• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hello, newbie here!

I’ve successfully passed my assessments and interview for a Hybrid Relief role and I have my medical tomorrow.

From what I’ve read on here it seems to consist of height, weight, BMI, hearing, eyesight, BP, D&A test, ECG, chat about general health/medical history.

I’m so excited to start the new job but also apprehensive about tomorrow, worried I could fall at the last hurdle!

How have most people generally found the medical? Also, do you find out on the day of you’ve met the requirements or is it a bit more waiting?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the forum.

The medical is straightforward, be aware that colourblindness would be an automatic fail on a railway medical dependent on role (I have no idea what a 'Hybrid Relief' is). Also the ECG might unearth some previously unknown heart problem if you've never had an ECG before. You should generally get an idea if you've passed or failed on the day although the D&A test might take a few days for the results to come back. The urine test would also check for diabetes as well as D&A.

Jas

I am wondering if anyone can help I need some details about the VSE & MMI should be coming up in the next few weeks and i just want to be prepared as much as possible.

ARenz

Does anyone know what tests SE will have you do for Stage 1 or will the assessment consist of all tests including the computer test.

krisg92

Thought SE did MMI part of the psychometric test separately to the paper and computer tests/ VSE
I'm undergoing my assessment, I'm due to sit the VSE then if all is well do the MMI

for southeastern?? dont they give practice vses to go over??
They do send out a booklet, however I imagine it differs slightly from the real thing. Just provides the correct technique required to pass I guess

RPMGM

Hi all,

This week i'm due to take my second and hopefully successful attempt at the driver psychometric testing.
Last time I took it was a couple of years ago and failed on the group Bourdon section, so I've been practicing on some printed out sheets at home that are 26 rows down and 25 across.
I can't remember how many cells were in the actual test last time, but with these sheets I'm managing between 7-9 lines with 0 errors.

Do you guys think this is enough to pass or do I need to keep working at my speed?

Thanks in advance!

Mattydo

Nobody really knows the pass mark, and to be honest I wouldn't get too hung up on it, depending on the TOC there may be an "enhanced" pass mark anyway. People have speculated that they passed with about 12 lines but I passed with Avanti and those scores were also acceptable to GTR and I don't recall if I got as many as 12 to be honest it could have been more it could have been less. Some say they got 15 and failed convinced they made no mistakes but I think the likelihood of that is low.

In the moment it's hard to recollect so I don't put much stock in what people say, and they are collected off you fairly quickly. I maintain that accuracy is most important here and so keep practicing but don't gain speed by sacrificing accuracy. The actual tests are quite spread out and the 4 dot patterns are less randomised than the prep material. Making it easier to recognise them.

Good luck!

cakefiend

The ATATV test (street images). Any advice on how I can improve my score?

Doing practice tests that are replicas of the real thing - they’re asking me to say if I saw a car/bike/pedestrian/road sign/traffic light. It’s the one on traineetraindriverinfo.com

I get poor scores no matter what. Time is set to 1.2s per image.

Could it be that their software is only counting each image where I got every element correct? Eg. There’s three things and I only tick two, so it doesn’t count. Or vice versa.

I’m told you get marks for each correct element but lose even more for each incorrect one. Is that right?

Any ideas what the pass mark is?

LoogaBarooga

That's the software I used and yeah you only get the point if you correctly identify every element in each picture.

I'm pretty sure on the day you get a cumulative score for every correct one you identify so it is easier. I would say the pictures used during the actual assessment are clearer so I found it a bit easier than the ones you're practicing on.

I don't know what the pass mark is unfortunately. I asked afterwards but they never told me.

I reckon during the actual test you get 1 second per image also so try it on that.

Let your eyes relax and look at the middle of the image. If you're eyes are darting about trying to find things that makes it harder imo.

That's the test I was most concerned about so I just did a little bit of practice every day and my score slowly started to improve.

Just stick with it and you'll be fine.

King8989

I took the assessment at the OPC and passed national standards but failed Arriva enhanced . Does that mean I only have one more chance with other train tocs at enhanced ? Or I have 2 chances and only 1 more chance with arriva? Also if I then failed again with arriva at enhanced does the mean I can longer apply for other tocs ever again . If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. I’m getting conflicting information and know one seems to be clear

baz962

Established Member
AIUI you get two attempts at national and two at enhanced. If you fail to enhanced you have only one left at enhanced. If you fail to national then you only have one left at national. If you fail to enhanced but pass to national then you have one enhanced go left but still a national pass . If you pass to national and then have another go at national and the pass isn't even high enough for standard, it overwrites your national pass too.

