• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Drivers (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hi all,

ATW have now posted trainee positions for Cardiff, in addition to the Pwelli and Mac ones they put up earlier in the week.

Good luck to all who apply!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sammy h

Is there anything stopping me from applying for Cardiff if I have already applied for Mac??

sw1ller

Established Member
I've had a good look on the site and i can't find anywhere on there that says you can't apply to more than 1 job advertisement. My plan is to do as many as I can within commutable distance.

andypops

I just noticed too, and was going to post it here! It appears to be for Cardiff Valley Lines Depot.

It's only open for a week, so I wonder how busy it will be?! Anyone have any idea of typical application numbers?

FYI, Mach and Pwll have both closed now. The Shunter role at Canton is open until 23/02 (tomorrow).

tiptoptaff

Established Member
They only recruit trainees in to the Valleys link now - there are no longer two depots, they're now two links

NX

I hope they take into account people who need to relocate.

I very much doubt it, they will have literally 1000s of people from Cardiff and the surrounding area applying. Why would they even consider shortlisting someone who may/may not move ?

Harsh I know, but that is the reality.

NX

TDK

Established Member
Is there anything stopping me from applying for Cardiff if I have already applied for Mac??

You need to remember that if you live more than an hour from any depot this will reduce your chances of getting either

Beveridges

Established Member

Don't forget if you get Macc you get some of the most scenic routes in the UK and 158's, if you get Cardiff it's all Pacers and (apparently) boring Valley's commuter lines.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Don't forget if you get Macc you get some of the most scenic routes in the UK and 158's, if you get Cardiff it's all Pacers and (apparently) boring Valley's commuter lines.

But with Mac you sign one road. One set of stock. With Cardiff Valley's Link you will sign 142s, 143s, 150s and 153s. You will sign Cardiff to Barry, Penarth, Bridgend (via VOG) Radyr (via City line) Coryton, Aberdare, Mountain Ash, Treherbert Bargoed and Rhymney. Much more variety. Plus there is the chance to move across in to the Mainline link and sign 175s, 158s and possibly the 67? Routes will then include Cardiff to Cheltenham, Maesteg, Shrewsbury and Carmarthen.
Much more variety. And I'd much rather live in Cardiff than Mac, nothing against the place, but it's a little isolated!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
But with Mac you sign one road. One set of stock. With Cardiff Valley's Link you will sign 142s, 143s, 150s and 153s. You will sign Cardiff to Barry, Penarth, Bridgend (via VOG) Radyr (via City line) Coryton, Aberdare, Mountain Ash, Treherbert Bargoed and Rhymney. Much more variety. Plus there is the chance to move across in to the Mainline link and sign 175s, 158s and possibly the 67? Routes will then include Cardiff to Cheltenham, Maesteg, Shrewsbury and Carmarthen.
Much more variety. And I'd much rather live in Cardiff than Mac, nothing against the place, but it's a little isolated!

Isn't Bridgend via VOG Main Line work who also work Ebbw Vale with a little FGW work to Bristol.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member

Think it's only Crewe drivers who sign the 67 now?

andypops

Think it's only Crewe drivers who sign the 67 now?

I would be happy to be wrong...but as (a) the WAG express doesn't call at Crewe, and (b) this doesn't account for the return working (CDF-->HHD), perhaps you are mistaken?

Only way I could see it working is if a Crewe driver works Crewe --> CDF, then works the return CDF--> Chester, then travels as PAX to Crewe. I don't think there are any ATW Crewe to Chester shuttles after the time the WAG arrives at Chester?

If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I would be happy to be wrong...but as (a) the WAG express doesn't call at Crewe, and (b) this doesn't account for the return working (CDF-->HHD), perhaps you are mistaken?

Only way I could see it working is if a Crewe driver works Crewe --> CDF, then works the return CDF--> Chester, then travels as PAX to Crewe. I don't think there are any ATW Crewe to Chester shuttles after the time the WAG arrives at Chester?

If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

You are correct. It is signed and worked by a few drivers from corresponding links and depots that would work a regualr CDF to HHD service I beleive. It is not signed by Crewe drivers, as, like you said, it is not routed via Crewe (except in cases of diversions, when, in any case, Shrewsbury drivers work over that part of the route as they sign it anyway)

And the VOG is a valleys route worked by Valleys crew. Ebbw and Maesteg are worked by mainline crew. To my knowledge, no Arriva drivers sign to Bristol, as Cardiff to Taunton is signed by BTM drivers and Cardiff to Portsmouth by Westbury drivers. They don't even rout conduct diverted HSTs any more as FGW no sign the route via VOG, and, I believe where required, any conducting is done by DBS

Last edited by a moderator:

craigybagel

Established Member
You are correct. It is signed and worked by a few drivers from corresponding links and depots that would work a regualr CDF to HHD service I beleive. It is not signed by Crewe drivers, as, like you said, it is not routed via Crewe (except in cases of diversions, when, in any case, Shrewsbury drivers work over that part of the route as they sign it anyway)

And the VOG is a valleys route worked by Valleys crew. Ebbw and Maesteg are worked by mainline crew. To my knowledge, no Arriva drivers sign to Bristol, as Cardiff to Taunton is signed by BTM drivers and Cardiff to Portsmouth by Westbury drivers. They don't even rout conduct diverted HSTs any more as FGW no sign the route via VOG, and, I believe where required, any conducting is done by DBS

Almost entirely wrong from start to finish.

