• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATOC Priv cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Not sure who your employer is? If it's Northern you can get a TPE to Doncaster from Manchester for little over a £5 then travel free on Grand Central to Kings Cross. Bloomin' bargain.

So have Grand Central joined the priv scheme now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harz99

However, some PRIV fares are exceptionally good value, like Fort William to Glasgow at £6.85 single, a 3h 42m Journey!

Indeed. Another oft forgotten benefit is the ability to buy regional Rover tickets at Priv rates, I make good use of the North West/Country/East 4 in 8 dayers which work out at around £4.20 to £5.50 a day to travel huge areas.

Even better are the All Wales/North/South Rovers which also give bus travel for the whole 7/8 days over and above the days of rail travel.

I have a rule of thumb regarding "boxes", which is I only use them if my cost of travel is going to be at least £50, so typically use them for long Scotland/North to South journeys involving travel via London. At other times, as others have said, Advances/Megatrain/Priv Rovers and good old priv ADRs are the order of the day.

scrapy

Established Member
So have Grand Central joined the priv scheme now?

Grand Central still not part of atoc scheme, however there was an agreement with Northern thatstaff could use each others services. The last official correspondence i saw was this is a trial which was due to end December 2012. Since then there has been nothing (Northern as bad communicating with staff as passengers) but is generally accepted until we hear otherwise that the agreement continues.

142blue

On Moderation
I think a certain amount of free travel shoudl be granted to all rail employees on other operators services per year, even if you just apply for a days free travel pass for a certain day or series of days say someone who works for Northern could apply to allow their family to travel to/from Cornwall and to use trains there for a week.

However what I also think is missing is to incorporate those who work for LU, Croydon Tramlink, Supertram, NET, metrolink etc as part of ATOC so they can benefit from discount on rail services and rail staff can benefit from discounted light rail travel.

martybabes

I think a certain amount of free travel shoudl be granted to all rail employees on other operators services per year, even if you just apply for a days free travel pass for a certain day or series of days say someone who works for Northern could apply to allow their family to travel to/from Cornwall and to use trains there for a week.

However what I also think is missing is to incorporate those who work for LU, Croydon Tramlink, Supertram, NET, metrolink etc as part of ATOC so they can benefit from discount on rail services and rail staff can benefit from discounted light rail travel.

This raises the spectre of employee benefits.

If I work for HMRC, should I be excused from paying Income Tax?
If I work for a local authority, should I be excused from paying Council Tax?
If I work for TfL, should I be exempt from the congestion charge?
Do you see where I am going with this?

While I understand it is traditional for employees to be given some benefits in relation to their employers' services, is this not an outdated system that has no place in the modern world? Isn't it similar to tipping at restaurants? You pay as you go, and everyone pays the same.

Should a train driver receive a discount on train travel (for himself, his spouse, children, siblings, cousins, second cousins, multi-times removed cousins)? If a driver is considered OK for these benefits, what about the ticket collector, or the station announcer, or the people who work in the on-site, franchised catering facility?

If "benefits in kind" are generally acceptable, which trades or agencies should be deemed to be outside of the scope of this? Government employees, local government employees, Job Centre staff, bank tellers, Tesco staff, bus drivers?

If you think paying a gratuity to staff (aka tipping) is outdated and doesn't or shouldn't have a place in this modern world, what about travel/staff benefits?

Just a thought...

Disclaimer: this post is not intended to be trolling. It is to stimulate debate, and to prompt the thoughts and opinions on this subject from those who may wish to express a view.

455driver

Veteran Member
If "benefits in kind" are generally acceptable, which trades or agencies should be deemed to be outside of the scope of this? Government employees, local government employees, Job Centre staff, bank tellers, Tesco staff, bus drivers?
Like super markets that let their staff have their shopping at cost (or even free for perishable things that are about to be binned), banks/building societies giving their staff special rates on loans and mortgages,bus drivers and their families get free travel.

But of course railstaff should just be thankfull for a job.

Disclaimer: this post is not intended to be trolling. It is to stimulate debate, and to prompt the thoughts and opinions on this subject from those who may wish to express a view.

of course it isnt!

TG

second star on the right and straight on until mor
McDonald's staff get discounted food, ASDA staff get discounted shopping ect ect, so why shouldn't railway staff get discounted travel(?!)

i detect a hint of jealousy in your post, just saying!

fyi, staff travel facilities are available to ALL railway staff regardless of grade not just drivers!!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

There were certain grades of local authority employees who were excused from paying rates.

My friend still receives housing allowance from the Police authority in lieu of them providing accommodation.

I received a discount from Safeway when I worked there - as a single man at the time I could pass it on to my mother - she was most grateful.

