• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best looking Rolling Stock Liveries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metro95

What Rolling Stock Liveries do you think look the best? Can be present or past.
I like the Class 507 Merseyrail livery.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
I like the Grand Central livery, understated and quite classy

I like TPE's new livery and Avanti West Coast's livery but nothing can beat Intercity Swallow

Sorcerer

Virgin Trains silver and red was a great livery, and to be honest I genuinely didn't mind the Virgin 800 flowing silk livery. In terms of modern day liveries, the TransPennine Express livery is also really good.

jackot

Midland Mainline was always one of my favourites with the teal and orange colour scheme.
SWTs' white long-distance livery is a nice one as well as long as its' kept clean. Looked amazing on the 170s, great on the others too.
GWRs livery I think is also a really good one if we are talking more recently. Looks classic without looking outdated or overly 'nouveau riche' in my opinion - I think FG could have done a whole lot worse. I was always a fan of the old green FGW livery that followed Great Western Trains too.

Iskra

Established Member
GNER was the best in my opinion.

I also like Grand Central, original Virgin Trains and original Midland Mainline.

Stagecoach EMT/EMR looked great on the HST's too.

Pre-privatisation WYPTE Red was a good one.

Strathclyder

Established Member
British Rail (pre-privatisation): InterCity Swallow, ScotRail, Strathclyde Orange/Black, Regional Railways, GMPTE Grey/Red/White, WYPTE Red, Network SouthEast (I think the two generations of Island Line ex-LU stock that carried it did so really rather well) & L&SE Jaffa Cake

Extinct/Outdated Privatisation Liveries: GNER, SPT Carmine/Cream, original Virgin Trains, South West Trains (both the modified NSE and long-distance variants), Anglia Railways, original First Great Eastern, FGW Fag Packet & ScotRail (National Express). Most of Central Trains' early original liveries also get a honourable mention, as does original Midland Mainline

Current Liveries: ScotRail Saltire & Inter7City, TPE Nova, Grand Central (I do prefer their eariler variants tho) and the new Merseyrail livery on the 777s

I suspect I've ruffled more than a few feathers with a few of those choices lol

Peter0124

Established Member
The Carmine and Cream livery on 314s, 318s and 334s was amazing, it didn't look so good on the 320s though the Scotrail blue suits them better.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I have always like SWT's white livery as shown on the 444s. It all contrasted well with each colour. Thankfully it is still around, but how many units are wearing the livery are slowly declining.

I quite enjoy Southern's livery, in the fact it has remained quite modern looking for 20 years now.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I have always like SWT's white livery as shown on the 444s. It all contrasted well with each colour. Thankfully it is still around, but how many units are wearing the livery are slowly declining.
It looked smart enough. The main problem is that it doesn't take much for the units to start looking very grubby, with that much blank white surface around. The general trend does seem to be for more white liveries though, so maybe it isn't so bad.

D6130

Established Member
British Railways' lined Brunswick Green livery (a variation of the old GWR livery) for express passenger steam locomotives and two-tone green for certain classes of diesel locomotives (classes 25/2, 29 and 47 plus one or two class 24 and 27) - coupled to lined maroon coaching stock (also used on the type AM9/class 309 EMUs for the Liverpool Street-Clacton/Walton routes.

British Railways 'electric blue' for AC electric locos and lined 'Caledonian Blue' for type AM3/class 303 EMUs.

British Railways lined maroon for ex-LMS 'Princess Royal' and 'Princess Coronation' Pacific steam locomotives.

Mikey C

Established Member
London Midland. It looked really nice on the 350s, but still managed to look good on older stock like the 321s

The TPE livery is another one which is very attractive, and especially suits the Novas with their longer noses.

Not an exciting livery, but the blue Southeastern livery uses very attractive shades of blue.

william.martin

On Moderation
For me, as long as they are sparkling clean it has to be Avanti's current 390 livery.
I must say though I love intercity swallow and Greater Anglia FLIRT also looks great!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In no particular order within each category:

Past
BR ScotRail Express
BR InterCity Swallow
BR Large Logo (on 47s)
CIÉ Supertrain (On Mk3s particularly)
SNCF TGV Sud-Est original Orange
NatEx ScotRail 'Swoosh'
NatEx Midland Mainline 'Teal & Tangerine'
NatEx MM original Meridian livery
Sea Containers GNER
Virgin Trains Red/Black
Virgin Trains original Pendolino livery
Stagecoach SouthWestTrains

Present
LNER IC225 InterCity
LNER Azuma scheme
WMR Gold
ScotRail I7C
ScotRail Saltire
TPE 'Broken Glass'
NIR C4K scheme

Tayway

Two of my favourites fall into the fairly niche category of post-privatisation PTE liveries:

West Yorkshire Metro Class 333s in red, silver and yellow

SPT Class 170 and 334 in carmine and cream with the teal stripe

Buggleskelly

Intercity Swallow, Network Southeast.

First Great Eastern and the full branded ONE liveries, the 315's looked very smart in those.

ScotRail Saltire

Krokodil

Established Member
Anything from the sectorisation era. Grand Central, GNER and GWR's liveries worked well too for similar reasons - no complicated swooshy bits on tatty vinyl; they were simple, understated and smart.

Western 52

My favourite 5 are:
- MML 222
- GNER 373
- EMR 170
- HT 802
- EMR 810 (from what we have seen thus far)
For me, InterCity Swallow wins, a classy livery which was well suited to premium trains. When kept clean, this livery looked great.

For older liveries, a rake of coaches in carmine and cream looked good , but they did tend to show the dirt.

QSK19

For me, InterCity Swallow wins, a classy livery which was well suited to premium trains. When kept clean, this livery looked great.

For older liveries, a rake of coaches in carmine and cream looked good , but they did tend to show the dirt.
Agreed about the InterCity Swallow livery. Reminds me of trips as a kid; and I was so glad when EMR repainted 43102 as part of saying goodbye to HSTs on the MML.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
West Yorkshire Metro Class 333s in red, silver and yellow
Northern Spirit were a rubbish operator but their liveries were good. The green standard even looked good on 142s, and the Trans-Pennine version looked great until FirstGroup came along and ruined it with their stupid vinyls.

The West Yorkshire variant was nice too, much better than the "silver semi-circles" version that came along after Arriva bought out MTL which was seen on the 144s and some of the 158/9s.

Purple Train

Established Member
I love InterCity Swallow and NSE "toothpaste", although First Great Eastern on the Class 321s doesn't look half bad either. My favourite current livery is probably Southeastern blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.