• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LDECRexile

Established Member
A couple of pages ago there was a report saying there were just 56 (I think) masts to be erected. Not bases, which will be a smaller number. How many bases are still missing? Any news on the viaduct void problem?

I hope you are right, but I'm afraid I read it as "foundations", not masts. For "foundations" read "bases".

Having said that, I can't place 50-odd missing bases, the ones which spring to mind are the walled stretch immediately north of Agecroft Road bridge and Yarrow viaduct. The chief suspects may be in stations.

I'll be delighted to be shown to be wrong.

LDECRexile

Established Member
It now appears that the first public service electric train to Blackpool North will be 1N40 on Sunday 20th May from Manchester Airport to Blackpool North via Golborne, departing Man Air at 0833, Man Picc at 0852, Oxford Road 0853, Wigan NW at 0921 and Preston at 0935.

Paul and I plan to join it at Wigan NW, others welcome to join us.

Does anyone know better?

reg

Bolton-it would seem that the 4 masts in the Newport street area will be fixed to the retaining walls.Pic to follow

td97

Established Member
Good news, there's no "maybe" about it, starting Monday.
Does that mean VolkerRail have now been contracted to work on Manchester - Preston? Or is it the other subcontractors such as Murphy?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Heads up for anyone planning on travelling on Sunday the timetable is here and the one for next week excluding Thursday is here. One hopes that some of these trains are EMUs!!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Er, my brain hurts.

The timetable for Sunday kindly given by Starmill in Post #7359 shows an 0017 from Preston arriving at Blackpool North at 0041, originating from Liverpool Lime Street.

I'm blowed if I can find it on Realtimetrains, which, as far as I can see only shows buses before 5F04, the 0745 from the carriage sidings. That, in turn, begs the question of how the stock for 5F04 got to the carriage sidings in the first place, given that it shows as a Class 319.

Could Northern really be running their first ever public electric service into Blackpool at 0041, incognito??

LeylandLen

Er, my brain hurts.

The timetable for Sunday kindly given by Starmill in Post #7359 shows an 0017 from Preston arriving at Blackpool North at 0041, originating from Liverpool Lime Street.

I'm blowed if I can find it on Realtimetrains, which, as far as I can see only shows buses before 5F04, the 0745 from the carriage sidings. That, in turn, begs the question of how the stock for 5F04 got to the carriage sidings in the first place, given that it shows as a Class 319.

Could Northern really be running their first ever public electric service into Blackpool at 0041, incognito??

Surely it means Monday arriving Blackpool N at 0041 having departed Liverpool Lime Street at 2315 Sunday evening ?? That service is on RTT !!!

LDECRexile

Established Member
Well, I've looked again and again and the first timetable Starmill has linked to says in Plain English Preston - Blackpool Sunday 20 May and lists the second service (the first being a bus) as "P" (ie from Lime St) departing Preston 0017 arriving Blackpool North 0041. I still can't for the life of me see owt like it on RTT.

However, you may be on to something, maybe "Starmill's" (I know he didn't write it!) timetable is just plain wrong for that very first train?

Be that as it may, I've been told by an authoritative Orangeman that Class 319s have started appearing in Blackpool North carriage sidings, can anyone local get down there with a camera?

AM9

Veteran Member
At 12:15 LDECRexile asked me to post this as he is unable to:
"I have been told that class 319s have started to arrive at Blackpool North."

LeylandLen

Heads up for anyone planning on travelling on Sunday the timetable is here and the one for next week excluding Thursday is here. One hopes that some of these trains are EMUs!!

Im sure he means well, but I assume he was referring to a draft or previous timetable for Sunday May 20th , as the latest timetable for Sunday May 20th , as per Northerns site, gives different train times with the first services on the Sunday being trains at 0748 To Manchester and 0755 to Liverpool Lime Street , not buses at 0725 and 0750 as on the first page of the one he refers to . So the 2315 from Liverpool LS leaves there on Sunday eveing arriving Preston 0017, Blackpool 0041 Monday .

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Im sure he means well, but I assume he was referring to a draft or previous timetable for Sunday May 20th , as the latest timetable for Sunday May 20th , as per Northerns site, gives different train times with the first services on the Sunday being trains at 0748 To Manchester and 0755 to Liverpool Lime Street , not buses at 0725 and 0750 as on the first page of the one he refers to . So the 2315 from Liverpool LS leaves there on Sunday eveing arriving Preston 0017, Blackpool 0041 Monday .
Can you clarify who "he" is please? Also, do you have a link to the timetable that you are referring to please?

LeylandLen

Can you clarify who "he" is please? Also, do you have a link to the timetable that you are referring to please?

OK He is Starmill , post #7359 , its Northerns timetable starting tomorrow, its not difficult to find and check for yourself . Hope this works ...it is a public one.
http://www.northernrailway.co.uk ..use the 'Check train times '

However I see there is an amendment for the improvement works, which is not clear ,as it clearly states 'Due to last minute changes between Blackpool North and Preston services will start and terminate at Preston. which is incorrect as some trains do run. between Preston and BPN .So I ignored that and quoted the NEW timetable, all very confusing to me.

Last edited:

td97

Established Member
5F85 is now on its way to Blackpool North Car. M.D., calling at Pl4 BPN at 20:46 - should be a 319.

Loop & Link

It now appears that the first public service electric train to Blackpool North will be 1N40 on Sunday 20th May from Manchester Airport to Blackpool North via Golborne, departing Man Air at 0833, Man Picc at 0852, Oxford Road 0853, Wigan NW at 0921 and Preston at 0935.

Paul and I plan to join it at Wigan NW, others welcome to join us.

Does anyone know better?

Won’t be a 319, booked 156+158. Just for anyone going for it, they might be disappointed it’s not an EMU!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK He is Starmill , post #7359 , its Northerns timetable starting tomorrow, its not difficult to find and check for yourself . Hope this works ...it is a public one.
http://www.northernrailway.co.uk ..use the 'Check train times '

However I see there is an amendment for the improvement works, which is not clear ,as it clearly states 'Due to last minute changes between Blackpool North and Preston services will start and terminate at Preston. which is incorrect as some trains do run. between Preston and BPN .So I ignored that and quoted the NEW timetable, all very confusing to me.
Sorry but I don't understand your post, so that has made me confused too.

Railrover700

LeylandLen

Won’t be a 319, booked 156+158. Just for anyone going for it, they might be disappointed it’s not an EMU!
The above is from #7372 .....

Looks like it left MIA at 0833 , and Live Open Rail Data does in fact state it is class 319 EMU, although I stand to be corrected by anyone who actually is on the train or sees it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.