• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Ye I know for a fact one of them I should have put strongly for but I was trying to get it done whilst at work and don’t want anyone knowing! Lord help me.

I wonder if that’s scored on points or literally right or wrong
I'm not sure but I'd have thought it was point scores rather that right/wrong. I don't like this kind of test, the psychometrics are far easier IMO

Well let's see what happens .....friend of mine in a HR role says sometimes a strongly agree can can show a lack of flexibility, ie its that way or nothing .....but we're all clutching at straws here ....plenty of if's,buts,and maybe's do we'll just have to wait.
Good luck to everyone anyway ..
Yes I can see that point, but if it's a safety or rule question on the railway it really shouldn't be flexible in its answer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackboy

Yeh it seems like everyone that has applied have received this test. I bet they haven't even looked at anyone's CV yet.

This is Elimination round 1.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yeh it seems like everyone that has applied have received this test. I bet they haven't even looked at anyone's CV yet.

This is Elimination round 1.
Not everyone gets through initial sift. This is elimination round 2 and does cut out a lot of people

SuperS16v

Hi, at what point is Cables and Dials with Avanti? I cant find anything that refers to that test... or is during actual training if you pass etc

Its one of the paper tests - it comes under Trainability for Rules & Procedures - TRP2

Trackboy

Not everyone gets through initial sift. This is elimination round 2 and does cut out a lot of people
I know someone that is in first year of college with no job experience at all, received this test.

That makes me think they haven't looked at anyone's application yet. Just sent out this personality based test to everyone.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I know someone that is in first year of college with no job experience at all, received this test.

That makes me think they haven't looked at anyone's application yet. Just sent out this personality based test to everyone.
They will be looking for key words in the original application and probably distance to depot etc. Just because they are at college with no job experience doesn't mean they wouldn't pass the sift

Mana

I am dead sure they have sifted a bunch already.
I applied to two location and received one test
There are someone above have received 2, 3 tests back
so there you have it.

Penny

Well let's see what happens .....friend of mine in a HR role says sometimes a strongly agree can can show a lack of flexibility, ie its that way or nothing .....but we're all clutching at straws here ....plenty of if's,buts,and maybe's do we'll just have to wait.
Good luck to everyone anyway ..
I guess when it comes to safety issues you have to be inflexible.

ayaz2001

oh damnn, thanks for letting me know, completely new to this lmao.

i guess the first sift is to do with distance as well as age etc, so a person from Warrington would be within 1 hour to 3 depots than to someone who lives in Burnley

Last edited:

IW22

Agreed with safety always paramount . It would depend on the question surely and also I'm sure we all got a mixture of different questions to try a gauge what sort of people we are and if they consider is suitable candidates
Only time will tell ........
Best of luck anyway

Last edited:

Rail455

I’ve just sat my online tests and I’m pretty sure I’ve automatically failed myself.

The first question asks if you are 20 1/2 years of age. I am 3 weeks off of this which is very annoying. I’ve ticked ‘no’ as I feel that ticking ‘yes’ and hoping that it goes unnoticed until I actually am 20 1/2 could end up coming back to bite me in the future if anyone was to pick up on this.

Absolutely gutted, I wish they let you enter your date of birth so they could see that I am actually not far off and by the time the next stage was to commence I would probably be within the required age range.

I applied in the first instance as I’m aware of how rare these positions actually come up so thought it was worth taking a chance however now I’m sure that I’ll be automatically rejected based on that 1 question.

Is there anyone else trying to apply at the same sort of age or are in a similar situation?

Thanks

SuperS16v

I’ve just sat my online tests and I’m pretty sure I’ve automatically failed myself.

The first question asks if you are 20 1/2 years of age. I am 3 weeks off of this which is very annoying. I’ve ticked ‘no’ as I feel that ticking ‘yes’ and hoping that it goes unnoticed until I actually am 20 1/2 could end up coming back to bite me in the future if anyone was to pick up on this.

Absolutely gutted, I wish they let you enter your date of birth so they could see that I am actually not far off and by the time the next stage was to commence I would probably be within the required age range.

I applied in the first instance as I’m aware of how rare these positions actually come up so thought it was worth taking a chance however now I’m sure that I’ll be automatically rejected based on that 1 question.

Is there anyone else trying to apply at the same sort of age or are in a similar situation?

Thanks

Unfortunately on the website it states: The applicant has to be 20 ½ years old at the point of applying.

You could email them and say you are three weeks off but imagine you will get rejected. They have to draw a clear line somewhere.

Mana

Thanks
Don't rush, you got all the time in the world if's better you go prepared and experienced

Thunderpantz

I applied to Wolverhampton and completed the OPC tests yesterday. Majority of the questions I feel I did okay with, some of them I felt I was second guessing my own judgement.

