• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asperger Syndrome, and other neuropsychological disorders...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is eating disorders. Many Asperger's sufferers have an eating disorder that leads to them refusing to eat 98% of foods. I live solely on a diet of weetabix, marmalade sandwiches, hula hoops, peanuts, toast, yoghurt, and the occasional chocolate bar. Does anybody else have anything like this?

I've gotta admit... Theres a lot of people that like I said, i've worked with, but they all seem to eat more or less anything!

A few of them can't stand yoghurt though... Dunno if it's that type of thing that your talking about...

BUT

A few books that I read for background reading on Aspergers... A lot of parents have apparently tried, and found with successful results that a change in diet - helps their kids a lot!!

Death

Established Member
A few books that I read for background reading on Aspergers... A lot of parents have apparently tried, and found with successful results that a change in diet - helps their kids a lot!!
[Death's AS and lack of understanding strikes again... :shock: ]

Although I presume that ye are referring to improvements in ones diet there, can I just double-check that "helps their kids a lot" refers to dietary improvements, or does it refer to improvements in people's overall behavior? :?:
(Back when I was a kid, I was placed on a strict "No E-Numbers" diet to try and reduce my hyperactive tendancies, and it seemed to work, from what little I can recall. :) )

Daniel

Established Member
Having been observing this thread for a while, oen thing I will say is that I am surprised by the amount of people on here with Aspergers Syndrome!
When it was first mentioned to me I was under the impression that it wasn't very common, seem to have mis-judged that one..!

mrcheek

Established Member
Having been observing this thread for a while, oen thing I will say is that I am surprised by the amount of people on here with Aspergers Syndrome!
When it was first mentioned to me I was under the impression that it wasn't very common, seem to have mis-judged that one..!

Its more common among rail enthusiasts. and computer users. So we dont exactly represent average people here....

Bayum

Established Member
[Death's AS and lack of understanding strikes again... :shock: ]

Although I presume that ye are referring to improvements in ones diet there, can I just double-check that "helps their kids a lot" refers to dietary improvements, or does it refer to improvements in people's overall behavior? :?:
(Back when I was a kid, I was placed on a strict "No E-Numbers" diet to try and reduce my hyperactive tendancies, and it seemed to work, from what little I can recall. :) )

It helps overall.

Behaviour, Learning, Mood etc etc

I guess it's down to the individual though as well... The results may not be the same in one child, as they are in another

43021HST

Established Member
I've gotta admit... Theres a lot of people that like I said, i've worked with, but they all seem to eat more or less anything!

A few of them can't stand yoghurt though... Dunno if it's that type of thing that your talking about...

BUT

Nope I eat anything and everything thats edible, I,m the least fussiest person with food ever except I wont eat raw cheese and coconut. I remember working on my Dads allotment and I kept munching on the peas.

monkey

...you people are crazy. coconuts great, used correctly, it can be sickly - but it great eaten the correct way. and raw cheese? eh? I :wub: cheese, I could never be vegan...

Death

Established Member
GWRtom (From the "LED TV" thread);351035 said:
the reason i have badspelling is, Dyslexia and aspurges syndrome
Dyslexia, maybe...But being an AS sufferer myself, I don't see how Asperger's affects spelling ability. Granted, my spelling isn't full-on proper Oxford English nowadays (One of my common errors being "probabally") but AFAIK my spelling, punctuation and capitalisation are normally of a clear and easy to follow standard for most people. 8)

I get the feeling though that if I tried typing posts very rapidly and didn't preview/proof-read them before submission, then my own text would have major errors all over it. This is why I take my time when posting! :idea:

43021HST

Established Member
Dyslexia, maybe...But being an AS sufferer myself, I don't see how Asperger's affects spelling ability. Granted, my spelling isn't full-on proper Oxford English nowadays (One of my common errors being "probabally") but AFAIK my spelling, punctuation and capitalisation are normally of a clear and easy to follow standard for most people. 8)

I get the feeling though that if I tried typing posts very rapidly and didn't preview/proof-read them before submission, then my own text would have major errors all over it. This is why I take my time when posting! :idea:

I used to be great at spelling but I just get worse now

When I was very young I was extremely apt at English and apt in some parts of maths. I could spell what others my age could only dream of. My spelling now is still very good but it isn't as much of a shocker because at my age now one would be expected to have a full ability in their mother tongue; it kinda plateaus at my age anyway. I struggle with maths nowadays and often exhibit number dyslexia, particularly with phone numbers. I will often miskey or just plain misread a string of numbers if they are in one long block which is why I take phone numbers down in a format like this: 0207 123 4567 otherwise, my mind may well throw in, subtract or change numbers for no apparent reason :D

Sometimes I still find myself losing people with my ways with words, I sometimes end up having to simplify my sentences, words like incandescent and colloquial don't always go down too well.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Sometimes I still find myself losing people with my ways with words, I sometimes end up having to simplify my sentences, words like incandescent and colloquial don't always go down too well.
I can sympathise with that: I was raised on a diet of books and a broad vocabulary, thanks to my mother. If I asked what a word she used meant she'd point to the dictionary and say "look it up!"

