• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Driver - Wolverhampton (17/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentGemini

I have done the SJT and that was it, no VSe test. Email to say I'd get a reply in about 10 days or so. What's going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dan61

I have done the SJT and that was it, no VSe test. Email to say I'd get a reply in about 10 days or so. What's going on?
That's strange...so you only did the 25 questions and not watching the dot go around the track

RMD

Hi all,

I received an email today inviting me to the assessment centre having been successful in the VSE/SJT testing.

Could anyone shed some light on how many stages there would be altogether. Is this the final assessment stage before interviews?

Also any tips from those who have already been through the Avanti recruitment process would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Emma2021

Hi all,

I received an email today inviting me to the assessment centre having been successful in the VSE/SJT testing.

Could anyone shed some light on how many stages there would be altogether. Is this the final assessment stage before interviews?

Also any tips from those who have already been through the Avanti recruitment process would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Well done.

Out of curiosity when did you complete your sjt/vse

Dan61

Hi all,

Thanks
Have you previously been to the OpC for assessment centre with another TOC

NorthernTech

Hi all,

Thanks
The psychometric tests are something you really need to pass, even if you failed with this recruitment. You should concentrate on reading the material they send through to you, and use the search function on this forum to find out as much info as you can so you can pass the tests at the level that Avanti want, which is enhanced meaning higher than the standard industry pass marks. If you pass then you are a massive step further on, as lots will fail. But concentrate on this part first…

RMD

The psychometric tests are something you really need to pass, even if you failed with this recruitment. You should concentrate on reading the material they send through to you, and use the search function on this forum to find out as much info as you can so you can pass the tests at the level that Avanti want, which is enhanced meaning higher than the standard industry pass marks. If you pass then you are a massive step further on, as lots will fail. But concentrate on this part first…
What a legend, cheers for the advice!

wolvesayewe

Just did my SJT/VSE... the last test was considerably more difficult than the pdf we got sent to practice ... nervous now to find out if I made the cut ... Good luck to everyone else

Albagubrath

I already have a valid pass
For Avanti it needs to be an advanced pass in ALL the sections of the OPC Testing.

Hi all,

Thanks
It will take you 2 full days to do the testing IF you pass Day 1 and it needs to be to an ADVANCED standard. Day 1 you will do 4 test papers one of which is listening to tones whilst doing another task.

If you are invited for day 2 you do 3 stages, the first is the looking at the grey dot on a screen for a long period of time pressing the button if it changes colour. This test is an instant mark of pass or fail… fail and your home. 2nd part is the interview with the OPC which is designed to see if the job is suitable for you and that you have the physical and mental capabilities to do the job, you won’t find out if you passed this until later and then it’s an interview with 2 Depot Managers which is then getting to know you and asking you questions based on your experiences.

If there are 20 of you there on day 1 the odds are that only 1 possibly none of you will obtain the advance pass mark to make it to day 2!!

Is that particularly high age for a train driver, I'm guess

He only mentioned wolverhampton, apparently, they will be advertising every 6 months for the next two years, if that also helps
All the positions for other depots will get snapped up by internal recruiting. Problem is the shifts at Wolverhampton Depot are terrible hence why they can’t fill the jobs internally!

Last edited:

FManc

For Avanti it needs to be an advanced pass in ALL the sections of the OPC Testing.

It will take you 2 full days to do the testing IF you pass Day 1 and it needs to be to an ADVANCED standard. Day 1 you will do 4 test papers one of which is listening to tones whilst doing another task.

If you are invited for day 2 you do 3 stages, the first is the looking at the grey dot on a screen for a long period of time pressing the button if it changes colour. This test is an instant mark of pass or fail… fail and your home. 2nd part is the interview with the OPC which is designed to see if the job is suitable for you and that you have the physical and mental capabilities to do the job, you won’t find out if you passed this until later and then it’s an interview with 2 Depot Managers which is then getting to know you and asking you questions based on your experiences.

If there are 20 of you there on day 1 the odds are that only 1 possibly none of you will obtain the advance pass mark to make it to day 2!!

All the positions for other depots will get snapped up by internal recruiting. Problem is the shifts at Wolverhampton Depot are terrible hence why they can’t fill the jobs internally!

Yeah Wolves is notorious for its shift pattern - either very early or very late and not much in between.

NorthernTech

This information seems rather incorrect. The psychometric tests firstly are known as 2 types, either a national pass or an ‘enhanced’ pass. Enhanced, it seems can be anything above the National depending on what the company itself wants and they can add further tests such as the DFFT test. For the rest of the information regarding test days and their format, use the search function or read the email sent to you by the TOC, but the day 2 certainly doesn’t just do the Grey square test and 2 interviews.

FManc

How do you know this and what do you class as very early or very late?

Very early as in 2/3/4/5am starts.
Very late as in midnight finishes onwards
It’s well known for having the worst shift patterns out of all the depots.

Don’t get me wrong it’s still an amazing opportunity especially considering it’s external which has traditionally been quite rare at Virgin/Avanti.

seagull

The situation there is made a little worse also by having 15 of the depot's drivers in a special "most senior" link (not by age but by length of service with the company) and that link only has jobs that start after 5 a.m and finish before 10 p.m. So of course that does leave more extreme work for the other links.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The situation there is made a little worse also by having 15 of the depot's drivers in a special "most senior" link (not by age but by length of service with the company) and that link only has jobs that start after 5 a.m and finish before 10 p.m. So of course that does leave more extreme work for the other links.
Ouch! So LLC isn't great there either then

wolvesayewe

Ouch! So LLC isn't great there either then
What is LLC?

Very early as in 2/3/4/5am starts.
Very late as in midnight finishes onwards
It’s well known for having the worst shift patterns out of all the depots.

Don’t get me wrong it’s still an amazing opportunity especially considering it’s external which has traditionally been quite rare at Virgin/Avanti.
Why would you start at 2/3/4am when the trains don't start until 5:45 ish?

Thanks for your insite though, it's handy to know

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Thanks... are unions rep ever any good???

So do you mean shunting?
Yes! Union reps I've dealt with are very good at local level stuff, raising issues with diagrams and representing at meetings etc.

Empty stock moves are moving trains on and off depots

FManc

What is LLC?

Why would you start at 2/3/4am when the trains don't start until 5:45 ish?

Thanks for your insite though, it's handy to know

Empty stock moves from Oxley for 390s and Barton for 221s. Sign on at Wolves, taxi to depot, prep the train, bring it into the starting station etc……you’re looking at 90 mins before leaving as a passenger service from booking on.

wolvesayewe

Empty stock moves from Oxley for 390s and Barton for 221s. Sign on at Wolves, taxi to depot, prep the train, bring it into the starting station etc……you’re looking at 90 mins before leaving as a passenger service from booking on.
Ok, I understand now... thanks for the info mate

The Don

I have to do the Group Bourdon for Avanti, although I have the enhanced standard for another TOC. Anyone have an insight to the level you have to get to in the Group Bourdon for Avanti?

Efini92

Established Member
There’s plenty of jobs that finish after 2200 in link 1

seagull

Yes, you're right: was getting mixed up with something else.

Link 1 is "no booking on before 5 a.m, and no night turns".

Which of course does mean the other links get a slightly higher proportion of such work as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.