• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchangelA

Yes, me too. I think I'll do it as I have some time over the weekend. If, as they say, it will provide useful practice for the proper assessments then it's worth a shot. There's always the chance that it curries some favour with OPC, even if they don't discuss it with Avanti :D
and what if you fail them...would it have the opposite affect with OPC?? lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

na281093

Bloody hell talk about ****ting you up haha, only trial tests for The OPC. Thought it was the real deal and I got an email through.

AKP82

Just done it.

I'm considering it. OPC say that you don't have to complete them and they won't tell Avanti whether you do them or not. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else has attempted them before I try them.

Last edited:

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Am I allowed to suggest that maybe, and it might be because of paranoia or what not, but maybe as these are in trial phases it’s best not to discuss the contents? OPC may not want the details out there.

Am I allowed to suggest that maybe, and it might be because of paranoia or what not, but maybe as these are in trial phases it’s best not to discuss the contents? OPC may not want the details out there.

A fair point well made. All I'll say is that it took me approx 45 to do all 5 (including reading instructions and practice for each test).
I actually found it quite interesting.

Mb1234

Just a quick one, i’ve never done the assessments before, is the group bourdon done on paper or computer at OPC?

ArchangelA

A fair point well made. All I'll say is that it took me approx 45 to do all 5 (including reading instructions and practice for each test).
I actually found it quite interesting.
Are they easy, hard? Do you need a membership of MENSA to complete them like some of the other railway tests?

Railhopeful

Just completed the 5 tests. Found the last one the most difficult but rest were ok. If they're the kind of tests we will do it's good to know to be able to prepare

Red1980

That’s so so wrong! Why can’t they just say MMI and do different pass rates like the rest of the exams wanting enhanced pass rates.
Just go and do it. Worry about what happens if you fail if you actually fail. End of the day no one is forcing anyone to take these assessments.

If people think it's too risky going through Avanti's process go and apply for one of the others where there's no risk to precious assessment passes...... after all as an industry there's never been a time where multiple TOCs are as active in terms of trainee driver recruitment.

I'm sure there's plenty that would be happy getting to the next stage with Avanti and wouldn't give a frogs fat backside about the risks to other assessment passes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Octopus28

Stop whining about what's in place and what is right and wrong and just go and do it. Worry about what happens if you fail if you actually fail. End of the day no one is forcing anyone to take these assessments.

If people think it's too risky going through Avanti's process go and apply for one of the others where there's no risk to precious assessment passes...... after all as an industry there's never been a time where multiple TOCs are as active in terms of trainee driver recruitment.

I'm sure there's plenty that would be happy getting to the next stage with Avanti and wouldn't give a frogs fat backside about the risks to other assessment passes.
Thank you so much for your wise words. I and others were actually just pointing out that Avanti make a point of choosing to do a different interview style to all other TOCs which in turn penalises every other MMI pass if failed. I’m sure many in this position wouldn’t take the risk of doing the CBI and possibly failing and therefore never being able to become a train driver ever again. Everyone in this post is so positive and helpful, we’ve all helped each other since day one of these jobs being advertised and don’t need such a negative post :)

Established Member
Thank you so much for your wise words. I and others were actually just pointing out that Avanti make a point of choosing to do a different interview style to all other TOCs which in turn penalises every other MMI pass if failed. I’m sure many in this position wouldn’t take the risk of doing the CBI and possibly failing and therefore never being able to become a train driver ever again. Everyone in this post is so positive and helpful, we’ve all helped each other since day one of these jobs being advertised and don’t need such a negative post :)

In fairness to @Red1980 he does make a valid point. There isn’t much to be gained from criticising Avanti’s approach to recruitment. They presumably have their reasons and, at the end of the day, it’s their train set :).

If you’ve passed to enhanced level at another TOC, why not back yourself to get through Avanti’s tests? Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Octopus28

In fairness to @Red1980 he does make a valid point. There isn’t much to be gained from criticising Avanti’s approach to recruitment. They presumably have their reasons and, at the end of the day, it’s their train set :).

If you’ve passed to enhanced level at another TOC, why not back yourself to get through Avanti’s tests? Nothing ventured nothing gained!
I do back myself, I have done since the start but if you fail then it overrides the current pass you have and you can’t take the same test 3 times meaning train driving can no longer be your career. Coming along this process I thought they did the MMI until I received the email telling me they actually do the CBI. I don’t think I was alone in this being a blocker in going any further in this process. As I’ve said, I’m awaiting the next email and at that point I can look at whether I wish to withdraw my application meaning I don’t take a place at the test centre going forward.

Established Member
I do back myself, I have done since the start but if you fail then it overrides the current pass you have and you can’t take the same test 3 times meaning train driving can no longer be your career. Coming along this process I thought they did the MMI until I received the email telling me they actually do the CBI. I don’t think I was alone in this being a blocker in going any further in this process. As I’ve said, I’m awaiting the next email and at that point I can look at whether I wish to withdraw my application meaning I don’t take a place at the test centre going forward.

Fair point.

I have to read the whole thread but it might be worth contacting the OPC for clarification on whether the CBI definitely overrides the MMI (which is also competency based).

AIUI the assessment process is largely standardised by the ORR so it’s difficult to see how the CBI could be that different.

Octopus28

Fair point.

I have to read the whole thread but it might be worth contacting the OPC for clarification on whether the CBI definitely overrides the MMI (which is also competency based).

AIUI the assessment process is largely standardised by the ORR so it’s difficult to see how the CBI could be that different.
Yeah that’s I’m going to do, when I eventually get the email I’ll give the OPC a call and clarify it before I do anything else haha!

Stigy

Established Member
I do back myself, I have done since the start but if you fail then it overrides the current pass you have and you can’t take the same test 3 times meaning train driving can no longer be your career...
You can take the psychometric assessments as many times as you like, you just can’t fail it twice and take it a third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.