• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW/Keolis Amey Wales stock shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ReeceEmmitt

That was my thought too. The leading 175 2 car TFW branded unit, did sound a bit ropey. It also had a constant beeping sound coming from somewhere.

Have been on this one - I thought the noise was coming from the lights!

I thought from memory this was the unit damaged last week near Abergavenny so maybe that’s why she was working in multiple after repairs?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, but I wondered why stations to Hereford are favoured with a last service an hour later than those to the Valleys and whether there was much custom at Hereford at that time in the morning

There was historically a 0030 Cardiff to Manchester Mail train which also used to convey passengers. Probably disappeared as such in the 80s

Dai Corner

Established Member
There was historically a 0030 Cardiff to Manchester Mail train which also used to convey passengers. Probably disappeared as such in the 80s

That makes sense. I happen to have the Summer 1988 timetable to hand and there was a 0044 Manchester-Cardiff (Hereford 0351); probably also mail conveying passengers. The last Cardiff-Hereford was at 2310 so maybe there was a 0030 mail only.

Apologies for going off topic.

Chris217

That was a TPO train and ran in both directions to York via Manchester

The 67 on the Llandudno Manchester circuit didn't operate yesterday
It was worked by 175114.
I bet that was a bulge coming out of Piccadilly!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
[
That was a TPO train and ran in both directions to York via Manchester

The 67 on the Llandudno Manchester circuit didn't operate yesterday
It was worked by 175114.
I bet that was a bulge coming out of Piccadilly!

It operated until 0953 Manchester to Holyhead and taken out at Chester due to battery fault. Unit today.

That was my thought too. The leading 175 2 car TFW branded unit, did sound a bit ropey. It also had a constant beeping sound coming from somewhere.
One cab end of the 2 car says it’s 175107, the other end’s is indistinguishable. Thought 175/1 were 3 cars?
I think this is the unit that was languishing in the sidings from a couple of weeks ago with its paintwork looking in need of urgent tlc. Painted the body but not the front ends.

krus_aragon

Established Member
One cab end of the 2 car says it’s 175107, the other end’s is indistinguishable. Thought 175/1 were 3 cars?
I think this is the unit that was languishing in the sidings from a couple of weeks ago with its paintwork looking in need of urgent tlc. Painted the body but not the front ends.
175107 was one of the two units given vinyl wraps for the franchise launch, so it's vinyl, rather than paint, that's been peeling.

I dimly recall that a previous fault had led to it's running without the centre coach in recent weeks.

hobbm013

Centre coach is missing due to a fire a couple of months back. It was a different unit in Chester sidings which appears to be a spares donor

sd0733

Established Member
Centre coach is missing due to a fire a couple of months back. It was a different unit in Chester sidings which appears to be a spares donor

The one from Chester sidings is now in the depot with a not to be moved board on it. Looks in a bad way but maybe if it's there some repairs are taking place..either that or further stripping.

sw1ller

Established Member
Yeah, 107 had the fire, there’s been an email sent to say it’s not to be uncoupled under any circumstance. So that’ll be running like that for a few more days at least I’d have thought.

The A (50) unit sounded rough as hell today on 107 and I believe there’s 1 or 2 engines on the other unit running at idle. So I think they’re just making the best of a bad situation.

ReeceEmmitt

Just had my first experience of a TfW 150 with disabled toilet mods. Almost comically large but probably easiest access for wheelchair for any train in their fleet!

And it has plug sockets. This is strange.

sw1ller

Established Member
Just had my first experience of a TfW 150 with disabled toilet mods. Almost comically large but probably easiest access for wheelchair for any train in their fleet!

And it has plug sockets. This is strange.

Why’ve they jammed the toilet in so close to the wall?? Doesn’t look comfortable at all!

had 175108 this afternoon from Stockport to crewe had water dripping down from the roof by the air conditioning unit guard said he couldn't do anything except report it but must have a long time dripping as the unit was going black

trainophile

Established Member
had 175108 this afternoon from Stockport to crewe had water dripping down from the roof by the air conditioning unit guard said he couldn't do anything except report it but must have a long time dripping as the unit was going black

Output from air conditioning vents can cause Legionnaires disease. I don’t like the sound of that.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Last evening in Birmingham New Street I saw 2 x 153 on the Chester service, one in TfW livery and one in Arriva Blue. I was a few platforms away so did not note the unit numbers.

Last evening in Birmingham New Street I saw 2 x 153 on the Chester service, one in TfW livery and one in Arriva Blue. I was a few platforms away so did not note the unit numbers.
I think you’re mistaken. There have been no ATW 153s to Birmingham in a very long time, and never one in TfW livery.

