• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Mark 3 Coach

Who has the most comfortable Mark 3 coaches?

• Greater Anglia (Refurbished by 'one')

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • East Midlands Trains

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • First Great Western

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • East Coast (Refurbished by GNER)

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Virgin Trains (Pretendolino)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Chiltern Railways (Refurbished by Wrexham & Shropshire)

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Grand Central

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • CrossCountry

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Other - Please Comment

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun

They're all good, although FGW probably beats the rest due to the legroom and seat comfort. Chiltern/Grand Central probably joint second as they are virtually identical. Don't get why people don't appreciate the FGW refurb, sure there are more seats but there is so much more space than before.

Worst is probably Southern since they butchered the Class 442 coaches, although they're still better than any alternatives.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Any train with any form of IC70 is automatically at the bottom of the table and is something worth avoiding for me.

Ivo

Established Member
Chiltern (or WSMR) hands-down. I think EC probably just about get away with 2nd.

I have never been on an EMT HST though, or (sadly) the Pretendolino, so I can't comment on those.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What is this IC70 crap all about?

I find the original seats in the HST miles better than the modern ones!

Indeed. I do like the Mallard refurb, but having done Kings Cross to Leeds in one today, I have to admit, my backside had gone to sleep by the time we'd passed Retford.

It didn't help that I was wedged next to one of those people who never seems to move throughout the whole journey, so I couldn't get up and walk about very often.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No; i just dont understand the term IC70.

What is the point of it? What does it mean? Where has it come from?

(and the old seats are MILES more comfortbale than the newer seats!)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No; i just dont understand the term IC70.

What is the point of it? What does it mean? Where has it come from?

(and the old seats are MILES more comfortbale than the newer seats!)

Inter City seat design type 70.

But I have no idea why the number 70 was used as we obviously haven't had seats designated IC1 through to IC69 have we? So probably a marketing choice...?

sprinterguy

Established Member
But I have no idea why the number 70 was used as we obviously haven't had seats designated IC1 through to IC69 have we? So probably a marketing choice...?
Was it not something to do with the time period they were brought into use during? The HST prototype came into use in 1972, but weren't the later builds of mark 2E and 2F vehicles also fitted with that same design of seat? So the "70" would refer to the decade of introduction. The seats fitted to the APT-P were classified as "Intercity 80" as far as I am aware; being the next design of seating to be fitted to Intercity trains, and also potentially denoting the decade in which a squadron fleet of APTs was expected to be introduced.

That's what I have always been lead to believe, at any rate.

Hydro

Established Member
I present to you, the NMT.

Legroom is not a problem with fully adjustable (foward, back, up and down) 360 degree rotating office chairs.

But what about table space? In this day and age of "Cram 'em in and make 'em pay" (Copyright, Privatised Railway Ltd) it can be tough to find a table seat. Not a problem on this train! Half length workstation desks running down one side of Production and Development vehicles, whilst Conference has (as the name suggests!) a large conference table with approximately 15 fully adjustable seats.

Once you've tired of seeing the stunning views available 90 degrees to the train, why not tune into the full HD forward facing video and see what the driver sees? Maybe you'll catch a pigeon being turned to a red smudge at 110mph!

Feeling hungry? Not a problem with the Mess Coaches. Full kitchens with microwaves and George Foreman grills, with complete tea and coffee facilities. Free to use to anyone!*

Communication isn't a problem, with free WiFi through both Production and Development. Marvel at the stunning speeds and connectivity!**

*Bring your own food.

**Not guaranteed outside of London.

Disclaimer: This train is not available to members of the public. Anyone attempting to get on will likely be shouted at. Anyone lucky enough to have a trip on board as a visitor, bring biscuits, enjoy it, and don't touch nuffink.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone lucky enough to have a trip on board as a visitor, bring biscuits, enjoy it, and don't touch nuffink.

Who should we talk to about arranging a visit to take advantage of these wonderful facilities ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I present to you, the NMT.

Legroom is not a problem with fully adjustable (foward, back, up and down) 360 degree rotating office chairs.

But what about table space? In this day and age of "Cram 'em in and make 'em pay" (Copyright, Privatised Railway Ltd) it can be tough to find a table seat. Not a problem on this train! Half length workstation desks running down one side of Production and Development vehicles, whilst Conference has (as the name suggests!) a large conference table with approximately 15 fully adjustable seats.

Once you've tired of seeing the stunning views available 90 degrees to the train, why not tune into the full HD forward facing video and see what the driver sees? Maybe you'll catch a pigeon being turned to a red smudge at 110mph!

Feeling hungry? Not a problem with the Mess Coaches. Full kitchens with microwaves and George Foreman grills, with complete tea and coffee facilities. Free to use to anyone!*

Communication isn't a problem, with free WiFi through both Production and Development. Marvel at the stunning speeds and connectivity!**

*Bring your own food.

**Not guaranteed outside of London.

Disclaimer: This train is not available to members of the public. Anyone attempting to get on will likely be shouted at. Anyone lucky enough to have a trip on board as a visitor, bring biscuits, enjoy it, and don't touch nuffink.

I didnt know i was allowed to choose the NMT! No fair!

(ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh Dont tell them what the money gets spent on! They think it is full of cutting edge rail related scientific equipment and cutting edge technology stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!! The George Foreman Grills are a secret ffs! And i always bring biscuits - then eat them all while you guys work!)

AndyLandy

Established Member
My favourite Mk3? Any one where I can hang out of the window with the wind in my hair and watch the world go by! Sadly soon to be a thing of the past, I imagine. :cry:

cj_1985

@harz99 - Agrree 100%

personally i would disagree... not because they are "vintage"...

partly because of the fixed arm rests, but mainly because when i travelled on a mk3 on a long distance service (normally anything more than 2 hours)... i would end up with some considerable discomfort in the ar*e area due to an injury to my in my youth... (Discomfort that could be described as either pain or a numb throb)

pain that i have never suffered when traveling on more modern stock ie. Voyager/Pendo, nor have i had that same pain when traveling on any of the refurbished stock ie. FGW, or GNER/NXEC/EC "Mallard"

but i would guess that for most folk, its the former reason thats the issue with the IC70 seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.