67s are signed by Holyhead, Crewe and Cardiff. Holyhead work it Holyhead to Chester and back. Crewe bring it from Chester to Cardiff in the morning and Cardiff bring it back at night. However it's top link work at Cardiff (and Cardiff Mainline at that, not Cardiff Valleys which is still effectively a seperate depot - albeit the two depots are based in the same building and share management) so it'd be years before any new starter got anywhere near it. Can't remember how the Crewe diagram works in the morning but the Cardiff man in the evening when he gets to Chester travels as a passenger to Crewe and then brings one back to Cardiff from there. Incidentally, Crewe work quite a few of the Cardiff-Holyheads south of Chester, especially south of Shrewsbury since between Craven Arms and Newport theres only themselves and Cardiff that sign the route. I'm not sure where this idea that you can only work trains that pass through the station you're based at comes from.

Also, as previously said by other posters, Cardiff-Bridgend via the VOG is mainline work, not Valleys, and there is at least one link of Mainline drivers who sign Bristol Temple Meads and work some of the FGW services there.

Last edited:

carlejo

67s are signed by Holyhead, Crewe and Cardiff. Holyhead work it Holyhead to Chester and back. Crewe bring it from Chester to Cardiff in the morning and Cardiff bring it back at night. However it's top link work at Cardiff (and Cardiff Mainline at that, not Cardiff Valleys which is still effectively a seperate depot - albeit the two depots are based in the same building and share management) so it'd be years before any new starter got anywhere near it. Can't remember how the Crewe diagram works in the morning but the Cardiff man in the evening when he gets to Chester travels as a passenger to Crewe and then brings one back to Cardiff from there. Incidentally, Crewe work quite a few of the Cardiff-Holyheads south of Chester, especially south of Shrewsbury since between Craven Arms and Newport theres only themselves and Cardiff that sign the route. I'm not sure where this idea that you can only work trains that pass through the station you're based at comes from.

Also, as previously said by other posters, Cardiff-Bridgend via the VOG is mainline work, not Valleys, and there is at least one link of Mainline drivers who sign Bristol Temple Meads and work some of the FGW services there.

Craigy is spot on with his post, I was just about to comment on the VOG line
valleys drivers do go on that route partly, only as far as Barry, then they split off to Barry Island, they don't have route knowledge passed Barry stn

teaanddunkers

Valley's crews work the VOG to Barry Town before branching off to Barry Island. Barry Town to Bridgend are Mainline.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
May be easy to become confused but the Bridgend trains via the VOG are part of the Valley Network although Main Line crews work.

NX

Mr Craig is correct. Arriva drivers also in addition to FGW Cardiff to Bristol and Bristol TM to Bristol PW also undertake Cardiff Central - Cardiff Central via Down Relief or BrickYard sidings empty unit shunts.

Im not sure why this is so, as FGW have a surplus of drivers (on paper) at Bristol.

NX

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It started when Wessex was formed as a split from Wales & Borders in 2001 but Wessex continued to use Cardiff Drivers. Some continued when FGW took over Wessex in 2006 but over time the numbers and routes ATW drivers worked were eroded, but as established there are still a handful of jobs remaining.

atwales

Just to clarify, in reference to the WAG are you concerning drivers?

As I know the WAG is worked from SHR-CDF in the morning by a SHR guard who then works 11:21 HHD back up to SHR.

In addition, the WAG is then worked from CDF-SHR by a SHR guard, this has been the case since CDF lost the job over a year ago.

craigybagel

Established Member
Just to clarify, in reference to the WAG are you concerning drivers?

As I know the WAG is worked from SHR-CDF in the morning by a SHR guard who then works 11:21 HHD back up to SHR.

In addition, the WAG is then worked from CDF-SHR by a SHR guard, this has been the case since CDF lost the job over a year ago.

I am referring to drivers yes. As you say, its a Shrewsbury guard between Cardiff and Chester both ways (they travel PASS Shrewsbury to Cardiff and then get a taxi to Canton for the evening service), and a Holyhead guard between Chester and Holyhead.

TDK

Established Member
I've had a good look on the site and i can't find anywhere on there that says you can't apply to more than 1 job advertisement. My plan is to do as many as I can within commutable distance.

How far did you get with the job at Chester out of interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.