• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva to close Aylesbury and High Wycombe depots

KX03HZY

In not altogether surprising news, Arriva is proposing to close Aylesbury and Wycombe depots.

Proposed closure of Aylesbury and High Wycombe depots
We have taken the difficult decision to begin consultation with our colleagues on the proposed closure of our Aylesbury and High Wycombe depots. Despite extensive efforts to turn the situation around, including making network changes to better reflect local demand, both sites continue to be loss-making.

There will be no immediate impact on services and we will work with local authority partners to explore ways to minimise the impact, should we withdraw services.

We will keep our customers and our employees updated throughout this period.
If the closures go ahead, Arriva will no longer operate the following services:

o X7/X8 – Aylesbury to Oxford
o X9/X90 – Aylesbury to High Wycombe
o 2 – High Wycombe to Booker
o 3 – High Wycombe to Castlefield
o 4 – High Wycombe to Lane End
o 5/5a – High Wycombe to Bourne End
o 6/6a – High Wycombe to Bourne End
o 7/7a – High Wycombe to Bourne End and Maidenhead
o 10 – High Wycombe to Downley
o 11 – High Wycombe to Penn
o 12 – High Wycombe to Micklefield
o 13 – High Wycombe to Totteridge
o 800/850/X80 – High Wycombe to Henley on Thames and Reading
o X9/90 – Aylesbury to High Wycombe.

If the closures go ahead, the X5 (Aylesbury to Hemel Hempstead) would continue to operate running from our Hemel Hempstead depot instead.

Arriva will continue to operate the contracted services listed below on behalf of Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Councils for the remainder of the agreed contract term:

Authority
Route
Details
Oxfordshire
Specific journeys diverted to serve Binfield Heath
Oxfordshire
Mon- Sat evenings
Buckinghamshire
Sundays
Buckinghamshire
30 min frequency
Buckinghamshire
Evenings
Buckinghamshire
Sundays
Buckinghamshire
Evenings
Buckinghamshire
Sundays
Buckinghamshire
Evenings
Buckinghamshire
Sundays
Buckinghamshire
Specific journeys
Buckinghamshire
Evenings

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

In not altogether surprising news, Arriva is proposing to close Aylesbury and Wycombe depots.
Staff were told this afternoon - got tipped off about it. Absolutely no surprise and, I fear, not the last we've seen. Feel sorry for the decent people (locally) who are battling against the corporate mismanagement of that business.

Last edited:

northern506

Staff were told this afternoon - got tipped off about it. Absolutely no surprise and, I fear, not the last we've seen. Feel sorry for the decent people (locally) who are battling against the corporate mismanagement of that business.

I'm sure you might have called this happening a while back! I'm not surprised in the slightest either.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the North East depots are next - Redcar in particular seems to be operated appallingly with maintenance that bad journeys are missing everyday despite having enough drivers.

Parebunks

Well, can't say I'm all that surprised. Thought Aylesbury would go before Wycombe, but I guess it makes sense that they'd go all at once rather than further managed decline in Wycombe. I feel for the staff - can't say Red Group seem like the most attractive of employers.
Think it's a safe bet that the 130 will be left as the only Wycombe-Aylesbury, maybe some diversions to cover Naphill. Probably ditto for the X7/X8/X20 - at a stretch Oxford Bus might go out as far as Thame to cover Wheatley and replace the 400 once Brookes leaves Wheatley, but doubt they'd be interested in going all the way. Carousel seems the natural choice for most of the Wycombe routes, maybe Red Group for a few of the more marginal ones. Probably also Carousel to Henley/Reading, tho I guess Reading Buses could also be a candidate.
Agree with other comments made that this probably isn't the end, although couldn't pick out any particular operations that seem at risk.

M803UYA

I'm sure you might have called this happening a while back! I'm not surprised in the slightest either.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the North East depots are next - Redcar in particular seems to be operated appallingly with maintenance that bad journeys are missing everyday despite having enough drivers.
The maintenance, or lack of, is a feature most if not all Arriva operations.......

Hophead

Established Member
In High Wycombe at least, Go-Ahead will presumably be rolling out their proven emergency coverage routine, albeit with a different operating company this time around. Some of the Oxford vehicles displaced by new electrics might not be moving as far as originally planned, perhaps?

Parebunks

In High Wycombe at least, Go-Ahead will presumably be rolling out their proven emergency coverage routine, albeit with a different operating company this time around. Some of the Oxford vehicles displaced by new electrics might not be moving as far as originally planned, perhaps?
Hardly an emergency with two and a half months notice! Most of the displaced Oxfords were planned to stay near Oxford anyway, almost all of those due to leave Oxford Bus Group have already done so. Streetdecks and remaining Enviros all to go to TT or Carousel is my understanding, suppose they'll just have to keep the older Carousel vehicles around for a bit longer.

lincman

The only surprise is that Wycombe lasted this long; it has been a basket case for years, and not all on the management's side.

greenline712

The first sign of I-Squared flexing its muscle? To be fair, Aylesbury with a PVR (peak vehicle requirement) of just 17 buses was never long for this world, but I'm slightly surprised about High Wycombe, especially given the recent tinkering with the services, and the efforts in publicising them; they've hardly given the changes long enough to settle in.
What price Hemel Hempstead now? It's rather remote, only Luton nearby; nothing is safe, it seems.
We live in interesting times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgameing123

Arriva really want to kill themselves: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/latest-news/proposed-closure-of-aylesbury-and-high-wycombe-depots

But how would you imagine the replacements would look like? Thames Valley to High Wycombe? More Carousel? Red Group win the Aylesbury bus war and expand into more territory?