Fingers crossed eh!

TBowman

Hi all, i am completely new to this and am finding this forum very helpful. This is my first application as a trainee driver. I am a 33 year old female looking for a complete career change. I completed the tests yesterday and surprisingly found the SJT easier than the others. I found myself second guessing a lot. I wonder when we will hear if we got through this stage or not.

My main worry is my height, does anyone know if there is a minimum height requirement to be a driver? Iv heard it used to be 5’2 but now there isn’t a requirement? The application form did ask for my height so I emailed Avanti and this is the reply I received;

‘We need to know due to any adjustments that may need to be required if successful. If under or over, there may be requirements for further risk assessments.’

I know they will have to check I can see clearly and reach the DSD. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Aviator88

Hi all, i am completely new to this and am finding this forum very helpful. This is my first application as a trainee driver. I am a 33 year old female looking for a complete career change. I completed the tests yesterday and surprisingly found the SJT easier than the others. I found myself second guessing a lot. I wonder when we will hear if we got through this stage or not.

My main worry is my height, does anyone know if there is a minimum height requirement to be a driver? Iv heard it used to be 5’2 but now there isn’t a requirement? The application form did ask for my height so I emailed Avanti and this is the reply I received;

‘We need to know due to any adjustments that may need to be required if successful. If under or over, there may be requirements for further risk assessments.’

I know they will have to check I can see clearly and reach the DSD. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Hi!

I have no personal experience of this, but multiple sources online seem to cite 5'2" as the preferred shortest height for driving roles, although this seems to be a guide and it ultimately comes down to, as you say, your ability to operate the controls safely.

However (and this is pure speculation), it is likely that trainees at Avanti will be learning the new Hitachi sets and, being that they are a product of the modern era, I'd have thought it highly likely that the cab ergonomics are designed around a very wide demographic of people.

Perhaps any 390 drivers can also weigh in on their experiences in this regard?

I wish you the best of luck with your application!

Azzer88

I applied to Wolverhampton and completed the OPC tests yesterday. Majority of the questions I feel I did okay with, some of them I felt I was second guessing my own judgement.

Fingers crossed eh!
Could it be done on a iPad? Or do you need a laptop and mouse etc?

Did mine today not much prep can be done really, better off just going for it in peace and quiet.

Has anyone had a confirmation email after finishing it?

I clicked submit and it seemed to just kick you out to the original sign in screen just worried now haha
Could it be done on an iPad the assessments? Is it just ticking boxes etc

PF19

Could it be done on a iPad? Or do you need a laptop and mouse etc?

Could it be done on an iPad the assessments? Is it just ticking boxes etc
I did it with keyboard and mouse as it suggests, I can't see why you couldnt do it on an iPad as it's just boxes but I also wouldn't want to chance the screen displaying incorrectly at all

nolypops83

Does anyone know if Avanti put you up in a hotel during the 16 week theory training? I know XC and LNER pay for your accommodation.
They do. Training is done either at Crewe or Glasgow I believe so for most people it will involve staying away from home.

TBowman

Hi!

I have no personal experience of this, but multiple sources online seem to cite 5'2" as the preferred shortest height for driving roles, although this seems to be a guide and it ultimately comes down to, as you say, your ability to operate the controls safely.

However (and this is pure speculation), it is likely that trainees at Avanti will be learning the new Hitachi sets and, being that they are a product of the modern era, I'd have thought it highly likely that the cab ergonomics are designed around a very wide demographic of people.

Perhaps any 390 drivers can also weigh in on their experiences in this regard?

I wish you the best of luck with your application!
Thank you for this, very helpful :)

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

The height is also to do with getting on and off the train safely at depots. I'm 5'8 and some tractions have less than ideal steps from track level for me, though he do have train crew around that 5'2 height so hopefully it won't be an issue for you

Generally how does everyone feel with the answers they gave to the driving tasks and non technical skills questions? I feel as though I gave good answers, although all the possible answers you could have given were important so it's difficult to judge

neilkil78

Well, OPC assessments completed this morning. Similar to most I reckon they took about 60-70mins, with a bit of wandering around time in between sections. On the whole I'd like to think that I've answered pretty well, but given the questions/answers are based around you as an individual who knows!! I'd love the opportunity to discuss and expand on answers and my reasoning and time will tell on that I suppose.

I applied for both Manchester & Liverpool and I definitely live within the 60mins of them both. I only had 1 e-mail invitation so hopefully 1 set of assessments are used for both applications. If not, I have no idea which application warranted the invite to assessments!

For now, its a case of putting it all to the back of my mind and hoping that the wait to hear is a matter of weeks rather than months...or not at all.