• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Choochoo2022

Can I ask what the itinerary was on the day? I'm preparing for

Group Bourdon
Tones and Phone Directory (Everyday Concentration)
Retaining info and the dials test (Trainability for Rules and Procedures)
The flashing photos (ATAVT)
2 hand coordination
WAFV and MMI short answers.

Are there Driver Fault Finding tests or situational judgement/personality tests?

I could really do with the help, thank you everyone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrFord

For who?

I've recently been to an "All day one"

Last edited:

Cassy j

Hi All,

I have a upcoming rVce test for TFL coming up which I believe is where you listen to a recording, write down notes and then record back the key information.

I am struggling to find practice material. The OPC website does not have much either.

Railway Verbal Communication Exercises (rVce) Book and Audio CD: 1 (Testing Series) is no longer available to purchase?

I was wondering if there was any additional recordings that I could listen to or passages that I could read and record to replicate the test.

Thank you all.

Newapplicant

I'm just wondering how I should be practising?

How2Become's Group Bourdon practice software only allows keyboard..
If you download the group bourdon tool from this forum it will give you the option to print so you can practise using paper which is what the test is based on.

From memory, it's 5 pieces of paper that are attached and you move from one to another after 1 minute. Safe to say that by the end of it all you can see is those bloody dots!

Best of luck with your assessment.

incognito

Hi,

In just wondering if you failed one of the computer tests and they let you take it again in 6 months. Do you still have to go through the application process again or do you just email them for a slot?

I failed the grey box that sometimes turns black test. I actually do not believe I failed it as I immediately hit the button on every box and a guy sat next to me (who passed) was in sync with me, when I hit it first he would then hit it! So I knew I had hit it right as he would hit it straight after me. I have no idea how I could have failed that test as I missed nothing and my reaction was fast. It seems you cannot argue this. But I did feel that maybe the equipment must be faulty. Maybe intermittently.

I will go back in 6 months and do it again but this time I will request that a human monitors my test.

elle1630

Hi,

In just wondering if you failed one of the computer tests and they let you take it again in 6 months. Do you still have to go through the application process again or do you just email them for a slot?

I failed the grey box that sometimes turns black test. I actually do not believe I failed it as I immediately hit the button on every box and a guy sat next to me (who passed) was in sync with me, when I hit it first he would then hit it! So I knew I had hit it right as he would hit it straight after me. I have no idea how I could have failed that test as I missed nothing and my reaction was fast. It seems you cannot argue this. But I did feel that maybe the equipment must be faulty. Maybe intermittently.

I will go back in 6 months and do it again but this time I will request that a human monitors my test.
I had this too in mine, I wasn't whacking the green button like everyone else, and I wonder if you really have to hit it

I was told to email the toc recruitment guy and they would get me back for the one test for the wavf and then my MMI as long as I pass. Just have to wait the 6 months

incognito

I had this too in mine, I wasn't whacking the green button like everyone else, and I wonder if you really have to hit it

I was told to email the toc recruitment guy and they would get me back for the one test for the wavf and then my MMI as long as I pass. Just have to wait the 6 months
I will be honest I felt robbed. I was hitting the green button just as hard as everybody else. I 100% hit every black square immediately.plus guy next to me was synced with me. I'd hit first and he'd hit just after me. He passed. Really doesn't make sense to me. Oh well 6 months wait. I hope I don't have to get through another sift.

TheBigCat

Hi, I recently applied for the SWR Metro Guard position. I had to complete a customer service quiz, and then it said they had invited me to take the numerical assessment. I actually timed out completing this assessment as the time limit was very short and then that was it. I was expecting another assessment but it just said "You have taken your assessment. Thank you." Does this mean I have failed, or are there only two assessments? I'm so confused, appreciate all advice.

Tevion539

The numerical test isn't designed to be finished in time - at least that is my understanding. You are required to answer the questions in a timely manner, sure, but they're looking for consistency and accuracy over anything else. Swr will be in contact with you shortly. If you do not hear anything and are concerned, pop recruitment an email.

I had to turn down a position for commercial guard after starting with TfW.

Last edited:

Terry87

I'm just wondering how I should be practising?

