• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad manners on the roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
Can you actually get a car that is as slow as a top speed of 62.5mph?
I had a courtesy car daewoo matiz a few years ago which was only an 800cc engine, and that could do 80+mph, and i'm sure was one of the slowest cars available in britain,

Probably the most likely would be an early Land Rover (series' 1 2 and 3), there a quite a few others, but they are classics/vintage now, and rarely seen at all, and if they are, are unlikely to be driven by a learner tbh.

NLC1072

An elder lady pulled out infront of me on the a127 at roughly 30mph on a 60mph limit road and her excuse was 'I was indicating' so I said back 'if you'd of knocked me off it would of been ok because you were indicating then?' to which she gave me the blankest I don't understand expression... I think compulsory tests every 3 years for the over 60's is in order. Sorry to offend if I have! PS I ride a motorbike

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
I think compulsory tests every 3 years for the over 60's is in order.

I'd go further than that and say all drivers should be required to re-take their test every few years. (In fact why not make the driving test as stringent as a train driver's assessment).

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I'd go further than that and say all drivers should be required to re-take their test every few years. (In fact why not make the driving test as stringent as a train driver's assessment).

Because that would be stupid and costly and serve very little purpose other than to destroy the economy of the country. Many people rely on cars, rail staff who work unsociable hours for one, yet many would not be able to pass a train driver assessment. Remember bus drivers too would be in the same catagory, which would cause bus fares to shoot up due to increased training costs and higher wages. There would also be a massive loss in the economies of scale when it came to road transport, pushing the costs of everything up. The majority of people would be confined to the cities and big towns, the countryside would become a playground for the rich. Basically it's a communist (of the worst kinds) wet dream, but a nightmare for everyone else.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I can see the value in a refresher course, where you don't actually stand to fail - but must reach a certain standard to - perhaps - ensure a bigger discount on car insurance. (Well, more likely you'd have a compulsory xx% levy if you didn't have the latest refresher course marked on your 'account').

Unlike pass plus, you'd have to do this every 5-10 years or the insurance premiums would go up - no matter how much you shopped around (as it would be a levy put on the premium price set by the underwriter).

At the very least, the DVLA should be sending every registered driver updates on new laws, road signs, changes to rules on an annual basis. You can't force people to read, but it would help enforcement agencies because they could at least argue that you had an obligation to read it all.

I don't see why you get a licence with NO conditions attached (at least not until you lose your licence for something serious).

mbonwick

Established Member
Remember bus drivers too would be in the same catagory, which would cause bus fares to shoot up due to increased training costs and higher wages.

They already are, sort of - the driver CPC requires 35 hours of training every 5 years. While this may not sound like a lot (7 hours per year), it soon adds up.
GearJammer will know more about it I'm sure.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
They already are, sort of - the driver CPC requires 35 hours of training every 5 years. While this may not sound like a lot (7 hours per year), it soon adds up.

CPC only applies to certain people though. For example, in the Ambulance service, whilst you would hold a C1 and the IHCD D1&D2, you do not have to do the CPC as driving is not considered the core part of the role.

anthony263

Established Member

Also doesnt apply, if you are driving PCV's for preservation and not for award. Also the drivers cpc doesnt apply for, say someone who may job is scaffolding and driving the lorry is not the main part of their job.

I know it is only 35 hours training over 5 years but as someone has already said it does add up,especially if companies have got to give staff time off to do the training.

I know where i worked it did cause a driver shortage on a saturday and 1 route we did had only 3 buses in service compared to 5 normally add to the fact we all had to have our 45 minute breaks .

This did cause a headache for the managers, who in fact to help had to spend the day driving buses much to the other staff's amusement.

Finally this morning while doing a school service, i nearly had a smash with a rangerover who tried to barge their way through a narrow gap and then played hell with me because i could get passed. I suspect i might get called in by my boss as she said she was reporting me because i called her a stupid woman driver (seriously short brown haired woman driving a large rangrover and can barely see over the stearing wheel and too busy doing makeup etc)

Zoe

Established Member
You have to retake the theory test every two years until you pass the practical so this keeps you up to date. Why does this only apply before you pass the practical? There's nothing to stop you passing your test and not driving for 20 years during which time rules may have changed.

