• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggycorner

With reference to the note of Limit of Electrification I suggest it means limit of electrification masts and wire for down direction trains that have accidentally wandered from the correct route to Blackpool north as is now the norm for facing junctions were one leg is not electrified beyond the junction to save pan damage and allow driver to reverse while still on power

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railrover700

With reference to the note of Limit of Electrification I suggest it means limit of electrification masts and wire for down direction trains that have accidentally wandered from the correct route to Blackpool north as is now the norm for facing junctions were one leg is not electrified beyond the junction to save pan damage and allow driver to reverse while still on power
Thanks, it makes sense that the wiring on this stretch of track is for such trains travelling in a down direction. However it still seems odd to label this track the 'Down Lytham'.

Foggycorner

The tracks are labeled in little boxs dl,ul,df,uf
the note in red is for direction of down lytham ,I thought one of the drivers on here might have explained this for you with their vast route knowlage and expertise

Railrover700

The tracks are labeled in little boxs dl,ul,df,uf
the note in red is for direction of down lytham ,I thought one of the drivers on here might have explained this for you with their vast route knowlage and expertise
Thanks very much for the explanation

LDECRexile

Established Member
In case anyone missed this:

An Orangeman has kindly given me permission to say that:

1. Poulton signalbox is due to be demolished starting at 07:00 on Monday 19th February 2018. If he tells me that that has changed I will say so on this thread.

2. Work will start this weekend on drains south of Poulton station. The work over the weekend will be preparatory and not especially interesting to view, but things should get livelier on Monday. He said the work should be readily photographable from the Station Road and Garstang Road East bridges and the foot crossing off the end of Holts Lane (53.841846, -2.976784) though that crossing itself is, of course, closed.

snowball

Established Member
What's odd about it?
What's odd about it is that the words "Limit of Electrification on Down Lytham" appear in two places, one of which is referring to a point on the Up Lytham track and should read "Limit of electrification on Up Lytham". See #6164.

What's odd about it is that the words "Limit of Electrification on Down Lytham" appear in two places, one of which is referring to a point on the Up Lytham track and should read "Limit of electrification on Up Lytham". See #6164.
Yes, agreed. I wouldn't call it odd though, it's just a mistake.

swanhill41

I understand that after the train service re starts from Blackpool North, there are still early morning engineering possessions from Preston to Blackpool North right up until the line goes live on May 20th. Hence the start from Preston.
Can confirm that there is engineering possessions 22.00-06.00 hours Monday to Thursday till late May at least...Source senior member of Northern Rail RR team at BPN

Class 170101

Established Member
Even after line goes live on May 20th I can still envision lots of finishing off and tidying up jobs to do.

Wasn't that the case between Liverpool and Manchester via Chat Moss? I seem to recall the Autotransformer stuff was commissioned later?

Mathew S

Established Member
Traveled from Wigan to Manchester via Bolton today...

Masts up as far as I could see North of Lostock station, and then all but the occasional one up as far as the bridges north of Bolton station.
Several vertical columns (part of masts) within and just to the north of Bolton station itself, but far less complete than Lostock-Bolton.
South of Bolton to just north of Farnworth, it appeared that nearly all masts were up, with many seeming to a layman such as I to be ready for wires. Then two/three minutes south of Farnworth tunnel and the rest of the way to Salford, most masts seem to be up, though less complete than Bolton-Farnworth. (Less a couple of short gaps.) The very southernmost section around and just south of Salford Crescent appears largely complete although no wiring as yet.

I'm a complete layman, so no more knowledge than what I've written, but hopefully that's of benefit to some. I also saw several gangs if orange men working.

I have to says the amount of progress since Christmas is fantastic. It's good to see things seemingly finally coming together.

Mast at Clifton now has its top steelwork, presumably added over the weekend

Attachments

• P1040031red.jpg
    P1040031red.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 79

BelleIsle

Apologies if any of this has been posted before but I cannot get the search function working properly.

- Phoning ahead from Blackpool South to check for airport issues is no longer required.
- Hitting the plunger at Moss Side is still required.
- The signals at Lytham are not for turning round later runing trains as I had been told previously but are to protect the crossing at Moss Side. It is due to a piece of equipment at Moss Side being removed as part of the works. Some sort of panel was mentioned.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've just got back from a car and foot trip to Kearsley and sites south. I took longer walks than usual and had the pleasure of good long talks to Orangemen.

