• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
In many parts of the UK I would say unlicenced , uninsured and ultra low IQ drivers are a bigger risk.

It made headlines because of the rarity. Car crashes happen daily, but a plane engine disintegrating over the Atlantic once in a blue moon. Had the plane gone down 500 people would have died. Similar number died in the Mexico earthquake but there are rarely calls to not report earthquakes because car crashes happen daily. Plane crashes are also psychologically more impactful. This wasn't a run of the mill incident. This is uncontained engine failure. Worth reporting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
It made headlines because of the rarity. Car crashes happen daily, but a plane engine disintegrating over the Atlantic once in a blue moon. Had the plane gone down 500 people would have died. Similar number died in the Mexico earthquake but there are rarely calls to not report earthquakes because car crashes happen daily. Plane crashes are also psychologically more impactful. This wasn't a run of the mill incident. This is uncontained engine failure. Worth reporting.

Yeah, fair point. I'll get down off my high horse. Ha ha.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah, fair point. I'll get down off my high horse. Ha ha.

:lol:. Fair play mate. ;)

The passengers just reported a loud bang and then looked out of the window to see that. I don't know much about planes but it seems to have coped very well with the incident.
Must have been a pretty shocking moment for those on board though, to those that know these things - could something like this happening damage a wing to the point of it not being able to fly anymore?

gsnedders

Established Member
:lol:. Fair play mate. ;)

The passengers just reported a loud bang and then looked out of the window to see that. I don't know much about planes but it seems to have coped very well with the incident.
Must have been a pretty shocking moment for those on board though, to those that know these things - could something like this happening damage a wing to the point of it not being able to fly anymore?

United Airlines Flight 232 is the most famous case of an uncontained engine failure leading to near-total loss of control, but still managed to have almost 2/3rds of those onboard survive (in short: the only means they had to control the aircraft was differential thrust across the left/right engines, and they almost, almost, almost landed it okay).

QF32 is the other, previous, uncontained engine failure on an Airbus A380 (though with a totally different model of engine by a different manufacturer), and that did damage the wing and cause various secondary failures. That said, there's enough redundancy on modern aircraft that a single uncontained engine failure is highly unlikely to cause an aircraft to become unflyable.

fowler9

Established Member
Yeah, the Sioux City air crash was awful. When you look at the film of it landing it is incredible that so may people survived.

flymo

Established Member
Bit of drama at HK airport on Monday as a cargo loading vehicle caught fire and set subsequently set fire to some of the cargo and luggage during loading. N727AN is the ship in question and it was AA192. The aircraft is still in HK no doubt getting a once over to see if any damage to the aircraft. Hope the injured worker is OK.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...worker-injured-hong-kong-airport-vehicle-fire

fowler9

Established Member
Bit of drama at HK airport on Monday as a cargo loading vehicle caught fire and set subsequently set fire to some of the cargo and luggage during loading. N727AN is the ship in question and it was AA192. The aircraft is still in HK no doubt getting a once over to see if any damage to the aircraft. Hope the injured worker is OK.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...worker-injured-hong-kong-airport-vehicle-fire

A ground based APU caught fire at JLA the other day next to an Easyjet Belfast flight.

OwlMan

Established Member

from http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/Economy/1.3078330

After an absence from the route of more than nine years, the Flemish airline VLM is to resume flights between Antwerp and London City. VLM will start flying from Antwerp to the airport that is just a couple of kilometres away from London’s financial heart from 28 October.

Up until them the route will be served by the Irish airline CityJet.
There has been a service between Antwerp and London City since 1993. The route was first operated by VLM, but since 2008 the service has been provided by CityJet.

The CEO of Antwerp Airport Marcel Buelens told journalists that he is pleased that VLM is taking over the route.

“The Antwerp-London City Airport route is of great importance as it connect two of Europe most important commercial centres. In the past we have proved that this route is the quickest alternative for business and leisure travelers alike. Both airports benefit from short check-in times and are near to the city centre”.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Big news from the court of appeal- you can now claim compensation up to eur600 if you miss a connecting flight on a non EU airline.

E.g delayed LHR- Dubai and miss connection Dubai- Sydney you can claim. Details on Alex Macheras twitter feed.

atillathehunn

Established Member
The court case is great news - very useful. Does it apply the other way around, too? So SYD-DXB-LHR is delayed on EK and you receive the compensation?

atillathehunn

Established Member
Interesting article. The idea of using 747s for internal flights in a country the size of Germany amuses me! Munich to Frankfurt in particular.
Japan always used to have 747s doing very short hops as well of similar length. Good on Lufthansa on expanding capacity when AirBerlin folded. Berlin doesn't get too many wide body services, so this will make a change.

Takeoff with that little fuel in will be.. fun!

Yes I would imagine it go will like the proverbial off a shovel

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Japan always used to have 747s doing very short hops as well of similar length. Good on Lufthansa on expanding capacity when AirBerlin folded. Berlin doesn't get too many wide body services, so this will make a change.

Interesting thanks!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting article. The idea of using 747s for internal flights in a country the size of Germany amuses me! Munich to Frankfurt in particular.

Much more efficient to use a larger aircraft less frequently than a smaller one more frequently, surely? BA use 767s on some domestics, though those admittedly are not quite as big!

Jetlagged

Lufthansa are looking for 1,000 more cabin attendants to crew their A380's which will start to fly from Munich next spring.

Item courtesy of Air Transport World here.

theageofthetra

On Moderation

Didn't Japan used to have some old rule that said you needed 4 engines to fly certain routes there?- I think thats why that little BAE STOL jet had 4 small engines with their market in mind?

fowler9

Established Member
Didn't Japan used to have some old rule that said you needed 4 engines to fly certain routes there?- I think thats why that little BAE STOL jet had 4 small engines with their market in mind?
Never heard that and cannot find anything about it using Google. I thought it was just high densities of passengers on certain routes at certain times of the day.

atillathehunn

Established Member
My upcoming BA flight has just changed from a 777 to a 747, happy days. While the non super Hi Js are a bit ratty there's something about a jumbo jet... Though on a route for which such a plane is required.

fowler9

Established Member
My upcoming BA flight has just changed from a 777 to a 747, happy days. While the non super Hi Js are a bit ratty there's something about a jumbo jet... Though on a route for which such a plane is required.
Result. There is something about a Jumbo as you say. Where are you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.