King8989

AIUI you get two attempts at national and two at enhanced. If you fail to enhanced you have only one left at enhanced. If you fail to national then you only have one left at national. If you fail to enhanced but pass to national then you have one enhanced go left but still a national pass . If you pass to national and then have another go at national and the pass isn't even high enough for standard, it overwrites your national pass too.
So I only have 1 more attempt at enhanced with any toc ? And 2 chances national even though I passed already . I thought as I failed enhanced with arriva id only have 1 chance with them and 2 chances everywhere as I’d assume different tocs enhanced standards will be different from each other ?

baz962

Established Member
So I only have 1 more attempt at enhanced with any toc ? And 2 chances national even though I passed already . I thought as I failed enhanced with arriva id only have 1 chance with them and 2 chances everywhere as I’d assume different tocs enhanced standards will be different from each other ?
That's where it gets a bit confusing. Yes you might have passed enhanced to a company that requires lower pass marks , but I believe that if that was the case, then you wouldn't need to redo the testing and would go straight to interview

cakefiend

That's the software I used and yeah you only get the point if you correctly identify every element in each picture.

I'm pretty sure on the day you get a cumulative score for every correct one you identify so it is easier. I would say the pictures used during the actual assessment are clearer so I found it a bit easier than the ones you're practicing on.

I don't know what the pass mark is unfortunately. I asked afterwards but they never told me.

I reckon during the actual test you get 1 second per image also so try it on that.

Let your eyes relax and look at the middle of the image. If you're eyes are darting about trying to find things that makes it harder imo.

That's the test I was most concerned about so I just did a little bit of practice every day and my score slowly started to improve.

Just stick with it and you'll be fine.
Thanks, that’s a a bit of a relief.

King8989

That's where it gets a bit confusing. Yes you might have passed enhanced to a company that requires lower pass marks , but I believe that if that was the case, then you wouldn't need to redo the testing and would go straight to interview
I failed enhanced , passed national . So I know I can only do 1 more attempt with arriva as that will be my second chance. But if I tryed another toc I will still only get 1 attempt or 2 at enhanced is what I need to find out

baz962

Established Member
I failed enhanced , passed national . So I know I can only do 1 more attempt with arriva as that will be my second chance. But if I tryed another toc I will still only get 1 attempt or 2 at enhanced is what I need to find out
Pretty much one unless the toc has a lower enhanced than Arriva

Violeta-V

Hi all,

I did my Assessments few weeks ago and I failed on DFFT, by any chance is someone here who has some practice material similar with the actual test?
I want to apply again but I need to make sure I pass this time.
Thank you for your time.

RyanC87

No, the Dials is a different one. This is the Fault Finding...where you have to prioritize some faults in the panel train over others.
You have to put down the Fault Code as well.
Ah OK. I didn't do that. At least I don't remember it

Samzino

Established Member
DFTT is pretty straightforward compared to the other option imo of VSE. In the case of practice I think the traineetraindriver website has practice tho the pack practice should be sufficient.

Violeta-V

DFTT is pretty straightforward compared to the other option imo of VSE. In the case of practice I think the traineetraindriver website has practice tho the pack practice should be sufficient.
Thank you. I will check that.

Eager girl

I personally found the practice materials from the TOC and OPC to be easier than the actual test. All I can say is that I needed to do multi-level checks where I had to run to and from different sheets and ensure I came back to the right train code through all the steps. There was some brilliant past advice on here to cover up other train codes whilst you move between sheets to always ensure you always come back to the correct train - I read that but still erred because I didn’t follow that advice, however, I still managed to scrape through. I would suggest you strongly follow that advice but also practice the more complex sample tests. Keep calm on the day because you know you have done your preparation.

Violeta-V

I personally found the practice materials from the TOC and OPC to be easier than the actual test. All I can say is that I needed to do multi-level checks where I had to run to and from different sheets and ensure I came back to the right train code through all the steps. There was some brilliant past advice on here to cover up other train codes whilst you move between sheets to always ensure you always come back to the correct train - I read that but still erred because I didn’t follow that advice, however, I still managed to scrape through. I would suggest you strongly follow that advice but also practice the more complex sample tests. Keep calm on the day because you know you have done your preparation.
Thank you for your advice.☺️