• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF strikes W/c 6th May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DMckduck97

Where do SWR and C2C stand in this though, I can't see them offering a deal for both 2022 and 2023.

5% no strings for 2022 like the RMT deal will be the play here surely

PLY2AYS

Movement?
Definitely.

I feel after Labour’s announcement of intent to renationalise; this government sense their end, and I’m sure they see it as a win to agree a pay deal in order to make the incoming (most likely Labour) government pay for it.

I guess this week’s local elections will tell us partly what the future holds.
But for the workers, particularly ASLEF, this could be a good move from Labour, and also an opportunity to achieve a fair deal.

With great respect, as I understand it, the offer is still available to be accepted if ASLEF change their mind. I'm not suggesting that they will or that they should or commenting on the behaviour of either side. But as the offer can be accepted it is still technically "on the table". It is semantics but one the government will continue with I imaging. Aslef cannot unilaterally "take it off the table" as it is not their offer to remove.

I do not believe that they should be forced to put it to their members and I see the argument why not. However the last move was made by the government with their offer - not matter how unacceptable. In traditional negotiation practice I would expect something of a counter from ASLEF - and "No, try again" doesn't count as such. The RMT made such a move and it led to a different offer, even if that was very cleary a short term fix.

Sorry to have ignored your post! Forgive me, I’m still trying to navigate this forum properly.

I understand the process to be; once an offer has been formally rejected, it cannot just be ‘left on the table to come back to’ as that negates the entire process of negotiations.
Once it has been formally rejected, it is by default, formally withdrawn and another firm offer (or counter offer) put in it’s place.

Which is what makes the statements made by MPs and the transport minister so laughable, because they themselves are unaware of how the process actually works. Yet they continue to say these ridiculous things in the press as though it is the truth.

Please feel free to correct me on this… I am simply stating my understanding and am happy to be corrected otherwise.

Last edited:

tpc

Definitely.

I feel after Labour’s announcement of intent to renationalise; this government sense their end, and I’m sure they see it as a win to agree a pay deal in order to make the incoming (most likely Labour) government pay for it.

I guess this week’s local elections will tell us partly what the future holds.
But for the workers, particularly ASLEF, this could be a good move from Labour, and also an opportunity to achieve a fair deal.

Sorry to have ignored your post! Forgive me, I’m still trying to navigate this forum properly.

I understand the process to be; once an offer has been formally rejected, it cannot just be ‘left on the table to come back to’ as that negates the entire process of negotiations.
Once it has been formally rejected, it is by default, formally withdrawn and another firm offer (or counter offer) put in it’s place.

Which is what makes the statements made by MPs and the transport minister so laughable, because they themselves are unaware of how the process actually works. Yet they continue to say these ridiculous things in the press as though it is the truth.

Please feel free to correct me on this… I am simply stating my understanding and am happy to be corrected otherwise.
Correct. It's gone. We pay Aslef to make these decisions and we vote to continue action if no deal is good enough to put to us. There is no offer on the table there's not even a table atm.

Moonshot

Established Member
Could that mean strikes could be cancelled next week if there are 'potential talks' being tabled ?
I seriously doubt it. The only way that would happen would be if a no strings pay deal was offered that brought us right up to date with salaries.

ComUtoR

Established Member
but often, strikes get called off when talks have been agreed as they are also a way to push negotiations.

dk1

Veteran Member
but often, strikes get called off when talks have been agreed as they are also a way to push negotiations.

RDG have proved themselves not to be trusted. Unless a concrete deal is on the table ASLEF will be very wary indeed.

Class 317

I seriously doubt it. The only way that would happen would be if a no strings pay deal was offered that brought us right up to date with salaries.
I don't see the current Government or Labour if they get in offering a no strings pay rise of that magnitude. Politically that would be to difficult.

Thirteen

Low no strings offers has been offered by non DfT controlled TOCs like ARL so it can be done.

DMckduck97

What have MP’s had over the last 3 years?
It's irrelevant in what OP is saying, nobody is getting 20% no strings whether MPs have have had rises or not.

20% would require a take what you want, implement what you want offer...

hello

It's irrelevant in what OP is saying, nobody is getting 20% no strings whether MPs have have had rises or not.

20% would require a take what you want, implement what you want offer...
I don’t think MP’s have had anywhere near 20% for 2022/23/24 I was just wandering what they have received in total for those 3 years

Class 317

Based on previous ASOS what sort of service is likely on Northern around Leeds and up the S & C on the Monday through to Wednesday?

On Moderation
I don’t think MP’s have had anywhere near 20% for 2022/23/24 I was just wandering what they have received in total for those 3 years
It's irrelevant. Why is there this constant obsession with comparing with MPs' salries? Jealousy?

urbophile

Established Member
I'm 100% behind ASLEF. But a bit worried because next Thursday 9 May I need to be in London to catch an 11.00 Eurostar. I'm booked on the 06.43 from Liverpool LS to Euston; as Avanti drivers will have been on strike the previous day what are the chances that this will run? Does anyone know how many, if any, cancellations there were the morning after the last strikes?

170UTD

I've got a trip booked between 2nd and 7th June. I'm aware it's not this strike period, but going of previous trends what are the chances of a strike? Especially as it's across the TT change. For the record, I support the unions.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I've got a trip booked between 2nd and 7th June. I'm aware it's not this strike period, but going of previous trends what are the chances of a strike? Especially as it's across the TT change. For the record, I support the unions.

It's really not possible to say. As has been mentioned, 14 days' notice will be given of any strike action.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm 100% behind ASLEF. But a bit worried because next Thursday 9 May I need to be in London to catch an 11.00 Eurostar. I'm booked on the 06.43 from Liverpool LS to Euston; as Avanti drivers will have been on strike the previous day what are the chances that this will run? Does anyone know how many, if any, cancellations there were the morning after the last strikes?

AlL the timetable changes are in for the strikes and that train is still planned to run as normal. With there being a rest day / overtime ban there’s a higher chance than normal of it being cancelled on the day, but that would be the same for any train.

urbophile

Established Member
AlL the timetable changes are in for the strikes and that train is still planned to run as normal. With there being a rest day / overtime ban there’s a higher chance than normal of it being cancelled on the day, but that would be the same for any train.
Thanks. That's reassuring (sort of!).

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Hopefully you have purchased a London CIV ticket, in which case Eurostar will have to accommodate you on the next service with capacity.

PinnerMet

I have an advance ticket Victoria - Barnham on an overtime ban day that has been cancelled.

No email or communication from Southern about this ticket or journey.

Can I use it on the preceding or following services 30 mins either side of the original ticket time?

Status
Not open for further replies.