• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Trackman2

When applying for a train driver position. As part of the medical check up, do they request access to or copies of medical records? Or are assesments done on the day, e.g. heart, blood pressure check, mobility. etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
When applying for a train driver position. As part of the medical check up, do they request access to or copies of medical records? Or are assesments done on the day, e.g. heart, blood pressure check, mobility. etc.

No, they’ll ask you if you have any conditions current or previous. All assessments are done on the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

vargas1995

Hi all. I have a DMI coming up with Southeastern for Tonbridge depot. Does anyone know the situation for parking near by? Every road seems to be permit only. TIA
Morning mate,

How did your DMI go? Any tips on how to handle the day?

Hope everything went well for you!

Kind regard

Trackman2

I have had visits to my GP and over emphasised conditions for anxiety and mobility issues etc as required to make a claim.

However, it is nothing significant or current. I am planning to declare it but would any history of mobility issues be an instant rejection? Mobility issues normally due to Injury and lifting heavy objects rather than a long term disability.

This is on traindriver.org website:
You must have no history of blackouts, epilepsy (since the age of five), sudden loss of balance, co-ordination or any significant limitation of mobility

This is on legislation.gov website:
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
1.—(1) Drivers must not be suffering from any medical conditions or be taking any medication, drugs or substances which are likely to cause—

(a)a sudden loss of consciousness,
(b)a reduction in attention or concentration,
(c)sudden incapacity,
(d)a loss of balance or coordination,
(e)significant limitation of mobility.

this implies present conditions.

Efini92

Established Member
They’ll assess your mobility on the day, I wouldn’t worry. We all get injured from time to time.

Samsanbor

Yeh I think I might’ve failed the last time by selecting answers ‘just incase’ but don’t know for definite. I know I selected ones without being certain I actually saw them.
It's right there where you failed.
You can't simply select answers you're not sure but "just in case", because you will get negative marks for everything you click that wasn't in the scenario.
As someone else already said, only choose what you actually saw and you will be fine.
Good luck for your next attempt

1867Blue

They’ll assess your mobility on the day, I wouldn’t worry. We all get injured from time to time.

everyone applying to be a driver worries about the medical. I wish they could see some of the train drivers I’ve witnessed in my time. There would be no worrying whatsoever.

Harvinder

Has anyone been to Medigold clinic in Harrow? How is the medical for a train driver at Medigold like?

Lanypauk

Wondered if anyone could clarify the following for the perception test:

• Do signs with street names on them count as road signs?
  • Does the post with a ‘green man’ on it count as a traffic light?
  • Are you timed when answering questions for the perception test?
Thank you

Twotwo

Wondered if anyone could clarify the following for the perception test:

• Do signs with street names on them count as road signs?
  • Does the post with a ‘green man’ on it count as a traffic light?
  • Are you timed when answering questions for the perception test?
Thank you

I think you're reading way too much into it. Everything is explained on the day. It's the same options on each picture, just gotta press the ones you sow. From what I can remember was nothing confusing like what your mentioning...

Lanypauk

I think you're reading way too much into it. Everything is explained on the day. It's the same options on each picture, just gotta press the ones you sow. From what I can remember was nothing confusing like what your mentioning...
I’ve sat the computerised tests previously and due to resit soon and the perception test was the one I failed. I’m looking for clarification because training material I’m using is saying those things come under road signs/traffic lights etc when I wouldn’t have thought that and unsure if the actual test would too. I probably am reading into it too much but because it’s my last chance

TacoTraveller

I’ve sat the computerised tests previously and due to resit soon and the perception test was the one I failed. I’m looking for clarification because training material I’m using is saying those things come under road signs/traffic lights etc when I wouldn’t have thought that and unsure if the actual test would too. I probably am reading into it too much but because it’s my last chance
Street names aren't road signs, they're street names. Road signs are basically what's available in the highway code - one way sign for example.

I don't know what you mean by a post with a green man on it, you're thinking too deeply. If you see a traffic light then you tick the box.

I don't remember being timed on mine but the whole testing is based around speed and accuracy so I wouldn't take too long answering.

The best and basically only tip you need is to only put down what you see. If you "think" you saw something but aren't sure, don't put it down.

It's really not a hard test and everything is explained to you on the day, can't remember if you even get a practice beforehand also.