Here's a perfect example of severely bad manners ...

I was cycling into Sheerness this morning along the A250 (the only road from Halfway to Sheerness) - coming up to the junction with St George's Avenue, I'm cycling along nicely, about 10 minutes to get my train, no rush, I see a car approach the junction turning right from St George's Avenue, he slows down a touch, sees me, then as I vastly approach the junction, decides to pull out in front of me! I nearly brake hard, he got so close to me I felt like hitting his car as I could reach it! I slow down a little bit, look behind and shout at him - he just carried on, I was a little shaken but otherwise ok.

I dread to think what might've happened if I was late and was going faster and the same thing happened ...

Minilad

Established Member
Here's a perfect example of severely bad manners ...

I was cycling into Sheerness this morning along the A250 (the only road from Halfway to Sheerness) - coming up to the junction with St George's Avenue, I'm cycling along nicely, about 10 minutes to get my train, no rush, I see a car approach the junction turning right from St George's Avenue, he slows down a touch, sees me, then as I vastly approach the junction, decides to pull out in front of me! I nearly brake hard, he got so close to me I felt like hitting his car as I could reach it! I slow down a little bit, look behind and shout at him - he just carried on, I was a little shaken but otherwise ok.

I dread to think what might've happened if I was late and was going faster and the same thing happened ...

Is that bad manners. Or just rubbish driving

richw

Veteran Member
There's nothing to stop you passing your test and not driving for 20 years during which time rules may have changed.

There is... every 10 years you need to renew the licence, if you dont drive or intend to, is it worth renewing, No testing required just a new photo,and about £20 fee

Zoe

Established Member
There is... every 10 years you need to renew the licence, if you dont drive or intend to, is it worth renewing, No testing required just a new photo,and about £20 fee
Only the photocard needs renewing, not all of the licence unless a short licence has been issued. This does not stop you passing the test and not driving for 20 years.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Only the photocard needs renewing, not all of the licence unless a short licence has been issued. This does not stop you passing the test and not driving for 20 years.

You have to send the photocard and paper bit back, If you dont drive though, would you deem it worth spending money doing that?

Zoe

Established Member
You have to send the photocard and paper bit back, If you dont drive though, would you deem it worth spending money doing that?
What does that have to do with the fact that you can pass the test and the not drive for 20 years?

richw

Veteran Member
What does that have to do with not driving for 20 years?

If you dont drive, would you choose to spend money renewing your licence every 10 years? Exactly what you quoted and replied to, that i then quoted your reply.

If i didnt use my licence i wouldnt bother paying to renew it, therefore if i dont renew it after 10 years, i wont have a licence no more. so would have to be retested after 20 years of not driving

Zoe

Established Member
so would have to be retested after 20 years of not driving
No you would not, the licence is valid until you are 70 unless for some reason you have been issued with a short licence, this is not what you are renewing. You are renewing your photocard and it is actually an offence not to renew your photocard so you would be breaking the law by not doing so.

richw

Veteran Member
No you would not, the licence is valid until you are 70 unless for some reason you have been issued with a short licence. It is actually an offence not to renew your photocard so you would be breaking the law by not doing so.

No your only breaking the law if you drive with an out of date photocard, therefore if your photocard is out of date, you have an invalid licence. You do not have to renew it after 10 years, however you can no longer drive if you dont renew it.

Zoe

Established Member
You do not have to renew it after 10 years, however you can no longer drive if you dont renew it.
Your licence though is still valid until you are 70, this would still be on record so when you applied for a photocard it would still be a full licence.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No your only breaking the law if you drive with an out of date photocard, therefore if your photocard is out of date, you have an invalid licence. You do not have to renew it after 10 years, however you can no longer drive if you dont renew it.
It is an offence if you don't update the photocard. If after 10 years you are not going to drive and you do not want to renew the photocard then you should surrender the licence or you could be charged with "Failing to surrender licence."

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Your licence though is still valid until you are 70, this would still be on record so when you applied for a photocard it would still be a full licence.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Failing to keep your licence up to date is an offence, this also includes change of name/address.

