• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barriers not accepting Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpjs

So, I’m sat on the 10.41 TfL Rail at Paddington where the barriers were all open but more problematically weren’t accepting touch-in from Oyster card (they all read “tickets only” and did not respond to a card touch). I asked a TfL Rail staff member who wasn’t able to help.

I guess when I get to Heathrow the barrier there will charge me the maximum fare, which should be the correct one. And if I run into any RPIs I guess I’ll be able to report back on what exactly happens if they try to PF or report someone with a foreign address!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I asked a TfL Rail staff member who wasn’t able to help.
I thought they would have directed you to use an alternative validator. In any case, if the system was down they should have a report of it so you're unlikely to receive much bother.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So, I’m sat on the 10.41 TfL Rail at Paddington where the barriers were all open but more problematically weren’t accepting touch-in from Oyster card (they all read “tickets only” and did not respond to a card touch). I asked a TfL Rail staff member who wasn’t able to help.

I guess when I get to Heathrow the barrier there will charge me the maximum fare, which should be the correct one. And if I run into any RPIs I guess I’ll be able to report back on what exactly happens if they try to PF or report someone with a foreign address!
If you are on P5 (as RTT suggests) then your train is on a normally long distance platform that isn’t set up for Oyster. Staff should be well aware of that. It’s what the ‘tickets only’ means.

_toommm_

Established Member
If you do receive a max fare, phone them up and explain the dilemma. Other members on this forum have reported good experiences with their call centre.

rpjs

If you are on P5 (as RTT suggests) then your train is on a normally long distance platform that isn’t set up for Oyster. Staff should be well aware of that. It’s what the ‘tickets only’ means.

Yes it was. I also tried the barriers at 2-3. Actually thinking about it, I think where I was trying to “touch in” on the barriers was actually a blank with no actual card reader.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are some standalone barriers at Paddington but probably not near those platforms.

The chances are the system will auto-correct and assume you’ve travelled from Paddington.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The barriers on platforms 2-5 have no Oyster readers, this is because they are normally used for long distance services that don't stop in the zones (first stop Slough/Maidenhead/Reading)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not that much more considering the touch in was attempted at a barrier without a card reader!
Well yes, put like that, but I expect it really has been quite a long term issue on Sundays, when inner suburban trains use different platforms, and staff should definitely be aware.

In a few weeks there’ll be readers and barriers on the HEx platforms as well, which conjures up the scenario where trains will be moved and PAYG charges will be wrong. Predictable but you can bet staff will be the last to work it out...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The barriers on platforms 2-5 have no Oyster readers, this is because they are normally used for long distance services that don't stop in the zones (first stop Slough/Maidenhead/Reading)

I thought there was a standalone validator located round there somewhere? Not that I'm sure it's location is very obvious, of course!

TFN

If a TfL or shorter distance GWR train shows up on Platforms 2-5, the procedure is to open the vehicle gate between Platform 5 & 6 and passengers using Oyster need to touch in/out at the standalone validator behind the uppercrust on the Platform 6/7 HeX entrance.

Seen it quite a few times and numerous GWR staff are on hand to ask people where they're going and to point to the reader. Unfortunately I haven't seen a TfL Rail service stop in Platforms 2-5 (other than the first 0442 and 0456 from Paddington to Heathrow), so I can't say what TfL staff do in that scenario, if they do anything at all.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well they're going to need to change that in the next year or so!

rpjs

Not that much more considering the touch in was attempted at a barrier without a card reader!
Well, I've not lived in the UK for nearly eight years now, and I assumed the discs on the moulding where I guess a reader could go were readers. There was at least one other passenger as confused as I was.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well, I've not lived in the UK for nearly eight years now, and I assumed the discs on the moulding where I guess a reader could go were readers. There was at least one other passenger as confused as I was.

