• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
I have been told by an authoritative Orangeman that a Pendolino is due to arrive at Blackpool North on Monday next, 21st May at 11:56. This is an extra, not a public, passenger-carrying service. At 12:20 it will be publicly and ceremonially (re)named, followed by refreshments.

Don't forget your cameras!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I have been told by an authoritative Orangeman that a Pendolino is due to arrive at Blackpool North on Monday next, 21st May at 11:56. This is an extra, not a public, passenger-carrying service. At 12:20 it will be publicly and ceremonially (re)named, followed by refreshments.

Hmmmm - where to go to get pics - Lea Road, Sidgreaves/Darkinson, Lea Lane, Salwick, Carr Lane Treales, possibly even Kirkham

moose2001

Engineering works cancelled this weekend on this route so trains running normally. V useful for me but does anyone know why the cancellation?

SansHache

The 0854 from Euston (1P92) is scheduled to arrive at Blackpool at 11:56 so this could potentially be a passenger service. I will see what I can find out. I think we can all be confident that it will be 390013 (in the Pendalbino livery) for the naming ceremony.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Perhaps when the ORR issues a certificate that allows for electric passenger trains to run? We are assured, though, that this will be THIS WEEK provided nothing showed up to prevent such on last night's runs.
Has this happened yet? Is it expected on Friday?

LDECRexile

Established Member
First Pendolino through Kirkham. Video here https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenward/27274920247/in/dateposted-public/
Please share or repost elswhere as you wish.

Smashing, thank you. Some time ago you agreed to have a flickr album of fine shots you created linked to the Combined Volume (CV). Will you be adding this film to that album? If so neither of us need do anything further, it will automatically become available to CV users. Whilst we're on the subject, do you have any more photos to add to it?

SansHache

Class 390 trains have now been approved for interim service operation on the Preston - Blackpool route. Class 323s have also been approved but only for Empty Coaching Stock moves at present (which would include driver training).

The_Engineer

Class 390 trains have now been approved for interim service operation on the Preston - Blackpool route. Class 323s have also been approved but only for Empty Coaching Stock moves at present (which would include driver training).
How about the Class 319s?

SansHache

More good news, the ORR have now authorised the NWEP Phase 3 electrification allowing passenger services to commence between Blackpool and Preston with electric traction from the timetable change on Sunday. Good to see all the hard work of recent months finally come to fruition.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I've just heard the same from another source.

Warm thanks and congratulations to all concerned with this significant progress to the nation's railways.

superkev

Established Member
More good news, the ORR have now authorised the NWEP Phase 3 electrification allowing passenger services to commence between Blackpool and Preston with electric traction from the timetable change on Sunday. Good to see all the hard work of recent months finally come to fruition.
Good news indeed but I can't help thinking the railway has let Blackpool down with 6 months of buses and disruption with the resulting station still with its unwelcomming no canopies platforms, same line speed as in Steam days and an initial longer journey time to Manchester.
K

Starmill

Veteran Member
Wahey!!! At last!! :D

unwelcomming no canopies platforms
I thought it was a bit odd that they didn't do any cosmetic work on the station buildings at all during the long period of closure. The toilets are as horrid as ever, for example.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Good news indeed but I can't help thinking the railway has let Blackpool down with 6 months of buses and disruption with the resulting station still with its unwelcomming no canopies platforms, same line speed as in Steam days and an initial longer journey time to Manchester.
K

6 months of buses or three years plus of overnight work, you choose...
"the railway" would have preferred to improve Blackpool North, who should have funded it?
Maximum line speed unchanged, but slow speeds raised giving biggest gain, who should have funded trifling gains beyond that?
Initial journey times disappointing because of Salford-Euxton, which has been a nightmare; how would you have dealt with it?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've just heard the same from another source.
Warm thanks and congratulations to all concerned with this significant progress to the nation's railways.

Good to mark new wires progress in the north.
It's 3 years since the last switch-on (Ordsall Lane-Victoria).
Maybe more resources for Salford-Euxton now.

DJH1971

Established Member
Looks like this part of the North West electricification project is coming to a satisfactory conclusion.

All eyes now on Ordsall Lane Junction to Euxton Junction

InOban

Established Member
A couple of pages ago there was a report saying there were just 56 (I think) masts to be erected. Not bases, which will be a smaller number. How many bases are still missing? Any news on the viaduct void problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.