• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaside14

Couple of shots at Poulton, working by the platform / bridge earlier today. The chairs & tables etc for the station cafe are also in evidence :D

20180412_123557.jpg 20180412_123559.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buspilot

Shame and totally dishonest that the only one train per hour has not been made widely known. National Rail Enquiries does not have this information and certainly shows all rail services as direct rail services with no bustitution at Preston.
Just having to rework my journeys for next week and the week after as a result, as my wife cannot travel by bus/coach as she would be violently sick traveling by bus. I am quite sure she is not alone. We have not been to visit family and friends because of the line closure/bustitution commenced as a result.
Northern should make it clear that it is only a partial reopening of the line and most journeys are ended/started by bustitution taking nearly an hour to/from Preston and Blackpool, with an obvious effect on travel times. That press release does not appear to have reached the places it should. There are going to be some unhappy people who think they should be on a train direct.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Shame and totally dishonest that the only one train per hour has not been made widely known. National Rail Enquiries does not have this information and certainly shows all rail services as direct rail services with no bustitution at Preston.
Just having to rework my journeys for next week and the week after as a result, as my wife cannot travel by bus/coach as she would be violently sick traveling by bus. I am quite sure she is not alone. We have not been to visit family and friends because of the line closure/bustitution commenced as a result.
Northern should make it clear that it is only a partial reopening of the line and most journeys are ended/started by bustitution taking nearly an hour to/from Preston and Blackpool, with an obvious effect on travel times. That press release does not appear to have reached the places it should. There are going to be some unhappy people who think they should be on a train direct.

Possibly deliberately quiet to avoid the single hourly train getting swamped with passengers?

LDECRexile

Established Member
*my emphasis

I'm puzzled by your statement; I've just looked at the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner and it shows an hourly train from Blackpool North to Preston, with a lone extra at 17:15.

Please disregard this if the NREJP site has been updated in the 50 minutes since you posted it.

Buspilot

Try looking at a through journey which is either routed via Preston or requires a change there. Up to an hour ago what you state was NOT the case.
Already the locals are complaining that they expected a full service back from Monday next. Why has this only come to light a few days before reopening? NR lack of trains or other issues? Not an issue for Virgin.

DJH1971

Established Member
Try looking at a through journey which is either routed via Preston or requires a change there. Up to an hour ago what you state was NOT the case.
Already the locals are complaining that they expected a full service back from Monday next. Why has this only come to light a few days before reopening? NR lack of trains or other issues? Not an issue for Virgin.

Slightly off topic and may have been mentioned before, but will Virgin eventually be using Pendolinos to Blackpool?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic and may have been mentioned before, but will Virgin eventually be using Pendolinos to Blackpool?
Yes, but not on the first up/last down, which will be the existing Voyager.
This is also the only train to call at Poulton and Kirkham.

The_Engineer

I have received a Tweet this afternoon from the Great North Rail Project that driver training is taking place tomorrow (Friday 13th April) between 06:00 and 22:00 hrs through Poulton Le Fylde.

Last edited:

nw-sparks

A train has made it to Blackpool North!

http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/12912764/13/04/18
Code:
Train 12912764 (S06314) 5Z09 09:30 Preston to Blackpool North

Location      Times WTT(Public)    Plat    Path-Line    Allowances    Activities
Preston                d. 09:30     2    - SL        Train begins.
Preston Fylde Junction p. 09:31                
Kirkham & Wesham       p. 09:38     1          
Poulton le Fylde       p. 09:45     1        Eng: 1    
DEVONSHIRE ROAD JN     p. 09:49½                
Blackpool North        a. 09:51     1            Train finishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Engineer

I am looking at the track diagrams on Open Train Times and trains are running in and out of Blackpool North. 5T17 just approaching Kirkham from Blackpool, 5Z11 just passed through Poulton for Blackpool and 5Z10 arrived in Blackpool platform 6, waiting to return as 5T18. It does seem some track circuit problems are turning some signals to red though, I assume trains are having to stop and contact signalman to proceed.

At Preston, the parcels platform is being used as a turn-round point. Four trains seem to be in use today and have been using all platforms at Blackpool North as far as I can see.

Last edited:

The_Engineer

If you have twitter, there's a video of the first Class 142 trainer arriving at Blackpool North on The GNRP feed posted 10 minute ago.

59CosG95

Established Member
So Northern etc are not calling either then?
Seems a waste of time and money for 1 train.
No, I think he's implying that the Voyager-operated VTWC service is the only one to call at Poulton-le-Fylde; the Northern-operated services will still call. The Pendolinos are the only stock that certainly won't call for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.