Some industries give benefits some don't, but NB the free travel allowance on the railway was in part given in lieu of a pay rise.

hello

McDonald's staff get discounted food, ASDA staff get discounted shopping ect ect, so why shouldn't railway staff get discounted travel(?!)

fyi, staff travel facilities are available to ALL railway staff regardless of grade not just drivers!!

im sure mcdonalds staff dont get discount in burger king or kfc, just like im sure asda staff dont get discount in tesco, sainsburys or morrisons, so why should railway staff for one company, get discount on a totally differnt toc???????????:D:D

the sniper

Established Member
Those who work for car manufacturers get discounts on their products. I know someone who works in one of the car factory's, he got £4000+ off a brand new Executive saloon worth around £25000. He also had the option to hire said car for just a couple of hundred quid per month, with everything except fuel included. Plus they get a new one every six months.

I'd rather have the benefits of working for a car manufacturer than get a PRIV, that's for sure! :p

im sure mcdonalds staff dont get discount in burger king or kfc, just like im sure asda staff dont get discount in tesco, sainsburys or morrisons, so why should railway staff for one company, get discount on a totally differnt toc???????????:D:D

Do McDonalds staff normal sell KFC and Burger King products too? I sell almost as many tickets for journeys that include other TOCs as ones that are completed solely on my own TOC. This'll probably be the case for a lot of booking office staff too.

Last edited:

Silv1983

If I work for HMRC, should I be excused from paying Income Tax?
If I work for TfL, should I be exempt from the congestion charge?
Do you see where I am going with this?

While I understand it is traditional for employees to be given some benefits in relation to their employers' services, is this not an outdated system that has no place in the modern world? Isn't it similar to tipping at restaurants? You pay as you go, and everyone pays the same.

Should a train driver receive a discount on train travel (for himself, his spouse, children, siblings, cousins, second cousins, multi-times removed cousins)? If a driver is considered OK for these benefits, what about the ticket collector, or the station announcer, or the people who work in the on-site, franchised catering facility?

If you think paying a gratuity to staff (aka tipping) is outdated and doesn't or shouldn't have a place in this modern world, what about travel/staff benefits?

Just a thought...

A TOC, with its employees PROVIDE rail travel as a service. Rail employees still pay tax, some of which undoubtedly goes into subsidising the railways.
Local Authorities do not provide 'Council Tax' as a service, the TFL doesn't provide 'congestion charges' as a service. They're a means of income to pay for services they provide. So your comparison is slightly out of sync.

I believe one of the incentives for TOCs to provide cheaper travel for staff (by offering them anytime tickets - ie last minute- only so not to take up full fare paying spaces) is to have competent members of off-duty rail staff on board to assist in an emergency. If they had to pay full fares they'd probably just take the car anyway so there's no loss of income, only a loss of help.

Also, only the spouse and dependants under a certain age get the benefits - not the list you suggest. And im pretty sure ALL employees, not just drivers get it too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Grand Central still not part of atoc scheme, however there was an agreement with Northern thatstaff could use each others services. The last official correspondence i saw was this is a trial which was due to end December 2012. Since then there has been nothing (Northern as bad communicating with staff as passengers) but is generally accepted until we hear otherwise that the agreement continues.

Agreed - no news is good news. No changes in Franchise and Northern and GC still overlap a lot so there's a case for allowing shared travel still.

6Gman

Established Member
I can't get PRIV as I'm not a rail employee, however it seems far poorer than my Advances + Railcard!

Ah, but the best feature of my (safeguarded) PT facilities are that I can travel [very nearly] anytime, anywhere without prior notice.

455driver

Veteran Member

All TOC staff get travel concessions, NR staff get naff all, now that is criminal!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Do Manchester based Asda staff get the same benefits in Asda stores in Devon as they do in Manchester?

Do Manchester based McDonalds staff get the same benefits in McDonalds stores in Devon as they do in Manchester?

If so, would it not be right for Manchester based railway staff to get the same benefits on the railway in Devon as they do in Manchester?

I was/am protected staff status from London Underground/TfL.

As a retired employee I am entitled to free Underground and London Bus travel at any time and 75% off national rail fares along with the ability to take accompanied children for £1 rail travel for the TfL railway worker/retired staff is brilliant.

martybabes

No, not at all.

My own (former) employment has a range of benefits which are comparable in some respects to private industry. I am just genuinely interested in other peoples' views of benefits in kind, and the range of benefits available (contrary to what another correspondent implies [you know who you are!]).

AeroSpace

Employee benefits are a good thing because the employee tends to value them much more highly than the cost to the employer.

