• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

3C-

I assume you’re Scotrail based on your location? Do you have a date for your interview? Also sat my level 1 assessments on Wednesday just passed and found out yesterday that I made the cut. We might even have been in on the same day if you’ve sat them recently.
Yeah same day. No interview date

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Samzino

Established Member
Are the trp 1 questions multi choice or written answer. Thanks and congrats

wood

The dials are similar in composition to the practice material (assuming your TOC sent you this?) only there’s 4 sections instead of 3. All have an arrow pointing at a number and you decide order of priority. It’s straight forward. Do the practice and you’ll breeze thjs.

The tones section is done in 3 parts, first is low and high tones, second is circling information on a “phone book” with no tones, third is a combination of the first two, minus the high tones.
Thank Pav really appreciate the users of this forum helping out. I got sent some information from the OPC, but I feel they throw slight curve balls lol.

To be quite honest I can’t fully recall details of the dials one but just recall it being straightforward. When you do the phone book and tones together there’s only one tone to listen out for.
Ah okay thank you for that. There is a software you can buy that helps with this I wonder if it's any good? I have heard a few people say something about a story being read out too before the one test does this ring a bell?

To be quite honest I can’t fully recall details of the dials one but just recall it being straightforward. When you do the phone book and tones together there’s only one tone to listen out for.
Ah okay thank you for that. There is a software you can buy that helps with this I wonder if it's any good?
Hi folks - I hope this is okay.

I personally have just gone through the first part of the tests. Passed.

I would just like to thank people who put forward what they did and what to roughly expect, as it’s fresh in my mind, I thought I’d give an account of what happened on my test day.

It was TEA - OCC, DOTS, TRP1&2

TEA - OCC - first test was 10 sets of beeps ( low tones are always first - count them ) use fingers

Then it was a phone book with symbols and names. Circle the ones with double symbols. I.e OO, XX,**

Third test was both tests combined Look through phonebook while counting beeps, and we did this 6 times.

This ^^ was very accurate to tests and sets you at a higher standard.

DOTS - 5 pages with 25 across and 16 down. I got 11 lines on 3 and 10 lines on 2.

TRP1&2 - Part 1, read a passage for 5 mins then you have 8 mins to answer 18 questions on it. You can write notes but they are taken away before test starts.

Part 2 - dials - you are presented with fictitious dials from a train cab and rules relating to their functioning. You are required to apply the rules to determine the order in which the dials should be checked. This is 43 questions 8mins - you will never complete this - so do not worry, plenty on here can attest to that. I answered 29 with the last being a guess as time ran out.

Hope this helps those in the future.
Everyone’s experience on these threads helped me, just thought I would collectively keep it together.

Now need to wait for my DMI and hopefully pass that and the next stage. Wish me luck ✌
Legend, all the best.
I have heard a few people say something about a story being read out too before the one test does this ring a bell?

Adzlib

Does anyone have any software for the ATAVT i know there are youtube vids but the software would be amazing if anyone has it and can PM me

wood

Can I ask what the itinerary was on the day? I'm preparing for

Group Bourdon
Tones and Phone Directory (Everyday Concentration)
Retaining info and the dials test (Trainability for Rules and Procedures)
The flashing photos (ATAVT)
2 hand coordination
WAFV and MMI short answers.

Are there Driver Fault Finding tests or situational judgement/personality tests?

I could really do with the help, thank you everyone.
usually have a email saying what
Yeah same day. No interview date
Was yours with OPC

Just found out i passed the computer assessments, so waiting to hear the outcome of the MMI. If i passed the paper and computer assessments but fail the Mmi, would i have to resit the whole thing? Or am i safe with the paper and computer assessments now?

3C-

Are my understandings of these incidents correct? Thanks

Overshoot - stop train past platform and misses doors for passengers to safely get off

Stop short - a train comes to a stand prior to the designated stopping point such that some carriages are not adjacent to the operational platform

Fail to call - missed station stop

Additional call - added station stop

TPWS intervention - Train Protection Warning System - prevents speeding at certain locations.

Fatality - animal/person struck.

SPAD - Signal passed at danger

SOYSPAD - ( starting on yellow ) spad - where the train started on a caution signal and the driver did not appreciate that the next signal would be at danger.

SAS SPAD ( start against signal ) spad - This type of SPAD can occur if when at a station the driver is inadvertently given an indication by station staff, or the guard, that platform duties are complete

Danny C

The paper tests are easier to practice and improve on, the computer tests aren't necessarily hard but seem to be where most who fail, fail.

There are hints and tips across the forum, but my advice would be to try and be relaxed for the concentration test with the square (your mind will play tricks if you stare intently), with the 2-hand test, use the practice screen going back and forth but not to the end so you can get used to the sensitivity (and the handles come off if you lift up, so dont do it!) And finally there's the perception test, don't just presume things are there, you don't have time to scan around the image but if you don't sit too close you may see more centrally rather than using peripheral vision.