Samsanbor

Street names aren't road signs, they're street names. Road signs are basically what's available in the highway code - one way sign for example.

I don't know what you mean by a post with a green man on it, you're thinking too deeply. If you see a traffic light then you tick the box.

I don't remember being timed on mine but the whole testing is based around speed and accuracy so I wouldn't take too long answering.

The best and basically only tip you need is to only put down what you see. If you "think" you saw something but aren't sure, don't put it down.

It's really not a hard test and everything is explained to you on the day, can't remember if you even get a practice beforehand also.
This is wrong!!
Street names count as road signs, you will need to tick that box if saw one.

The "green man" on a post has to be ticked under "traffic lights".

There is not time limit to give the answers, however I can guarantee the more you dwell the more you are likely to make a mistake in choosing something that actually wasn't there.

Anyone taking these tests, read carefully those instructions!

Last edited:

TacoTraveller

This is wrong!!
Street names count as road signs, you will need to tick that box if saw one.

The "green man" on a post has to be ticked under "traffic lights".

There is not time limit to give the answers, however I can guarantee the more you dwell the more you are likely to make a mistake in choosing something that actually wasn't there.

Anyone taking these tests, read carefully those instructions!
I'm going off my experience, I didn't include any street names as they're not road signs as road signs are information easily accessible to a driver at the side or above a road.

The green man will only need to be ticked if attached to a traffic light, as it's not controlling traffic if stand alone and is just a pedestrian crossing otherwise.

This is what I took when I read the instructions and how I followed them and passed to Avanti's enhanced standard.

Each to their own if you disagree but I passed following the information I replied with.

Kauntrilla

Hi, I have a medical related question. I heard they check BMI level set out by NHS which is very stricket. I am around 85 kg and height is around 5'8". Will i be able to pass medical. Anyone has done medical recently? Thanks

cakefiend

I’ve got my second attempt at the computer assessments and MMI this week.

I never actually got to the MMI last time due to failing one of the computer tests.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to prepare for these?

Samzino

I’ve got my second attempt at the computer assessments and MMI this week.

I never actually got to the MMI last time due to failing one of the computer tests.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to prepare for these?

Chrysalis

I'm in a bit of a pickle and looking for some advice. I have previously passed all OPC assessments with a TOC in-house. Since then, I have passed a DMI with a second TOC, and they have kindly invited me to do the assessments next week, despite me explaining that I have already passed them. I have tried to reach out to them again, explaining that I have passed them, and asked them to double-check with the OPC once more, but no reply. Apart from trying to call the TOC and explain, is there anything I can do? I don't want to sit the assessments a second time and risk losing a life when I shouldn't need to, and also don't like the idea of me sitting the assessments when another candidate can have a go. Is there any use in contacting the OPC? For further clarification, my passes are still valid and the second TOC requires passes to a national standard, so the problem isn't that I need to reach enhanced standard.

Terry844

I'm in a bit of a pickle and looking for some advice. I have previously passed all OPC assessments with a TOC in-house. Since then, I have passed a DMI with a second TOC, and they have kindly invited me to do the assessments next week, despite me explaining that I have already passed them. I have tried to reach out to them again, explaining that I have passed them, and asked them to double-check with the OPC once more, but no reply. Apart from trying to call the TOC and explain, is there anything I can do? I don't want to sit the assessments a second time and risk losing a life when I shouldn't need to, and also don't like the idea of me sitting the assessments when another candidate can have a go. Is there any use in contacting the OPC? For further clarification, my passes are still valid and the second TOC requires passes to a national standard, so the problem isn't that I need to reach enhanced standard.
When I sat the assessments OPC checked people on the day, most was told if they could skip a test if they had already passed that particular test. There was one person that turned up and after being checked was told to go home as they did not need to sit the tests at all. If the tests are being run by the OPC ask the to check. The other issue could be down to have you passed the tests to the standard the second TOC is looking for.

ThomasBeckett

Hi all,

Just seeking a bit of advice.

I've been provisionally offered a Trainee Train Conductor role with a TOC - with a start date of the 13th of May (pending medical confirmation).

I had the medical two weeks ago - but haven't heard anything. Nurse at the medical said there should be no problems, and if I didn't hear from them, that means it is good news. The nurse also have me the green light to resign from my previous role, in preparation for this.