And your also not permitted to drive with out of date photo/ address etc. It invalidates the licence. However if you are not using it, then there is no offence having it out of date. but needs to be back in date before you drive again. However if your photo is over a year out of date, they will revoke your licence and you have to retake tests. if you dont drive for 20 years, this will apply for you unless you renew your licence on time.

Zoe

Established Member
However if your photo is over a year out of date, they will revoke your licence and you have to retake tests. if you dont drive for 20 years, this will apply for you unless you renew your licence on time.
No, not renewing the photocard does NOT remove the entitlements, not doing so is an offence. If you don't renew your photocard you can be charged with "failing to surrender licence" if you really don't want to drive then you should surrender the licence.

The Road Traffic Act 1988 requires that you surrender a photocard licence 10 years after the date of issue and failure to do this is an offence. The act does not say that it is only an offence if you drive.

As for the order to retake your tests if you don't renew, I have not seen anything stating this but I will look into it. If this is the case then I would expect people to pay the £20 even if they don't drive as it would be much cheaper than having to take all tests again if in the next 10 years they needed to drive so there is still the situation where someone can pass the test and not drive for 20 years.

Last edited:
You give way to whichever way has priority.

Before and up to the junction the A250 is two way traffic - after the junction it is a one way road until some traffic lights to a cross junction - does this affect anything?

I don't know the Highway Code that well being a non-driver (soon to be rectified).

Butts

Veteran Member
No, not renewing the photocard does NOT remove the entitlements, not doing so is an offence. If you don't renew your photocard you can be charged with "failing to surrender licence" if you really don't want to drive then you should surrender the licence.

If you've still got an old paper one without the photocard you should be ok till 70.

As far as I am aware there is no compulsion to have a photocard licence in these circumstances.

GearJammer

I'll try keeping this CPC thing short.....

All HGV/PCV drivers must by (off the top of my head Sep 2014) have completed 35 hours of training, each class being 7 hours long (day corse) you can do either 5 corses in a week, or do 1 day a year etc etc, just so long as you have done 35 hours over 5 years.

Corses vary, you can do a corse on.... for example, Tacho laws, Safe Loading, Fuel efficient driving, weight distribution Driving hours and other HGV/PCV related topics......

Now heres where it all becomes a complete joke and a waste of time.......

1, You can't fail, you only have to turn up to the class, you can arrive, sit at the back of the classroom and fall asleep (quite likely for HGV drivers) and still count that towards your 35 hours training.

2, If you decide to do the training over a week you can (in theory) on day one take a corse on Tacho laws, thats your first 7 hours.
On day two you can do the same corse on..........TACHO LAWS, theres your 14 hours.
On day three you can do the same corse on........TACHO LAWS, theres your 21 hours.
On day four you can do the same corse on......... well im sure you get the picture, and don't forget you don't have to pass a test to pass, you merely have to turn up to aquire your 35 hours training!

Also this 'quilification' is the drivers responsibility to get, don't ask me how much it costs coz i don't know, ive not yet started it, but you tell me another profession where the employee has to pay for a quilification to keep working coz if you don't have it by September 2014 you can't drive a HGV/PCV, the reality is as far as im aware, is that the Transport companies are paying for there drivers to do the CPC at the moment, but it only seems to be the big companies that are doing it.

As things stand at the moment, not enough HGV drivers are doing the training to all be quilified to drive after 2014, everybody is leaving it untill the last minute, by which time all the classes will be booked up, this will (again in theory) leave a massive HGV driver shortage, all the older drivers in the industry are'nt even thinking about doing it, they intend to retire (and who can blame them, some have drivin trucks for 40 years and are now being told how to suck eggs and that they need to be quilified) and don't think the situation will be cured by getting foreign drivers in, coz they will need to be quilified to!

Roll on 2014 i say, because if the driver shortage is as bad as predicted you may all realise how much your lives depend on trucks being on the road, .........unless some of you are still living on cloud cookoo land thinking the train can take the strain!

Rant over!

Zoe

Established Member
Roll on 2014 i say, because if the driver shortage is as bad as predicted you may all realise how much your lives depend on trucks being on the road, .........unless some of you are still living on cloud cookoo land thinking the train can take the strain!
I hear new truck drivers saying they can't get any work though as the companies will only employ drivers with experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.