• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASBO animals and furry trepassers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
No, it's not a new show on CBBC. As my London-bound train departed Virginia Water this evening, three unperturbed foxes lay across the rails of a disused siding, nonchalantly watching the trains pass.
I wonder if they leave fox-graffiti-tags on rolling stock, whilst the rest of us sleep...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
No, it's not a new show on CBBC. As my London-bound train departed Virginia Water this evening, three unperturbed foxes lay across the rails of a disused siding, nonchalantly watching the trains pass.
I wonder if they leave fox-graffiti-tags on rolling stock, whilst the rest of us sleep...

O rmaybe they walk onto operational lines and get fried by the 3rd rail <insert super-evil smiley> :D

furryfeet

It is Railtrack's new "Vermin control team" - Didn't you know ?

Non unionised and they do not require a Safety Certificate before being allowed on the "four foot".

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I do enjoy the many opportunities to see animal life from rail travel which might not otherwise occur.

Horses in paddocks, sheep on hillsides, cattle in valleys, badgers, curlews, falcons, owls, and more.
I enjoy watching herds of deer running away from a passing Sprinter in the middle of nowhere - they seem to know that they don't have to run far - the train is going to stay on the rails.
One that always puzzles me is the large number of Swans on the Tweed (under the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick). Sometimes there are scores of them there, and sometimes hardly any (or none) to be seen. Where do they go?

LE Greys

Established Member
I do enjoy the many opportunities to see animal life from rail travel which might not otherwise occur.

Horses in paddocks, sheep on hillsides, cattle in valleys, badgers, curlews, falcons, owls, and more.
I enjoy watching herds of deer running away from a passing Sprinter in the middle of nowhere - they seem to know that they don't have to run far - the train is going to stay on the rails.
One that always puzzles me is the large number of Swans on the Tweed (under the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick). Sometimes there are scores of them there, and sometimes hardly any (or none) to be seen. Where do they go?

Large groups of Swans often gather at moult sites after the breeding season. A lot of young birds stay around the sites until they pair off and go to find a territory (I studied zoology at Aberdeen). A good place for Deer is between Helmsdale and Kildonan on the Far North, they seem to like the river. You can also see Seals along the coast just south of there.

My favourite though was the Fox trotting along just opposite Royal Oak in broad daylight, alongside Valenta-powered departures from Paddington.

Established Member
A lot of the swans at Berwick are Bewick's swans, which probably migrate down the coast. A lot can be seen in the fields south of Berwick from time to time.

Best animal related views I've seen are the deer in the early morning sun between Fort William and Corrour, and some kind of bird of prey that seemed to follow the train on the Tyne Valley line. The Cambrian Coast line also had very good views of water birds in the estuaries and beaches.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not olong ago I saw three badgers floloping* alongside the West Anglia line in daylight- I've never seen a live one before, even at night, yet here were three in the sun.

*it may not be a real word, but it is good.

Aussie_Rail

At least if the train hits one it doesn't make a mess. You should see the carnage after a train hits a Kangaroo, or a cow, or even in some places a camel. Its nasty.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not olong ago I saw three badgers floloping* alongside the West Anglia line in daylight- I've never seen a live one before, even at night, yet here were three in the sun.

*it may not be a real word, but it is good.

Did you mean 'frolicking'?

LE Greys

Established Member
A lot of the swans at Berwick are Bewick's swans, which probably migrate down the coast. A lot can be seen in the fields south of Berwick from time to time.

Best animal related views I've seen are the deer in the early morning sun between Fort William and Corrour, and some kind of bird of prey that seemed to follow the train on the Tyne Valley line. The Cambrian Coast line also had very good views of water birds in the estuaries and beaches.

Buzzards most likely, although Red Kites are possible in some areas (I saw my first somewhere round the back of Didcot Railway Centre). If you're really lucky around Arisaig there's a chance of a Sea Eagle, and maybe a Golden Eagle around Rannoch Moor.

Good point on the Bewick's. There's also a good chance of Whoopers heading down the coast to places like Washington or Welney.

Wyvern

Established Member
In Norway some trains carry a rifle to finish off any large animals that have been run into.

Established Member
Buzzards most likely, although Red Kites are possible in some areas (I saw my first somewhere round the back of Didcot Railway Centre). If you're really lucky around Arisaig there's a chance of a Sea Eagle, and maybe a Golden Eagle around Rannoch Moor.

Good point on the Bewick's. There's also a good chance of Whoopers heading down the coast to places like Washington or Welney.

Could have been a merlin or harrier, that part of Northumberland has a few breeding pairs around (although sadly not many). Never seen a red kite on the railway, took a special bus trip to see them in the Derwent Valley. Quite possibly could have seen an eagle around Arisaig, although very early in the morning and bad light, so could have been something else.

furryfeet

Buzzards most likely, although Red Kites are possible in some areas (I saw my first somewhere round the back of Didcot Railway Centre)
I bet the buzzards are having a look to see if the train has run over a rabbit. Having said that, kites will take advantage of a rabbit carcass as well.

And yes I saw two kites loafing around the back of Didcot Railway centre on 29 May this year, whilst 6201 was being serviced.

Sometimes I see foxes in the evening around Tamworth station, if there are very few people about.

Status
Not open for further replies.