The gateline has the ability to read smartcards, but would presumably need the relevant software update. I'm assuming they have the hardware, but even if not it would be a modular upgrade and done (in theory) in minutes. In reality, given it's the railway, it might take years.

mmh

Established Member
The gateline has the ability to read smartcards, but would presumably need the relevant software update. I'm assuming they have the hardware, but even if not it would be a modular upgrade and done (in theory) in minutes. In reality, given it's the railway, it might take years.

It doesn't have the hardware - the physical barrier is the same as one with a card reader, but instead where the card reader would be is plastic with a circular ring making it look a little like it might be one. Presumably so readers can be fitted later by removing or cutting out the plastic disc.

I can quite understand people getting confused by them. I've seen a fair few people at Victoria and London Bridge try to tap a paper magstripe ticket on the card readers - if you're unused to a system watching people ahead of you and copying them is fair enough really.

jon0844

Veteran Member
All the gatelines have a plain circular ring. It's just a sticker on top that shows whether it takes Oyster or a TOC-specific card! If there is the ring then I would have thought that the reader is inside. And if not, it's a very quick job to add and configure on the SKU.

In due course, Cubic will come and fit barcode readers lower down the front too if not already fitted.

K.o.R

try to tap a paper magstripe ticket on the card readers

Try Brussels public transport (bus/tram/metro). They have paper tickets with RFID hardware inside them. Makes it impossible to rip the ticket in half when you're done, as I discovered.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Normally when local services are operated to/from those platforms they open up the access gates round the back of the retail booths and redirect customers to touch in/out on the standalone readers elsewhere on the station.

Parham Wood

As a simple passenger I would expect all platforms that may have local services departing from them to have an Oyster reader. It seems a simple thing to achieve.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As a simple passenger I would expect all platforms that may have local services departing from them to have an Oyster reader. It seems a simple thing to achieve.
Local services do not normally depart from these platforms, they usually depart from the higher numbered platforms.

trek

If a TfL or shorter distance GWR train shows up on Platforms 2-5, the procedure is to open the vehicle gate between Platform 5 & 6 and passengers using Oyster need to touch in/out at the standalone validator behind the uppercrust on the Platform 6/7 HeX entrance.

Seen it quite a few times and numerous GWR staff are on hand to ask people where they're going and to point to the reader. Unfortunately I haven't seen a TfL Rail service stop in Platforms 2-5 (other than the first 0442 and 0456 from Paddington to Heathrow), so I can't say what TfL staff do in that scenario, if they do anything at all.

Would suspect the barriers would be left open at that time. Just hope there are no RPIs given I would doubt an irregular user would know where to find the standalone readers. Heck, most regular users don't know where they are, as I've noticed for the few peak services that use Platform 9.

And good luck if you're using the footbridge, where you have to get through the barrier, go round to the side bridge for platforms 10-14, and touch out there... All will hopefully be much easier once all platforms include Oyster...

Western Sunset

Established Member
Just going back to Padd plats 2 - 5 for a moment, does that mean if I have a Zone 1 - 6 Travelcard, it won't allow me access to those particular platforms?

Just thinking if I wanted access those to take photos from the end of the platforms.

trek

Just going back to Padd plats 2 - 5 for a moment, does that mean if I have a Zone 1 - 6 Travelcard, it won't allow me access to those particular platforms?

Just thinking if I wanted access those to take photos from the end of the platforms.

I assume you mean a paper travelcard, not one on Oyster? If on Oyster there are no readers on the barriers so definitely not, a paper shouldn't work either because a travelcard wouldn't be valid on most services from those platforms, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me that for some reason it worked anyway. Either way Paddington is pretty enthusiast friendly, if you ask you'll probably get on the platform, or be asked to sign in then be granted access anyway...

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I would recommend asking if you want to get to P2-5 - otherwise you might have trouble getting back out, might look like you have travelled without a ticket from Reading etc.

I have seen spotters there before.

Personally I find Acton Mainline, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing or Hanwell to be much better for photography.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is it? That sounds a little expensive
The single fares to/from Heathrow terminals on TfL Rail are all higher than usual zone 6 fares, but the daily cap for zones 1-6 still applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.