New Carousel annoucement
[/URL]

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What price Hemel Hempstead now? It's rather remote, only Luton nearby .... nothing is safe, it seems.
Isn’t the Watford stuff run from Hemel these days? That should help, though as you say, nothing is safe.

New owners continuing the mistakes of the old?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The only surprise is that Wycombe lasted this long; it has been a basket case for years, and not all on the management's side.
My comment was that even local management (down to OpCo level) are hamstrung by the decisions and policies of Arriva UK Bus. I feel sorry not only for the drivers and maintenance staff but also to local managers who are fighting with both hands tied.

The first sign of I-Squared flexing its muscle? To be fair, Aylesbury with a PVR (peak vehicle requirement) of just 17 buses was never long for this world, but I'm slightly surprised about High Wycombe, especially given the recent tinkering with the services, and the efforts in publicising them; they've hardly given the changes long enough to settle in.
What price Hemel Hempstead now? It's rather remote, only Luton nearby; nothing is safe, it seems.

Isn’t the Watford stuff run from Hemel these days? That should help, though as you say, nothing is safe.

New owners continuing the mistakes of the old?
Has the deal actually completed yet? Whilst the Arriva website has been effectively debranded, the DB website still has a link to DB Arriva under its business units, and I can't recall (or find) any announcement that it has actually been concluded.

Moreover, I don't think this is connected with new ownership even if it has completed. This has the hallmarks of the existing Arriva board/UK Bus management with the Cheshire exit but also the continuing erosion of other parts of the business where operations simply become too small to be viable and/or are immeasurably susceptible to competition. This is the inevitable conclusion of a ruinous policy of assessing service viability allied to chronic underinvestment and a lack of leadership (as I'm bored of saying, and you're bored of me saying).

Mgameing123

How can't they turn a profit? Most of their services run busy.

High Wycombe has also some very busy town routes and it would be very sad to lose Arriva considering Carousel would most likely gobble up the network and become the towns monopoly. Unless if First Beeline or Red Group steps in and takes some of the High Wycombe town routes.

Well, can't say I'm all that surprised. Thought Aylesbury would go before Wycombe, but I guess it makes sense that they'd go all at once rather than further managed decline in Wycombe. I feel for the staff - can't say Red Group seem like the most attractive of employers.
Think it's a safe bet that the 130 will be left as the only Wycombe-Aylesbury, maybe some diversions to cover Naphill. Probably ditto for the X7/X8/X20 - at a stretch Oxford Bus might go out as far as Thame to cover Wheatley and replace the 400 once Brookes leaves Wheatley, but doubt they'd be interested in going all the way. Carousel seems the natural choice for most of the Wycombe routes, maybe Red Group for a few of the more marginal ones. Probably also Carousel to Henley/Reading, tho I guess Reading Buses could also be a candidate.
Agree with other comments made that this probably isn't the end, although couldn't pick out any particular operations that seem at risk.
Thames Valley could be a candidate for the High Wycombe to Maidenhead route or even First Beeline could take on some routes. Carousel taking over most of the town routes would be disastrous as that will create a monopoly in town.

EDIT
I found this: https://www.carouselbuses.co.uk/carousel-buses-response-closure-arriva-high-wycombe-and-aylesbury[/URL]

Last edited:

A0wen

On Moderation
How can't they turn a profit? Most of their services run busy.

Because salaries are higher in areas like High Wycombe which increases the running costs and if a high proportion of the passengers are travelling on passes (e.g. ENCTS) then the revenue won't be covering the costs.

Well quite - it's worth remembering London Country closed their High Wycombe garage as far back as 1977. Various others have tried to run services in the Wycombe area - Alder Valley / Berks Bucks, Oxford as Wycombe Bus, all retrenched. It's long been a challenging area.

Carousel taking over most of the town routes would be disastrous as that will create a monopoly in town.

There are plenty of towns up and down the country a similar size to Wycombe where one company has a monopoly of town routes. In some ways it may actually be the competition which has finished off Arriva in Wycombe if they are perceived to be the weakest of the operators.

greenline712

I'd say that a bus monopoly in High Wycombe wouldn't be a bad thing, just now. It would allow management to concentrate on running buses, without looking over their shoulder at what any competition might be up to. I'd lay money that the GoAhead "Takeover Team" will be mobilised pretty damn smartish . . .whilst not as big as Southampton, which did seem to go rather smoothly, it should be entirely possible. Taking on the Cressex garage would also help, as the current Carousel garage is a big small already.

Leave Aylesbury to the Aylesbury Reds . . . they've almost covered it already . . .

The end of July isn't long to wait . . . !!