Hope that makes sense, if not pm
I recall that there were approximately 20 images. It wasn’t easy. I focussed on making notes in my head of the 5 items you need to spot - to get an idea Google ATAVT on you tube to get an idea of how quick you need to be. I found this to be the second toughest one after the 2 hand coordination but that was just my experience - others have found the 2 hand coordination one a doddle from reading posts on here.

Which TOC are you going for as some require DFFT?

Got my assessment next week but came through late on short notice, been brushing up on various tests, but feel I will really struggle in the ATAVT hoping to get access to a laptop or library PC over the weekend, are there any good sites to look at to do some online testing?

Thanks for any help and good luck.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Overshoot - stop train past platform and misses doors for passengers to safely get off

Stop short - a train comes to a stand prior to the designated stopping point such that some carriages are not adjacent to the operational platform

TPWS intervention - Train Protection Warning System - prevents speeding at certain locations.

SOYSPAD - ( starting on yellow ) spad - where the train started on a caution signal and the driver did not appreciate that the next signal would be at danger.

SAS SPAD ( start against signal ) spad - This type of SPAD can occur if when at a station the driver is inadvertently given an indication by station staff, or the guard, that platform duties are complete

Essentially yes. I can't say I've heard of a SOYSPAD as it would just be a regular SPAD at the next signal.

ComUtoR

Established Member

Fundamentally correct but some technical details are missing. Probably some technical variances between TOCs

Why do you need this clarified for a recruitment thread ? Cheers in advance.

Essentially yes. I can't say I've heard of a SOYSPAD as it would just be a regular SPAD at the next signal.

SOY and SAS SPAD definitions have been around for years. When you start to go deeper into each incident you start getting more and more technical. SAS and SOY help with understanding underlying causes into why the Spas occured.

3C-

Fundamentally correct but some technical details are missing. Probably some technical variances between TOCs

Why do you need this clarified for a recruitment thread ? Cheers in advance.

SOY and SAS SPAD definitions have been around for years. When you start to go deeper into each incident you start getting more and more technical. SAS and SOY help with understanding underlying causes into why the Spas occured.
Was advised I may be asked of certain types of incidents and what do they mean in my DMI so just doing the homework.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Was advised I may be asked of certain types of incidents and what do they mean in my DMI so just doing the homework.
Cheers for the reply; always good to do your homework. Never heard of anything ike that mentioned in a DMI but each TOC has its own peculiarities. Good luck with the interview

lag1rich@gmail

Hi All, Can anyone tell me what the current Conductor assessments are please. I believe SCATT is still in and also heard that some tests have been replaced with others but I don’t know what as yet.

Cheers Rich.

luvlyjubly86

Not had mine yet. With them. Has anyone who has OPC shed some light on the telephone directory test.
The telephone directory one is the third part of the tea-occ
U listen to a recording of tones that u need to count while circling the double symbols next to names on a telephone directory looking page.

Stigy

Established Member

TPWS intervention is when the TPWS puts the brakes in without the driver making a brake application at the time (due to overspeed either toward a red signal, or a speed restriction)

TPWS activation is as above, but when the TPWS activates and applies the brakes even though the driver is braking at the time (not enough braking).

Obviously an activation is the lesser of two evils, but both would be safety of the line incidents and need reporting.

Pedantic I know, but it’s also Train Protection and Warning System.

To be honest though, for the benefit of a DMI etc, you really don’t need to know much of what you’ve asked about.

Definitely read up on things like non-technical skills, as these are essential really and you’ll get brownie points if you can at least describe some now doubt. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re asked what your understand of NTS is.

Last edited:

Samsanbor

Hi All, Can anyone tell me what the current Conductor assessments are please. I believe SCATT is still in and also heard that some tests have been replaced with others but I don’t know what as yet.

Cheers Rich.
SCAAT Test, RAAT Test, Situational Judgement Test. Some TOC still require to complete in addition a Math/Numerical Comprehension Test.
If successful to these will follow a Competency Based Interview.

Good luck!

klkl

Been practicing for my part 1 driver assessment which is very soon. Can anyone offer feedback?

Dots test - Average 9-10 lines per page (some pages more others less), with 3-5 errors total
Passage test - Good with answers but struggle to make enough notes in time
Dials test - Bought test from OPC with 17 questions and managed 9 in 2 mins with 100% accuracy
Tones test - Practice material is very limited. Used this page and tend to get an answer that's 1 or 2 away from the correct answer: https://editor.p5js.org/klkl/sketches/JuHnyreEY

Any advice or strategies would be very helpful. I have anxiety and a natural tendency to worry regardless of how well I do at something.

Glad someone has had use from the practice material I made :D

As a bit of background I wrote that tones test blind before I had my psychometrics. The one I wrote is far longer and more difficult (faster) than the OPC one I actually sat on the day. I didn’t think it was a bad guess of what the test would be like though so if you’re doing as well as that then I think you’ll be good for the actual tones test.

