• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Basic qualified train driver salaries and basic T&c’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben3258

would any other qualified drivers divulge their basic salaries and T&c’s for me. I’m at South eastern and can confirm our basic (without any London allowance) is £54,575.
Sundays are inside the working week, £40 book on fee for a RDW, 9hr 15mins max turn, 4 days and 35hr week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class2ldn

TL is 61k sundays outside.
Sundays is extra and rest days are 50 quid on top for the day.
4 day week, se is terrible always has been.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Southeastern sounds like a raw deal. You can earn more being based at Swansea

Ben3258

I’m more interested looking at it from the strike action, as we at southeastern seem to have nothing left to give in any negotiation apart from a longer turn. Just can’t wrap my head around how some are in such a great position.

anglian96

If your a member of aslef. Log in on there website and all the information you need is on there for every toc/foc

Samzino

Would be best checking Aslef as said above the dogs at the dailymail would pounce on this info. Tho to add a little thing, MTR tried to offer Staff(Drivers, Customer Experience Assistants etc) a 5% pay rise which is in a 3% step till October of this year where another 2% is applied. I've been since corrected on the driver specfic details by a colleague who is a Mtrel driver @Joliver so ommited the info preceding the above prior to today.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
would any other qualified drivers divulge their basic salaries and T&c’s for me. I’m at South eastern and can confirm our basic (without any London allowance) is £54,575.
Sundays are inside the working week, £40 book on fee for a RDW, 9hr 15mins max turn, 4 days and 35hr week.
£54k and Sundays inside? Jesus…

GWR is £60,124 with Sundays (currently) outside and paid at time and a quarter with a min 8 hour payment. Same payment for RDW but with min 8:45 payment (that or the other way around re the Sunday/RD payment).

Qualified drivers coming over start on 90% for the first year.

Ben3258

£54k and Sundays inside? Jesus…

GWR is £60,124 with Sundays (currently) outside and paid at time and a quarter with a min 8 hour payment. Same payment for RDW but with min 8:45 payment (that or the other way around re the Sunday/RD payment).

Qualified drivers coming over start on 90% for the first year.
Yep Sundays are inside. I’ve only had my key a couple of years but can’t see SE levelling up to the rest, We’ve got a minimum of a 5hr30min rest day and paid at our flat rate.

Samzino

Southeastern sounds like a raw deal. You can earn more being based at Swansea
They know this but they're also aware that a majority will apply to them in a heartbeat for the license, do some time and then leave. No clue on how strong their side of the union is but indeed their current packet is a tad low. Im not aware of how much driver turnover they have either outside of local word of the mouth which by the sounds is somewhat up.

Established Member
If your a member of aslef. Log in on there website and all the information you need is on there for every toc/foc
It's horrendously out of date for many TOCs, my TOC has only recently been updated after having a salary on there that was over fifteen years out of date!

Established Member
Most of us have a pretty good idea of what other TOCs pay. Drivers at Southeastern metro depots generally know who pays what better than most, because so many of their colleagues have left and report back!

Just can’t wrap my head around how some are in such a great position.

You should perhaps turn that around and ask why Southeastern is in such a bad position. It’s because the union sold a lot of the Ts and Cs for pennies many years ago and has nothing left to bargain with. There is also a sense in some quarters that the union as a whole favours the senior men at coastal depots who still have guards and perhaps care a little less about pay than metro.

They know this but they're also aware that a majority will apply to them in a heartbeat for the license, do some time and then leave.

Indeed. There are many depots within range of SE metro locations which offer better pay, better work, and in many cases both. Many new metro drivers either leave or look to move depots to Tonbridge or the coast. The nature of the work means it’s fairly easy to rack up incidents soon after passing out, so quite a few end up effectively trapped.

No clue on how strong their side of the union is

Very weak.

Im not aware of how much driver turnover they have either outside of local word of the mouth which by the sounds is somewhat up.

Through the roof!

Samzino

Cheers 43066 I thought turnover was high just didn't want to misinterpret based on local talk.

12LDA28C

Established Member

I'd suggest that Ts & Cs are rather more detailed than that - length of Spare turns, movement off spare, minimum turn length, number of Saturdays worked, number of days annual leave, Rest Day pattern, any night shift working agreement and so on.

Samzino

Someone reported my post so it got deleted.

I'm not sure how it causes offence as it is the truth posting all this information on an open forum at a time where the public basically think the rail industry is overpaid and has too many good terms and conditions is asking for one of the mainstream media types to pick it up especially when more sympathetic professions like doctors and teachers are on strike.

I'm not sure why it all needs to be posted on here anyway. What difference does it make if you're on 52k and someone at eurostar is on 70k.

The terms and conditions got sold out cheaper than at other tocs simple as that.

If you are looking to move all that information can be provided by HR.
Dunno who reported it but regardless those in the public that think drivers are overpaid will mostly always believe that because if they were really intrested they'd find out themselves about the Job. There are many who will believe every word spoken by the daily mail, sun etc, these media outlets are written by authors who get the full details but purposely omit those to point out the salaries to create controversy as that attracts / sells articles.

Shinigami

Someone reported my post so it got deleted.

I'm not sure how it causes offence as it is the truth posting all this information on an open forum at a time where the public basically think the rail industry is overpaid and has too many good terms and conditions is asking for one of the mainstream media types to pick it up especially when more sympathetic professions like doctors and teachers are on strike.

I'm not sure why it all needs to be posted on here anyway. What difference does it make if you're on 52k and someone at eurostar is on 70k.

The terms and conditions got sold out cheaper than at other tocs simple as that.

