• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Attire for assesment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally have spent many a year interviewing candidates for various roles and I can assure you I have also seen some sights. To be fair I know what to wear at an interview I just wanted to join in and see the responses I got. I certainly got some pm’s that I expected. I too would be wondering why someone really needs to ask what to wear at an interview. In relation to preparation I have already prepared a file with every bit of information I can find in relation to the TOC I have applied for. I have even traveled on there trains and spoke to what I hope will be my colleagues one day.:lol::lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
I personally have spent many a year interviewing candidates for various roles and I can assure you I have also seen some sights. To be fair I know what to wear at an interview I just wanted to join in and see the responses I got. I certainly got some pm’s that I expected. I too would be wondering why someone really needs to ask what to wear at an interview. In relation to preparation I have already prepared a file with every bit of information I can find in relation to the TOC I have applied for. I have even traveled on there trains and spoke to what I hope will be my colleagues one day.:lol::lol:

Certainly an excellent approach - it is a shame that many potential candidates want all the info handed to them on a plate. In iterview you will most likely be asked about the company and the stations served, the routes covered and the traction used are good examples to learn. One other thing that is an important factor regarding and TOC is their mission statement - this is an excellent document to quote at interview

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Also the company central themes or current buzzwords or phrases are useful to weave into an interview. The clever candidate works them in to a discussion about their strengths.

it also showed that they had bothered to research! Also beware the file approach. I have had candidates who obviously spent ages research the role and the company but they couldn't find what they wanted at the appropriate time.

I always prefer using the index card method.

lvaxb24

I cant believe anyone needs to ask what to wear for an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other thing that really drives me potty when interviewing is the answer to the question So Alan, what do you know about ABC railways then? A) urgh nothin really.

Oi! What do you have against 'Alan's' I've always done ok in interviews!! :lol:

lordturns

I cant believe anyone needs to ask what to wear for an interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other thing that really drives me potty when interviewing is the answer to the question So Alan, what do you know about ABC railways then? A) urgh nothin really.

Oi! What do you have against 'Alan's' I've always done ok in interviews!! :lol:

Every interview I have ever been to in my life I have always gone dressed professionally, arrived early and researched the company that has given me the opportunity to sit in front of them....I have also been an interviewer myself and I have on the whole been shocked at some candidates that have a total lack of basic knowledge when I have asked the 'so what do you know about us?' question. To me that says they don't really want the job - if they can't be bothered at interview stage, what will they be like if you employ them - especially if it is a safety critical role like train driving!

barrykas

Established Member
There are many questions on here that I just cannot understand why folks are asking them. I can almost immediately tell by someone questioning on this forum if they have a good chance of being sucessful or not and I watch and to be fair I am usually correct. I will never mention any names but to me it is blatantly obvois

Veering slightly off-topic, having spoken to some of our DSMs, the common theme is that they're of the opinion there are plenty of people who'd make good drivers, but can't handle the psychometric tests, and plenty of people who make rubbish drivers, but pass the tests with flying colours..

Great advice as usual, I have even downloaded The Rail Industry Sustainable Development Principles for my file. I have left no stone unturned and I will be able to quote quite a lot at interview if I am shortlisted. I have researched the TOC as thoroughly as humanly possible. :D:D:D

TDK

Established Member

The company I was recruiting for actually gave a 30 minute presentation about the Company History and passenger numbers with more info about the company. At interview when I asked, "what do you know about the company" I used to get a lot of answers "Not really that much" Instant Fail I am afraid

loplop

The company I was recruiting for actually gave a 30 minute presentation about the Company History and passenger numbers with more info about the company. At interview when I asked, "what do you know about the company" I used to get a lot of answers "Not really that much" Instant Fail I am afraid

I'd memorised a number of facts and figures about the company, as well as more general info, before my assessment day. I was a bit dismayed to sit through a presentation that went through pretty much all the facts and figures I'd learned - I didn't want them to think I was just parroting back what I'd heard earlier that day!

Seemed to work though, training starts in a week :D

TDK

Established Member
I'd memorised a number of facts and figures about the company, as well as more general info, before my assessment day. I was a bit dismayed to sit through a presentation that went through pretty much all the facts and figures I'd learned - I didn't want them to think I was just parroting back what I'd heard earlier that day!

Seemed to work though, training starts in a week :D

This is actually a part of the assessment process especially with the driving grade. If you show a group of people a presentation and sy 8 out of 10 take notice and answer the interview question based on what they have seen in the presentation it is a good guide on what that person is about opposed to the ones that did not take notice.

louis3552

Hi, Just received a email saying that Ive made it to the second stage of the Event for Platform CSA position..any tips in whats coming next apart from the SWAT analysis ?Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.