• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Trains Wales - Trainee Driver & Conductor Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpsWeb

Lots of vacancies and locations advertised now:

https://www.comeaboard.co.uk/recruiter/users/jobsearch.php

» Trainee Train Driver (Machynlleth) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Train Driver (Pwllheli) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Train Driver (Crewe) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Train Driver (Shrewsbury) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Cardiff ) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Carmarthen ) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Shrewsbury ) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Crewe) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Machynlleth) - closing: 09/10/16

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Lots of vacancies and locations advertised now:

https://www.comeaboard.co.uk/recruiter/users/jobsearch.php

» Trainee Train Driver (Machynlleth) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Train Driver (Pwllheli) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Train Driver (Crewe) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Train Driver (Shrewsbury) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Cardiff ) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Carmarthen ) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Shrewsbury ) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Crewe) - closing: 09/10/16

» Trainee Conductor (Machynlleth) - closing: 09/10/16

I wondered how long this would take :lol:

craigybagel

Established Member
What routes do Crewe drivers sign?

Crewe-Manchester 4 ways (Handforth , Styal, Warrington, Stoke)
Crewe-Shrewsbury-Chester triangle
Shrewbury-Cardiff
Shrewsbury-Birmingham International
Crewe-Wolverhampton + Oxley Chord
Crewe LNWR

Top link (of 2) also sign Canton Depot

Undiscovered

What're the available vacancies for each of these positions? And how come so many have come up at once, especially with the uncertainty of service from Shrewsbury to Crewe and Birmingham transferring to LM?

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
What're the available vacancies for each of these positions? And how come so many have come up at once, especially with the uncertainty of service from Shrewsbury to Crewe and Birmingham transferring to LM?

There isn't really any uncertainty, only speculation on this forum with little basis in fact. And if any change does actually take place, drivers and conductors will still be required regardless of who runs the trains. Crewe's route card has changed a lot in the last 10 years and Shrewsbury ATW didn't even exist then.

Last edited:

stjimmy87

Does anybody have any idea what the shift patterns are like with ATW? I currently live in Nottingham but would be willing to relocate to Telford so I can go for the Shrewsbury vacancy.

craigybagel

Established Member
Does anybody have any idea what the shift patterns are like with ATW? I currently live in Nottingham but would be willing to relocate to Telford so I can go for the Shrewsbury vacancy.

4 day week, Sundays outside but rostered as compulsory overtime if you can't get anyone to cover it for you. 5 day weekend every 3 weeks.

Gareth111278

Hi
I've just applied for the driver vacancy at Machynlleth.

I applied twice in the past & was lucky enough to get to assement centre where I failed the old concentration / reaction test both times.

I thought that was it for me but I get another chance with the new tests.
Obviously I'm worried that I'll fail again, if I even make the assessment centre.

Are there any books , DVDs, programs etc to help me practice / prepare for the new tests? I've read on here that the How2become series aren't worth buying.

Any advice welcome. :)

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Why would lm take over Birmingham services you mean cambrian services will be cut?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Why would lm take over Birmingham services you mean cambrian services will be cut?

Forget it for now. It's merely people speculating the future when the replacement for the ATW franchise runs out in 2018 and as to what will happen to the franchise map for a new Wales and Borders franchise.

the sniper

Established Member
Would I be right to presume that Machynlleth Guards just sign everything West of Shrewsbury and nothing else? Anyone know what a typical job car/diagram looks like for them?

Gareth111278

Would I be right to presume that Machynlleth Guards just sign everything West of Shrewsbury and nothing else? Anyone know what a typical job car/diagram looks like for them?

Machynlleth guards sign as far as Birmingham international. Via Wolverhampton, Smethwick GB & New St.
Pwllheli sign to Shrewsbury.