How2Become's Group Bourdon practice software only allows keyboard..
I wouldn't recommend How2become at all. Their tests weren't that similar to reality. The only one I found you could practice for was the dots test and you can find that for free on the forum.

CROSSY

Hey,

Last Wednesday past my assessment for SWR Gateline assistant in Southampton and they said they will be in contact with an interview date and time. Some people on the day for other stations got a date and time there and then.

Any rough ideas of when I could potentially receive a date? Been thinking of emailing but don't wanna come across inpatient.

Thanks!

Ij91

Hi All,

I am currently nearing the end of my application into a Depot Driver position, with the medical being the next step.

I know a forum probably isn't the best place for a definitive answer, but, can anybody advise if taking Bisoprolol (Beta blocker) as a medication would mean a fail on the Medical? Are there any other drivers out there that currently take Bisoprolol without an issue?

I suffer no side effects from the medication and it is taken in small doses just to slow the heart rate a little.

Thanks

Gws26

Hi all
I have my psychometric test next week.
Does anyone have any advice on where to get some good practice materials.
Have been practicing in the booklet I recieved but do not want to keep going over the same tests again and again have looked online and there seems to be some you can pay for is this worth doing or am I wasting money.
Also any tips for the day
Thanks for any help

LCC106

Established Member
Have a look in the careers section. There is a sticky thread. Personally I wouldn’t waste money on practice material, just explore the thread.

GalaxyDog

Anyone got any idea of the pass rate on these please? Offered 40questions in 10mins, finished 26 and am pretty sure accurately did them all, but am wondering if I completed enough in time to pass. Thanks

Fat Pav

Does anyone have a rough idea as to what might be seen as an acceptable level of omissions (read: mistakes) on the Group Bourdon test? I’ve been practising for a few days now and doing this on paper, 2 minutes per block and making anywhere between 2-5 mistakes average overall (one night I was missing 8 but I’ve just finished a long shift). Getting around 8-10 lines at present.

Getting disheartened by it, struggling to prepare when juggling shifts and home life too.

Adzlib

Does anyone have a rough idea as to what might be seen as an acceptable level of omissions (read: mistakes) on the Group Bourdon test? I’ve been practising for a few days now and doing this on paper, 2 minutes per block and making anywhere between 2-5 mistakes average overall (one night I was missing 8 but I’ve just finished a long shift). Getting around 8-10 lines at present.

Getting disheartened by it, struggling to prepare when juggling shifts and home life too.
When I practised I was struggling with 6 lines and lots of mistakes.
All I did was download the online tool from the forum, learn to recognise the shapes as oppose to counting and just spend an hour a day practising.
Once your happy print them out and practise it by hand as that's how the test is.
I was at around 12 with pretty much no mistakes. If you put the time in your brain will pick up the patterns. After all the practise I found it the easiest of the tests.
As long as your at 10 lines I think that's around the pass. Don't worry about the numbers just get to a point where your at your limit when you practise.
There's always enough time in the day if you want it bad enough

hux385

Hey all, I've been deliberating applying to some jobs in the railway for the last little while. One issue for me is that I had a period of mental illness a couple of years back, and I'm still on antidepressants at the moment. Do you think this would hinder my chances of being able to take on a safety critical role? The meds don't seem to make me tired, so I personally feel I would be OK, but I was wondering if there would be any rules that would stop me?

I am pretty open minded, so if a safety critical role is not possible for me then I'll simply find something else to do! Any advice would be much appreciated :)

cakefiend

Been practicing for my part 1 driver assessment which is very soon. Can anyone offer feedback?

Dots test - Average 9-10 lines per page (some pages more others less), with 3-5 errors total
Passage test - Good with answers but struggle to make enough notes in time
Dials test - Bought test from OPC with 17 questions and managed 9 in 2 mins with 100% accuracy
Tones test - Practice material is very limited. Used this page and tend to get an answer that's 1 or 2 away from the correct answer: https://editor.p5js.org/klkl/sketches/JuHnyreEY

Any advice or strategies would be very helpful. I have anxiety and a natural tendency to worry regardless of how well I do at something.

wood

Hi All,

I am currently nearing the end of my application into a Depot Driver position, with the medical being the next step.

