASLEF and RMT industrial action .
Only on the West side. The East side fell to pieces mainly due to computer generated diagramming.

muz379

Established Member
Have you driven 195s or 331s on Northern routes at different times of the day? Some of what you've experienced will apply to Northern, some of what you've experienced won't. As you'll notice @ANorthernGuard gives a valid reason for one member of staff being in the front unit and another being in the rear unit, on another forum a vocal GWR driver claims it's a Northern only rule and the Northern rules regarding guards are a load of nonsense. (He's anti-DOO but of the opinion guards would provide a more visible staff presence if they weren't following 'nonsense rules'.)
I dont necessarily know if its for a Driver at one TOC to question the rules set by the standards department at another TOC . The standards say you cannot unit hop and there should be good reason behind that and the standard should have been set using an evidence based process . Of course as the rule is not a reflection of any RSSB requirement contained in the rule book that standard could be revisited should the toc wish . And at some point it may well find itself subject to discussion and possible review .

Strictly from a personal point of view even if unit hopping was permitted it would be something I would be reluctant to do . Because whilst I am in the front unit with no gangway connection I do not have easy access to my PPE such as my handlamp , my red flag , my hi viz vest and any other equipment I am carrying which could assist me . So if I have unit hopped between station X and Y but something happens and the train is involved in an out of course situation before reaching station Y I wont be able to go on to the line to assist the driver or return to my rear unit and rear cab to get an item from my bag .

Yes guards if permitted to unit hop could provide a presence to more customers , and majority of the time could do so without issue . But we have set safety management systems in place for all scenarios that could occur . Personally I would rather be in the rear unit at best a few carriages away from my PPE so if there is a need to go on the line to assist the driver I can do .

Guards being permitted to unit hop could also result in incidents which currently cause minor delay to become incidents with more substantial delays . For example if I am in the front unit without my viz vest and someone pulls a passcom in the rear unit it is the driver who will have to go and reset that .

The question is really when it's safe to self dispatch and when should there be a dispatcher. Even where there's agreements in place they only seem to be 'gentleman's agreements' and are ambiguous - take the ASLEF/Gatwick Express agreement which was for 10 cars maximum DOO - nothing about the length of the cars or the number of doors on the cars.

Risk assessments are used to decide when dispatchers are and are not required (notwithstanding local instructions like stations with RA dispatch ). All locations will have risk assessments carried out and then provision set according to the findings of the risk assessment .

Those risk assessments should be and I do believe are being revisited so we might see changes to provision at some locations as a result of revisiting the risk assessments .

Do we know for a fact that the technical detail or the risk assessment for the Gatwick express DOO agreement did not specify some technical details about length of actual train . That should surely be considered as part of any risk assessment .

I'd have thought a computer would be able to do diagramming much more accurately than a human - unless, of course, the system was rubbish!
The computer might be able to produce more efficient diagrams , and to a point it does . But an experienced human is also able to spot things that wont work in practice despite meeting the parameters the computer program is following . Of course again the computer could be programmed for this , but that requires that experience to be present in the people using the program

Any experienced guard or driver will be able to look at their diagram for the day and highlight the areas with performance risks .E.g. you work a train that passes through a major city with a number of constantly congested junctions and then you have a break that meets the minimum requirements , you can say with some degree of confidence that the train following your break will have to be taken out late . This is why for all the computer systems used human checking at multiple levels should still be part of the diagramming process . Unfortunately the drive to be a business is reducing provision for this . But then we have local managers at least in my experience increasingly asking the actual train crew themselves for feedback on the diagrams and the diagrams with performance risks in them as a reactive step to found poor performance when the diagrams see the real world .

Dave1987

On Moderation
I'd have thought a computer would be able to do diagramming much more accurately than a human - unless, of course, the system was rubbish!

I know of a new set of drivers diagrams that was brought in at one particular TOC because a consultancy company claimed their algorithms could do the diagrams much more efficiently and save some diagrams per day so less drivers required. It was ditched within couple of weeks because the computer algorithm didn’t have scope for all the factors associated with train planning that an experienced planner knows to take into consideration and allow pathing time for. computers are only and will continue to be only as good as the data they are fed and how good or bad they are programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.