• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Route: Maida Vale to St. Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

heliumdesign

Is it faster to change at Baker St. to Metropolitan, or to Circle or H'smith? Does one have more TPH than the other.
Or change at Paddington to Circle/H'smith?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Baker Street to Met is how I'd do it; the way up from the Bakerloo leads directly to the Met line platforms and while it might be a minute or so longer to wait, you'll more than save that through less walking.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Change at Baker St. There are screens at the bottom of the stairs (top of the escalator from the Tube platforms) that advise which platform the next City train departs from.

Lad Brookes

Baker Street to Met is how I'd do it; the way up from the Bakerloo leads directly to the Met line platforms and while it might be a minute or so longer to wait, you'll more than save that through less walking.

The Met Line trains are also usually quieter- I'll wait for one over a Circle/H&C service, as long as the extra wait isn't ridiculous.

Rup

Via Oxford Circus seems to be the quickest way (most of the time) according to Google Maps.

heliumdesign

We have a 9:24 Eurostar train to catch so need to be there by 9. Aiming to leave by 8 from Maida Vale, just in case.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
We have a 9:24 Eurostar train to catch so need to be there by 9. Aiming to leave by 8 from Maida Vale, just in case.

I thought the minimum check in was 30 minutes? You're only allowing 24 minutes... While there are plenty of stories of people being let through late it would be very unwise to plan on that.

You're not even allowing for possible delays en route.

Via Oxford Circus seems to be the quickest way (most of the time) according to Google Maps.

There's a lot more walking involved in doing it this way at both Oxford Circus ( it is not cross platform if you're heading southbound Bakerloo then northbound Victoria ) and King's Cross St Pancras.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'll offer my tuppenceworth. Baker Street is not only the most obvious, but any alternative would be perverse! In the unlikely event there is a huge delay on the Met and Circle/H&C, then hop back on another Bakerloo to Oxford Circus. Who'd use that latter station at the peak of the rush hour if they didn't have to?

heliumdesign

I'm allowing an hour, if the time estimate of 25 minutes from Maida Vale to St. Pancras is accurate. (leaving at 8, arriving at 8:30, boarding at 9:30)
That's why I wanted to know which transfer is the best option.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm allowing an hour, if the time estimate of 25 minutes from Maida Vale to St. Pancras is accurate. (leaving at 8, arriving at 8:30, boarding at 9:30)
That's why I wanted to know which transfer is the best option.

You said earlier it's the 09.24 departure you're getting. That's the time it goes, not the boarding time. Your last check in time is 08.54.

heliumdesign

Sorry...

I'm planning to leave Maida Vale at 8am. Eurostar train at leaves at 9:24. Google says 25 mins to St. Pancras, leaving me 30 extra minutes for the security and/or delays, based on Eurostar telling me to be there 30 mins before departure.

So... is change at Baker to Metropolitan the most efficient way to get there in that timeframe? We can leave earlier of course. The marketing for Eurostar *claims* security to not be like an airport, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

The 10 minute boarding is based on the Eurostar site saying business class travelers can get there 10 minutes before. Surely there's security for them as well.

"Standard, Standard Premier, and Eurostar™ carte classique travellers

Check in at least 30 minutes before departure, 45 minutes at busy times like weekends and bank holidays.
Business Premier and Eurostar™ carte blanche travellers

Check in at least 10 minutes before departure."

Last edited:

Panda

Not on the St Pancras side, but on the Paris side I've tried to check in 25 minutes before but wasn't allowed through (I was at the station 2 hours before!!).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have you considered bus route 46 - you might need to leave a bit earlier to allow for traffic congestion but it will save you hassle changing tube trains as it will take you straight there.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You need to be have checked in by 08.54 at the latest unless you have a Business Premier ticket (when you'd have until 09.14). Business Premier passengers have to go through security but they have a separate fast lane.

At St Pancras you scan you ticket at the barrier and it will let you through (airport style). You then get to the security area - basically like an airport although it's not as officious - for example there isn't a 100ml rule on liquids but as there's no checked in luggage people are generally carrying more than they would be at an airport.

Once through security you then go through UK Passport Control then a few feet later pass through French Passport control. Then you're in the departure lounge where there is plenty of seating. Once your train is called you go up to the platforms on travelators.

I'd leave earlier and grab a coffee when you get to St Pancras. There's nothing worse than stressing about missing a tight connection when you could have left earlier. I'd also change at Baker Street but remember that you are also travelling during the morning rush hour. Also you need to factor in time to get from the Underground platforms to the Eurostar check-in at St Pancras. Are you familiar with the station layout? It's not the longest walk from the Met/Circle/H&C platforms but it does involve a couple of sets of steps - again during rush hour.

If you miss the Eurostar you'll probably have to buy a new ticket - if there's space on a later train to accommodate you. It's reservations only so you can't stand.

Do you really want the stress?

heliumdesign

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The kids will be up anyway, so I guess we'll just leave super early.

I've read that Gare du Nord isn't exactly the nicest station to spend 2 hours in, but what can you do...

A0wen

On Moderation
Depending on where you are in relation to Maida Vale station, would going to Kilburn High Road be an option and use the Overground to Euston?

You've then got a choice of a bus or Victoria line to St P.

Kilburn High Road to Euston is about 15 mins.

urbophile

Established Member
would going to Kilburn High Road be an option and use the Overground to Euston?

Or a fairly hassle-free 10 minute walk. (take you at least that on the Vic line, with escalators etc)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Depending on where you are in relation to Maida Vale station, would going to Kilburn High Road be an option and use the Overground to Euston?

Kilburn High Road to Euston is about 15 mins.

I'd ignore any option arriving at St Pancras on the Victoria line. If you follow the official signs from the platform to St Pancras its a LOOOOONG walk to the surface and even then you are quite a long way from the Eurostar check-in. There is a quicker route but it involves ignoring some of the signs and could be busy at that time of day. The Met/H&C/Circle are the closest Underground platforms to Eurostar.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for all the advice everyone. The kids will be up anyway, so I guess we'll just leave super early.

I've read that Gare du Nord isn't exactly the nicest station to spend 2 hours in, but what can you do...

Gare du Nord isn't as nice as St Pancras. Depending on what time you're coming back I'd find a cafe nearby and get something to eat or drink before walking across to the station nearer to the final check in time. Once through check-in and security the waiting area isn't too bad.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Bakerloo line to Baker st and change for the Met Line.
Do Not change at Paddington because the H&C platforms are miles away from the Bakerloo line platforms.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just check before hand for any engineering works which may be taking place if you are traveling at weekends :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Have you considered bus route 46 - you might need to leave a bit earlier to allow for traffic congestion but it will save you hassle changing tube trains as it will take you straight there.

Quite small buses are used on this route, so you might not get on the first one. There's also a temporary timetable with (slightly) reduced frequencies at present.

heliumdesign

Midweek travel, but I have the excellent Kickmap app so I'll be sure to check for works and delays.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I wouldn't recommend the bus if travelling at that time of the morning. Bakerloo and Metropolitan would be my preferred option and provide adequate options if something goes wrong.

Hopefully all will go well and you'll arrive at St Pancras with time to relax int he lounge prior to departure.

fgwrich

Established Member
I'd also recommend the Bakerloo then Met/H&C lines route as you will arrive closer to St Pancras from the Met Lines than you would via the Victoria line.

Status
Not open for further replies.