I emailed a week ago - and was told that they'd chase up the medical results.

What should I do? I was planning on maybe calling them to check where we're at in the process? Both me and my partner have resigned jobs and are relocating - but I am yet to receive the formal contract offer.

Any advice would be warmly received - thanks!

Ducatist4

OMG, to late now but I'd never resign until I had an offer in writing. How can a nurse possibly know how the rest of the recruitment process is going? It's likely they still had some checks to do, references and so on at the very least.

SCR

Yeah unfortunately this could be a tough lesson. You don't actually have a job until the contract is with you and start date confirmed. Not that I mean to worry you but any number of things can happen to push back a start date, the railway as I'm sure you know isn't very fast with recruitment.

That said I hope it works out for you. Maybe you can push back your end date with your current employer?

ThomasBeckett

I was told that passing the medical was the only part of the provisional offer. I got a really good feeling from the interview.

The employer contacted me with a start date of WC 13th of May (provisional on me passing the medical). They specifically mentioned this to me because they knew I had a notice period. So it seemed like they are keen for me to start.

I’ve had a medical with a separate TOC recently, and they sent me confirmation on the same day - along with a contract offer. I had to withdraw/resign from this - as we have to relocate to work for the other TOC.

In retrospect, I should have waited longer and perhaps started with the other TOC - but after they mentioned the course start date and my notice period, I assumed it was pretty straight forward after the medical?

Train_manager

I was told that passing the medical was the only part of the provisional offer. I got a really good feeling from the interview.

The employer contacted me with a start date of WC 13th of May (provisional on me passing the medical). They specifically mentioned this to me because they knew I had a notice period. So it seemed like they are keen for me to start.

I’ve had a medical with a separate TOC recently, and they sent me confirmation on the same day - along with a contract offer. I had to withdraw/resign from this - as we have to relocate to work for the other TOC.

In retrospect, I should have waited longer and perhaps started with the other TOC - but after they mentioned the course start date and my notice period, I assumed it was pretty straight forward after the medical?
So you gave up a job offer with a contract in hand? Really ?

And handed in your notice to??

warwickshire

On Moderation

Hope, it works out for you, however myself I would have took the other job offer especially as it was in writing, ie always take the first thing that comes,. along., a second chance might never come along again.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Just to confirm then:
  • You've done a medical for TOC A and you are meant to start 13th May - but have not heard back yet?
  • You've also separately done a medical for TOC B & had a contract but have withdrawn because you are relocating for TOC A?

Medicals very rarely go wrong, unless there is something completely hidden that you are unaware about. Most likely to go wrong on drugs and alcohol.

You emailed them a week ago - email them again on Monday and follow it up saying you need a clear answer soon. The most likely answer is that it has just been caught up in the system. Do you know who your line manager is meant to be? If you have a contact for them, they could try following it up as they are probably completely unaware of the issue as it is all sitting within HR/recruitment.

CrazyJ97

Hello everyone,

I have recently completed the online test for the trainee driver and was wondering where I find the score for the test as I have seen a few threads stating people’s results. What are the usual wait times until you find out if you have passed.

JustG

Hi all, I’m in a similar boat in that I was told 2 weeks ago that I would be on the training course beginning of June. They know I must give 4 weeks notice with my employer.

I was told I’d receive a letter for a medical, which I’ve not got yet. I phoned the TOC last week and verbally they said yes I’m definitely confirmed for the course. But could not send out the contract etc yet. I chased yesterday but it went to voicemail.

I’m at the point where I need to hand in my notice very soon, and I’ve not got anything in writing.

How long does this process take, can anyone advise?

mrrailway

Hi all,

Just seeking a bit of advice.

I've been provisionally offered a Trainee Train Conductor role with a TOC - with a start date of the 13th of May (pending medical confirmation).

I had the medical two weeks ago - but haven't heard anything. Nurse at the medical said there should be no problems, and if I didn't hear from them, that means it is good news. The nurse also have me the green light to resign from my previous role, in preparation for this.

I emailed a week ago - and was told that they'd chase up the medical results.

What should I do? I was planning on maybe calling them to check where we're at in the process? Both me and my partner have resigned jobs and are relocating - but I am yet to receive the formal contract offer.

Any advice would be warmly received - thanks!
Is this for Westmidland trains