• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
More than enough

Is the planned service level 4 departures an hour? (Plus VT I suppose)

As a comparison, also with 6 platforms, Hull has a service level of 6.5 trains per hour and seems to be far from capacity.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

As a comparison, also with 6 platforms, Hull has a service level of 6.5 trains per hour and seems to be far from capacity.

Exactly - and it will be a new streamlined layout, and new signaling and I assume, but still not confirmed 100% , that the curves will be taken out of the platforms or straightened considerably. So more than enough capacity for the foreseeable future.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A medium-distance train can be turned round quite comfortably within the half hour, so six platforms would do 12 departures pre hour without a problem.

Greybeard33

Established Member

Manchester Airport has 11 departures per hour from 4 platforms (admittedly with some double occupancy).

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Manchester Airport has 11 departures per hour from 4 platforms (admittedly with some double occupancy).

Indeed. I thought an example whether the service pattern or the platforms provided matched Blackpool North's proposed future situation would be more illustrative.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Working off a standard day's lineup from RTT, only 3-6 are used at present anyway, with 2 making sporadic appearances on Sundays. Nowt at all as far as I can see for 1, 7 or 8 (I believe the latter is permanently OOU?). Even allowing for a hypothetical 6tph, there'll still be more than enough platform provision.

Edit - Looking at another Sunday, 1 sees some use too. Still doesn't negate the overall point however.

Last edited:

Railrover700

Just to remind you, some time ago Railrover700 kindly allowed us to link his fab album to the Combined Volume (CV). To access it you can either remember his link as above or click on the very first image in the CV then look down the "Comments" and click on the link shown in Comment 07.

That route will also give you access to a seriously fab range of other albums.

Thank you Railrover700

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147506051@N02/albums/72157679909475566

A few more shots from around Adlington this weekend, although I appreciate much of this ground has been covered well already in other albums.

driver9000

Established Member
Platforms 7 and 8 at Blackpool North have been abandoned with track and signals removed.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Platforms 7 and 8 at Blackpool North have been abandoned with track and signals removed.

The carriage sidings at Blackpool are also being remodelled, some heavy plant working there today. There's a new concrete pad in situ.
40-odd masts either side near the M55 bridge, and bases continue through Poulton on the Down to Layton with loose piles ready on the Up.
Masts appearing in the cess between Preston and Salwick.
No piles yet Salwick to west of Kirkham.
Masts up just east of Chorley tunnel, and west of Bolton (20 on the Down).
One or two masts at Agecroft, nearly all up through Salford Crescent, but no sign of bases for the couple they need in the lobelia on the west side.
Foundation work seems to be concentrating on the large-footprint concrete type (more than you might expect, throughout the route).

Wiring can't be far away now.
Stretches from Lostock to Blackrod and Buckshaw to the WCML look pretty much ready.
But there's still plenty of piling to do, eg Agecroft-Farnworth.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I believe the work currently happening in the sidings at Blackpool is laying foundations for the new wash plant to be installed. It's quite amazing to see so much happen in the last couple of weeks.

snowball

Established Member
According to the current Rail magazine (829), p. 15, this happened over the late May bank holiday; thanks to our photographers and chroniclers we've already seen pictures of some of it:

Burnden junction was remodelled with 1100 yds of track renewed. 100 yds of S&C installed, an old signal gantry removed and a new signal installed. Between Lostock and Euxton, Level of Control cases (?) were installed, tests of solid state interlocking extensions were carried out, and Panel and Panel Multiplexer alteration works were completed from Blackrod to Euxton.

driver9000

Established Member
According to the current Rail magazine (829), p. 15, this happened over the late May bank holiday; thanks to our photographers and chroniclers we've already seen pictures of some of it:

Burnden junction was remodelled with 1100 yds of track renewed. 100 yds of S&C installed, an old signal gantry removed and a new signal installed. Between Lostock and Euxton, Level of Control cases (?) were installed, tests of solid state interlocking extensions were carried out, and Panel and Panel Multiplexer alteration works were completed from Blackrod to Euxton.

They replaced and moved every signal between Euxton Junction and Blackrod (the section controlled by Preston) including new 3 state banner repeaters.

Geeves

Established Member
Quite a few more TTCs gone up between Salford Central and Salford Crescent. I would say there only about 5 or 6 missing though they could have been on the opposite side. The signal heads at the Crescent are now OHLE friendly plastic ones too and one of the Feathers is now a theatre box at the south end.

Last edited:

TBSchenker

Quite a few more TTCs gone up between Salford Central and Salford Crescent. I would say there only about 5 or 6 missing though they could have been on the opposite side. The signal heads at the Crescent are now OHLE friendly plastic ones too and one of the Feathers is now a theatre box at the south end.

Platform 1 and 2 at Salford Crescent has seen both south end signals replaced, with the feathers on both signals replaced with Theatre Boxes. Displaying UB (Up Bolton) DB (Down Bolton) or US (Up Salford).

The signal at the south end of the Up Bolton should've been replaced but wasn't. A WON supplement will be issued due to the work not taking place.

Geeves

Established Member
Apparently this wasn't communicated very well as the drivers were asking Platform staff at the Crescent and well as ringing the signalman :D

There was still a feather on the loop line yesterday not sure if that is being changed too.

TBSchenker

^as per above^ The Up Bolton Loop should've been changed as well but wasn't. A WON Supplement will detail the work not taken place.

LDECRexile

Established Member

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Please see the remarkable comments attached to ALX400's photo 7560i Blackrod!!!

Yo!

Sadly, historic value engineered station works (and not a few other streams of work) are universally atrocious at thinking ahead and recording the locations of "stuff", meaning that in many areas the only thing we can know for certain is that we have no idea what's just under the surface. The digging of trail holes at every OLE base location is a manifestation of this doubt.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Sadly, historic value engineered station works (and not a few other streams of work) are universally atrocious at thinking ahead and recording the locations of "stuff", meaning that in many areas the only thing we can know for certain is that we have no idea what's just under the surface. The digging of trail holes at every OLE base location is a manifestation of this doubt.

Indeed, I wasn't sniping at that, but at the fact that one of our contributors sent a shot of a hole dug by another, with action shot; marvellous!

I've renumbered John Evans' shots published yesterday so they display in correct chronological sequence. They now appear as 7531 and 7530.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I just landed from the USA and got the train from the airport to Preston. Great progress. Looks like wrinkley beat me to it. What is strange is that in the Salford Crescent area the masts on the line to Atherton have danglies i.e. more progress than the main line. Still most stations don't have bases yet. Overall not too many bases missing though Kearsley is devoid. Orangemen aplenty all along the route which is encouraging as work is being done during the day as well as at night.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Gralistair has kindly sent a batch of photos he took during his journey yesterday.

I've added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157651259517065

and added them to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Thank you Graham, see you Weds at 10 at your place.

Wrinkley has sent the following note:

"No sign of piling between Beaumont Road and north of the station, but houses close to the line on both sides of the station.

Maybe they will wait until the Bolton blockade in August and do the work during the day."

Thank you Wrinkley

mikemcniven

Status
Not open for further replies.