Staff travel is close to costless to the employer - not because of the fallacious argument that 'the trains are running anyway', but because most employees don't make anywhere near good use of their facilities. On the other hand, it is quite a valuable benefit to the employee.

This is economically sound as long as no third parties are affected - which is why priv travellers aren't allowed to use certain peak trains or reserve seats, and must 'stand back' to let the public on, etc.

I don't understand the connection to tipping. For a start, tipping is not part of a contract.

scrapy

Established Member
Mc Donalds staff do get discounts at several other high street businesses nationwide. Where they are part of a shopping centre or food court there are local agreements whereby they get discounts at other restaurants.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All TOC staff get travel concessions, NR staff get naff all, now that is criminal!

Not saying its right but by that reckoning, should road maintenance workers get discounted taxi and bus fares?

sarahj

Established Member
Its quite funny, when you join up you think ooo free travel on the company trains and 75% off other fares. :D

In reality.:( Very rarely do I use the trains on my days off. Last time I popped up to london was last october. We can use Southeastern and London Midland as well. Well i once tried out HS1 from Ashford to london. Never used LM, though I once looked up and found I could get to Liverpool in about 5 hours.

As for the priv. I've used it once or twice when up on holiday in northumberland to get from alnmouth to York and Newcastle, and once used it 4 years ago for a single to Newcastle from kings X to pick up a car. But as said, with a discount only off the full fare, you think, not worth it.

As for the wink and a nod. All it takes is one and your up the creek. I've known a FCC rpo, PF a southern employee using their service out of uniform

Some people are taking a bit too much notice of Government press releases.

Many different businesses, as shown in comments above, give privileges to their staff. Just because it doesn't suit Government wishes or political needs, doesn't mean that every working person has to give up those privileges. I have worked since I was 14, part time, and full time for the last 29 years. When I have wanted a better job, I have gone out and found one. But now, not only do I get paid too much, I have perks that upset people. I have worked very hard to get where I am today, thank-you. I am not breaking any laws. I have paid tax & National Insurance for all those years. But I apologise if the results of my hard work offends you.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No, not at all.

My own (former) employment has a range of benefits which are comparable in some respects to private industry. I am just genuinely interested in other peoples' views of benefits in kind, and the range of benefits available (contrary to what another correspondent implies [you know who you are!]).

Why should anyone care what someone else gets in terms of employee benefits?

I couldn't care less what people in other industries get (and many will get better benefits than me!)

My travel facilities and the arrangements my employer makes for me to travel for my work are an excellent perk of the job and I value them much more highly than my employer would begrudge paying for them. I don't feel that I need to justify to anyone else why my employer decides to grant me these benefits...

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Why should anyone care what someone else gets in terms of employee benefits?

There are a lot of enthusiasts who would love a Priv pass, especially the BR version! Mind you, when you work on the railway, especially if you are train crew, then you might be sick of the sight of bloody things and would rather do anything with your day off than spend it on a train!

JB25

As for the wink and a nod. All it takes is one and your up the creek. I've known a FCC rpo, PF a southern employee using their service out of uniform

FCC are a bit of a weird one to be honest. A few years ago before I started on the railway I had an argument with one of their RPOs and as it turned out I was actually in the right despite her insistence I should pay a PF. :lol:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
There are a lot of enthusiasts who would love a Priv pass, especially the BR version! Mind you, when you work on the railway, especially if you are train crew, then you might be sick of the sight of bloody things and would rather do anything with your day off than spend it on a train!

There are lots of NR employees who would like one, too!!:(

theageofthetra

On Moderation
If I got the job ( and its a big if!) With Southern that I am applying for would I get any discount on TFL services such as Croydon Tramlink? Also my daughter does not live with me so would she get anything? (She and my father would either use Southeastern or Southern which are of course part of Goahead)

Last edited:

JB25

If I got the job ( and its a big if!) With Southern that I am applying for would I get any discount on TFL services such as Croydon Tramlink? Also my daughter does not live with me so would she get anything? (She and my father would either use Southeastern or Southern which are of course part of Goahead)

I have never got a concession on Tramlink. I have heard whilst in uniform we can travel between West - East Croydon without a ticket, but I have never tried it to be honest.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I have never got a concession on Tramlink. I have heard whilst in uniform we can travel between West - East Croydon without a ticket, but I have never tried it to be honest.

All Priv holders can use Croydon Tramlink for free.

handsomelife

I've always wandered how PRIV works with certain TOC travel. E.G: A member of EMT/SWT travelling on Virgin, because Stagecoach own a hefty share of Virgin Trains so do Virgin staff tend to let them travel for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.