• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Attire for assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOCDriver

I finally attended stage two assessments yesterday and decided to wear a shirt and tie but not a full suit and was told straight away that the tie wasn't necessary as they wanted us to be as comfortable as possible and it was to be an 'informal' day. Two others turned up with no tie at all and also the assessor was just in an open necked shirt.

Ties went out of fashion a long time ago. A nice clean, pressed shirt and formal trousers will make you look smart but feel comfortable. Jeans a no no though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Ties went out of fashion a long time ago. A nice clean, pressed shirt and formal trousers will make you look smart but feel comfortable. Jeans a no no though

That is why as a qualified driver I have to wear a tie every day :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I finally attended stage two assessments yesterday and decided to wear a shirt and tie but not a full suit and was told straight away that the tie wasn't necessary as they wanted us to be as comfortable as possible and it was to be an 'informal' day. Two others turned up with no tie at all and also the assessor was just in an open necked shirt.

You can guarentee it was noted that you wore a tie!

Vicpaul

That is why as a qualified driver I have to wear a tie every day :roll:

You can guarentee it was noted that you wore a tie!

A lot of companies it's "optional" to wear a tie however I totally agree that it will be noted.

I attended my assessments and interview in full three piece first uniform tie and safety shoes. I'd advise any rail workers to do so.

MisterWhippy

For my FCC assessment this Friday it just says 'Please attend this session in smart dress - no casual clothing, jeans or trainers'.

Now, for evert interview I go to, I always were a full suit, is this basically saying just wear smart shoes, trousers, shirt and possible tie?

For my FCC assessment this Friday it just says 'Please attend this session in smart dress - no casual clothing, jeans or trainers'.

Now, for evert interview I go to, I always were a full suit, is this basically saying just wear smart shoes, trousers, shirt and possible tie?

Yes that's how I took it and although in the end I decided to wear a tie (not a full suit though) there were others in just smart shirt and trousers. These safety tests are quite stressful so they want you to be as relaxed as possible.

TDK

Established Member
Yes that's how I took it and although in the end I decided to wear a tie (not a full suit though) there were others in just smart shirt and trousers. These safety tests are quite stressful so they want you to be as relaxed as possible.

This is true but all you potential candidates need to remember you are being assessed as soon as you get on the compaies train if travelling by train ans most certainly being assessed as soon as you walk throgh the door. To be blunt if you were wearing a tie and scored 70 points on the assessments/interviw and was wearing a tie intitially and another candidate scored the same mark without a tie on the job will go to the smatest candidate! OK, you may thing that this is wrong but with so many applicants anything you do to give you the edge over the competition (and it is competition) will benefit you, even folks on here advising people to do things that will give THEM the edge ;)

Red18

If you think about it..

a: the TOC wants you to be comfortable at the assessment
b: the company needs you to be comfortable at work
c: the company policy is that all drivers wear a tie for work

So if I was the TOC I would assume that somebody who chooses to wear a tie for the assessment is comfortable wearing a tie and so will be comfortable wearing a tie when at work.
If someone chooses not to wear a tie for the assessment because it makes them feel uncomfortable then I wonder how they will feel wearing a tie when driving my train.

Mmm. I'll be wearing a tie.

TDK

Established Member
If you think about it..

a: the TOC wants you to be comfortable at the assessment
b: the company needs you to be comfortable at work
c: the company policy is that all drivers wear a tie for work

So if I was the TOC I would assume that somebody who chooses to wear a tie for the assessment is comfortable wearing a tie and so will be comfortable wearing a tie when at work.
If someone chooses not to wear a tie for the assessment because it makes them feel uncomfortable then I wonder how they will feel wearing a tie when driving my train.

Mmm. I'll be wearing a tie.

In a nutshell red

Red18

But what colour tie ?

Black - too dour
Yellow - too flamboyant
Paisley - maybe not
Red - Look at me, look at me
Green - why would you?
Blue - cold, not approachable
Cravat maybe - er maybe not
Pink - sales rep

This is too much. I'm going to have to get my wife to choose for me.
;)

Red18

Why not a bootlace tie to keep the western theme Red?

