• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast - Super Voyager Refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB

I've been told that these seats came from coach 'G' in 9-car Pendos when that coach was reseated to standard. I'm not sure, and there was no response when I raised it on another thread.

From what I recall, they are 2+2 standard class seats, just with extra spacing and proper tables on the airline ones rather than fold down-tables, aren't they? Coach G in a Pendolio would have been the 2+1 reclining first-class type (as I recall - it was years ago now!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've been told that these seats came from coach 'G' in 9-car Pendos when that coach was reseated to standard. I'm not sure, and there was no response when I raised it on another thread.

This isn't correct. The seat frames are the originals which are the same as the Pendolinos anyway, and the cushions are new.

From what I recall, they are 2+2 standard class seats, just with extra spacing and proper tables on the airline ones rather than fold down-tables, aren't they? Coach G in a Pendolio would have been the 2+1 reclining first-class type (as I recall - it was years ago now!).

Talking a bit cross purpose I think, the Coach D "2+2 First" seats were the existing Standard frames with new cushions, but they've now been replaced with normal Standard cushions.

mmh

Established Member
This may be dismissed as a 'first-world problem', but.
There's complaints that seats don't line always up with windows. What does always line up with windows is coat-hooks - one each side of the window (as can be seen in the images above), regardless of seat position - and in the first on a Voyager there's two single airline seats that share a single coat-hook. From experience, this can be the source of debate as to which passenger is entitled to it. In some other seats, hanging a jacket either completely obstructs the window, rests on the table, or can't hang down at all because of the seat itself.
On the other hand, I think that it's Meridians that have coat hooks each side of the window behind the luggage stacks.
I can't understand why their location is so thoughtless.

That's not the case on Voyagers. The coat hook is movable, not fixed.

mmh

Established Member
This may be dismissed as a 'first-world problem', but.
There's complaints that seats don't line always up with windows. What does always line up with windows is coat-hooks - one each side of the window (as can be seen in the images above), regardless of seat position - and in the first on a Voyager there's two single airline seats that share a single coat-hook. From experience, this can be the source of debate as to which passenger is entitled to it. In some other seats, hanging a jacket either completely obstructs the window, rests on the table, or can't hang down at all because of the seat itself.
On the other hand, I think that it's Meridians that have coat hooks each side of the window behind the luggage stacks.
I can't understand why their location is so thoughtless.

That's not the case on Voyagers. The coat hook is movable, not fixed.

mmh

Established Member
By a passenger? I didn't know that - they're always in the same position, as shown in the images.

Yes, by passengers. The images in this thread are mockups. See the interior pictures on the Wikipedia page for the class 221, in reality they end up all over the place.

The Chimaera

Coming back to the Voyagers. For once, it would appear that Standard Class will be getting more attention than first - IIRC, Didn't Virgin fit those blue leather seats into the first class section of their Voyagers fairly recently?
The WC Voyager sets had a mini refurb with the posher leather seats and the 1st or standard convertible coach when the Pendolino's were withdrawn from the Holyhead services (Hauled by 57's). It was to placate the North Welsh MP's apparently.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The WC Voyager sets had a mini refurb with the posher leather seats and the 1st or standard convertible coach when the Pendolino's were withdrawn from the Holyhead services (Hauled by 57's). It was to placate the North Welsh MP's apparently.

I sometimes caught the 15.24 Shrewsbury-Euston at International (16.40 dept.) which was a double and one of the sets (not sure whether it was the through Salop or the New St starter but I think it was the former - at the rear) had the 'convertible' coach set out as first (crockery, antimacassars etc) with at-seat service up until the winter timetable 2 - 3 years ago. Funnily enough, however, I don't ever remember a North Wales train where this happened. Does anyone know if booked conversion has now ceased altogether? (outside of the present situation)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Trackman

Established Member
Wow. I know it is possible for a bloke to push a unit along at low speed on the flat in a depot due to the very low friction, but for a similar reason I don't get why he thought he could push it to a stop on a slope with all that weight disagreeing! :)
I'd be having words with him, if he slipped it would have been curtains.

So am I, I wonder why it wasn't chocked from the start - or at least the shunting staff walking with the chocks?
Well yes, if the parking brake had been isolated it should have been scotched beforehand.
Do they separate the carriages on a refurb?

On Moderation
I'd be having words with him, if he slipped it would have been curtains.
He was one slip away from a Darwin Award. Should be more than just having words!

You’d think the RAIB might be interested in this incident.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
He was one slip away from a Darwin Award. Should be more than just having words!

Well, quite. Trying to stop it is nuts. He should clearly have got out of the way as soon as possible, and moved to warn anyone that may have been in its path. In the end it's just expensive metal, better that it gets damaged than he gets hurt.

You’d think the RAIB might be interested in this incident.

I'm sure it will have been reported.

Trackman

Established Member
Well the words would be suspended pending investigation.
What is his mate up to in the video? (better on full screen)
At first he's stationery, seemingly his back to the train then runs to a sack and takes something and runs back again- chocks?

Skie

Trying to push against a rolling vehicle is a bit of a fight or flight response. Have found myself doing it before common sense took over and I stepped to the side and became a spectator. Wasn’t a bloomin train though

DBS92042

Established Member
Or possibly the same one. The first one was cancelled at Wembley Central due to Engineering Works by the looks of things.
Good spot, I forgot to check whether the first one ever made it to Ilford. Does anyone know which 221 this was?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Well, quite. Trying to stop it is nuts. He should clearly have got out of the way as soon as possible, and moved to warn anyone that may have been in its path. In the end it's just expensive metal, better that it gets damaged than he gets hurt.
Indeed, step aside and get a cup of tea (other beverages available) while waiting for the Mediscreen to turn up.

Skie

No, the voyagers were given new first class seats years ago.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I don’t think the first refurb (221101) is out yet. Anyone know when it’s scheduled to be done?

gsnedders

Established Member
I’m surprised that they even bothered considering that the 805s will arrive and be introduced in 2021/2022, though this is really just a redecoration and will be nothing compared to what will be done to the Pendolinos.

It's a franchise requirement, presumably to make them as desirable as possible for any other TOC to take them on (XC? pretty please? DfT, please?).

Status
Not open for further replies.