Dots - make sure you’re doing it on pen and paper as that’s the format on the day (I used the other sketch I made for that) This does mean you’re manually marking your own work though but I think its important for getting used to the motor control of doing it as you will be tested.

As someone else mentioned your number of lines is good but the accuracy needs improving IMO (just keep at it, regular daily testing is better than sitting there doing test after test).

TRP - You don’t need to make verbose notes, you do need to be able to pick out salient points (colours / contexts / situations / locations). Maybe sketches or a more graphical note taking style would help.

Dials is pretty straight forward there’s discussion on it here somewhere with examples but you seem covered there also.

— MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE —

If the assessment is away from home or at a hotel then book a room at that hotel and go the day before. Being (relatively) relaxed and without travel stress is worth a lot to your ability to complete these tasks. I avoided caffeine, took a wander around the city and had a relaxing hot bath the night before my assessments.

The other candidates on the day were telling me about their stressful journeys to the assessment centre and none of them made it past the paper tests. Of course this is anecdotal but I think the cost of a hotel room is worth it for giving yourself the best chance of succeeding.

Finally some advice given to me, as much as you can, treat it as an experience. Turn up, do what you can, and if it works out great, if not then you’ve had insight into the process and a ’fun’ day away from usual routine.

Fazai

Hi guys!

I know there is a plethora of information on here! But if anyone could help me out with the following questions, I'd be eternally grateful!

1) If you have sat the MMI/ CBI/ structured interview recently, what questions did you get? What was your overall experience?
2) Is the structured interview for Train Driver and Train Manager the same?
3) At there different variations of the Visual Search Exercise? Any tips you can give me?

I'm stressing out so bad. Any help is welcome!

Samzino

Established Member
Whilst one can understand Assessments may be daunting, there really won't be much good done stressing too much as it will set the mind in the wrong train of thought and thus affect performance.

As for your requests there are on the fourm many threads via search bar on these topics that have been extensively covered. For your VSE question as example:

VSE may yes have slight different variations in the frequency of how the track changes colours etc but it's all usually the same style and parts as it's been since it came out with at the end you having to multitask with two ongoing different tasks.

MMI and DMI differ in that, MMI if failed will cost you one of your two lives where as DMI won't. DMI for the most part is less formal imo than the MMI. Its a time to mainly sell your ability both as a potential driver but potential colleague to the managers who will be possibly working with you thru your career at said TOC and will want to make sure they're picking a person to a degree they can get along with.

Depending on the Managers you can read the mood and know how to ideally bounce off that energy. Some managers will go in depth, others will mainly be casual and you'll find you're having a full blown, full flowing chat with some laughs and jokes which isn't really always the case if at all with MMI.

Having done research in the TOC and its routes and traction etc are bonuses and can show the Managers you're proactive.

MMI imo is more formal, its structured however which means if you follow the STAR method and have enough examples to meet the questions then you'll imo pass it well if you're decently confident.

MMI I believe is also carried out by an OPC Invigilator or in the presence of one where as DMI is usually with a Driver Manager of said TOC.

A question of MMI style would be:
"Tell us about a time in which you had to concentrate for an extended period of time?"

This question is quite open as you could name almost anything but ideally of you're really on the ball you'd link an example that relates actually to what the main goal of high concentration in any driver job is required for, being Safety.

Best of luck and stop stressing Sir!

Fazai

Hi @Samzino, thanks so much for your detailed response!

I done a lot of research on this forum, and a lot of people have said that the MMI is difficult for example, your prepared examples could get rejected, they grill you on an uncomfortable interrogation level... so I am a little worried

Samzino

Established Member
Hi @Samzino, thanks so much for your detailed response!

I done a lot of research on this forum, and a lot of people have said that the MMI is difficult for example, your prepared examples could get rejected, they grill you on an uncomfortable interrogation level... so I am a little worried
They'll only get rejected if you can't back them or if you seem liked you've pluked them from thin air. Part of being a driver will be the ability to deal with high pressure this will be a good insight.

Fazai

They'll only get rejected if you can't back them or if you seem liked you've pluked them from thin air. Part of being a driver will be the ability to deal with high pressure this will be a good insight.
Cheers!

Samzino

Established Member
With group bourdon, are we required to circle or put a line thru the 4 dots? Probs irrelevant but just wondering, Thanks.

krisg92

Hello everyone! Hope all is well!

I'm new here just reaching out some advice/reassurance

Currently undergoing assessments with southeastern, it's been split into two parts at the moment due to timing I think on the day. I've done everything up to the VSE and MMI

I was looking to see if anyone could give any insight in regards to the MMI, what to expect? Any advice, tips etc. With the VSE I have some practice material from the TOC so just going through them

Is there anyone else going through the same process?

Thanks all!