Arriva Trains Wales- Trainee drivers

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by 007, 22 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007

007 Member

2. df1991

df1991 Member

Assuming relocating specifically for this role isn't acceptable

3. TDK

TDK Established Member

It is acceptable but the company will take someone local over someone who has to relocate who have the same abilities, however certain companies have taken on people who can prove they will relocate the problem is at interview when the interviewer needs to be 100% sure that a candidate won't locate back to their original area once passing out.

4. df1991

df1991 Member

Oh I see. I would stay in wales. But yeah i assume they would rather choose someone who is already there. Thanks for the response

5. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

What do Carmarthen drivers sign?

Carmarthen - Fishguard / Pembroke Dock / Milford Haven.
    Carmarthen - Cardiff Central (Via Swansea / Via Swansea District)
    Llanelli - Somewhere on the HOWL

Anywhere else?

6. Pacerpilot

Pacerpilot Member

All those plus Vale of Glamorgan. Llandod on the Central Wales line

7. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

Do they still go to Maesteg ? They used to a couple of years back.

8. Pacerpilot

Pacerpilot Member

No, came off the card 2009ish.

9. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

Although I'm sure Cardiff mainline would happily give back some of their work up there <D

Traction is 142/3, 150, 153, 158 and 175. Lovely bunch of people for the most part and some of the best scenery in the country - I'd be going for it myself if it wasn't too big a move.

Pretty sure they also sign Canton Depot.

10. hilly

hilly Member

Job advert States must live within 1 hour - how do they judge that as I can get to Carmarthen at the speed limit in less than an hour from Cardiff, however google maps seems to think it should take me 1 hour 10 mins at best

11. TDK

TDK Established Member

Average times taking into account traffic

12. hilly

hilly Member

I have applied for this role, stating I am willing to relocate if necessary. Fingers crossed now

13. nick40uk

nick40uk Member

Got my application in a few days ago. Would have to relocate but that wouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know where they would be doing tests, interviews, etc.?

14. red2005

red2005 Member

probably St David's house Cardiff

15. Morgan649

Morgan649 Member

Has anyone heard back about this job ?

16. 67028

67028 New Member

Don't get your hopes up just yet; they haven't responded to the trainee guard applicants that closed 2 weeks ago!

17. zoso121

zoso121 New Member

Had my rejection email about 2 hours ago. :(

18. Morgan649

Morgan649 Member

I got rejected too about 2hrs ago :(

19. Twedds74

Twedds74 Member

Yeah got mine aswell, even though ive just recently passed assessments with another toc :(
    And I stated quite clearly I would relocate.

20. hilly

hilly Member

Rejected as well - no feedback available either due to number of applications

21. df1991

df1991 Member

Ditto guys. Those who got rejected, any of you living in wales? Maybe we got rejected because they have so many who are already living there

22. hilly

hilly Member

I live in Cardiff - so outside of the 1 hour travelling time specified however was willing to relocate

23. zoso121

zoso121 New Member

I live near Port Talbot so around a 40 min drive to Carmarthen . I sent my application in just before the closing date & judging by the speed of the rejection I suspect they didn't even look at it. <(

Last edited: 5 Jun 2015
  24. df1991

df1991 Member

When did ya send in your application?

Yeah i literally sent it on the last date at 11pm because i wasn't sure whether to apply or not lol. Gutted but from London and that would have been a hugr move for me as I've always been in London

25. Twedds74

Twedds74 Member

df1991, where in London are u? Southeastern are recruiting for depot drivers at Slade Green (Dartford) if that interests you? Closes on 18th. I just put in for Gillingham:)

26. df1991

df1991 Member

Oh thanks buddy!! Will apply for that. I will have a proper look at it later. Whats the most you get paid when qualified and trained, do you know? Or is it the salary thats stated.. The 30 something? Thanks again

27. hilly

hilly Member

sent it in pretty late on the day as i wanted to make sure everything was right in the statement

28. df1991

df1991 Member

Oh okay. I think may not have put enough detail into the statement. Ah well next time :). We'll all get there eventually if we keep trying and dont give up mate

29. Themob

Themob Member

I start my driver training soon.
    My primary concern before and at the very initial stages of application , was that I was at an extreme disadvantage when competing against those whom may already be employed within the industry. Rest assured that each stage of application grants enough scope to draw on the attributes the TOC seek, regardless of the applicants background .
    In my written application ( accepting my initial concerns), I made double sure I was grammatically correct etc and paid particular attention to the format of my personal statement .
    I knew the volume of applications to the TOC would be huge and much of them better than mine. To make mine stand out, It had to less generic; everybody would explain how they're good team players etc, so I practically listed the attributes they listed in their job description and complemented each one with an example of how I matched that requirement with my experience or outlook.

The practice material they sent prior to my assessment day was more than adequate , it was obvious at each stage that having years of experience in the industry made no difference., you can draw a circle around clusters of four dots or you can't.

I made sure my application was sent within a day of the vacancy being advertised. The thinking behind this was it would show efficiency and also demonstrate I could submit administration ( see the drivers remit) accurately and ahead of schedule.

In summary, don't be too general with application / interview answers, look what the role requirements are and match your answers to that. Don't digress or be superfluous.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2015
  30. Bluebird83

Bluebird83 New Member

First post!!

Hi,

Just noticed this thread. I've passed everything required for the Camarthen role and I'm second on the list, ie. 2nd runner up which leaves me in a state of limbo I guess. They also put me on the Cardiff list as I live there and I'm number 6 on that one apparently! I live in Cardiff and have been pressed in every stage as to wether I'd relocate which I obviously would. From reading some forums the lists/talent pool or whatever they're known as aren't a great place to be by the sounds! Any knowledge/advice/experience would be greatly appreciated?

Many Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.