• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bash of the year 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
For me, it's easy. Ireland. Sorry the trip report hasn't materialised and doesn't look likely to :(

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
My favourite bash has been London to Paris return, Std Premier on Eurostar. Fabulous trip (as part of a holiday, so not strictly a bash! ;))

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My favourite was deffinetly the run down to Penzance I did. Darlington to Kings Cross (another opportunity to bemoan the new EC catering offer :lol:) then the Night Rivera down to Penzance (which was fantastically good fun and I even managed a decent nights sleep), a quick ten minute hop over to a HST back to Paddington so as to enjoy the scenery on the coast (which was good). Then a quick run across to Liverpool Street and out to Norwich (NXEA Mk3s are in truly desperate need of a refurb) then EMT back to Peterborough (158 refurb is great) and EC back to Darlington.

Great fun, good scenery in the west country, the novelty of the sleeper and pretty decent value for money (£45.55 1st class advance Penzance to Norwich). It also whetted my appetite for an ALR at some point as I felt like just carrying on as the train was arriving into Darlington!

Yew

Established Member
I will answer this after ive been on my (just booked) trip to london and edinburgh (using the sleeper)

Hmm, either the day I went to Anglia and got my last two passenger lines done (Sheringham and Saxmundham) as well as a 47 drag, or a railtour I did to Tenby, sorry, Fishguard... 37194+37688 thrashing along the HoW and the Marches. Complete with mood lighting on the way back when all the lights in the coach failed and we had to make do with some plastic stick on lights!

Lrd

Established Member
It has to be either the Settle - Carlisle (Did Southampton-London-York-Leeds-Carlisle-Leeds-London-Southampton in one day!) or my trip to Ireland, which included the Lowland sleeper on the way back.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Excluding railtours, Northern Ireland and a bit of the Dublin area was mine - I will get that report done one day! Don't even ask me what my favourite railtour was, I could probably give you a top eight but I couldn't narrow them down from there!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm a little torn on mine, but I think I'd have to go for the loco hauled bash I did earlier in the year taking in the Chiltern main line and the WAG Express - a close second being the first direct Lincoln to London EC train.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I think it'd have to be the last day of Wrexham and Shropshire way back at the end of January for me. Bouncing backwards and forwards between Banbury, Leamington and Shrewsbury while dressed as a pirate, alternating between pubs and W&S' sumptuous first class environment was very entertaining. The missus even came along, having enjoyed her first trip with them just a few weeks before, when there wasn't a hint of the companys' operations being wound up.

It was also, of course, very sad knowing that I would never again be able to take the opportunity to enjoy Wrexham and Shropshires' first class offering.:cry: I did my best to make use of their services whenever I possibly could, it was incredibly irritating hearing so many people on those final trains saying that "they'd never done (Wrexham and Shropshire) before, but thought that they'd take the opportunity now while they could." <(:roll:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Cheers Blindtraveler :)

Spitfires' "Cumbrian Crusader IV" back in February was good fun too, not least because me and my travelling companion bailed at Newcastle and went for a "night on the toon" with some friends of mine rather than heading back to Birmingham with the tour, and I got to stay in the Station Hotel, which is something I always wanted to do ever since I was a kid. We eventually got back to Birmingham basically twenty four hours later than we would have if we had stayed on the tour. :lol:

Passing over Ribblehead Viaduct with a coating of snow covering the Dales was nothing short of fantastic.:) First time I'd done the Settle and Carlisle from end to end, and it didn't disappoint. And with no less than a 20 plus 37 combo providing the power up front, too. :D It was generally nice to visit old haunts up north as well.

gnolife

Established Member
I'm torn between the WY Challenge and my WMDR (Which I still haven't got around to doing a report for)

IanD

Established Member
I've covered a lot of new ground this year but the highlights for me have been:

Liverpool Street-Norwich-Sheringham and return.

Milton Keynes-Warrington-Llandudno-Blaenau Ffestiniog-Porthmadog-Pwllheli-Abeystwyth-Wolverhampton-Milton Keynes.

4 days Exploring South Wales from Milton Keynes-Crewe-Shrewsbury-Llanelli (via HOW)-Milford Haven-(bus)-Pembroke Dock-Swansea-Cardiff followed by 3 more days including a trip to Fishguard and traversing all the Valley lines, returning to MK via The Marches and Birmingham.

Liskeard-Barnstaple and return via Paignton.

Track Basher

The trip of the year has to be the June trip South Wales - Crewe - Watford - Fort William - Mallaig - Armadale - Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverness - Kings Cross - Paddington - South Wales. Nearly 2,000 miles covered over 3 days. Good weather, company and beer.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I dont bash (not sure if this counts), but i did a cheshire day ranger in early 2011 which took me on several units for first time. 350, 323, 175, 507/8, and generally got to go on some different northern units (im used to 158/185/142/144) Since then ive been on them loads but i enjoyed it.

hmp455

Generally hopping-on hopping-off in and around London last Summer-especially the 'Networker-ing'. Went on countless 465/466s, one 365 and one 165.

Also rode on some new (for me at least) Classes- 165, 171, 313, 317, 375, 376 (horrid seats in comparison with the Networkers), 378 and 456.

I personally enjoyed anything that's not a 455 or SWT-operated (although the 458s are an exception!)

Crossover

Established Member
I'd say I have enjoyed most of the days out on the railways I have had over this year really and all have had their merits.

The October WMDR meet stands out up there - very enjoyable day in good company and with a fairly wide variety of traction and such, though the other two WMDRs I've done this year have been good as well (one was a meet and the first forum meet I ever went to and the other was with a friend which was also good :))

Though I have done other journeys with friends over the year round West Yorkshire and East Midlands and they have also been pretty good in their own respects too :D

starrymarkb

Established Member
My only one this year was Exeter to Lille and back :)

I have been traveling a lot more this year, with nearly 800 miles by train (last year was 25!), 500 by Coach, 1000 by Air and prob about 3500 by car...

Plans for next year are a plane/rail trip WGT in Germany (Flying to Berlin then onwards by Train) as well as starting a long haul fund for a trip to the USA in 2013 :)

craig87034

for me
Railtours 8th January: 'The Barmouth Bridge Express'
Preserved: Severn Valley diesel gala
Mainline: Freedom of Scotland jolly in July

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
i look forward to it! Myself I am stil undecided although there are several contenders.

I was on a tour yesterday, so I wanted to give that a chance before making the list. Anyway, I've been on 20 railtours this year - here's the top eight, with the first six in no particular order:

The Last Blue Train - 5 March - c2c
The R'n'B 2 - 2 April - Spitfire
The Curnow Irrupter - 28 May - Pathfinder
Buffer Puffer 9.0 - 17 September - Pathfinder
The Tees Goblin - 1 October - UK Railtours
The Mine of Serpents - 5 November - UK Railtours

And the top two, which are slightly better than the others, but I can't put a cigarette paper between them:

The Galloway Galloper - 12 February - Pathfinder
The Trent Explorer - 23 April - BLS

4SRKT

Established Member
Best was the RPSI jaunt to Limerick and back in September. Just ace.

Best non-railtour was my trip on the Night Riviera in May, returning to London via Gunnislake, Exmouth and Salisbury.

Biggest wash-out was Spitfire's Edinburgh Explorer II last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.