• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avantix replacement (previously: Arriva ditch Avantix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JaJaWa

Established Member
...It has been trialled on and off at Huddersfield by the Revenue Staff there, but currently isn't in use due to reported electrical faults with the chargers...

Are the Samsungs of the exploding variety?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Are the Samsungs of the exploding variety?

No, they are an old model and not the latest self combusting variety. It is the something to do with the combined charging station I am told, which is a Fujitsu bespoke product apparently.

SaveECRewards

VTEC's DORIS kit certainly does.

Including Apple Pay/Android Pay over £30 or are we stuck with the physical card limit of £30?

Is only VTEC using DORIS? What made them different to the rest of Stagecoach or was this something under development since the East Coast days?

BHXDMT

It was asked when I was shown the Envoy system... "In theory it does but we haven't tested it yet!" - alas, that was a long, long time ago... so hopefully someone has found out yet :lol:

I believe I read on the intranet it has been tested (successfully).

Matt Taylor

Established Member
No contactless on SWT's Envoy equipment although it can be added later(probably when the new franchise starts). After many weeks delay we finally have some machines in our depot and a very small number of us are now using them, I used one for the first time on Friday and the first ticket I sold with the new machine was from Beaulieu Road of all places! Unfortunately my machine developed a fault but once I have done a couple of complete shifts with it I may be able to provide more information.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I wanted to buy onboard a VT service tother day but the guys new machine wasnt having any of it. Instead bought from the guard of the Northern service I changed onto and was issued with one of the Huuuuuuuuuge paper roll tickets which I fear Id muddle with a supermarket tillslip if not consentrating. Contactless though so happy me.

On my return trip 2 days later I started from an unstaffed TVMless station but was issued with old style tickets instead on the train.

ethernet22

Used Android Pay on Greater Anglia successfully the other day. Numerous other people used contactless too.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Including Apple Pay/Android Pay over £30 or are we stuck with the physical card limit of £30?

Is only VTEC using DORIS? What made them different to the rest of Stagecoach or was this something under development since the East Coast days?

Only VTEC is using DORIS maybe SWT and EMT view of Envoy had an effect on the decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geeves

Established Member
Expect to see the new Star Mobile on services covered by Manchester Victoria depot by the end of next week (depending on how they get on putting all the new guff in the OTAP). We are off for some training tomorrow. Hooorah!

M60lad

Which Northern Rail depots have got the new ticket machines now?

I'm pretty sure Yorkshire Depots hve got them as the Conductor on my Caldervale Train to Rochdale on Saturday had one and the other week travelling from Doncaster-Sheffield the Conductor had one although the Conductor on Sheffield-Piccadilly still had the older machine

Potato185

Liverpool/Wigan/Blackpool/Hull/Leeds/Huddersfield to name a few have all got STARMobile up and running. I've had my training and not looking forward to it. Piccadilly is due to have the equipment installed in the next week or so apparently.

They said mid-November. So I of course replied with "Which November?"

BHXDMT

Stourbridge Junction Conductors will be trialling LM's Envoy kit from 15th November if anyone is on the Snow Hill lines.

Geeves

Established Member
I had my training on it today. Its not actually a bad system and many of the bugs will be ironed out over the coming months on the Northern side of things anyway. The plan is that all the stock on Northern will have a secondary wifi system just for the machines to work off so that will eventually put to bed the connection issues.

It will still do cards offline and you can swipe foreign cards but not cards with chips in. It prints quickly and the card payments are very quick so long as you remember to press the right buttons. Unfortunately the days of swiping normal cards are over and there will be no more tickets issued with an empty bank account when you are broke before payday. Its very to easy excess fares on board now, Weekly Seasons come with a QR code so you dont even need to put it through the barrier anymore once the scanners are working. It can also scan mobile tickets though the scanner wont be working till December. Eventually every ticket will have a QR code I believe. It has a scanner for warrants and RTVs, it will do split payments very easily. In some respects its better than the Star Desktop I normally use.

Its absolutely light years ahead of Avantix and working in the OTAP I will be glad to see the back of it.

Last edited:

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Liverpool/Wigan/Blackpool/Hull/Leeds/Huddersfield to name a few have all got STARMobile up and running. I've had my training and not looking forward to it. Piccadilly is due to have the equipment installed in the next week or so apparently.

They said mid-November. So I of course replied with "Which November?"

such a cynic lol

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Heading out later to give it another try on with a Waterloo and a Southampton, hopefully logging won't take so long this time!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Only VTEC is using DORIS maybe SWT and EMT view of Envoy had an effect on the decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Or maybe different franchise commitments. After all, SWT is not guaranteed to be a Stagecoach business in the long term. EMT may be similar but I'm not sure how long there franchise has left to run.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

craigybagel

Established Member
ATW have gone live with Star mobile over the last two weeks, with the fnal depots due to go over very shortly.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
ATW have gone live with Star mobile over the last two weeks, with the fnal depots due to go over very shortly.

Certainly on the first few days there were lots of problems with card payments being virtually impossible to take on board and slow transaction times. Arrivals at Shrewsbury usually had queues from the barrier up the staircase to platform level.

Not all the gates at Shrewsbury are QR barcode enabled and there's Ben some problems with charging up the devices. Customer reaction to the roll of paper tickets has not been favourable.

Potato185

Nope, all STARMobile is the same. TfL and bus companies won't accept the new thermal rolls.

Week today and Avantix will be dead.

NX

GWR hasn't announced a replacement or even started any training at all.

trentside

Established Member
I doubt that's everywhere as Worldline asked some operators if they could buy their redundant kit for spares

It's certainly not dead everywhere - I'd anticipate that Avantix won't be fully dead until towards the end of 2017. Certainly our kit is reaching the end of its life and obtaining replacements seems to be becoming an issue, but machines sent away for repair do trickle back eventually!

Parallel

Established Member
Saw one of these STAR machines for the first time a few days ago. ATW guards were using them on the Valley lines - I made a round trip to Merthyr Tydfil.

I like that the receipts at least have an orange border but they seem to print off very large...

Sprinter153

GWR hasn't announced a replacement or even started any training at all.

STAR Mobile is coming and is in use at the moment on the gateline at Oxford and one machine is in use by Reading Assistant Ticket Examiners. I know a few operators that are trained up so training is definitely underway but is a rather large undertaking.

PRT only locations are going to be trained up and implemented first, followed by the mixed CCST and PRT locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.