Western Theme?

<whooosh>
<ducks as comment goes over head>

ahh unless you mean Great Western of course?
Sorry being a bit slow there :)

TPA

Probably me being a bit too random and even inappropriate, new users huh?!
One think that did make me laugh earlier was a comment that said "suit and tie as a minimum"......what's the next stage beyond that, a bowler hat, an umbrella, a large overcoat, maybe even a dog..........? What would the maximum be?

455driver

Veteran Member

It is better to over dressed so they can note that you have made the effort.

edit-
The others beat me too it.

louis3552

Hi, I ve been invited to the assesment day in Crew for the position of Platform Customer Service Assistant at Preston, Can any1 help as i have no idear what to prepare and im starting to panic . hellllpppppppp
Hi, I ve been invited to the assesment day in Crew for the position of Platform Customer Service Assistant at Preston, Can any1 help as i have no idear what to prepare and im starting to panic . hellllpppppppp

TDK

Established Member

The best advice I can give is Don't panic, dress smart, jacket and tie, remember you are being assessed the minute you walk through the door.

When you are asked a question, listen carefully and ascertain what the interviewer is looking for for instance, they may ask you if you have been in a situation where you have had to deal with a violent or awkward customer!

Think about the question and then answer it to the best of your ability, if you have never dealt with a violent customer tell them that and then ask them if they want you to explain if you was confronted with a violent customer what you would do!

See no reason to panic, listen to the question and if you have never experienced a scenario they are asking then they will want to know what you would do in such a situation! Good luck and chill

louis3552

thanks,
these questions will be in the one to one interview?? do u know what other tests and what sort of group exercises will be..much appriciated!

lordturns

I went to the FGW assessment day on 2nd May Thursday this week and was immaculately dressed and polished - there were many candidates in jeans and an open neck casual shirt and shoes....I wonder if the assessor from FGW made a mental note of them.

TDK

Established Member
I went to the FGW assessment day on 2nd May Thursday this week and was immaculately dressed and polished - there were many candidates in jeans and an open neck casual shirt and shoes....I wonder if the assessor from FGW made a mental note of them.

Of course they did. If they didn't they are not good assessors

lordturns

Thanks TDK - I have read many of your posts on here with interest. There was only one lady who was conducting the assessments, she did move around the room to help people out and collect papers after each test....so I hope she noticed!

Beveridges

Established Member
You are being assessed the whole day. For example, if you do something that the assessor does not like, at any point in the day from the second you walk through the door, the assessor can use that as evidence to fail you in the structured interview at the end.

Seriously

One person failed because he put his pencil down too slowly in the mech comprehension test when his time was up. Even though he passed the mech test and proceeded through the computer tests right to the SI at the end.. the assessor used that as evidence to fail him in the SI on the grounds of not following instructions on the mech test earlier on in the day!

They can also do you for nervousness. If you appear nervous while sitting any of the tests, or if you appear nervous in the SI, it gives them more bullets to fire at you in the SI. The SI is not just a set of questions, its the assessors personal opinion on whether you are suitable or not based on everything that has happened during the entire day.

Its better to act like a robot - i.e. don't say anything to anyone that you don't have to, don't show any signs of nervousness, sit the tests and follow all instructions 100%. Tell the assessor exactly what he wants to hear in the SI.

Last edited:
Plenty of talk on here about how a man should dress, but what about us females? should we wear trousers and a blouse or a skirt and a blouse. TDK what has been your experience with female's dress at assessments?;)

TDK

Established Member
Plenty of talk on here about how a man should dress, but what about us females? should we wear trousers and a blouse or a skirt and a blouse. TDK what has been your experience with female's dress at assessments?;)

Dress smart as if you were going to an interview. Make sure you have sensible shoes on for a start not realy high heels, a suit, or blouse, skirt or trousers, nothing too colourful. Take a look at what the companies uniform is like, base you descision on that. Where I work the ladies wear either trousers or a skirt so either is fine.

