• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Octopus28

I think you may be mistaken. According to BS ISO 10667-2:2011, part 2, which sets out the rules for running the train driver assessment test, they need to be monitored, it states the assessor must be "vigilant and walk around the room during the test".

I suspect these online tests are just to narrow the field. The invite says that if you pass these tests you will be invited for face to face assessment.
I think it just means the VSE is an extra exam used to whittle us down hence why it’s allowed to be done at home with no monitoring. It’s not one of the basic OPC exams - TEA-OCC, group Bourdon etc

PaulBusDriver

What’s part 2 like? Seen lots of examples of part 1 but nothing else. Thanks :)
Part2 is a shape selecting excercise, it instructs you to select certain shapes or combinations of shapes. Part 3 is the track fault finding and shape selecting combined, with the track being the bigger priority

TheGoldfish

I think you may be mistaken. According to BS ISO 10667-2:2011, part 2, which sets out the rules for running the train driver assessment test, they need to be monitored, it states the assessor must be "vigilant and walk around the room during the test".

I suspect these online tests are just to narrow the field. The invite says that if you pass these tests you will be invited for face to face assessment.

Not so .... i questioned being dropped by arriva and they stated in writing it was because of the VSE i took at home (i had passed ST1 with them and was awaiting invite to ST2) I didnt offer it as a reason .. they checked themselves with the opc ....

bruebunny

Nothing either yet :(
Nor here. However I have realised I have passed both those tests with the OPC already, so it could be that I won't hear back until it gets to the tests I still need to pass?

That's what I'm trying to convince myself of anyway :D

Octopus28

Part2 is a shape selecting excercise, it instructs you to select certain shapes or combinations of shapes. Part 3 is the track fault finding and shape selecting combined, with the track being the bigger priority
Thank you :) Tried looking for photos or examples online and there was nothing haha!

puffpuffgive

Not so .... i questioned being dropped by arriva and they stated in writing it was because of the VSE i took at home (i had passed ST1 with them and was awaiting invite to ST2) I didnt offer it as a reason .. they checked themselves with the opc ....

Ah man, that seems so unfair, especially as you can fail for a connection loss or other issue totally beyond your control.

TheGoldfish

Ah man, that seems so unfair, especially as you can fail for a connection loss or other issue totally beyond your control.

That was my argument ... the lack of control and inconsistency of connections and equipment for the candidates .... but they weren’t having it ... I can understand using it as a sift tool ... but to record and hold the results for other tocs seemed a little unfair ....

na281093

That was my argument ... the lack of control and inconsistency of connections and equipment for the candidates .... but they weren’t having it ... I can understand using it as a sift tool ... but to record and hold the results for other tocs seemed a little unfair ....

Just to clarify, do results of this VSE affect your 2 ‘lives’ you get with the Psychometrics tests? Or is this a separate thing only some TOCs require, but the results are still stored by the OPC if you have done these tests.

TheGoldfish

Just to clarify, do results of this VSE affect your 2 ‘lives’ you get with the Psychometrics tests? Or is this a separate thing only some TOCs require, but the results are still stored by the OPC if you have done these tests.

I stand to be corrected .. but my belief is it is one of my two strikes ... but only on the vse test ..it doesn’t affect the others I have taken ??

Octopus28

I stand to be corrected .. but my belief is it is one of my two strikes ... but only on the vse test ..it doesn’t affect the others I have taken ??
I emailed the OPC and they said:

If you fail the VSE then it wouldn't be that you fail all of the 'OPC' as it is not our process. Certain TOCs do not use the VSE and therefore a fail of the VSE won't affect your existing results of your OPC if going with them, however if you are asked to re-sit any of the tests that you have done for a certain TOC, then yes it will have an impact on those results.

Nevergiveup

Thanks mate, I also remember your username :)
I failed vigilance test back in Feb so cant be invited again till August anyway but I’ll look out for any vacancy and apply..
Got open application with GWR and also postponed assessment for tram driver so hopefully hear something once things are back to normal!
Hope you’re keeping safe :)

Don’t be disheartened. I think everyone was shocked when the job vacancies came up, especially with the way everything is at the minute. Remember your username!

Octopus28

Thanks mate, I also remember your username :)
I failed vigilance test back in Feb so cant be invited again till August anyway but I’ll look out for any vacancy and apply..
Got open application with GWR and also postponed assessment for tram driver so hopefully hear something once things are back to normal!
Hope you’re keeping safe :)
If it’s meant to be it’s meant to be :) My fingers are crossed for you! Stay safe:)

DriverGB

I applied for Euston on Monday morning (OPC with access code) and haven’t heard anything back yet although I suppose I was one of the Johnny-come-latelys!
I’ve already passed my assessments with another TOC to advanced standard so wondering if that could be a factor in not hearing back yet... should probably stop second guessing and find something better to do with my time!
Likewise I passed my assessments with another TOC but haven’t heard anything as yet from last Friday.

Cyclist

annoyed that I missed this as I got quite far through this process when it came round two years ago. Anyway, good luck to all those who did manage to apply!

Octopus28

Do you reckon people with current enhanced passes with the OPC will be asked to do the VSE too?
Probably, doubt they will look that far into people’s OPC scores until after they’ve passed the VSE & SJT. This is just something they do to get the best of the group I suppose. I’ve applied to TOCs before with my OPC passed and still had to do their chosen entrance exams

Octopus28

I have done the VSE - easy
SJT - Very Hard
wait and see ...
I’m guessing the SJT answers are all so realistic to what you’d do, that it makes it hard to distinguish what they’d deem as the best option haha!!
Part 3 of the VSE not difficult?? Loads say it’s very hard and to prioritise the track and the shapes 2nd? This correct?

good luck:)

Trackman2

Part 3 is hard but doable. You need to do it in a systematic way and follow instructions. I did get a few wrong when everything start lighting up all over the place. But that should be expected as the want to see how you prioritise in that moment.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We had quite an extensive off-topic discussion brewing there about GWR and their train drivers in the South West. So that has been relocated to its own thread which can be found here. I would therefore ask that we try and stick to the topic which is about Avanti's recruitment of trainees at Wolverhampton and Euston. Considering this thread is barely a weekly old and has already hit eleven pages there's clearly a lot of interest!

Sammy2019

Congrats to everyone that has been progressed.

I’ve heard nothing regarding the Euston depot so assuming that anyone that hasn’t heard has been unsuccessfull.

bruebunny

I’ve heard nothing regarding the Euston depot so assuming that anyone that hasn’t heard has been unsuccessfull.

You don't know until they say no for definite. People are getting the "unfortunately you haven't been successful" email, so until you get that email, assume nothing, and try and stay positive.

Carl98k

I’ve still not heard anything either. Some people had posted stating they’ve received an unsuccessful email. I assume an email will come either way.

Railroader22

I’ve still not heard anything either, but they will get back to us either way.

Erowe

Not heard a peep this end either. Until it's a no I'm keeping hopeful and just assuming that they have a lot of emails to send with limited staff due to the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.