Death

Established Member
I can sympathise with that: I was raised on a diet of books and a broad vocabulary, thanks to my mother. If I asked what a word she used meant she'd point to the dictionary and say "look it up!"
Ditto here too...I've always had a wide vocabulary as I seem to have a natural habit of picking up "big" words at the drop of a hat. Although it's useful in conversations with the academically minded though, I do find that I often confuse a lot of "normal" people in conversation as I'm too inclined to use my knowlege of words to it's widest extent! :?

One vocabulary that I'm having a pig of a time getting to grips with though is a new one that's only been developed over the last ten years; The blight that is SMS shorthand. Although I'll tolerate it for messages produced on a typical 12-button mobile keypad, it really rubs me up the wrong way when people do it on the Internet, despite having a full QWERTY keyboard in front of them! :roll:<(

After all..."cn u cme 2 th stn 2 pck me up of th trn?" (Can you come to the station to pick me up off of the train?) is a bloody pain in the arse to read IMO, and to be honest I'd find it's equivalent in Base64 - Q2FuIHlvdSBjb21lIHRvIHRoZSBzdGF0aW9uIHRvIHBpY2sgbWUgdXAgb2ZmIG9mIHRoZSB0cmFpbj8= - Far easier to understand than the same message in "txt spk"... :shock::roll:

Old Timer

Established Member
It strikes me that several of you have some really good talent that really could be useful in the world.

Now if working in a "normal" job is a problem have you guys ever considered working for yourselves as freelances ?

I am sure there must be certain types of jobs that can easily be done without the issues you have described becoming a problem ?

Now more than ever Companies are looking to cut costs and will outsource as much as they feel they can.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ditto here too...I've always had a wide vocabulary as I seem to have a natural habit of picking up "big" words at the drop of a hat. Although it's useful in conversations with the academically minded though, I do find that I often confuse a lot of "normal" people in conversation as I'm too inclined to use my knowledge of words to it's widest extent! :?
Reminds me of when I said to someone that there were still some residual delays, he just went "heh" and walked off :lol:

mrcheek

Established Member
Ditto here too...I've always had a wide vocabulary as I seem to have a natural habit of picking up "big" words at the drop of a hat. Although it's useful in conversations with the academically minded though, I do find that I often confuse a lot of "normal" people in conversation as I'm too inclined to use my knowlege of words to it's widest extent! :?

I often get this as well. Ill use a long word because its the most appropriate to convey the meaning. Then theyll ask me to use a simpler, shorter word, and I cant think of one.

43021HST

Established Member

One vocabulary that I'm having a pig of a time getting to grips with though is a new one that's only been developed over the last ten years; The blight that is SMS shorthand. Although I'll tolerate it for messages produced on a typical 12-button mobile keypad, it really rubs me up the wrong way when people do it on the Internet, despite having a full QWERTY keyboard in front of them! :roll:<(

After all..."cn u cme 2 th stn 2 pck me up of th trn?" (Can you come to the station to pick me up off of the train?) is a bloody pain in the arse to read IMO, and to be honest I'd find it's equivalent in Base64 - Q2FuIHlvdSBjb21lIHRvIHRoZSBzdGF0aW9uIHRvIHBpY2sgbWUgdXAgb2ZmIG9mIHRoZSB0cmFpbj8= - Far easier to understand than the same message in "txt spk"... :shock::roll:

I pick up long words as ,well its frustrating because you cant talk to anyone in my school unless each word in the sentence has a maximum of two syllables. So you say a word like 'considerate' and you just get "huh stop speaking nerd talk".

Death

Established Member
It's their loss when they end up having to work minimum wage jobs their whole life.
Admittedly, I envy even people like that in one particular regard. I may be able to use phrases like "My local DOCSIS network really could do with a decent inspection" and "I love Linux, but I can't avoid thinking that xinetd is a potential security loophole"...But at the end of the day, those people are in full-time jobs, whereas I'm still long-term unemployed. :roll::?

The thing that buggers me up in a working environment isn't so much my ability to do the job, but more my inability in being able to work with and around others. That, and the fact that although I have some good skills in certain areas, I havn't any certification for those skills...I could fix the store server in my local McDonalds every day for a month, yet they'd still have me flipping burgers once the thing was up and running again... :sad:

43021HST

Established Member
reguarding employment troubles I,m not in proper work yet but at Mid Hants Railway which is the closest thing to work at the moment for me I have had no troubles, I get on with most people and dont mess up any tasks that have been set but I suppose its something that I want to do. Who knows what 'real work' holds for me in the future.

Admittedly, I envy even people like that in one particular regard. I may be able to use phrases like "My local DOCSIS network really could do with a decent inspection" and "I love Linux, but I can't avoid thinking that xinetd is a potential security loophole"...But at the end of the day, those people are in full-time jobs, whereas I'm still long-term unemployed. :roll::?

The thing that buggers me up in a working environment isn't so much my ability to do the job, but more my inability in being able to work with and around others. That, and the fact that although I have some good skills in certain areas, I havn't any certification for those skills...I could fix the store server in my local McDonalds every day for a month, yet they'd still have me flipping burgers once the thing was up and running again... :sad:

Such is life, ready to land you in a ****hole at every turn...

It's not that you never get what you want, I can deal with that, it's that so often it feels like life is literally shovelling **** in your face.

On the other hand, I sometimes DO get things that I want... so that statement isn't always true.

Status
Not open for further replies.