• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann class 444: Do you want to see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:idea:At the moment, Bachmann have been focusing on their class 170's which is fair enough but i would really like to see some more modern and currently used trains like the desiro's around at the moment especially the class 444 in SWT livery and the class 375 in southern livery.

I run a small modern image layout based and run in the south by South West trains SWT and yet do not have any official south trains running on the layout other than a Virgin Voyager class 222.

If anyone from bachmann does see this, please make some EMU loco's in a southern or SWT livery!

What do you think and would you agree with my comment?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
A) No more 375s carry the Southern livery

But I wouldn't mind see a 450/444 around :)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
You could get a Class 411 4-CEP as they operated on the South-West of the Southern Region in there later days, they are £129.99 RRP.

Last edited:
the main problem of this is that few people model modern day railways, most of the market is:

GWR, the transition period between steam and diesel, other pre nationalisation companies, modern image, pre nationalisation southern region, modern image southern region, pre grouping, victorian

this is my estimate of the current market, most popular first

Established Member
The likelihood of a RTR modern SR EMU ever being made is very low sadly.

They made a Networker aswell. I don't think the SR should really be moaning as having that and the CEP is twice as many RTR EMUs than the other regions have had put together..

StewieG

:idea:At the moment, Bachmann have been focusing on their class 170's which is fair enough but i would really like to see some more modern and currently used trains like the desiro's around at the moment especially the class 444 in SWT livery and the class 375 in southern livery.

I run a small modern image layout based and run in the south by South West trains SWT and yet do not have any official south trains running on the layout other than a Virgin Voyager class 222.

If anyone from bachmann does see this, please make some EMU loco's in a southern or SWT livery!

Sorry to be pedantic... But Virgin only ever operated 220/1's

Sorry to be pedantic... But Virgin only ever operated 220/1's

Ok I'm proving not to be very good at this sorry. I suppose above is right there is a greater market to older railways but there is no doubt there is a market for modern image like Stroley International which is a perfect example

SussexSpotter

Bachmann and Hornby need to focus more on Southern region EMU's, both modern and heritage stock. There is a real gap in the market for this stuff nowadays and is certainly in demand.

The most popular and most profitable EMU's would be:

Class 442 (NSE, SWT, Gatwick Express)
Class 444 (SWT)
Class 450 (SWT)
Class 377 (Southern)
Class 375 (Southeastern)
Class 465 (Southeastern)
4-Cig (SWT, Connex, Network South East)

Don't think any others than the ones above would sell particularly well as these are currently the most demanded and sort after models, especcailly the Desiros, Electrostars and the 442's.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
the main problem of this is that few people model modern day railways, most of the market is:

GWR, the transition period between steam and diesel, other pre nationalisation companies, modern image, pre nationalisation southern region, modern image southern region, pre grouping, victorian

this is my estimate of the current market, most popular first

I'll have to disagree with you there, modelling era's are quite evenly spread out amongst different generations there is no particular favourite. There are plenty of modern image modellers these days.

I'll have to disagree with you there, modelling era's are quite evenly spread out amongst different generations there is no particular favourite. There are plenty of modern image modellers these days.
they probably are, I probably used the wrong methods, I just used the railway modeller and the few exhibitions I have been to to form a rough estimate

Bachmann and Hornby need to focus more on Southern region EMU's, both modern and heritage stock. There is a real gap in the market for this stuff nowadays and is certainly in demand.

The most popular and most profitable EMU's would be:

Class 442 (NSE, SWT, Gatwick Express)
Class 444 (SWT)
Class 450 (SWT)
Class 377 (Southern)
Class 375 (Southeastern)
Class 465 (Southeastern)
4-Cig (SWT, Connex, Network South East)

Don't think any others than the ones above would sell particularly well as these are currently the most demanded and sort after models, especcailly the Desiros, Electrostars and the 442's.

I agree there are many modern image layouts. Also, The trains above are the most seen and popular and would probably make the best on the market. Whilst the new Hornby Javelin is nice to look at, it's not really suited to any amateurs modern image layout. Mine is based in the south so would probably never see a javelin so unless someone has made St Pancreas (?) they're a bit useless. Then again, Hornby has never really had as good a market for modern image as Bachmann who i would want to persuade to design the above.

Also, Desiro's are more popular around the south of the country and midlands but Hornby and Bachmann continue to produce these unused and rare trains puerly because they look good and will attract a different market which is fair enough but the desiro's would attract buyers from the modern image market.

Last edited by a moderator:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There aren't many OO gauge modern image modellers for the South East because there are few RTR models and few low budget kits (my 319s cost over £250 each and they are not perfect!, and because of this, manufacturers are less willing to explore that area of the market.

