• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann class 444: Do you want to see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 158 Man

I think a 185 or 444 are off the cards as variants of the 350 model, as they require substantial alteration to the body to make then, effectively resulting in a new model.

Believe me, the 185s are definitley on the cards, within a couple of years. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Well talking of Class 465 'Networkers', a NSE Class 466 'Networker' (2 car version) is/ should be avalible in modelzone now, I'm getting my one soon. Some expert modellers have also converted theres to the full 4 car Class 465.

atomicdanny

Last edited:

whoshotjimmi

My opinion is that the model railway makers do not provide enough modern image. Sure, there is a huge demand for nostalgia but, every time i go to an exhibition, there is a distinct lack of modern image, which means that the next generation of modellers are now being catered for. Hence, the hobby could go backwards.

Other than that, would the recent announcement of the Bachmann 350 not mean there is scope for other desiros? 185, 444, 450 being those in my mind. After all, bachmann AND hornby have suddenly ignited interest in the southern region electrics.......

LucaZone

Other than that, would the recent announcement of the Bachmann 350 not mean there is scope for other desiros? 185, 444, 450 being those in my mind.

One can hope that if it sells well then a similar pattern of 170 releases should follow suit such as the 450 (remove panto/add shoes) and 360/1 & /2 (swap cab end (if the model has been designed well enough).

I think a 185 or 444 are off the cards as variants of the 350 model, as they require substantial alteration to the body to make then, effectively resulting in a new model.

Definately, the next 170 style MU release should be the Electrostars.

Fincra5

Established Member
Well i was suprised that bachamnn announced a 350 instead of a 377, given they have the tooling for a turbostar.

whoshotjimmi

Well i was suprised that bachamnn announced a 350 instead of a 377, given they have the tooling for a turbostar.

Surely the 350 fills a much bigger hole in the market, though?

Lots of West Midlands stock floating around with the gaps being the EMU's. The 350 would fill that beautifully. Perhaps also with catenery becoming more widely available off the shelf, it now makes a bit more sense?

I can't see what else on the RTR market compliments the 377.

Fincra5

Established Member
Surely the 350 fills a much bigger hole in the market, though?

Lots of West Midlands stock floating around with the gaps being the EMU's. The 350 would fill that beautifully. Perhaps also with catenery becoming more widely available off the shelf, it now makes a bit more sense?

I can't see what else on the RTR market compliments the 377.

Almost all stock is set for the north and midlands, what do we have for EMUs and DMUs for us in the South? Apart from limited edtions 466s and 171s, also 411s and 395s (Route restriced), all we have is steam. Its about time we got some modern EMUs, 3rd rail is easy to apply to a layout compared to OHLE.

Class377/5

Established Member
I for one would like to see both some 350 and a 377. Both are units I'd like to have. Once you get a Electrostar model you can suddenly get a lot of other models for the southeast (375, 376, 377, 378 & 357's).

Then again I'd like atleast one of each of those! Especially a 377/5. But maybe if the 350 are popluar other recent EMU's will follow.

Bittern

Established Member
the main problem of this is that few people model modern day railways, most of the market is:

GWR, the transition period between steam and diesel, other pre nationalisation companies, modern image, pre nationalisation southern region, modern image southern region, pre grouping, victorian

this is my estimate of the current market, most popular first

Kinda gutted about the extreme lack of pre-grouping models. I wouldn't mind owning a few Caledonian Railway locos and coaching stock myself. I mean, they have some kind of repainted Smokey Joe (were they even real locos?) in CR livery, but that's it! I'm sure there was a limited release of no. 123, but that's a poor number of releases.

Kinda gutted about the extreme lack of pre-grouping models. I wouldn't mind owning a few Caledonian Railway locos and coaching stock myself. I mean, they have some kind of repainted Smokey Joe (were they even real locos?) in CR livery, but that's it! I'm sure there was a limited release of no. 123, but that's a poor number of releases.
the attached file may please you?
the only problem is, AFAIK hornby don't make these any more, but it kinda looks like their smokey joe

Attachments

• 2010-07-03-181234.jpg
    2010-07-03-181234.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 20

Bittern

Established Member
There's a model of something similar that out now in the Caledonian livery.

r26724040.jpg

Then there was this beauty as a limited release.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Kinda gutted about the extreme lack of pre-grouping models. I wouldn't mind owning a few Caledonian Railway locos and coaching stock myself. I mean, they have some kind of repainted Smokey Joe (were they even real locos?) in CR livery, but that's it!
Yes they were real locos. They were the Caledonian Railway 811 class, built in 1895, so the Caledonian Railway livery carried by the Hornby model is actually one of the few that is authentic. Hornby have modelled number 270 at various points over the years, which I belive was the first loco of the class. They passed to the ownership of the LMS, and 8 (or was it 11?) of them survived into BR service in the 1950s, with one located at Crewe works (the only one to escape Scotland!) and another at St. Rollox.

I too would be interested in seeing more pre-grouping locos and carriages, particularly from the Caledonian, Highland or North Eastern Railways. They had some very attractive loco designs, and Caledonian blue and North eastern apple green are two of my favourite liveries!

The Highland Railway livery worn by the Caledonian Pug General Vegitable has posted a pic of is fictitious; blue tank engines have always sold well over the years; and is one of two models Hornby did in that style on the Caledonian Pug, the other was No.8 "Loch Ness". It does make for an attractive little model though, and they're pretty easy to pick up secondhand. :)

Last edited:

chris87uk

Should do a class 375/377/379

Class 377 in southern and first capital connect liveries
Class 375 in southeastern livery
and Class 379 with a minor difference with the windows for stansted express livery

TheWalrus

Established Member
YES YES YES! I would love to see it!

Bachmann are making a 350 which is very similar to a 450, so they could easily make one of those. 377s are similar to 170s so one of those could be good. 175s and 180s are similar, so a new mould and a load of them would also be good. If bachmann are making one desiro, they could really go to town and make a 185, 444, 450. And for heaven's sake it's about time they released a 180! And some meridians as these are similar to voyagers.

PS you should have polled this!

Status
Not open for further replies.