In general the news is good, specifically:

1. Agecroft area is increasingly dangloid.
2. Work has started on a project to lay a concrete, stepped access path to the track from the unnamed lane which leads to Bridge MVE1/16 off Lumbs Lane. This may be the building work an Orangeman told me about a while ago.
3. Work has definitely started on a footbridge and paths to replace the footbridges either side of the M60 bridge (please see below).
4. Work has definitely started on a footbridge to replace Red Moss foot crossing between Horwich and the M61
5. Some booms fitted between Kearsley and Farnworth tunnel
6. De-veging continues apace
7. All work teams which were disrupted by Carillion's collapse appear to be protected and are gearing back up. A few sub-contractors secured other work when the balloon went up, so they will need to be replaced.
8. Some teams were unaffected, some were only directed indirectly, eg if plant was defensively removed from site. Buckingham, for example, are full steam ahead on the footbridges.

I was told of one of the problems which fall under the general heading of "difficult ground conditions." A cylindrical base pile was being driven in south of Lever Street, Bolton when suddenly it went from needing to be whacked in to going down by itself. In short it had entered a substantial undocumented Victorian drain. The site has been stabilised, but turning it from a remedial exercise to a safe and sound mast base will involve significant engineering input. This has been put out to tender.

I visited Cock Robin Bridge to try to get eyes on what is being done on the southbound side where there is a gap which I estimate to be three masts long. (I've put poor quality photos from trains in the Combined Volume a few times.) There appears to be two bases to be installed south of the bridge and one immediately to the north. The two to the south are even less visible than from trains, but the bridge affords a grandstand view of the one to the north, where I couldn't make out any base having been installed.

I walked the canal towpath from Park House Bridge Road (53.505051, -2.294063) to Bridge MVE1/16 at (53.518108, -2.308504) and back. This follows the railway for most of the way. My initial aim was to see if I could see any evidence of base work in the blank spot immediately north of Agecroft Road bridge. I could see what looked like excavated sand at one point, but little else, the towpath is on the opposite side of the canal from the railway and the railway climbs whilst the canal is level. The walk paid dividends when I got to Bridge 16 when I talked with my first affable and knowledgable Orangemen of the day. The walk is interesting and to be commended in its own right.

I then went to Dixon Fold bridge (53.530922, -2.341093) and walked the public footpath on the eastern side of the tracks (wellies are a MUST) to 53.528103, -2.330836, immediately north of the M60 bridge, where I met my next affable and informative Orangeman who was one of the Buckingham team setting up a workbase for a footbridge to serve both paths from the A666. Apparently Anderton Hall Lane footbridge is complete, but it awaits NR sign-off. I will post a diagram in the Combined Volume showing what is being built. The Red Moss worksite is on the western side of the tracks, which was why I missed it from the train on my northbound only trip on Friday.

Finally I visited Kearsley station, where new booms are evident, but the best bit was seeing white High Peak hills far beyond the tracks to the south. I fear my camera wasn't up to capturing them.

Photos later.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Thanks for the update Dave. I am still waiting anxiously for a photo or at least " it has arrived on site" for the big electrical kit at Lostock. The gen was that it was supposed to have happened in the last few days unless other things intervened.

wrinkley

Thanks for the update Dave. I am still waiting anxiously for a photo or at least " it has arrived on site" for the big electrical kit at Lostock. The gen was that it was supposed to have happened in the last few days unless other things intervened.
I drove past on Saturday and could not see any work going on. I would expect to see a crane in place to lift the units off transport and up on to the foundation on the banking. Also post 6074 says that the car park will be closed for three days when this happens, there is no advance notice of that yet.

I will be passing again tomorrow morning, so I will check and post the result.

ALX400

Many thanks for that detailed post Dave, very informative as always :D, I’m on late shifts shortly so will keep an eye out from Blackrod towards Preston, I know they have been installing the raised concrete bases in the cutting At Chorley just before the tunnel nightly recently, I’ve also noticed they have attatched the final arched shaped arms for the actual conductor wires to the booms just near Chorley Road bridge at Adlington then towards Blackrod :D

Geeves

Established Member
Yes it would appear my gen from the orange man was not to be correct so sorry for feeding out duff information. I guess we are just back to waiting and watching! Sorry again.