I have seen some extravagent (sp) dress before. One girl turned up with a rupert the bear jumper on and jeans, seriously :)
You are being assessed the whole day. For example, if you do something that the assessor does not like, at any point in the day from the second you walk through the door, the assessor can use that as evidence to fail you in the structured interview at the end.

Seriously

One person failed because he put his pencil down too slowly in the mech comprehension test when his time was up. Even though he passed the mech test and proceeded through the computer tests right to the SI at the end.. the assessor used that as evidence to fail him in the SI on the grounds of not following instructions on the mech test earlier on in the day!

They can also do you for nervousness. If you appear nervous while sitting any of the tests, or if you appear nervous in the SI, it gives them more bullets to fire at you in the SI. The SI is not just a set of questions, its the assessors personal opinion on whether you are suitable or not based on everything that has happened during the entire day.

Its better to act like a robot - i.e. don't say anything to anyone that you don't have to, don't show any signs of nervousness, sit the tests and follow all instructions 100%. Tell the assessor exactly what he wants to hear in the SI.

This is good advice but it is always good to see people interacting with each other so if someone does talk to you be polite and mingle, just be careful what you say as you do not know who the person is you are talking to ;)

Sipismum

I wore trousers, blouse and smart jacket. Heels but not outrageously high. By the way, yes i am female! :lol: It worked for me, I start training on 20th may.

daddy_badger

There's a way to behave, fiddling about with your phone whilst the assessor is giving instructions sure to get you a failure as well as bringing a half finished cup of tea whilst attempting the dtg. Turn your phone off and pocket it before you go to the assessment centre. AS for you females a smart suit will do, had 1 female on my stage 1 that looked rather sophisticated.

Last edited:

Vicpaul

Dress smart as if you were going to an interview. Make sure you have sensible shoes on for a start not realy high heels, a suit, or blouse, skirt or trousers, nothing too colourful. Take a look at what the companies uniform is like, base you descision on that. Where I work the ladies wear either trousers or a skirt so either is fine.

I have seen some extravagent (sp) dress before. One girl turned up with a rupert the bear jumper on and jeans, seriously :)

This is good advice but it is always good to see people interacting with each other so if someone does talk to you be polite and mingle, just be careful what you say as you do not know who the person is you are talking to ;)

A lass turn't up on our assessments in jeans and a tshirt, safe to say she was asked to leave.

Engage in conversation accordingly, they want that in fact I'm pretty sure in the initial spiel from southern it states to converse with other candidates. Phone off for the duration in my opinion.

Beveridges

Established Member
Of cause, talk back to other candidates if they talk to you, but its best to keep at to a minimum without being rude. The less you say, the less chance you have of tripping up and saying something that may give the assessor bullets to fire at you.

lordturns

Think I managed to remain po-faced throughout the 3 tests we did....although I had a good rapport going with another candidate next to me as we had a few little chats along with a few others when there was a brief lull between tests.

There was a girl sitting the tests and she was dressed in trousers and suit jacket....

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I cant believe anyone needs to ask what to wear for an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALWAYS smart, sober, sensible, plain coloured suit, plain coloured sensible, sober shirt with a tie that matches, shiny shoes, no stubble and a fresh hair cut.

I check everything. As TDK says you are being assessed at every point from the moment you enter a building till you are out of sight of the building.

The other thing that really drives me potty when interviewing is the answer to the question So Alan, what do you know about ABC railways then? A) urgh nothin really.

Do try and prepare!

TDK

Established Member
I cant believe anyone needs to ask what to wear for an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many questions on here that I just cannot understand why folks are asking them. I can almost immediately tell by someone questioning on this forum if they have a good chance of being sucessful or not and I watch and to be fair I am usually correct. I will never mention any names but to me it is blatantly obvois

Status
Not open for further replies.