Gareth111278

No,
Mach drivers don't go to Birmingham. It was decided to keep them on ERTMS. Shrewsbury drivers don't sign down to Mach to keep them on conventional signaling.

metalmickey

Anyone know if the customer service role attracts a shift enhancement and if so, how much?

craigybagel

Established Member
No,
Mach drivers don't go to Birmingham. It was decided to keep them on ERTMS. Shrewsbury drivers don't sign down to Mach to keep them on conventional signaling.

Although to be fair Shrewsbury ATW drivers never went down the Cambrian even when it was RETB. The top link at Crewe did however, losing it when ERTMS came in.

Besides, you need to change your shirt when you move from the Cambrian to the mainline ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone know what a typical job car/diagram looks like for them?

Most of their work involves Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury. They only have 2 Birmingham jobs per day and with the recent expansion of Pwlheli they don't have all that many trips up the coast any more (although with the current Barmouth bridge issues they do apparently have a job consisting of 4 Tywyn's!). Lovely depot though, nice bunch of people in a beautiful part of the world.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone know if the customer service role attracts a shift enhancement and if so, how much?

I don't believe so. Normally those jobs that include a shift enhancement specifically mention it (they've just pulled an advert for a maintenance team leader at Machynlleth which included it for example) and the salary figures quoted look about right for the roles.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Cambrian Drivers - dark shirt means there top link compared to normal ATW drivers :D

No use driving on Cambrian if unmanned level crossings make you nervous we've got lots of them. 120 plus miles of glorious Welsh countryside to drive through and about 10 miles in England. Sea views, avalanche shelter @ Friog, Osprey nest at Dovey Junction, Barmouth Bridge. Talerddig bank can still be challenging even with modern DMU.

A lot of Shrewsbury to Talerddig is 80mph line speed making it one if not the fastest single track line in UK? 60 mph west of and 55mph on coast route.

Cambrian Conductors - two chav fare dodger spots to watch for Welshpool/Newtown and Borth/Aberystwyth. Getting irregular customers into right portion of train leaving Shrewsbury is one of the big jobs without inducing mass panic on departure from Shrewsbury. They've got over an hour till Machynlleth before the train splits but Ive seen some dangerous stampedes going past Sutton Bridge Junction....

godfreycomplex

Established Member
A lot of Shrewsbury to Talerddig is 80mph line speed making it one if not the fastest single track line in UK? 60 mph west of and 55mph on coast route.
The Far North line is 90 for a stretch near Altnabreac (no, seriously) but yes 80 is certainly up there.

Apropos of nothing; for conductors does anyone know how long it takes to get from Cardiff Valleys to Cardiff Mainline these days?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
The Far North line is 90 for a stretch near Altnabreac (no, seriously) but yes 80 is certainly up there.

Apropos of nothing; for conductors does anyone know how long it takes to get from Cardiff Valleys to Cardiff Mainline these days?

46 miles from Sutton Bridge Jnc to Talerddig is scheduled for 49 minutes. Average of 56 mph beats many "mainline" av speeds. its over a long distance not just a short stretch.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Depends where from in the Valleys
Have a look at Real Time Trains

Last edited:

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Depends where from in the Valleys
Have a look at Real Time Trains

Sorry wasn't clear - how long, on average, does it take for a newly "hired" conductor to move from the Valleys link/depot at Cardiff Central to the Mainline link/depot at Cardiff Central.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
No time at all, the last few guards for mainline were actually recruited directly, they didn't go on the valleys first. I'm not sure where the current vacancies are but if your desire is to go mainline rather than valleys you may be in luck.

Undiscovered

Some of these have closed already.
Any idea on what the limit was and how many they're looking for at each depot?

Gareth111278

Some of these have closed already.
Any idea on what the limit was and how many they're looking for at each depot?

No idea on limits but I think Machynlleth may need two drivers. I think the guards compliment is full. Pwllheli is up to strength so I can only assume some of this is about having people ready for when vacancies do arise.

I don't know about other depots.

Status
Not open for further replies.