Are you confusing it with Cheltenham and a Maesteg service?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I think you’re mistaken. There have been no ATW 153s to Birmingham in a very long time, and never one in TfW livery.

Are you confusing it with Cheltenham and a Maesteg service?
@DavidGrain said they'd seen the units in Birmingham. There aren't any TfW services from Birmingham that go to either Cheltenham or Maesteg.

153s can work Shrewsbury-Birmingham, it's Shrewsbury-Cambrian that they can't (due to lack of ERTMS equipment). It's operationally inconvenient to run them to Birmingham, as there'd be a unit switch at Shrewsbury on the way back. But with TfW stretching their fleet so thinly at the moment, things are showing up all over the place.

anamyd

On Moderation
@DavidGrain said they'd seen the units in Birmingham. There aren't any TfW services from Birmingham that go to either Cheltenham or Maesteg.

153s can work Shrewsbury-Birmingham, it's Shrewsbury-Cambrian that they can't (due to lack of ERTMS equipment). It's operationally inconvenient to run them to Birmingham, as there'd be a unit switch at Shrewsbury on the way back. But with TfW stretching their fleet so thinly at the moment, things are showing up all over the place.
an ex-Valley Lines 150 (279) went to Birmingham fairly recently!

tomwills98

Only 158's in service at Birmingham yesterday. Rebranded 158822 and 158839 were running together though, the rest were all ATW turquoise.

I know 153s can work to Birmingham. I also know they haven’t for a long time. 153333 is the only TfW liveried 153 and is currently restricted and works out and back turns from Cardiff. Since it became a TfW unit it has been nowhere near Birmingham - yesterday, it worked Maesteg to Cheltenham trains.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I know 153s can work to Birmingham. I also know they haven’t for a long time. 153333 is the only TfW liveried 153 and is currently restricted and works out and back turns from Cardiff. Since it became a TfW unit it has been nowhere near Birmingham - yesterday, it worked Maesteg to Cheltenham trains.
Right. That helps me understand your statement better. Thanks.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

If I can come in here but a TFW 153 has been booked to Birmingham International attached to the 158 on 1G19 1135 from Chester on Sundays since last December and, of course, detached at Shrewsbury on the way back. Until the May change it went back again for another trip attaching at Shrewsbury to 1330 ex Aberystwyth and back through to Chester

If I can come in here but a TFW 153 has been booked to Birmingham International attached to the 158 on 1G19 1135 from Chester on Sundays since last December and, of course, detached at Shrewsbury on the way back. Until the May change it went back again for another trip attaching at Shrewsbury to 1330 ex Aberystwyth and back through to Chester
What a clown I am. Forgot all about that turn (although it doesn't always produce).

EDIT: Although that doesn't negate the fact there were no TfW 153s in Birmingham yesterday (or any other day this month).

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What a clown I am. Forgot all about that turn (although it doesn't always produce).

EDIT: Although that doesn't negate the fact there were no TfW 153s in Birmingham yesterday (or any other day this month).

Just after I had read this post I went onto Facebook and the first item believe me was a picture of 153367 at Birmingham International this Sunday. :D:D

Last edited:

I was on the 5-car 175 combo on the Chester-Crewe shuttle yesterday. I asked the conductor if this stock was likely to be a regular occurrence on the shuttle (I didn't think so). I didn't get an answer as he got the wrong end of the stick and thought I was complaining about the lack of air conditioning in at least two of the carriages. Was a hell of a lot better than the normal 150, despite the weird beeping noise emanating from somewhere.

rich.davies

I was on the 5-car 175 combo on the Chester-Crewe shuttle yesterday. I asked the conductor if this stock was likely to be a regular occurrence on the shuttle (I didn't think so). I didn't get an answer as he got the wrong end of the stick and thought I was complaining about the lack of air conditioning in at least two of the carriages. Was a hell of a lot better than the normal 150, despite the weird beeping noise emanating from somewhere.
It was beeping last week too.

Phil from Mon

As I came up the Marches last night there seemed to be quite a procession of 150s going down. I was on the 1716 out of Cardiff and passed at least 3. I also spotted at least one 153 (think it was a pair but wasn’t really watching) on a Cheltenham service at Cardiff.

Until travelling down on Tuesday from Crewe I hadn’t realised just how awful the 150s are for a long distance journey - I was constantly knocking knees with the person opposite me, we were treading on each other’s feet, it was hot and noisy and I had to stand for a while after 2 hours just to get the circulation going again. While I understand that a poor train is better than no train, I hope the 175s get back in to full service soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.