• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baby Deltic replica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
That's a really fascinating project, great to hear that it's making progress, I would love to be able to see and hear an operating "Baby Deltic" (Far too young to have seen them first time round).

Plus 37372 is one of my favourite 37s, so it's good to see that it will live on in some form, and is contributing to such a worthy cause. I wonder where they found that last remaining power unit?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I had just wondered about this this morning so very ironic. It is very good news :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
That's a really fascinating project, great to hear that it's making progress, I would love to be able to see and hear an operating "Baby Deltic" (Far too young to have seen them first time round).

Plus 37372 is one of my favourite 37s, so it's good to see that it will live on in some form, and is contributing to such a worthy cause. I wonder where they found that last remaining power unit?

The unit was acquired from the NRM a few years ago. Buy the book and you can read all about it! ;) (blatent plug I know!)

E&W Lucas

Established Member
But how close will the finished result actually be to a Baby Deltic? Traction motors employed, interior layout, boiler, etc? Or is it just a collection of redundant components spliced together, to create a "box" that looks something like one? Not knocking the idea in principle, as it could open the door to other diesel recreations.

Neu O

It will not be a Bay Deltic in the original sense, rather it will be a replica aiming to produce the ambience of A Baby Deltic, the fact that is a mix of parts that will have been used on other types of loco is not truly important, if they can create something that looks and sounds the part that is what matters.

I see hope in this in that once lessons have been learn't from this project it might be possible to recreate replica of other long lost locos using redundant bodyshells and parts sourced from elsewhere., one example might be to built a replica of either a North British Class 21 or Class 29, Class 309 Motor bogies (if any are still available) look similar to Class 21/29 bogies, and I believe that the Paxman Ventura engine was used on some Italian locomotives so suitable Engine/Generator sets might still be available.

Other possibilities might be a replica of one of the LMS twins (although suitable bogies might not be available}.

Just a thought.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I had one distant sighting (and sounding) of D5901 at Crewe in 1974 when it ran around a test train near Crewe South Signal Box, I was at least a couple of hundred yards away at the time but it still sounded impressive:D

Back in the early 60s, I had a Lone Star train set and one of the locos type Lone Star modelled was the Baby Deltic although at the time I wished it was a D200 (Class 40) that they had modelled!

Last edited:

Bittern

Established Member
Other possibilities might be a replica of one of the LMS twins (although suitable bogies might not be available}.

Scrapping them was just plain vandalism. They (or at least one of) should've been destined for the NRM.

Neu O

Back in the late 1960s I did actually write a letter to Railway Magazine giving a list of diesels I thought were deserving of preservation, it did not get published and I received a reply from RM saying that such an idea was preposterous and no railway enthusiasts would ever support such an idea! :(

Of course about five years later we did get a start to diesel preservation with the first Warship being preserved and I believe that approaches around that time were made to Brush (but rejected) to preserve Falcon.

Another misfortune was around 1980 when two NBL built diesels still survived at Barry but were cut up, surely either the Class 21 or the A1A Warship could have been saved, even in a highly derelict state a bodyshell at least could have been saved for long term restoration as a static exibit as the sole surviving NBL built mainline diesel.

If you think back to the mid 1960s one of the original Shildon 1,500 volts Bo-Bo electric locos of 1914 still survived in a modified form, having been used as a shunter at Ilford, this again was a lost opportunity to save an historic locomotive, instead it was consigned to the scrapheap. And then in around 1970 all three of the Southern Railway built Co-Co electric locos were also scrapped.

Last edited:

Bittern

Established Member
Back in the late 1960s I did actually write a letter to Railway Magazine giving a list of diesels I thought were deserving of preservation, it did not get published and I received a reply from RM saying that such an idea was preposterous and no railway enthusiasts would ever support such an idea! :(

Seems the 60s were full of short-sightedness when it came to the railways.

Neu O

In the late 60s there were quite a few letters in the railway press suggesting that once withdrawn diesels should be quickly and quietly scrapped, indeed there were some similar comments about BR standard steam locos. Sadly this attitude resulted in the loss of all examples of significant types such as the Clans and the Swindon designed standards, along with an understanding of what the machines were intended to do (how many people realise for example that the Clans were considered as a possible alternative to rebuilding the SR light pacifics?).

Another comment from Hamilton-Ellis I think was about how services from Euston were worked by what as "Basically one class of electric loco", something that later I learnt when working on the railway was entirely false.True the Class 81 and 85 were very alike, but the Class 82, 83 and 84s were all very different machines that behaved and performed differently and even the standard Class 86s ended up being split into three separate sub classes that each performed differently. Again the later Class 87s and Class 90s were also different machines with a character all of their own.

There was some speculation on one model rail forum, the components to build a reasonable Kestrel replica still exist. I gather some engines were built as a powerplant for French power stations in the 1960s, and Kestrel herself had been fitted with Class 47 bogies at one point. Whether anyone actually NEEDS a 4000hp locomotive for preserved lines is another matter. I imagine it would be useful to haul freight on the Churnet valley railway :)

As for the Baby Deltic, good luck to them. If its a success, hopefully it will open the door on the recreation of some of the BR prototypes. I wonder if its feasible to fit a gas turbine back in BR 18000 while they are at it?

Neu O

I understand that at one stage they did look at fitting 18000 with a Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engine.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Off tangent I hve found a Mirlees Blackstone MB190 for sale as only about 50 were built in various cylinder configurations, could this be one of the engines that were fitted for a short period to four of the HST power cars

http://www.buydieselengines.co.uk/stock/

The Decapod

Britain isn't a country; it's an island made up of three countries. So when you mention "the country", please make it clear which of the three you're on about.
I'm British and to me it's 'one island, one country!'

Jordy

Established Member
The Decapod: That is not relevant to this thread, if you wish to comment on peoples signatures please do it privately. Cheers.

deltic1989

Established Member
It would be fun to see a DP2 replica, all you need is a deltic body and class 50 meccanics. (*ducks and waits for fellow deltic lovers to throw things at me*)

Status
Not open for further replies.