I know a forum probably isn't the best place for a definitive answer, but, can anybody advise if taking Bisoprolol (Beta blocker) as a medication would mean a fail on the Medical? Are there any other drivers out there that currently take Bisoprolol without an issue?

I suffer no side effects from the medication and it is taken in small doses just to slow the heart rate a little.

Thanks
Are you taking this for heart condition, doesn't cause drowsiness as far as I know however don't know what they would say about hear condition of it is related to this.

Im applying to TOC can you give any advice

Eager girl

Been practicing for my part 1 driver assessment which is very soon. Can anyone offer feedback?

Dots test - Average 9-10 lines per page (some pages more others less), with 3-5 errors total
Passage test - Good with answers but struggle to make enough notes in time
Dials test - Bought test from OPC with 17 questions and managed 9 in 2 mins with 100% accuracy
Tones test - Practice material is very limited. Used this page and tend to get an answer that's 1 or 2 away from the correct answer: https://editor.p5js.org/klkl/sketches/JuHnyreEY

Any advice or strategies would be very helpful. I have anxiety and a natural tendency to worry regardless of how well I do at something.
For the dots test try and increase your accuracy - 10 lines will be fine but definitely get the accuracy up. When I started practicing I did have errors but kept going till I had at least 10 lines with 100% accuracy and got through. Practice really does help with this one. For the tones also practice till you get it right. The tough one is the ATAVT so practice hard on that one.

wood

For the dots test try and increase your accuracy - 10 lines will be fine but definitely get the accuracy up. When I started practicing I did have errors but kept going till I had at least 10 lines with 100% accuracy and got through. Practice really does help with this one. For the tones also practice till you get it right. The tough one is the ATAVT so practice hard on that one.

Hi thank you for the input.

Just had a couple of Questions:

Regarding the dials test did it include cables attached to the dials?

In the Tone test part 3 where you have to do the combination of telephone did have both high and low tones or just low tones?

Appreciate your help.

Eager girl

To be quite honest I can’t fully recall details of the dials one but just recall it being straightforward. When you do the phone book and tones together there’s only one tone to listen out for.

Fat Pav

Hi thank you for the input.

Just had a couple of Questions:

Regarding the dials test did it include cables attached to the dials?

In the Tone test part 3 where you have to do the combination of telephone did have both high and low tones or just low tones?

Appreciate your help.
The dials are similar in composition to the practice material (assuming your TOC sent you this?) only there’s 4 sections instead of 3. All have an arrow pointing at a number and you decide order of priority. It’s straight forward. Do the practice and you’ll breeze thjs.

The tones section is done in 3 parts, first is low and high tones, second is circling information on a “phone book” with no tones, third is a combination of the first two, minus the high tones.

3C-

Hi folks - I hope this is okay.

I personally have just gone through the first part of the tests. Passed.

I would just like to thank people who put forward what they did and what to roughly expect, as it’s fresh in my mind, I thought I’d give an account of what happened on my test day.

It was TEA - OCC, DOTS, TRP1&2

TEA - OCC - first test was 10 sets of beeps ( low tones are always first - count them ) use fingers

Then it was a phone book with symbols and names. Circle the ones with double symbols. I.e OO, XX,**

Third test was both tests combined Look through phonebook while counting beeps, and we did this 6 times.

This ^^ was very accurate to tests and sets you at a higher standard.

DOTS - 5 pages with 25 across and 16 down. I got 11 lines on 3 and 10 lines on 2.

TRP1&2 - Part 1, read a passage for 5 mins then you have 8 mins to answer 18 questions on it. You can write notes but they are taken away before test starts.

Part 2 - dials - you are presented with fictitious dials from a train cab and rules relating to their functioning. You are required to apply the rules to determine the order in which the dials should be checked. This is 43 questions 8mins - you will never complete this - so do not worry, plenty on here can attest to that. I answered 29 with the last being a guess as time ran out.

Hope this helps those in the future.
Everyone’s experience on these threads helped me, just thought I would collectively keep it together.

Now need to wait for my DMI and hopefully pass that and the next stage. Wish me luck ✌

Fat Pav

I assume you’re Scotrail based on your location? Do you have a date for your interview? Also sat my level 1 assessments on Wednesday just passed and found out yesterday that I made the cut. We might even have been in on the same day if you’ve sat them recently.