If one of them did a 313, they could quite easily model the 314, 315, 507 and 508. If they did a 317 then logical follow-ons would be 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 and 455.

As I recall the only modern stock for SWT is/was three 159s (NSE, NSE/SWT, SWT), a 170 and a class 73. Not exactly an extensive range and whilst you could add Bratchell's 455 kit, each one would set you back over £250 with motors.

SussexSpotter

I agree there are many modern image layouts. Also, The trains above are the most seen and popular and would probably make the best on the market. Whilst the new Hornby Javelin is nice to look at, it's not really suited to any amateurs modern image layout. Mine is based in the south so would probably never see a javelin so unless someone has made St Pancreas (?) they're a bit useless. Then again, Hornby has never really had as good a market for modern image as Bachmann who i would want to persuade to design the above.

Also, Desiro's are more popular around the south of the country and midlands but Hornby and Bachmann continue to produce these unused and rare trains puerly because they look good and will attract a different market which is fair enough but the desiro's would attract buyers from the modern image market.

We need to see some more modern Southern wagon stock too such as Mendip Rail JNA's and Hanson JHA's. Why is it always Coal and C.E stock all the time? BORING!!!!

Established Member
Well, there is a Class 423 4-VEP being released from Hornby in 2010, including one in NSE livery :)

Dave R

I always thought a common design such as an electrostar (375/6/7/8/9) or desiro (350/360/444/450) would produce a wide variety of models relitively cheaply. Nice to see that modellers are starting to focus on multiple units eg. Hornby's 153, 395, 423 and bachmann's 150 & 411 aswell as their current 158s & 170s. I'm also surprised why they aren't releasing post-privitisation liveries on the southern EMUs

CROMPTON 33

I model in OO. southern region BR blue here is a list of kit's you can get.2 bil.2 epb.2 hal. 2 hap. 2 sap. 4 bep .4 big. 4 buf. 4 cep. 4 cig. 4 cor. 4 dd. 4 epb.4 lav. 4 pul. 4 rep. 4 sub. 4 tc. 4 vep. 5 bec. 6 cor. 319. 442 parts only. 455. 456. 488 parts only. 466. 317. 318. 320.321. 322. mlv. DEMU. 201. 205. 207. hope this list help's some of you. please pm me if you want more info. some of these kit's are made in resin or brass. :roll:

I've found out that bachmann have bought out class 350 desiro model in three london liveries. Whilst not quite my favored livery, a step in the right direction! Also, aern't the class 350's generally five car trains?
Oh and it's their first third rail (and technically with capability of a pantograph to overhead lines) locomotive so far. Maybe we shall start to see new things from bachmann??

Oh and it's their first third rail (and technically with capability of a pantograph to overhead lines) locomotive so far. Maybe we shall start to see new things from bachmann??
I didn't know that the
*grabs bachmann catalogue*
class 411 4CEP and class 416 2EPB wee not 3rd rail fitted, most strange [/sarcasm]
oh btw they are units not locos

atomicdanny

There was an SWT 170 though as well! (I have one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2IPveua8Iw

Although I definately agree with the Southern and SWT (and more in SE), although as for the desiros, the 350s are almost the same as the 450s if i'm not mistaken so hopefully bachmann might see that as well!

Personally I'm hoping for

Class 365 (3rd rail or OHE) in either Connex, NSE or FCC
Class 465 in either NSE, Connex or South Eastern

Fincra5

Established Member
Bachmann will be doing a 350 in LM and Sliver/blue liveries. THis could leave it open for a SWT 450, However they probably wont do one.

fgwrich

Established Member
There was an SWT 170 though as well! (I have one!)

Aswell as Model Zones limited edition Southern 171...

First edition is the rarer and more pricier model...and generally better than the over the top, Weathered 2nd batch version...

Have one from the first non weathered batch...looks smart, but lacks the correct headlight clusters...

atomicdanny

Aswell as Model Zones limited edition Southern 171...

First edition is the rarer and more pricier model...and generally better than the over the top, Weathered 2nd batch version...

Have one from the first non weathered batch...looks smart, but lacks the correct headlight clusters...

I have the second version, although they are both probably on ebay for about £300+ though!

LucaZone

With the introduction of a Class 350, one can hope that if it sells well then a similar pattern of 170 releases should follow suit such as the 450 (remove panto/add shoes) and 360/1 & /2 (swap cab end (if the model has been designed well enough).

I think a 185 or 444 are off the cards as variants of the 350 model, as they require substantial alteration to the body to make then, effectively resulting in a new model.

Definately, the next 170 style MU release should be the Electrostars.

Status
Not open for further replies.