Parebunks

Quote from the article above with specific plans:
“I can reassure them that Carousel is ready to step in, to ensure bus users can still get to where they need to go. If Arriva does proceed with its plans to close the High Wycombe depot, we plan to immediately provide a service on current Arriva routes 2, 3, 5/5a, 6/6a, 7/7a, 10, 11, 12, 13, 800, 850 and X80, from the date of the closure.

As already announced, we are also already taking over the operation of service 4 from 19th May 2024, and our sister company Oxford Bus Company will be commencing a new service 280, following the route of the current Arriva X7 service between Oxford and Thame, from 1st July 2024.
Interesting that the Oxford Bus 280 is starting before Arriva quits, for a period there'll be three companies doing Oxford-Thame! Else good to see Carousel quick off the mark ensuring routes are covered, hopefully the introduction of Oxford electrics allows them to expand without damaging quality.

Mgameing123

Quote from the article above with specific plans:

Interesting that the Oxford Bus 280 is starting before Arriva quits, for a period there'll be three companies doing Oxford-Thame! Else good to see Carousel quick off the mark ensuring routes are covered, hopefully the introduction of Oxford electrics allows them to expand without damaging quality.
Im honestly sad that Red Group didn't act faster to provide replacement for some of the other town routes in High Wycombe. Now Go Ahead will dominate High Wycombe. :(

Mgameing123

I'd say that a bus monopoly in High Wycombe wouldn't be a bad thing, just now. It would allow management to concentrate on running buses, without looking over their shoulder at what any competition might be up to. I'd lay money that the GoAhead "Takeover Team" will be mobilised pretty damn smartish . . .whilst not as big as Southampton, which did seem to go rather smoothly, it should be entirely possible. Taking on the Cressex garage would also help, as the current Carousel garage is a big small already.

Leave Aylesbury to the Aylesbury Reds . . . they've almost covered it already . . .

The end of July isn't long to wait . . . !!
Carousel being a monopoly is not a good thing concidering how its going over in Southampton. Carousel are already bad in the first place and now they can ruin service even further.

overthewater

Established Member
This is a fast moving story, However Is there any reason ( I think I'm reading this correctly) Carousel has not stated it will take on the "X9/X90 – Aylesbury to High Wycombe"

greenline712

Carousel being a monopoly is not a good thing concidering how its going over in Southampton. Carousel are already bad in the first place and now they can ruin service even further.
And Carousel are worse than Arriva how?? Not in my experience, and others might agree with me.
I hear that Southampton is actually going quite well .... can anyone local confirm or deny??

Mgameing123

And Carousel are worse than Arriva how?? Not in my experience, and others might agree with me.
I hear that Southampton is actually going quite well .... can anyone local confirm or deny??
A local told me CityRed was alot more reliable than Bluestar. After CityRed shut down he tried everything he could to take XelaBus instead.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I was in High Wycombe last week. The (Arriva) 2 was the best I've seen it with no obvious missing buses (though some rather smaller buses than ideal on the route). I caught a (Carousel) 8 to the station, deliberately missing a 2 as that would have needed a long walk, I could see the 8 was at the terminus and I had 10 minutes connection at the station. The 8 started 6 minutes late for no obvious reason, hit traffic on the way into town and missed the train all 4 still on the bus at the station were going for.

8 and X8 seemed to be having big problems at other times of day running anywhere near the timetable.

A very small sample, but I've always been used to Carousel being the better company there.

Last edited:

goldisgood

As predicted upthread , Oxford Bus Company will be stepping in to provide a replacement between Oxford and Thame from the start of July. SOURCE

A0wen

On Moderation
As predicted upthread , Oxford Bus Company will be stepping in to provide a replacement between Oxford and Thame from the start of July. SOURCE

Also that link metions routes which Carousel will be taking over from Arriva

We are pleased to announce that we will be stepping in to assist Arriva customers with the launch of a new 280 service between Oxford, Headington, Wheatley and Thame. This service will operate every 30 minutes and will commence operation from 1st July 2024. The timetable for the new service will be posted here as soon as possible.

In addition, our sister company Carousel Buses will be stepping in to provide replacement services on routes in the High Wycombe area. Carousel is taking over route 4 from 19th May 2024, and has also announced that it provide replacement services on current Arriva routes 2, 3, 5/5a, 6/6a, 7/7a, 10, 11, 12, 13, 800, 850 and X80, from the date of the closure.

Mgameing123

So he didn't get far then, given Xelabus's smaller coverage?
Well now he is forced to use bluestar. Xelabus used to have more routes but the owner is now more keen on coach hire than commercial bus routes.

I once used Carousel and they cancelled 2 of the buses I had to use. I'm not used to bus cancellations ever since I moved to Denmark.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which depot operates the X4 and X6 Aylesbury-MK as those aren't listed as ending? Or is that operated by Aylesbury now (thought it was) but going to move to Wolverton?

Where are the Leighton Buzzard locals operated from, is there a depot there?

Parebunks

Local media have been reporting that First have their eye on some of the Wycombe routes too - doesn't seem like fertile ground for onroad competition, I assume someone will have to back down before July.