If you are looking to move all that information can be provided by HR.
I don’t really think that “media might get wind of how me we get paid so we shouldn’t talk about it” is any better. Someone was just enquiring about pay and conditions, all of which are simply the truth anyway. Maybe it was reported/ deleted because your comment was off topic and pretty speculative? I don’t know

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'd suggest that Ts & Cs are rather more detailed than that - length of Spare turns, movement off spare, minimum turn length, number of Saturdays worked, number of days annual leave, Rest Day pattern, any night shift working agreement and so on.

Where I am is Sunday's inside and I don't think I'd give that up. I love a 4 day working week. Sunday's, although extra pay, are still extra time at work. Sod that.

Astro_Orbiter

There's a document from March 23 doing the rounds which lists all operators (freight/pax/OA/E* etc) salaries and hours. The disparity is enormous between the top TOC and bottom TOC (I say TOC with intent as I don't think Eurostar, which is top of the tree counts as it's quite a unique and seperate operation to other "normal" operators.)

eastersunday

There's a document from March 23 doing the rounds which lists all operators (freight/pax/OA/E* etc) salaries and hours. The disparity is enormous between the top TOC and bottom TOC (I say TOC with intent as I don't think Eurostar, which is top of the tree counts as it's quite a unique and seperate operation to other "normal" operators.)
Where can I find this document?

Ben3258

They know this but they're also aware that a majority will apply to them in a heartbeat for the license, do some time and then leave. No clue on how strong their side of the union is but indeed their current packet is a tad low. Im not aware of how much driver turnover they have either outside of local word of the mouth which by the sounds is somewhat
Where can I find this document?
Someone sent it to me yesterday when I put the post up. I believe this is it attached.

Attachments

• TOC and FOC Pay Rates March 2023.pdf
    119.4 KB · Views: 396

Established Member
Someone sent it to me yesterday when I put the post up. I believe this is it attached.
Some of those are already out of date.

I'd actually support a thread on pay and conditions in the same format as the route and traction knowledge threads.

The aslef website isn't kept up to date at all.

Stigy

Established Member
I don’t really think that “media might get wind of how me we get paid so we shouldn’t talk about it” is any better. Someone was just enquiring about pay and conditions, all of which are simply the truth anyway. Maybe it was reported/ deleted because your comment was off topic and pretty speculative? I don’t know
The media just take £65k and run with that most of the time anyway, even though not many TOCs pay that. It doesn’t have to be truthful, much like the £44k average rail worker salary Shapps spouted when it was just the RMT taking action. Still, this is going off on a tangent…

Economist

RDW data would be interesting where it is available, especially Sunday rates since it can make a big difference. I believe TPE were at 1.75x basic with a minimum 10 hour payment. Assuming we get a rest day agreement at my place, those sorts of rates would motivate me to work them.

Evolution

I believe TPE were at 1.75x basic with a minimum 10 hour payment.
Interestingly they were offered the same RDW agreement a few weeks ago and it got voted down, fair play to them, no point helping bridge the cracks for the company until the pay dispute has been resolved.

It was by far the best RDW agreement going and meant quite a few of the grabbers at TPE were comfortably doing well into six figures.

Taking a 802 from York to Doncaster IET depot and taxi back on a RD, nice work if you can get it!

Established Member
Interestingly they were offered the same RDW agreement a few weeks ago and it got voted down, fair play to them, no point helping bridge the cracks for the company until the pay dispute has been resolved.

That’s interesting. Several posters on here assured the forum that such a deal would never be offered again!

387star

On Moderation
One thing that's clear is pay has nothing to do with how expensive somewhere is to live or the complexity of the depot.

Evolution

That’s interesting. Several posters on here assured the forum that such a deal would never be offered again!
I know exactly what I thought too! According to most on here those type of agreements were a thing of the past, just shows what the casuals know!

According to the TPE driver who told me this, the company are desperate to get a new RDW agreement (even on the previous terms) to sort the debacle that is the Class 68/mark 5a training, with half the main depots either signing 68/185 or 802/185, easy to see how this falls apart and why half the 68s are parked up.

Economist

I know exactly what I thought too! According to most on here those type of agreements were a thing of the past, just shows what the casuals know!

According to the TPE driver who told me this, the company are desperate to get a new RDW agreement (even on the previous terms) to sort the debacle that is the Class 68/mark 5a training, with half the main depots either signing 68/185 or 802/185, easy to see how this falls apart and why half the 68s are parked up.

I take it that's the result of them originally deciding to have each depot sign one route (or part of a route) and mainly one, at most two, types of traction?

Established Member
RDW data would be interesting where it is available, especially Sunday rates since it can make a big difference. I believe TPE were at 1.75x basic with a minimum 10 hour payment. Assuming we get a rest day agreement at my place, those sorts of rates would motivate me to work them.
Yes. Other places pay a minimum of 12 hours for a RDW (10 if covering a part time diagram). Some have a signing on bonus, others don't get anything above the hours.

For qualified drivers moving TOC that information along with roster and diagram details can be just as important as the salary.

Joliver

Would be best checking Aslef as said above the dogs at the dailymail would pounce on this info. Tho to add a little thing, MTR tried to offer Staff(Drivers, Customer Experience Assistants etc) a 5% pay rise which is in a 3% step till October of this year where another 2% is applied but remove Sunday pay by making Sunday part of the working week. Also wanted to re-evaluate night pay, this considering ofc that there isnt any bank holiday pay and no surprise all 3 unions rejected it. Base wise drivers are around 68K or so on the lizzy line.
This is slightly wrong. Sunday's are already inside the working week, no such thing as night pay or Sunday pay (driving grade, can't comment on other grades). Base salary is slightly higher on what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.