• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Average time between application and assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Douglas

Hi

I applied to Southeastern for the position of 'Trainee Driver' and submitted my application in August of this year.

I was wondering what peoples experience were regarding how long it took for them to get back to you and let you know the status/result of your application. I have looked at their website but they do not mention this.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
I applied to a TOC as a qualified driver and it took over a year.

nick40uk

How long is a piece of string? In all seriousness it depends. I put in a application with Colas Rail last year and had the first assessments after about a month. I'm currently a shunter with FGW and speaking to one driver he had an 18 month wait between application and assessment.

The key, as anyone will tell you, is patience.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I applied to South Eastern in Sept last year & started in early June this year. I did however get the job offer (subject to medical) in March.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I applied to Greater Anglia in October 2013 and got offered the job October 2014 to start in a few weeks, never thought I'd see it through. Don't give up and keep busy and it will happen!

Memetim

I applied in January, first set of tests were April and I start in November, so it's definitely drawn out!

Memetim

It does appear to be quick for Trainee Drivers from what I have seen, but considering I applied a week before I started for my current position it definitely felt long :)

jamess115

Hi

I applied to Southeastern for the position of 'Trainee Driver' and submitted my application in August of this year.

I was wondering what peoples experience were regarding how long it took for them to get back to you and let you know the status/result of your application. I have looked at their website but they do not mention this.

Thanks.

MR DOUGLAS.. Like you I also applied to this TOC back in August and up until recently, have been chasing the status of my application.

Southeastern appeared to advertise for the role like any other TOC, but what I find interesting is there policy of not responding to applications until such time that they are ready to recruit for a specific depot.

This may not seem unusual, but from an applicants perspective, the assumption is that you will be notified by email whether your initial application has been successful one way or another within say 2 months (MAX). At least this has been the case with other rail operators I have applied with.

Of course, each TOC receives many applications and does things differently but equally, it would be nice to know where you stand.

Just my two cents..

Last edited:

TheVicLine

It's a waiting game and the TOC's are never in a hurry.

I applied July 2012
Started training Feb 2013
Passed out Jan 2014

So it's about 18 months from start till finish, and then you are still only PQA so I wont get full pay until Jan 2015, which will be two and a half years after first applying for the trainee role. But I wouldn't change a thing, it's an absolutely awesome job :D.

rey89iceman

I applied in early December last year for trainee train driver position for FCC. Did my first stage assessments in January, followed by second stage a few weeks later. Final interview around 10th March. Only just heard a couple of weeks ago that I have been offered to start at Bedford on 7th January subject to passing my medical which I am awaiting a date for. Should be in next couple of weeks.

It is a long process and at times it does feel like it is a never ending battle but sit tight and when you hear of your assessment dates ensure that you practise like hell. :lol:

Good luck:D

455driver

Veteran Member
My wife applied for the role of Trainee Train Driver in mid June this year and attended the stage 1 assessment at the end of June.

She was notified she had passed stage 1 at the beginning on July, attended stage 2 assessment the first week of August, and notified she had passed a week later.

She then had a Multi Modal Interview at the start of September and notified she had passed two weeks later.

Towards the end of September she received a formal offer of a place on the Trainee Train Driver course starting in November, on condition she passed the medical (which she subsequently passed at the end of October).

So total time between sending off the application form to starting on the trainee train driver course will be slightly under 5 months. This seems to be fairly quick although she did apply as an internal applicant which may have helped.

Woman always seem to be fast tracked through the process, probably because very few apply (compared to men) and the TOCs want to be seen to be 'equal' opportunity employers so need to get the number of woman in the grade up!

I wont mention my views on how 'equal' (or fair) I think these policies are, there will always be jobs which women (or men in some cases) simply dont want to do or are not suitable to fit around the other things in their lives. In my opinion, trying to have 'equality' in all industries simply wont/cant work.

As an example, how many refuse workers (as a percentage of workforce) are women, how many cleaners (as a percentage of workforce) are men!

387star

On Moderation
All women have to do is flutter their eyelids at male interviewer or talk feminism to a female interviewer right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.