Thanks for all your photos Dave. I always look forward to your updates!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Many thanks for that detailed post Dave, very informative as always :D, I’m on late shifts shortly so will keep an eye out from Blackrod towards Preston, I know they have been installing the raised concrete bases in the cutting At Chorley just before the tunnel nightly recently, I’ve also noticed they have attatched the final arched shaped arms for the actual conductor wires to the booms just near Chorley Road bridge at Adlington then towards Blackrod :D

Hello ALX, good to hear from you as ever. You can earn special bonus points for 1. finding out if is Chorley Tunnel is danglified, 2. finding out if the Yarrow Viaduct just south of Chorley has any fixings on its outsides, because I can't see any on top and 3. taking any photos of the work on Red Moss footbridge north of Horwich; and what do points mean? Prizes!

I've added today's shots to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

ALX400

Hello ALX, good to hear from you as ever. You can earn special bonus points for 1. finding out if is Chorley Tunnel is danglified, 2. finding out if the Yarrow Viaduct just south of Chorley has any fixings on its outsides, because I can't see any on top and 3. taking any photos of the work on Red Moss footbridge north of Horwich; and what do points mean? Prizes!

I've added today's shots to the Combined Volume here:

Al try my best ;)

John Boy

As an infrequent poster but a regular reader of this thread I would just like to say how much I appreciate the links to all of the photos that members take and the detail descriptions of issues and progress reports. The detailed location stuff to a certain extent goes over my head as I don't know the route that well. A picture tells a thousand words as they say.

The photo of the train going through Farnworth tunnel with all of the dangley bits was an absolute cracker.

Had another trip into Manchester from HID today lots of muddy orange men de-vegging and some teams laying the ducting for cables.

The other thing that fascinates me is the variety of bases from a small bore tube, large bore filled concrete and one humungus concrete slab that must be the size of 2 double beds. Really kind of shows the difficulties that the orange men have to deal with and then engineers coming up with bespoke solutions for failed pilings that cost time and money to resolve.

The progress is very tangible and lets hope the make it for the December timetable.

LDECRexile

Established Member
As an infrequent poster but a regular reader of this thread I would just like to say how much I appreciate the links to all of the photos that members take and the detail descriptions of issues and progress reports. The detailed location stuff to a certain extent goes over my head as I don't know the route that well. A picture tells a thousand words as they say.

The photo of the train going through Farnworth tunnel with all of the dangley bits was an absolute cracker.

Glad you find it interesting and informative.

Aha! I reckon this answers the Yarrow Viaduct question. I aim to go past there tomorrow on my way to the Preston-Blackpool electrification talk at Preston.

LDECRexile

Established Member
In the light of info gleaned in the last couple of days here's an updated Salford-Euxton Jct worry list:

1. Missing bases Salford Crescent Platform 2
2. Missing bases Pendleton Old to Cockrobin Bridge
3. Missing bases North of Agecroft Road bridge
4. Structure to be installed between Agecroft Road bridge and Clifton station? Work has started on this next to Bridge MVE1/16 off Lumns Lane.
5. Power lines oversailing between M60 and Kearsley?
6. Foot crossings either side of M60 Work has started on diverting the footpaths to meet at a new footbridge on which work has also started, steelwork expected to be lowered on by rail crane April 2018.
7. Stalactites in Farnworth Tunnel? Yes, done, this item will be removed

8. Missing bases Farnworth station to Squeeze Belly Entry footbridge
9. Lever Street footbridge, demolish, replace, leave as is? New electric wires warning signs suggest the bridge is expected to survive past electrification.
10. Missing base Bolton Platform 5
11. Stalactites in Bullfield Tunnel?
12. Missing base(s) between Bullfield Tunnel and Newport Street, Bolton?
13. Big electric kit at Lostock Junction Latest intelligence says work will get cracking in March 2018
14. Incomplete footbridge Anderton Hall Lane Bridge complete but not signed off by NR, therefore not yet open.
15. Red Moss foot crossing between Horwich and M61 Work has started on a replacement footbridge
16. Missing bases on Yarrow viaduct south of Chorley? Work has started on fixings ("bases") on the outside of the structure
17. Stalactites in Chorley Tunnel?
18. Major problem base south of Lever Street footbridge? (new, additional item.)

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Good news:

"blackpoolbeach" has made a very welcome initiative and linked his flickr album of Blackpool area photos to the Combined Volume (CV).

To access them open the CV and click on the very first image. Look down the comments where you will see a whole load of links to other albums, blackpoolbeach is the last one.

All these albums are accessible to everyone using the CV and hugely expand its range. Their owners don't necessarily alert us when they add material, it's up to us as individuals to look from time to time.

The Combined Volume is here:

Thank you blackpoolbeach, welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.